1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy Unassuming Corgi

Last time he tried to talk to the Zamarons he almost got his ass blasted out of the sky as soon as he entered the system.

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I’d imagine that might go against some sort of universal rule of magical bloodlines - like since canonically every generation has a Constantine, every generation must have a Zatara, and every generation must have a person of whatever Cornwall Boy’s family name is.

Obliviated fan and nobodez like this.
  3. Adrian Nightshade

Adrian Nightshade Making the rounds.

They could just have two kids. One for each bloodline.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well, Zoat is free to do what he likes, like make the Zataras a magical bloodline in the first place, but no such rules in the comics.

In Blue Beetle, dealing with the aftermath when the "rules of magic changed" because of the Spectre's genocide of the Lords of Order and Chaos, magical metahumans arose spontaneously, members of lost magical bloodlines that had gone dormant ages before.

Blue Beetle dealt with an entire gang of such individuals, the Posse, and the local crime lord, La Dama, started her own school for Magical Metahuman Youngsters Totally Not for Evil Purposes Honest.

5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Fortunately Paul has an environmental shield that makes him rather hard to eat. Sometimes "I brought protection" means condoms, and sometimes it means armor.

6. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Its not like they are the only ones who could continue their bloodlines, Robert has an uncle recently freed from prison who could still have a son and Zatanna has family in Italy.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm not good at writing stories, so I probably won't do it myself, but I'd enjoy reading an omake exploring Zatanna's feelings and her conversation with her dad when she woke up after the fight with Karfang. Then it goes to her perspective as Paul firmly puts down any chance of him loving her. And throughout the entire scene, she thinks to herself that it's the right thing to do, before going into her father's arms after OL leaves and just cries her eyes out.

8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The fun thing is that Cornwall boy bloodline only manifests itself on the males, so the problem is fixed by having a girl and a boy.

DrThoth likes this.
  9. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes, because that is like Paul. Taking a powerful asset and handing it to people who aren't his allies.

10. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

That just means he'll survive being swallowed whole so they can do it again later. Kinky.

11. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"I want to be inside you" certainly requires careful consideration of cultural connotations.

12. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Kinda boring but we will see where it goes.

13. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Don't give up, Zatanna! Sure your intended is playing hard to get, but true love will prevail!

ashadowalker and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

No, no, no. Don't do that. When someone tells you that it's not going to happen you stop pursuing them. Anything else is harassment. Most people can't control their emotions or desires, but you can control what you do about them. So, by all means, if you want to make yourself miserable make no attempt to move on, but do not continue to go after someone who's made it clear they're not interested.

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There is Baul in the mirror universe who can't afford to say no because he is the weakling of the team.

Also I just realised how much a Shit head Oh El is gor not offering the other him some help.

Like, if it was me and I had as much stuff as Oh El had, I would at least offered other me some stuff. Not the best because it would come to bit me in the ass, but at least something.

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

His blue alter ego is hamstrung by his slow recharge rate and the fact that he's not very good at hope. He struggles to go full industrial in the way the main SI does.

17. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

That gave me a horrible thought. Zatanna has been using Love (through the star sapphire staff) to enhance her magic, but could potentially go the other way and use magic to enhance her connection to the Violet light. They're taking away her staff... But I think she knows that Paul once called his ring back from Truggs, and also pulled other rings towards Earth from across the galaxy. She isn't enlightened... But again, she could probably enhance her connection to the emotional spectrum via magic, and replicate the feat. Even if she can't necessarily get the staff, she might be able to pull from Zamaron, or (accidentally) call the Predator. We've seen her on filtered Violet light, but if she winds up with unrequited love and unfiltered Violet light? That could be unpleasant.

18. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shouldn't he be unable to see the violet light? I mean, I'm assuming that we're seeing this from his perspective, as opposed to some sort of omniscient view as to when people feel things strongly.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that glance, but sure looks to me like "helpful Darkstar tutor" was also being 'helpful' enough to share the claimed rumor that Orange Lanterns can't feel love, which makes me wonder if Zatanna wasn't the only one thinking that out-of-sight might mean out-of-mind.

