1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, I really wish that DC had just gone with their first response to continuity problems- different universes.

So one story has Catwoman being a killer, and another makes a big deal that she's just a thief, different universes.

It's simple, and since the DC writers apparently see continuity as a personal affront anyway, might as well.

But no, they have to anger people by blowing their worlds up for a reboot so they can tell the same stories again and again. Bah.

2. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

I will take it on faith that you read my last reply. In which Luthor brought blue kryptonite from another universe to subdue Ultraman.

But fine. I’d say that’s a neat theory you got there. I’m willing to humor it. Please. By all means. Give us a source.

3. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Yeah?

Why else do you think Gollum is second only to Berserker, and Yandere in mental corruption levels.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

In the JLAU verse there are several pieces of found Kryptonite that had been on Earth since before the destruction of Krypton.

It also has different properties then normal Kryptonite in that it's only deadly to Kryptonians under a Yellow Sun. And of course there's the whole bit with it being able to generate infinite energy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Badass6969

Badass6969 Well worn.

Buggy123
    Say, as much as I want to continue this talk about how some acts selflessness and selfishness can be swapped or near interchangeable, wanna move this to a PM?

6. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

i mean, unless Scry wards are a thing here too, wouldnt it be... like, a weeks/ months worth, top, given how hileriously overpowered he was before the dissemination of scry-wards back home? i mean, given its a matter of Caring/Wanting, if Paul remotely cares about wasting his time, it'd probably be a significantly easier/less needlessly-complex means of solving the problem...

if Slade and the other Frank Castle-wannabe's could be persuaded to stop lovingly stroking their throbbing murderboners for that much time and limit their forces to calculated surgical strikes against core syndicate targets with said intel, i literally see no reason Paul couldnt dismantle the entire syndicate with the ease of a man pulling a roast chicken apart within a few days-unless ive had an oblivious moment, the local bad guys DONT have Luthor-16's anti scry-and-die countermeasures, and once the players who HAVE the ability to make strategic retaliation strikes are eliminated, the Syndicate is literally finished- the longterm cleanup would take longer yes, but its a bit hard to start flipping the switches on your latest pointless doomsday device when the enemy jumps you on the shitter due to having literally perfict Intel....

you have to admit, the current plan feels a...little...Comic-Book universey, if you get my drift- needlessly complicated, and with a lot of needless potential to blow up in his face- he's on the record claiming to be a Member of a Crime syndicate currently under a Killorder for petes sake, in persuit of a solution that still leaves a chance of him being randomly yank'd by Despirate Syndics the moment they fuck up and draw aggro again....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Remember, the ZATARA mafia. Fairly sure scry wards are something they put in by default on their secret bases. More than that, they’re actively hiding from magic users.

8. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

5th February
    21:03 GMT -5

Flash's-. Mr West's eyes blur as I scroll through pages and pages of information at super speed. Hawkwom-. Hawkgirl tried to keep up as he got up to speed, but had to look away as it picked up.

"How did you turn my powers off? It felt like kryptonite, but it didn't hurt as much."

"Kryptonite comes in a variety of different colours, each bypassing the kryptonian biological force field and having slightly different effects. Green causes radiation burns while gold kills off the organelles which give you your powers in the first place. The exposure I gave you will.. probably depower you for a couple of months, but they'll repropagate over time-. Ah, at that level of exposure. Sufficient exposure could remove your powers permanently."

I kneel down in front of him as Talon's knife pings off my environmental shield.

"Might I suggest that you invest in some sort of radiation shield? Kryptonite is the one relatively well known way of hurting you, and you don't appear to have ever worked out how to avoid it."

"I've got a lead-lined suit I sometimes wear."

"Then you're doing better than my Superman, but-." Wheelbarrow time. I hold out my right hand and use my rings to fabricate a radiation shield generator, then attach it to his belt. "That should protect against someone waving a crystal at you, but it won't stop a kryptonite laser so don't get careless."

Lantern Stewart snorts. "This your first time taking prisoners, kid?"

"I don't-. Look, I'm not really comfortable helping the Syndicate, I just think it's better than the alternative. I certainly don't bear you any particular malice."

Their Diana appears to realise something. "You knew our weaknesses because you've fought your Justice League before."

I nod. "Weekly sparring sessions with the Two Eight One Four Green Lanterns -our Lantern Stewart can do more than one construct at a time, by the way- occasional sparring sessions with Diana, Hawkwoman challenged me to a duel and there was the one time where they got mind controlled by Star Conquerors-."

"Uh…"

Hawkgirl looks at Mr West. "Flash."

He blinks, and I stop the display. "Ah… Guys? I don't.. feel…"

"Your brain can't hold all of the information you just took in any more than we could if we read it all at normal speed. But if you wouldn't mind sharing your conclusions?"

"I don't know. I guess…" He shakes his head. "He's got a video of President Wilson beating Ultraman to death."

