1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So the Watsonian explanation is: it depends on the Universe it takes place in. In this case, nothing we know about power rings outside of Young Justice necessarily applies. While in one multiverse they might have a specific limit of power, in another it might be completely different. Basically, even if they’re sometimes the greatest weapon in the universe, doesn’t mean they always are. They have different emotional entities (if any) and different built-in limiters.

Obliviated fan and Prince Charon like this.
  2. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I agree with most of that, except for the "Watsonian" part. There isn't a in-universe explanation because there isn't a "universe". DC are not even consistent enough to have any sort of meta-universe for all of their fiction (some, yes, but by far not all), so you can't even speak in terms of "in the overarching multiverse covering all of the installements green lanterns appear in...".

You have to explain it in reference to the real world. "Watsonian" and "Doyalist" distinctions don't even begin to apply.

infinityDivided likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

24th January
    03:34 GMT -8

The completely generic construct Controller takes a moment to look at us, though he doesn't affect any particular emotion. 'Effigy' comes to attention slightly, so I'm going to assume that this is indeed the Controller he's affiliated to. Hinon looks.. mildly satisfied? I'm guessing that she was reasonably confident she knew who it was in advance and just got confirmation.

"It appears, Jevek Jos Jar, that we have had a slight breakdown in communications."

"That would imply that we were attempting to communicate. I have been occupied with my own research, as have you."

"You were researching the Burning Martian?"

"I am continuing to research the Burning Martian. I believe that I could use it as the basis for a new type of powerful and controllable weapon-servitor. In addition, I have been studying your own species. Amongst the range of 'meta human' abilities there were some that appeared to synergise well with certain aspects of martian physiology." The image turns to face Effigy. "Martyn van Wyck was a minor telekinetic-."

I can't stop my face twitching at the idea of someone named 'Wyck' having hair made of fire. Wick, burning… Is it an aspect of the universe's magic I don't understand? Did the Controller go through a huge list of people with minor mental talents and pick the one with the best-sounding name?

"Does this amuse you, Illustres?"

"You gave a person called 'wick' fire powers." Mr van Wyck narrows his eyes for a moment, then shrugs. "I realise that some Maltusians lack a sense of humour-."

"Yes, his name sounds somewhat like the English word 'wick', but that was not part of the selection criteria. His innate telekinetic abilities reduced the time it took for his brain to adapt to the modifications I made. That was why he was selected."

"And you gave him a choice?"

"He could have refused. A willing participant is far better placed to provide me with good data than one whose brain I have had to program in order to compel loyalty."

"And the mission you gave him?"

"Pirates are parasitical to interstellar trading routes. Your home Sector lacks a unifying military power strong enough to purge them, and its Lanterns are too frequently occupied dealing with emergencies to tackle the issue in a co-ordinated way."

"And it's my home sector too. I don't want space pirates attacking Earth."

"They don't.. generally.. attack planets. And if they were going to attack Earth they would have done so by now."

"I simply sought to give him a target of no moral significance. Is there a reason why you are vexed by my choice?"

"Mister van Wyck doesn't appear to have any training in conducting investigations. Were you.. expecting him to fly around until he encountered a crime in progress?"

"The extent of his ability to locate his targets is a part of his assessment. It is also his responsibility rather than mine."

I frown, then look at Hinon. "What, really? Controllers don’t have any sort of 'best practice' rules?"

She shakes her head. "You are more familiar with those Controllers directly associated with the war against the Reach. Since their objective is essentially political, they generally have more of a care for the look of the thing. But there is no requirement for Controllers to be involved in that war. Actually, taken over the whole of our history, I would say that it is Jevek's attitude that is the more usual."

Marvellous.

"Jevek, would you have any objection to Mister van Wyck getting advice or training?"

"It is not ideal. I do not intend for my work to be subordinated."

"Oh, not… This again."

"Hinon?"

"There were a great many research projects examining… The possibilities of developing exotic weapons to bring a more satisfactory end to the conflict with the Reach. But now that we have the Orange Central Power Battery and a Corps of our own-."

"We do not own it. The Guardians would never grant their mortal agents the level of freedom which you did."

