1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I would like clarification, because it sounds like this
    means there are a whole lot of itinerant farm workers who are in jail for the crime of being poor and probably undocumented, and working for next to no pay in back breaking conditions, and having been doubly unfortunate enough to do so in a farm with a tangential tie to the syndicate.

2. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sure, but isn't that the reaction heroes always have to the idea that rooting out crime will have negative consequences?

I mean, even in the standard DC universe, the answer to "We can't take down these criminals because it might cause too much collateral damage" is almost always going to be "Fuck those odds; we're going to remain righteous and true, take down the criminals and stop whatever scheme they have to cause damage." "We have a doomsday device and we're not afraid to use it" is just another Tuesday, not an automatic "I win" button for the villain.

Rule of law? Since when do heroes care about that? The idea that taking down criminals is more important than civil rights is practically one of Batman's bedrock principles.

From a standard hero perspective, the only problem here is that the heroes might not have enough firepower to pull it off, not that the goal is a bad one.

nobodez and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

However I may feel about immigration law in this purely fictional setting, most countries have rules which restrict entry to people not native to that country.

The apple seller sold an apple to someone they suspected was a criminal. Selling apples is not in itself a crime. Also, that happened while Governor Wilson was purging his own state and well before the current day.

Anyone using the Kents to enter the country illegally committed a crime in doing so, and quite likely has been involved in criminal activity (farming narcotics) since.

4. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

You guys can debate all you want. But its obvious to me that this country needs President Slade. Only he can lead our country from this decay.
    SLADE FOR THIRD TERM!

5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

You've lived a life of villiany. You admit to crimes ranging from theft to murder. You are the remaining leadership of what amounts to a super powered mafia. One that kept the populace in line through terror of the sheer brute force you could bring to bear.

Suddenly, you are at the disadvantage.

You reap what you sow villian-man.

Now, on top of this you use doppelganger trickery to kidnap me and a young friend of mine so you can have use save your worthless hide?

Simply up and going home is the NICEST thing I can do for you.

Playing on shame won't save you either. I heavily support Bash Back.

Intercede on your behalf to get you let off the hook? HAH!!!!

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shouldn’t there be a Lord of Order Klarion running around? He might be reasonable and value a solution that minimizes mass destruction (Nabu-16 might not have, but I’m sure all Lords of Order don’t act the same way). It’s of course possible that Doctor Chaos dealt with him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The status quo was already upset past the point of no return when the Justice League showed up and took out most of the Syndicate leaders.

Right now it's only a matter of time till Slade finishes the Syndicate off.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

it was more a joke playing on the fact that Zoat seems to have a mild disdain for the new 52

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    BR549 likes this.
  9. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

He wouldn't even need the Ophidian, he could just make use of the lack of Scry Wards, locate all the powered Syndicate members and just brand them one by one, he wouldn't even need to make them stand down, just adjust their desires so that they wont commit mass murder as response to Slade.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

Do you think that Enigma and Slade would actually be willing to accept this type of sudden and relatively non-violent victory? The psychological issues that are driving them to intensify the conflict with the Syndicate will not suddenly go away once victory is achieved.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

This wouldn't give them a non-violent victory, its would just make sure their conflict doesn't results in millions of civilians dying.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

You picked up on that? I hadn't realised I was being so obvious.

zerofarad, DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

So... Just watched episode 14.

Turns out that Barda is still on Team Apokolips. Which presumably means that Scott Free isn't on Earth. Also, liked Guy's singing.

Drode, DrThoth, Gladiusone and 6 others like this.
  14. narukaze132

narukaze132 Getting some practice in, huh?

Is this supposed to be "country"?

Mr Zoat likes this.
  15. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Even though this mission seems like a total bust, there are some upsides. There are some real nice super tools up for grabs in this universe.
    Power rings, spears of destiny, and maybe even a medusa mask. Point being time to grab some shines and leave before OL fucks with something that can fuck him back.

16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed! Also raid any and all databases with in easy reach for useful tech or what ever. Maybe also take this Earth's version of the things Nylor Truggs used against OL if they can be found on this earth.

Vorian, Bramble Thorn and gustyeagle like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

5th February
    20:43 GMT -5

I frown in mild confusion as Lamprey and Sea Witch promenade through the great hall, exchanging polite greetings with several Made Men.

