1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Hmmm.. you know that makes me wonder.. If I understand it right, the important part for an Exaltation is the Soul Anatomy, right? You gotta have a Soul that is still human and all that.

So what happens if you stick a to-be Exalted person's soul into a dog/cat/bear/monkey etc... ? Can they still Exalt?

2. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I don't think such creature could exalt. Soul is made out of two parts. Lower soul that animals possess but sapient beings also have a higer soul. So putting someone soul into animal body that already have a different soul is like severing human in half and trying to attach his torso to a decapitated horse in hope you get a centaur.

I think closest you get to exalting such being is if it turns into a Liminal exalted.

3. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

also, even if they can still exalt, most Exalted charms assume human physical form as layout. there's a case of Solar that turn herself into tentacle monster and need to learn Infernal charms because her native charms can't be used with her new limbs.

Jarudazuigu and Sydonai like this.
  4. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

The non-humanoid form counts as "mutations" and are burned away. leaving behind a "close enough" approximation.
    Although IIRC this can only happen during exaltation, mutations or body-shifting that happen after exaltation can screw an exalt over.
    I think it might work under the situation of a human that has been transformed into an animal form, if their soul is still intact.

Jarudazuigu likes this.
  5. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Do the normal charms for inducting "mortals" into martial arts explicitly state that the mortal must be human?
    Do they actually? I am told that in exalted missing both eyes or both hands for example gives a trivial penalty to an exalt. And then there are charms specifically to work around it that end up giving a net bonus instead of just removing the malus

6. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

I don't even remember which Ex3 charms let do that! o_O

7. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

can't you just use Tiger Warrior Training?

http://exaltedpast.wikidot.com/charm:tigerwarriortrainingtechnique
    wait, is that the 3e or 2e version?

Jarudazuigu, Sol Mark-1 and Sydonai like this.
  8. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Sol Mark-1 and mrttao like this.
  9. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Sol Mark-1 and Sydonai like this.
  10. Sydonai

Roquemore and mrttao like this.
  11. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

mrttao likes this.
  12. Sydonai

Who stop being "mortal" the instant they get initiated.
    For some inane reason.

13. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Because they're more than mortal :V

14. Bre Karn

Don't they remain 'mortal' sorcerers who can't access the extra functions of spells that consume actual non-sorcerous motes?

Roquemore and mrttao like this.
  15. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

The whole "no longer mortal" thing is IIRC from some developer response rather than something in the book.

But yes, a mortal who becomes a sorcerer doesn't get an essence pool. Thus they can't benefit from some spells that has that as a requirement for some parts. Like how Invulnerable Skin of Bronze has "In addition, characters with an Essence pool gain access
    to the following powers while this spell is active:" for the three "powers" it grants in addition to the bronze transformation. Nor can they learn Martial Arts charms or attune artifacts.

16. Bre Karn

The way they handled Thaumaturgy and Martial Arts was criminal, IMHO. Sorcery is sweet, but they deserved better. *sigh*

17. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

what are they called?

18. Sydonai

"Sorcerers", because the Devs didn't bother to come up with a catch-all term for ex-Mortals.

mrttao likes this.
  19. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Lunar Kickstarter is ending. Get in within the next 3 days, if you want in on it.

Bit salty at the update revealed today. Lilith's background. Desus is gone entirely, Lilith is no longer the postergirl for being victimized by Solar Social bullshit. Instead, she went the Leviathan route and turned into her totem form for a few thousand years out of heartbreak. How utterly boring.

gale, Wwind, Sol Mark-1 and 5 others like this.
  20. Bre Karn

The way it is going, I guess we won't get Sublime Danger and her martial art in Many-Faced Strangers.

21. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

Are you really surprised considering what the rest of 3e is like?

22. Bre Karn

Yeah, starting with the misandrist Realm, the SJW pandering shit is really starting to sour me on the fluff aspects of 3E just like Charm bloat and dice tricks on the mechanical side.

23. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

They really tried to repeat the "success" of 4th edition of D&D? While misandrist Realm ... if you squint your eyes and ignore that there is little practical difference between genders of Dragon-Blooded as far as their combat potential go, I am curious what kind of retarded reason behind such misandry exists?

Raging Iron Thunder likes this.
  24. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

Since the book was written by different people it's a little bit inconsistent. So about 90% to 95% of the stuff about the Realm emphasizes how men are essentially blocked from any real authority position then there's also cultural and social stuff that also discriminates against men. Then the other % of stuff about the Realm has the male leader of Cathak be a serious contender to replace the Empress and then stuff about Ragara which all seems extremely inconsistent with the rest of sections on the realm.

25. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

But doesn't sorcerers also apply to exalted who know sorcery?

Sol Mark-1 and Sydonai like this.
  26. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Guys? Careful with Rule 8 please?

Prince Charon likes this.
  27. tehelgee

Not really, no. Exalted are Exalted, sorcery or not.

28. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I didn't say they stop being exalted. Not all exalted are sorcerers though, they have to undergo a process to be initiated into sorcery. An exalt who learned sorcery can be described as being a "sorcerer".

29. tehelgee

I meant, their status as Exalted trumps their status as sorcerers. It's their status as Chosen that will get mentioned first, even if you ask who knows Sorcery in the area. Even for Dragon-Blooded Exalts.

In my view, calling someone a sorcerer means that's their primary focus and ability. Appropriate, for mortal sorcerers. For Exalted, their Charms are more defining than their Sorcery is, if they even know Sorcery.

Sol Mark-1, Bre Karn and Jarudazuigu like this.
  30. backtoback

backtoback Getting sticky.

Most 'Enlightened' Mortals are unique one offs like Mist or that pirate with a sword made from her tears, or they got some Spirit blood in them or something.

Sorcerers are not considered 'mortal' in mostly the same way

Also we got Sublime Danger and her Thousand-Blades style, shame we didn't get the devs extra pay.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Sol Mark-1 and Jarudazuigu like this.