19. Mr Zoat

Yes, he couldn't see that. But I was colouring other people's emotions from the start of the story.

20. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

you mean you don't kill everyone they talk to in a desperate attempt to get them to love you? that doesn't make for fun drama though...

21. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I think their response to 'safe, sane & consensual' isn't "best two out of three".

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They're the only one's that it's willing to be safely contained by so it's not like Paul has much of a choice if "safe containment" is his actual endgoal.

23. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Yes, let's give the super-powerful emotional-spectrum-attuned artfiact to the society of xenophobic yanderes, nothing can POSSIBLY go wrong with that.

24. Threadmarks: Sybarite (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

13th January
    Probably
    And it's too early

I awaken to find myself rolling onto my front, into the warm hollow left in the mattress by..? Veronica, yes, I'd know the scent of her perfume and sweat anywhere. I may be perfectly capable of waking up instantly, but there's something enjoyably indolent about just being able to lie here while my faculties boot up. I close my eyes, breathing in her pillow. But.. indulging that drive would deprive myself of what might be the best part of my morning.

I raise my right shoulder and turn, looking over the duvet to where my… What's the term? Primary paramour, is bending down to recover her clothes, displaying her arse to its best advantage, bare but for the tail of her dragon tattoo. She hears the sheets rustling, and turns her head just far enough to confirm that I'm actually awake.

"Are you working today?"

Oh, it is delicious to watch her move around the room, her perfectly sculpted body taut and taunting, utterly confident in her nudity. But she gets snitty when I just stare at her.

What… Am I doing today? No, my sleep-fogged brain isn't suggesting anything. Best just bunt.

"Probably. Are you working right now?"

She picks up her knickers and then checks her hanger-hung dress, running her eyes over it to check for tears or dried fluids. Finding nothing, she deigns to look me in the eye. "Now, I'm going to shower, then I'm working."

"As you will."

"Our company isn't going to achieve its performance targets if we stay in bed all the time, Sybarite." She adds her underwear to the hanger then turns away to walk towards the en suite shower. "Do I need to check your diary for you, or are you actually going to wake-"

I transition myself right in front of her, naked and good enough to eat.

"-up."

She nearly walks into me but gets her hands up, pressing them against my chest to stop herself.

"Nothing I do is time-sensitive, you know that. But if it buys you half an hour, I don't mind-."

She exhales somewhat sharply as she walks around me and pushes the bathroom door open. I knew she was.. driven when I first sought her out, but I'm… A little concerned…

"Veronica, you are..? You know that our continued cooperation is in no way contingent on you fucking me, right? If you're.. unhappy with-."

"You sought me out for my business skills. This is the schedule I need to keep to do the job. Do you want me to stop doing the job?"

"No, of course not."

"Then don't take it so personally." She reaches into the cubicle and turns the shower on. "I enjoy our time together perfectly well. It's just not the only thing that gives me satisfaction."

I nod. "Understood."

She steps into the cubicle, and I turn and walk out of the bathroom and towards the apartment… No, the suite's main windows. What a way to start a morning. But that's the point, isn't it? Wake up in space with nothing but the pyjamas on my back and a power ring… If your starting resources include 'power ring', you're not exactly under equipped, are you? Rather, you're somewhere completely new. No one has any expectations of you, you haven't entered into any agreements which bind you. You can do whatever you want.

I walk over to the… It's ridiculous, really. To the button which pulls the curtains back. If I'd actually followed through on my initial impulse to speak to Alan Scott when I first arrived, things might have gone rather differently. As it was, pretty much tripping over an incubus mid-hunt provided me with a perfect opportunity to try plan B first.

I press the button, the curtains smoothly retracting and revealing a panoramic view of the Nairobi National Park. I find it mildly amusing that this pinnacle of luxury is literally called The Pinnacle. Not exactly imaginative

The whole thing has turned out that it works pretty well. So far. Once I was sure that eating demons was a viable way to fuel the ring, I implanted it in my chest to prevent myself being separated from it and to make it harder for potential enemies to work out where my power actually came from.