"I never heard how Lamprey ended up… Like that."

Jonathan Kent watches me impassively for a moment. "Not like your version, y'mean."

I nod. "I recognise Nanauvian blood magic, though he seems far more advanced than anyone I've heard of at his age. It's his.. attitude that I can't place."

Mister Kent makes a small shrugging gesture. "Kidnapped when he was a kid. Some crazy shark wizard wanted t' see if surface worlders could learn blood magic. Lamprey was the only one who survived, an' he ate his teacher 'bout the same time as Barracuda's army broke through the city's walls."

"Sure, I was there when he told our Kaldur that. And that would explain the brutality, not…"

Jonathan's eyes follow his team mate for a moment. "Guess after what he went through, he learned not t' wear his feelin's on his sleeve. An' since his power comes from eatin' people, he usually goes 'zero' t' 'three hundred' in no time flat."

"Our Tula's dating our Garth, but he said that he ate your Garth."

"Oh, that ain't the creepy thing." Jonathan takes a sip of his beer, his eyes moving around the Great Hall. "You hear how that happened?"

"No." I smile at him. "Go on, horrify me."

"Our Garth was a junior officer in the Shayeris army. Him an' Tula were engaged, an' they were gonna get married once the Nanauvian campaign was over. He was doin' such a good job Barracuda invited him t' eat with the senior officers." Jonathan smiles unpleasantly. "Only he runs his mouth about Barracuda bein' an 'inferior surface dweller'. Barracuda takes it, then sics his assassin on him. Lamprey kills an' eats him, then decides that that means he gets Tula as well."

"Ah."

"So her family thinks, okay, the king's nephew's dead, and this Nanauvian guy's in tight with the Emperor's half-brother and he's goin' places, so they okay it. Tula weren't so keen, but I guess she figures she can put up with it 'til she can poison him. Only she puts the poison in his food."

"And he detects it with magic, because the entire focus of his magic is eating."

"Which she never bothered learnin', cause she's a stuck up bitch. But he figures, okay." Jonathan shrugs. "It's just poison. No big. They're married, right? And it weren't gonna kill him even if he hadn't spotted it. But he can't let it go completely. So he rips out her right eye, tears off her right ear and bites off one of her fingers, and eats them."

I jerk my head away from him and back towards her. "She appears to have all her parts."

"Atlantean wizards can grow stuff back. Her irises 're a slightly different color now, but other than that you'd never know. Only now, any time he wants, Lamprey can see everything she sees, hear everything she hears and feel everything she touches. Said if she tried it again he'd eat part a' her brain, too."

Ew.

Jonathan smiles. "Yeah, thought you'd like that one. Now what the fuck are you doin' here?"

"Capo Scott felt that my alter ego's absence would weaken the Management position."

Jonathan grimaces. "New Management bein' weak weakens the New Management's position."

"You want to say that to Capo Scott's face?"

That earns me a small glare. "Had Blue chewin' my ear off fer a year about keeping it cool. I get it. But I still think we could win."

"Win..?"

"Us against the Underground, against Luthor. Fuck it, us against the goddamn army."

"Jonathan, even-."

His eyes harden. "Ultraboy. I'll take 'Jonathan' from Blue, not from you."

"Ultraboy… What's the Syndicate for?"

He frowns, puzzled. "What d'ya mean?"

"What is the Syndicate for? I threw a similar question at my parallel's Justice League once, and I'm still not convinced that they know. Your father was Management. One day, you might be too. You should probably have some idea of what the organisation is for."

"'Who profits?'"

"Which means?"

"What, your ring don't do Latin? 'Who profits?' What d'we get out of it? What's the benefit, what's the angle."

"Who profits from unlimited revenge? Is anyone paying you to kill all those people?"

"No-."

"Your father gave up his grudge with Owlman in order to beat President Wilson, because that's what he needed to do to keep the business going. Your father couldn't beat the Justice League-."

His beer bottle shatters as his right hand clenches into a fist. "My Pa got ambushed. Wilson had ta' land a nuke on the moon base."

"Not the point. Luthor still has his planar portal. He has access to thousands of parallel universes. Even in the event that the Syndicate could beat this entire world -and you'd have to, because people know about Owlman's bomb now- then Luthor-"

"I know the bomb was stupid-."

