1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Ask Tim and Jason.

Gantradies, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

"I don't have it."
    "Well that's just too bad."

3. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I really wonder how Guardians would react to such rule-lawyering and would love to see a common sense update with their reaction.

Honestly think they need to adjust their rules and regs to account for Earth craziness in the future.

Vorian, Gantradies, BBJimmy and 4 others like this.
  4. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

SAYD: .....Did we just get legally outmaneuvered by a lower lifeform?

GANTHET: (impressed) It would appear so.

5. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

Regarding business Paul and the stolen ring, it seems far more likely to me he would be more passive aggressive about it.

It would just be a bullet point in the league performance review, with the list of ways vigilantism can have unintended consequences that wouldn't happen if you just sat down and talked to someone. I'd think this Paul, with little to no ring charge left, may have even handed it to batman if he asked politely. He'd ask for it returned, but wouldn't expect the guardians to actually do so.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Finding that took me half an hour.
    Thank you. I'll correct the rest when I have time.

7. Mr Zoat

American healthcare has been sub-par for far longer than 20 years.
    Thank you, corrected.
    This site does not have a no politics rule. This site has a no modern politics rule, though in increasingly looks like a 'no modern American politics' rule.

8. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

The Guardians are beings of law and order (according to them) so it is entirely possible that if they get their hand on his ring they will find it too dangerous or useful to return, in which case they would pay him for his property by giving him a green lantern with ring. Doing so removes a dangerous object from unsafe hands, shows their fairness, and gives them a way to monitor Paul.

9. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

We fuck things up Zoat. It's what we do.

Beyond that, is it really so hard NOT to go on page after page political rants just because of something mentioned in the story? I'm guessing not, if there actually has to be a hard rule on it.

10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Calling it sub-par is being a little generous.

Frank Iannetta and Sceptic like this.
  11. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Looking back at this, I hope we'll see in another "Common Sense" how MORTIFIED and PISSED Jade is that not only did she wind up a liability to The League of Shadows because of how distracted she was, but also because that the one who made her a fool is now dating her mother.

12. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Better idea: file a suit at the Gotham City courthouse; PETER WYNNE vs. JOHN DOE (ALIAS "THE BATMAN"). I'm pretty sure there's legal precedent for keeping the legal identity of a defendant under seal, even in a civil case. Especially in superhero land. 'Peter' would have to tell the judge and publicly admit to knowing his name and residence, but he already has enough supervillains on staff to protect him.

13. Cuchulin

Best get legal advice from Two-Face first and get info on which judges to go to from the Penguin.

Gantradies, Jormuungaand and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Only if you then reverse all the advice.

15. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

This one is interesting because the page is still live, but the images linked on it which made the page relevant are now hotlink protected and not shown anymore. Or dead, or... whatever. Pretty sure it wasn't pictures of a kitten you meant to show.

Hiya. Some more proofreading stuff. I've started asking a friend to double check links I'm not sure about so hopefully I won't end up reporting non-broken links, sorry about that. I also made a corrective post you may have missed but if not, just ignore me. It was just the spoiler and a single sentence.

16. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Guys.

No Modern Politics.

That means if I see any more about the US Health Care, or one of their "Parties" I'll report.

If I have to shut up about it, so do you.

17. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

You're coming off like that kid who got the hall monitor sash who won't stop bitching about people running in the halls, mate. The mods can handle it.

18. Simonbob

The problem is I love arguing politics.

And, every time somebody starts refering to anything political, I have to hold myself back.

So, to prevent a debate that would force the mods to ban half the thread, could you all stop setting me off? Please?

19. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I never got a sash or anything, but I was, at various points in my life, designated to monitor my class or some gathering of students. And I have to say, those were some of the best days during my student life; all that power and authority over people that I had to interact (and/or tolerate) daily is awesome.

Navi-Hank, Silveraith and DAT_NOOB like this.
  20. Cuchulin

Not at all, Harv was a very good lawyer and he HATES Batman so he is likely to give good legal advice. Oswald will know which judges will be sympathetic to some one bringing a case against Batman because they can't be as corrupt any more.

I was mostly thinking of how Reagan warned because against Medicare because it would lead to the end of freedom (which is to say Communism) and not anything more recent than the late 80's.

Navi-Hank and Silveraith like this.
  21. Simonbob

I'm not allowed to argue about it, and I really, really want to.

It's better if we simply don't.

22. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I wonder if the next episode is going to be a Renegade one?