I etherealise, floating past the window and out into the morning Nairobi sunshine. Plenty of work for a high-end super… Super person in Africa. And plenty of grateful governments happy to sign off on schizo tech research and development. Which is where Veronica comes in. Someone like Ted Kord or Bruce Wayne would rather gallivant around in a primary coloured costume than knuckle down to the real work of fixing the planet. Luthor has that distracting Superman fixation, Alva… Doesn't even bear thinking about. Veronica 'Roulette' Sinclair on the other hand has a delightfully pure motivation: money.

With no stake in the energy supply market she was perfectly happy to manage the development of Theodore Knight's cosmic converter as a new form of civil power generation. With no stake in Africa's existing political setup she was perfectly happy for me to violently dispense with the most violent and corrupt parts, and perfectly happy to forge links with the beneficiaries of my purges. With no stake in the pharmaceuticals industry, she was perfectly happy to use xenotechnology to massively undercut the continent's major suppliers. With-.

I'm naked, aren't I?

Huh. No, it's no problem. I'm high enough up that I doubt anyone can-.

"Sybarite. Did you forget something this morning?"

I turn slightly to my left… And smile at Wonder Woman.

"That's right! I was going to nag you about the purple healing ray again today, wasn't I?"

"You expressed an interest in pleading your case once more. Should I come back when you're…" She runs her eyes over me, then returns them to my face, where she gives me a look of mild matronly disapproval. "Better prepared?"

I shrug, and fabricate a pair of swimming trunks. "There. Now we're equal."

She appears to decide to let that pass. "You have insisted -repeatedly and emphatically- that you should be given access to the design specifications for the purple healing ray. Why?"

"Because it's exactly the sort of amazing technology I'm making it my business to ferret out, and because you're clearly not using it. I'm perfectly happy to give whoever invented it full credit, but it needs to be put into-."

Her face hardens slightly. "Are you aware that you're trying to mentally influence me?"

"A bit or a lot?"

"That isn't an answer."

"I don't think I mind control people, but I have noticed that they can seem a bitAgreeable, sometimes." Her eyes narrow slightly. "And if you can honestly tell me that you're not using your demigoddess powers to tell whether or not I'm being honest right now, then you can berate me for it."

"While I might be prepared to trust someone with the use of the purple ray, your personal conduct -using your abilities to affect my judgement- does not lend itself to such faith. To say nothing of all of the people you-"

"Ah-."

"-are reputed to have killed."

"But it's convenient, isn't it, for certain people to disappear in a way not at all attributable to the Justice League?" She regards me levelly. Maybe taking a picture of Vandal Savage flying into the sun was a bit much. "How about we spend the day together, so you can have the opportunity to better assess my character?"

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  25. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

A bit much? Or a bit just enough?

26. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Oh boy.

FeepingCreature likes this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"You sought me out for my business skills.

She reaches into the cubicle and turns the shower on.
    (Unless the shower space is perfectly cube-shaped...)

She steps into the cubicle...
    (Unless the former word was intended, then? I'm guessing here.)

So, that's the main divergence: He didn't get the Lantern, and started eating Demons, hence the odd font. I wonder how much of his soul is hellstuff and how much is Orange?

...I implanted it in my chest to prevent myself being separated from it...
    (And wasn't that an early SB point of discussion about the Ring?)

His equivalent to phasing? I'm guessing he operates a lot more arcane-style than OL or even Grayven does...

He only notices that NOW? Wow, he is hedonistic.

Welp, a more villianous/anti-heroic alternate. I'm guessing the whole demon-eating thing has made his outlook a lot more aggressive on the uplift front as well. Also, skirting the edge of SFW now that we're on QQ?
    (This didn't have anything to do with GW announcing the new Slaanesh Daemon range, did it? ;))

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  28. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

Hmm, so this is what happens when you fuel an orange ring with Lust demons.

Interesting.

29. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I find it really amusing that this depiction of OL may end up having more of a positive impact on Earth than the more "Heroic" version.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It is, it's still three days away from April 1st.

I am sure regrowing from one of the many bodypart pieces he has scattered across the Earth was a real inconvenience to him. :p