"-could call for aid from as many Justice Leagues as it took. One League stopped your father. One League, and the threat of one tactical nuclear device. If you pick a fight with this whole world, that includes two countries who wouldn't mind all that much if they had to carpet-nuke America to stop you. And even if you could win, there'd be nothing left; scorched earth, depopulated and wrecked cities, radioactive fallout and a nuclear winter. As a wise man named Wilson Fisk once said: 'there is no profit to be made in the destruction of the planet', and there really isn't. Am I getting through?"

He looks down at his right hand, brushing the glass and residual beer off his skin. "Yeah. Sure. I'm gunna.. go circulate."

"Sure. Enjoy yourself."

He walks away, and a quick look inside him shows his conflicting desires battering against each other, with the one where M'gavv ties him up and-. Okay, not strictly relevant.

I shake my head, and take a look at his other new team mates.

Their Raquel survived one of Owlman's experiments involving what I suspect was their Arnus's ship. Arnus himself appears not to have survived into the modern day, though given that his ship gave him a human-seeming face and he could look like anyone I suppose that I shouldn't assume anything. She has flight, super strength and endurance and calls herself 'Skud'. She also seems… Kind of out of it, though whether that's intoxication or a result of Owlman's treatment I don't know. She's talking to Jackie Quick at the moment, or… Rather, being talked at by him, though she seems happy enough with the situation.

Their Tula appears to be a pure caster rather than a battlemage. No Robert, no Donna, no Beryl, Roy or Canis, or Leonid or Amon. I know that in the Earth 2 comic J'onn J'onzz guessed that the Syndicate's villainous nature made it hard for them to make allies, but that doesn't seem to be a problem here. I guess it's the utter battering the Syndicate's been getting recently that makes it a less appealing organisation to sign up to.

I wonder what the best way to get a few more of these people on-side is? I've got a sound argument, and doing what I want gets them what they want; they get to avoid dying to President Wilson's enforcers or executioners, they get to fight and dominate and get paid for it. But anyone without allies or subordinates in a gathering like this is going to have an uphill struggle. Zatanna would probably get more recognition than me, but she's busy pumping the Don for information on the Zatara crime family-.

And then I hear the guitar.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  19. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh, there are more than a few dozen parallel universes. Good to know.

Wheenesss and Handlewithcare like this.
  20. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Now I wonder the Syndicate will want to try that? Or maybe just pull up stakes and invade some other universe.

21. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh shit. Who is it going to be? I'm hoping for a mercenary Plastic Man myself.

Also, I absolutely love that scene. A assassin so badass he sings you a song before he kills you. I really should make a bard based on him someday. (Please note I didn't say good assassin. The best assassins have no renown whatsoever)

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That says a lot about the wizard's safety practices...

Jonathan takes a sip of his beer, his eyes moving around the Great Hall.

"You keep what you kill. It's a classic."

Tula weren't so keen, but I guess she figures she can put up with it 'til she can poison him.

Brains are not entirely her strong suite in this universe, are they?

But he figures, okay." Jonathan shrugs.

And it weren't gonna kill him even if he hadn't spotted it.

Sympathetic magic. classy.

Seems he doesn't agree with the New Deal.

Overconfidence. Easy to manipulate.

A good question.

"What, your ring don't do Latin?
    (Proper name of a language, should be capitalised...)

Careful...

Please, don't be an idiot, Ultraboy...

Oh boy, this is going to get funny, isn't it?

Let's hope things don't go completely ploin-shaped yet...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  23. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know this is frankly impossible but god I hope it's lobo.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    You mean War Wolf.

25. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Music is a form of art. Perhaps they have Canis after all?

Wheenesss, w34v3r and Prince Charon like this.
  26. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Music Meister Master?

Wheenesss and infinityDivided like this.
  27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"There is no profit to be made in the destruction of the planet"

Well, there is a lot more profit to be made legally too, Fisk you moron.

Or at least the same amount without so much risk.

28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Of course, if you can survive the destruction of the planet then that's another matter.

29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

If you can survive the destruction of the planet but can't travel very fast in space, you're going to be bored and lonely for a long time.

30. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Hmm... maybe alt!evil version of Jericho? I mean, if Rose is a thing, Jericho could be to. Be a nice twist to have the President's son who was thought to have been killed by Ultraman turn up evil.