"Superwoman and Power Ring Green were also murdered."

Hawkgirl narrows her eyes at me. "They were criminals."

"They weren't convicted. They were entirely at the President's mercy, and he didn't even give them a show trial, let alone actual due process. And everyone else in the Syndicate expects that if they get arrested, the same thing will happen to them. Being a 'good guy' isn't like picking a team jersey, it's about doing certain things and not doing certain others."

Mr West looks decidedly uncomfortable. "They've got martial law all across the country. And the Syndicate still has a lot of firepower. They-. Wilson sent the army after the Supers in Fawcett City, and-. And the city doesn't exist any more. I think… I don't like it, but… I think Orange Lantern might.. have a point."

Mister J'onzz's face is almost completely expressionless. "If Orange Lantern is providing us with accurate information."

"If I was flat out lying-" Talon moves towards the door and I send Duela to intercept him. "-then Talon would have jumped in to point it out."

Talon-.

Oh no, where's Batman?

"I don't suppose that you left Batman behind, did you?"

Diana smiles menacingly. "You really shouldn't underestimate him."

"And you shouldn't underestimate a magic house owned by a supervillain that's also full of supervillains." I crank-. No. I remove Diana's lasso from her belt, take the end in my right hand and put the noose around Superman's neck. "Did Batman come with you?"
    Truth
    His eyes glow for a sec-.
    Truth
    "Are you trying to trick us?"
    Truth
    "I'm trying to persuade you by any means I can, but genuinely regard direct conflict as contrary to the interests of this version of America. The information I gave the Flash was accurate, and only as slanted as what I've seen was slanted."

Wait, this version of the lasso compels truth at both ends? Darn it!
    Truth
    "Batman didn't come with us. He's hanging back until we secure an entry point for the rest of the Justice League."

I drop that lasso and carefully use constructs to wind it back up. "Happy now?"

Mr West shakes his head. "Were those..? Figures right? All the people who died in Wisconsin?"

"As.. far as I know, yes. Approximately three million deaths. Six sevenths of the population. No one knows exactly what happened because everyone anywhere near the city died, but that's basically what I don't want to see happen everywhere else as well. That's what.. happens when two heavily armed groups square off and no one blinks. I.. spoke to Enigma, the leader of the Justice Underground, and he said he was fine-."

I reach down and pick up the lasso again.
    Truth
    "That he was fine with the whole country suffering the same proportion of deaths if it meant that the Syndicate was exterminated. Are you?"

League members.. look at each other. Mr West appears genuinely distressed by what he just saw, and the others... I suppose that when you're used to solving your problems by punching them, it comes as a bit of a shock when you find out that not only can you not solve this one by punching it but you may have actually contributed to three million people dying.

Superman looks up at me. "So what exactly do you want us to do?"

"Go home." I send his chains back into subspace and he stands, glancing expectantly at his comrades. No, not just yet. "Let the Syndicate finish reorganising and disarming. If in a few years the emergency laws President Slade's using have been revoked and the Syndicate is still causing problems then feel free to have a crack at them but until then the risks just aren't worth it."

He rubs his wrists, then folds his arms across his chest. "Even if you're not lying, how do we know that the Syndicate isn't going to go right back to building giant bombs?"

"Because it didn't work, they don't have the resources and everyone who knew how to make that bomb is dead." Could we..? "Mister J'onzz, how good is your false mind technique?"

"It should withstand a brief inspection. I am surprised that you have heard of it."

"My parallel's Mars is still inhabited." His eyes.. sadden slightly. "There aren't that many telepaths in the building. If I take you around the building, you could do surface scans of a cross section of Made Men. See what they're planning. If you-."

The door opens. Duela is knocked forwards, but turns it into a tumbling roll and comes to her feet as-.

Ultraboy stares at the bound members of the Justice League. Then stares at Superman.

"Pa-?"

Then he stares at the 'S' and lunges!

"You're a dead man!"

9. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

ow. ok, point there- thats one set of working WMD's resistant, and im guessing a quintesseance scan would be..awkward given the distance from the "good" version of Best snake.

i just feel that paul's comitting the same mistake he's accusing the other JL of-
    if the history of Earth 16 is anything to show, you CANNOT trust supervillans to take the smart, easy choice without constant nudging/handholding-theres allways going to be loons who dont care abotu cancer, and jsut wanna make human-dinosaur hybrids...
    i kinda Feel Slade IS right that a clean sweep (capture or kill) is the way to go, its..just that he's...damaged, and is working in an echo chamber of other people damaged enough that "millions of innocent deaths will be worth it" is a majority opinion

eh, she didnt care that much about her own ideology anyway when it was here livelyhood in question- she went onto Welfare ( became a "moocher", i believe is the Randian term?) https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ayn-rand-social-security/
    .... oh for Bahamut's SAKE!
    *faceclaws*

Ardy, Drode, Gladiusone and 9 others like this.
  10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Blue, red, now all we need is yellow from Paul realizing that Clark is baseline at the moment.