"If you think that you can talk the Guardians into granting us access to the Green Central Power Battery then you are welcome to ask. As I have made very clear, the sorts of people who can use the orange light well would not respond productively to that level of external control." Hinon shakes her head in frustration. "My development of the Corps has resulted in a great many of those projects being rendered… Less important."

"Lantern Corps are only able to recruit people with specific mental attributes. The Orange Lantern Corps is already encountering a bottleneck in its ability to recruit new members. Lanterns are superlative in situations where a wide variety of approaches are called for to effectively fight opponents of unpredictable capacity, which makes them ideal for policing. However, for open warfare what is required is not finesse but brutality. Destroying the Reach calls for forces whose damage output is not dependent on the warrior's mood."

"That's.. why we're building a fleet."

"A fleet which can be stopped by conventional interdiction systems unless it gets towed into position by Lanterns. My first attempt at modifying a human resulted in someone who can fly at faster than light speed using telekinesis, who can unleash levels of destruction which rival those of a Lantern and which are not dependent on his mood."

Hinon frowns. "Are you trying to recreate the Sun-Eaters? There are reasons why we stopped using those."

"The Guardians are less numerous now than they were when they formally objected to their existence. They are no longer in a position to press us over the issue."

"Sir..? Sun-Eater?"

"A synthetic life form the Controllers created. They used it to demolish star systems."

"Which as far as the universe was concerned made us the enemy."

"This model has nothing like the destructive capacity. He might scour a world of life but he will never be able to destroy an entire star system."

"How much importance do you think that people will place upon that distinction?

"You prefer to contain the Reach?"

"I see little benefit in the slaughter of a defeated population."

"Killing them ensures that they are defeated." He turns towards his subject. "Martyn van Wyck. I instruct you to resume your attacks."

"Yes sir. Ah, but I think Orange Lantern was right about being more careful. Is it alright if I-?"

"I leave the precise approach up to you."

"Alright. I think-."

"Warning: Will detected."

We look up as Green Lantern John Stewart flies down towards us, green power armour covering his body. And I think he's wearing decent armour underneath it as well. I feel a little smug about that.

"Somebody want to tell me what the hell is going on?"

"Maltusian anti-piracy-."

"This is not acceptable." Jevek turns to Mr van Wyck. "Leave. Now."

Burning lights envelop Mr van Wyck-

"Yes sir."

-and he vanishes in a plume of fire. John's eyes go upwards and from the glow of his ring I can tell that he's thinking about doing the terrier thing and chasing after the person running from him. He shakes his head, and turns his attention to the three of us-.

Jevek's construct dissipates.

Two of us still present.

"Keep talking."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  4. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

ah interdepartmental conflict.

I love a good bit of office drama ^_^

5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... seems like the best practical thing is to include an automatic off switch in the effigy corps, so that they CAN’T go crazy and cause excess collateral damage without permission. Other planets have weapons of that scale, so just having them shouldn’t be a problem.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

The problem seems to be not that the Controllers can't restrain their creations; it seems to be that the plurality, or even majority, don't particularly care to. Jevek, for instance, seems to think that Sun Eaters were a great idea whose time has now come as the Guardians can no longer forcefully object to their existence.

Welcome to blue-orange morality. :p

7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It's very odd, since they call themselves 'Controllers,' that so many of them seem to have so little interest in control (or seem to have contradictory degrees of interest in control).

8. Mr Zoat

They care about exerting control across the universe. They don't particularly care about controlling individuals.

9. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Nice update.

It looks like effigy actually has a interest in learning to be better. I did NOT expect that at all and am now very interested in what happens with his character as well as the internal divisions within the controllers.

Great job.

10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Sit on it, John. The Controllers owe you nothing. Politeness is the strategy of the day here, certainly the only one that will get results.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Would 'whose' fit better here? Otherwise it's 'who has brain' or 'who is brain'. "Spock's Brain" flashback...

Oh, sure, it sounds logical when you say it like that, but...

...Then you do this. Some guidance, perhaps?

Actually, taken over the whole of our history, I would say that it is Jevek's attitude that is the more usual.
    (Unsure here).

I can feel the facepalm building already...

