1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

As usual, the details are rather vague, save occasional limited write-up and general 'time is shit, everyone agree messing with time is uncool and make it forbidden forever'

Jarudazuigu likes this.
  2. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

3. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Welp, these Charms look so much more engaging than the dice tricks that are most Solar Charms.

kinglugia, Sol Mark-1 and Sydonai like this.
  4. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

I see that they elected to include no such charms from the Solar side of the bond. See, and disapprove.

5. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

Solar Charms go in the Solar book...oh wait, all the Charms in that book are useless dice-tricks.
    In all seriousness this is just a preview, there might be something in the actual book.

6. Valette-Serafina

I would be more inclined to believe that if even one Solar charm had been shown.

Sydonai likes this.
  7. Sydonai

It's specifically a preview of Lunar Charms, can you imagine the fit people would throw if they wasted word-space on more Solar Charms in a preview that's meant to be about Lunars?

Jarudazuigu, Aodh and Bre Karn like this.
  8. Valette-Serafina

It's a preview of charms that all have Solar/Lunar bond elements. Given that this is the first we've seen of EX3 Solar/Lunar bond, yes, I would like to see Solar charms there. That would convince me that the bond is supposed to be a two-way street.

I am currently not convinced, nor impressed.

Imabot and Sydonai like this.
  9. Bre Karn

Well, there's still Hallowed Bond of Night and Flame ;)

10. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

So... Mrl got retconned to have lunar alliance or outright retconned away.... Well...

Jarudazuigu likes this.
  11. tehelgee

??

Not what I read. It's that maybe!Merela tried to declare her right to rule by virtue of being the biggest badass, some Lunars took offense, and it snowballed into dragging in most the rest of the Solars/Lunars. The peace deal created the alliance that forged the bonds.

Instead of Merela getting slapped down and being forced to create the Deliberative. The Deliberative apparently came much late in 3E.

12. Valette-Serafina

Entirely in keeping with the way Ex3 is handling the first age.

Jarudazuigu and Stroth like this.
  13. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

So for those on here who care, Lunars kickstarter is up and already thoroughly funded.

Still most of a month to go if you have any desire to back or even just pledge a dollar to get a look at the manuscripts.

In any event, there's been some changes. Lunars are no longer Barbarian enthusiasts and Ma-Ha-Suchi is no longer Mr. Goat Fucker.

Also, on an unrelated note to 3e, Holden decided to be a crazy person and wrote up Exalted Vs World of Darkness as a fan book. I've got more about it over in the Homebrew thread since it seems more appropriate.

14. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

Unfortunately 3e has pretty much killed my interest in Exalted which is rather sad cause it used to really interest me.

15. tehelgee

I stayed away from it because Holden, but after you mentioned it today, I went and got it and read it.

It is sufficiently un-Holden-like that I can approve of it. I don't like the degradation of Sorcery, nor the buffing of Mages to being able actually mess with Exaltations.

Raging Iron Thunder likes this.
  16. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

The way I've heard it said, Holden does pretty good work normally. He just lets Morke talk him into stupid shit.

As for the Mage thing, he's got a quote about it in the Companion;

I can appreciate that sentiment.

17. tehelgee

He got up to enough stupid shit all on his own.

I can't. According to the book, the Exalted are not guests. They are the high-powered originals compared to the watered-down current inhabitants. If the Exalted themselves couldn't do it with Sorcery, Mages can't do it with their magic.

18. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

It's not an argument from an In Game perspective, but from a meta one. Exalted are "guests" in the sense that they're from a different gameline and getting dumped into the World of Darkness.

If you disagree with the idea that a Mage could in theory, if they were a Master of like three or four different Spheres just to make the attempt, mess around with an Exaltation then you can just say "Yeah, no."

Hell, it's what I do. I'm not personally found of the idea that anything short of narrative fiat is capable of messing with Exaltations and even then, they're pretty much throwing science magic at the wall and seeing what sticks.

That said, I can see where Holden is coming from, as a fan of both settings and not wanting to "delegitimize" Mage. I can respect that stance, even as I do something else in my own stuff.

19. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

In the Exalted setting there certainly have been things that messed with Exaltations.

The Jade Prison, the Abyssals & Infernals, the deterioration of the Lunars -- hell, even the Great Curse(s) probably count.

In some editions, various types of Exalt can take charms which modify their nature. IMHO that's the equivalent of messing with your own Exaltation.

So IMHO it should be incredibly difficult, but there's no inherent problem with Exaltations getting messed around. Not from their own setting's lore, nor from WoD's side either.

20. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Eh, Master Mages don't grow on trees (metaphorically..), and if they did they usually have better things to do than messing with Exaltation (for one, they need to recognize Exaltation first). So, I don't much mind.

21. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I agree with this stance. Kinda annoying for a dev to completely miss this point and just accept the claim that exaltation are impossible to modify/mess with when this was never true.

gale, Wwind, Sol Mark-1 and 2 others like this.
  22. Bre Karn

It should still be theoretically possible for an archmage to attempt it, but still be subject to the rule that Exaltations cannot be 'downgraded' (ie from a Solar Exaltation you get Solaroids like the Abyssals and Green Sun Princes, not barely-Terrestrials).

23. Sydonai

There is also that ever-important tag of "Host must have Free Will".
    edit:
    As well as "Exaltation cannot be removed while Host still lives", "Exaltations cannot be destroyed", and "The Exaltation chooses it's Host, not You".
    Although Infernals, Abyssals, and Alchemicals played around with that last one a lot they still had to abide by certain criteria.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  24. Bre Karn

After reading on the previews for the Lunar Kickstarter, I must say 3E did give them some love.

I'm a fan of the Wits Charms that let them give familiars human-level intelligence, and even initiate them into the Terrestrial Circle of sorcery.

25. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Kung-Fu Panda, now with real pandas?

26. Bre Karn

Unfortunately there is no Charm that lets you initiate familiars into Martial Arts :(
    Also, animal shapes are incompatible with Martial Arts Charms unless the ST adjucates otherwise on a case by case basis (such as with animal-themed styles).

27. Sydonai

It should be simple enough to IC design an MA style that your Familiar can use proficiently.

28. Bre Karn

Not in the spirit of things, apparently. MAs seem to explicitly be an extension of human skill, even if some of them draw inspiration from the animal kingdom.

29. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

Sounds like all kinds of bullshit. What human skill? All humans ever learned was what they saw someone else do, then copycat. Human see, human do.

So I find it highly laughable that martial art, wich is basically "add Essence to combat move" in Exalted, based off animal moves can't be utilized by human-intelligence animals.
    In Exalted humanity isn't special snowflake. They are the only sapient race running around because rest was genocided with extreme prejudice. Sapient ex-animals ... are totally not surprising with Demenses left right and center mutating the shit out of everything.

Take note that it isn't implausible for some mutated bear, who gained both Awekened Essence and Smart Brainz, to use said Essence while fighting wich once upon a time would result in Kung-Fu Panda.

30. Sydonai

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Beastmen turned out to be mutated animals rather than mutated humans, or more likely the descendants thereof.

Teln, Sol Mark-1 and Jarudazuigu like this.