11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Wild Transient like this.
  12. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

It just occurred to me now, I hope that the dimensional travel wasn't detected and tracked by the government.

13. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

As Mquz states, the Syndicate does have a major magic-using faction as one of their primary groups. In addition, the good guys have/had a Violet Lantern under their employ. It stands to reason, especially with 'a' Paul operating with his traditionally min-maxing attitude, the Syndicate has some fairly good anti-power ring detection systems up and running. They've also already gone to ground completely, which would complicate the matter of rooting them out even further. And, of course, there's the matter of betraying his Blue-counterpart's interests in this world... and given, again, how min-maxy Paul can be when motivated, I wouldn't want him as an enemy unless absolutely necessary. Should Paul cooperate and hand the Young Offenders over to the 'good guys' they're all dead. Your supposition also rests on getting Slade and the rest to actually stand down and allow Paul to do this on his terms, which given all of the evidence we've seen, is extremely unlikely. Whatever Paul does, he's also going to have to deal with the constant government kill squads hunting down other villains in the nation as well.

Additionally, I stated earlier, Paul isn't one for half-measures. He's going to do the best he can in the time allowed and that includes making a concerted attempt to fix the underlying problems that generated the Syndicate in the first place. That is the work of years, and with the authority's stated position on the matter, I don't believe it's possible to realistically set up a solution similar to the one Paul is currently constructing, since attempting to help individuals who might go villain in the current atmosphere runs exactly counter to their current 'eliminate with extreme prejudice' strategy.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He should have asked Flash to follow Talon, but it's realistic that he can't cover every angle.

And maybe this J'onzz can visit his Mars?

Hell, maybe they'll even find a group of willing colonists? (Unlikely, I know)

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

Well Ultraboy is about to become a baseline human strength Kryptonian.

16. Ganurath

Earth -14's Mars has Burners, as I recall. Krona killed all the Guardians, remember?

Wild Transient, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  17. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Yeah, I strongly suspect that the next section is going to open with Speed-gold-Kryptonite-shockcrown. Maybe asking J'onn to wipe his memory immediately afterward.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, speed-reading level max.

...Supes is kind of hosed right now, isn't he? The League's tactics probably rely on him tanking...

I certainly don't bear you any particular malice."

Love how he just tosses that out like it's nothing.

Murdered, not executed. Is your English not that good to not notice the difference?

True, true.

Now he notices. Bats could likely have wreaked havoc in that time...

Heh, plan backfired.

And holding the lasso means that's the honest truth...

Not as satifying as going on a face-punching rampage, but much less damaging.

Crap.

Welp, things are heading ploin-shaped. And remember, Supes is still depowered right now, yes? Let's hope unpowered Kryptonian-12s are still damn tough...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Guess Talon really just wants the Syndicate to be destroyed, whatever the cost.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Ultraboy apparently took speed juice (or similar enhancement) to make himself a lightning bruiser, so I'd suggest replacing shockcrown with a freeze ray to stop him in his tracks instead.

21. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

You recall that part from Zoat about 16 and 12 being close enough to work almost the same but 16 and -14 not being such, right? He might use some form of kryptonite on Ultraboy but it isn't likely to be gold

22. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

You know, I would REALLY REALLY like to hear the after action briefing from this JLA later. One lantern managed to non-lethally take town several members in under 60 seconds, when HE was surprised.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Cool... If that's accurate you just doomed Earth 12 to be either A) murdered by Mordred, B) Murdered by Mordru, C) Eaten by a Blackhole.

Paul's Math is so off I am surprised nobody called him on it, because Wisconsin had a population of 5.512 million in 2004.

24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Not necessarily on Earth -14, unless you have a cite from the movie or an episode.

25. Inbetweenaction

Inbetweenaction Versed in the lewd.

Paul would be offended at the allegations of him being a minmaxer. It implies him allowing to be weak an an area to be strong in another. He is a pure maxer, no min

26. Ganurath

Actually, minmax means "minimize weaknesses, maximize strengths." Considering that a naked Paul is just as squishy as any other baseline human, I'd say his gear selection is well suited to minimizing his weaknesses.

27. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul is able to fully reverse the effects of gold Kryptonite in a few moments, because a unpowered Kryptonian is way easier to heal with a power ring, we already saw Grayven do it after he used it on Superman when he was being Mind Controlled.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except he's not doing so and just told told him it would be months before his powers would return.

29. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because they arent on the same side yet, I think it doesent need to be said that if Superman were about to leave that Paul would reverse the damage he caused to a person he respects. Also Grayven pretty much did the same thing when he was messing with Superman 16.

30. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

He might restore him if they come to a peaceful agreement and Superman isn't killed by Ultraboy, unless you're assuming he also plans to keep Hawkgirl's mace and Green lanterns ring?