Ugh, smug superior-acting jackass.

The Guardians are colossal dicks who have been mainlining the Light of Stubbornness for a couple of million years...

"The Guardians are less numerous now than they were...

Even the new guy thinks that sounds bad...

Oh, that makes it soooo much better... And you notice the Controller isn't talking about Mister van Wyck as a person, but as a weapon? That's.. significant.

"Killing them ensures that they are defeated."

Well, he is a (former) Marine, isn't he? Of course the soldier understands the benefit of protective gear.

Boy, Jevek needs a slap upside the head. If you keep making super-villian superweapons like this, of course people are gonna treat you like a super-villian! He will need watching...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  12. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Odds that Manchester Black is going to get recruited for the Effigy Corps?

timeForced and RichardWhereat like this.
  13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow. It's like that Controller never learned.How is giving people Lantern-level powers without an off-switch in the form of a remote controlled ring in any way an acceptable level of risk? After everything that already happened?

nick012000 and Prince Charon like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Who says he doesn't have an off switch? o_O

16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Do the rings actually have off switches?

17. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

hahaha this is the guy from Mandated!:D:p
    Yep! There is no way this will blow up in his face:rolleyes:;)

18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You know, one of the main issues here, is that some of these controllers don’t get the benefit of “soft” power - (as I understand it) building a reputation, and becoming valuable as an economic / political force, as opposed to pure displays of force (hard power). While there are certain real life politicians who don’t get this either, they are some of the ones people get most angry about.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Congratulations, I fell into your cunning trap of you proving me right.

You somehow failed to comprehend that I did read the comic book when I quoted the comic and told you what page was relevant.

As for the comic itself-

Alan chose the planet in advance.

The wooden ants focused on Alan.

Not a single wooden ant was shown to attack Hal.

And Hal wasn't even at the campsite when they were attacked.

So your theory that requires that Alan took them to a planet with wooden ants, which Hal attacked, which somehow resulted in the ants ignoring Hal completely while traveling en masse to target Alan, while Hal was following them to the campsite, yeah, how about a theory that actually makes sense?

You know, like Hal used the decades long established power of a green lantern to manipulate matter, just off the top of my head.

In the comics, the Controllers are called the Controllers because they have telepathic mind control powers, mind control is their idea of soft power.

Which is why I've been amused by Paul seeking to ally with them from the first time it's been mentioned, DC presents the Controllers as the douchebags that make the Guardians look like a bunch of zen stoners.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They should have at least three of them each from a different source, assuming Zoat didn't decide to retcon them out to make his stories Lantern Rings more powerful.

21. Mr Zoat

Technically, no. This version never did the things which led to the other version becoming the Time Trapper.

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but unless those switches apply to any ring, and not just green lantern rings, they might not have been built into the latest batch of rings, or Paul’s ring. The Ophidian could probably stop sending energy to the rings, but there’s little direct control there from the Controller’s perspective. They could have built in an off switch when they were made, but again, unless they’re built somehow into the very basic technology of the rings, these aren’t the canonical orange rings, or even the green ones.

infinityDivided and Ardy like this.
  23. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Would you two just make out and get it over with? Jesus.

E: Also this is my first post apparently? Huh. The power of lurker compels you!

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The first two, IE Volthoom and Krona's, should for sure since they are based on the Rings technological architecture instead of it's software.

Moral of the story, don't crib your designs from other people's tech.

nobodez likes this.
  25. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Arguing with Vaermina is a pass time, you have to indulge his madness every so often to fight against his "interpretations" in regards to DC canon otherwise his head gets way too big.

Anyways welcome to the thread.

26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

John is a Marine powered by incredible will. They don't exactly drill those guys to be incredibly flexible.

nobodez likes this.
  27. RichardWhereat

He's a space cop who's had to meet many different alien societies, and many different alien people. If he were that inflexible, he wouldn't last. Especially talking to people who might as well be Gods.

The Controllers are certainly older than any earth gods.

28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Eh, debatable. At best they're as old as the universe and that's only a little more than a day and a half for Brahma.

29. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

This is MY goddamn stapler, and for the love of Santa you WILL stop using my post-it notes.

30. RichardWhereat