Also, what ever happened to Estrogina? Last time we saw her, Admiral Dakyn was going to gift her to the Emperor of the Citadel. If she was on Citadel Complex when Paul crashed it, then she probably died. Unless Dakyn hadn't gotten around to gifting her yet. We technically don't know exactly what happened to Dakyn, but...yeah. Dakyn also had a psion who wanted to study her, so she could have been on Wombworld...when it was Base Delta Zeroed. Back when Persuader first appeared, Paul decided he should find out what happened to her, and he hasn't left Vega yet, so there's still opportunity for him to find out that he probably got her killed. Oh well, I don't think he'll feel that guilty anyway.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  23. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Conqueror's Moon

10th February
    08:01 GMT -7

"While I'm perfectly happy-" I try to avoid frowning as Sunset attaches one of her experimental thaumic flux detectors to my forehead. "-to assist you in your work, I was rather under the impression that you'd cracked the whole-" Another goes on my right shoulder. "-alicorn transformation thing."

"I… Think I have."

Another sensor goes on my right hand, then she holds out another while looking at my bare chest.

"Um."

I alternately tense and relax my left and right pecs, and she moues.

"Could you… Like, not do that?"

"Has someone started finding bipeds attractive?"

She looks away, trying not to squirm. "Circe… Had a.. talk with me. Adom… Was.. there."

She's actually blushing. It's adorable.

"You know?" I take the sensor from her and stick it on myself… Myself. "You should write a paper on the subject. There are so many humanoid species around the place that your experience as a quadruped is rather interesting, from a social psychological point of view." Hm. "Nudity isn't sexual on Wilson, is it?"

"It might be in some places. Not in Equestria. But I know it is here."

"On Apokolips, it means 'I trust you enough not to wear armour around you'. That's a big deal, but it's not always sexual."

"I think I'll stick-" She passes me the box containing the rest of the sensors and I obligingly begin attaching them as well. "-with magic. Wait." She frowns. "You walk around people who don't wear armour all the time."

"Yes, but I have thirty years of memories of that being normal. At most, it makes me feel like I'm living on a weirdly friendly planet. It's actually quite nice. Even when I was on trial for murder… Everyone in that court room was my friend."

"Huh." She frowns. "I.. suppose that makes sense. I keep thinking that I need to be on my best behaviour, because… Big, formal events are the only times when ponies wear clothes like this."

"You're completely free to wander around naked if you want."

"Yeah… I… No. I tried that with Circe, and it was just… Awkward. And it makes my teats uncomfortable."

"You could just wear a bra. Since you're going back home in a couple of months… Might be worth getting used to again." She looks at me sceptically, and I fan out my hands. "Alright, you don’t have to." That's all of the sensors. "So what's this about?"

She stands back, folding her arms across her chest. "I think I've worked out alicorn transformation. Everything I know about thaumaturgy, mathematics and Equ-. And Wilsonian magic-" I smile and nod approvingly and she rolls her eyes. "-tells me that I'm right. But… Newtonian physics works well enough over a small area. There could be something… Something I don't know about that I'm not taking into consideration. Celestia's a lot bigger than Cadenza and her mane and tail shimmer-."

I nod. "And that shampoo is probably really expensive."

"I tested her shampoo when I was eight. It's not her shampoo. It could just be her age, what happens when the higher magic levels in her body keep building up, it.. could be something about her link with the sun… I don't know."

"Could it be a spell?"

"Ah… It could. Celestia's really good at magic." Another eye roll. "Allegedly. And when she realised exactly why I wanted to study her she forbade me from studying her, which made doing it really difficult. It's possible that she used a glamour I couldn't detect, but… I don't think so. I'm mostly worried that there's something more that I don’t know about because the evidence for it is hard to detect."

I nod. "A reasonable concern. So what's all this for?"

"I want to study your god-powers. Given how you've described the process of getting it, it sounds like the closest analogue to getting a cutie mark or becoming an alicorn. And since-. Actually, are you going to Awaken Persuader?"

"Not any time soon. I'm actually curious if a human can trigger the process without someone external forcing it."

"You do know that she doesn't answer to her name when she's got her armour on?"

"Refuses to, or literally doesn't recognise it?"

"Neither's exactly healthy."

I shrug. "I don't even remember my juvenile name. If she's close to making a breakthrough on her own, that might be part of it."

"That… Just seems…"

"Cruel?"

"Irresponsible. She's a crazy murderer who you're encouraging to become crazier."

"I'm encouraging her to acquire skills in a profession she loves. You've spent time with her when she's in Elise-mode, haven't you? How does she seem to you?"

"Weirdly… Happy? Even with all of the bruises."

"There you go." I give the sensors a quick check. Everything in place. "So what exactly do you want me to do?"

"Just… Do whatever it is you do. I'll be recording it-. Or… Trying to, anyway."

"Trying to?"

"What you do isn't like normal magic. When I tried this with Circe I couldn't get a clear reading, but I'm hoping that's because of all the regular magic she uses. Since you don't use other forms of magic, it shouldn't be such a problem."

"Okay." I pick up a plasma lance from the ground next to me. Should be simple enough.

It's a simple device, fuel, battery, the magnetic 'rifling' system which keeps the cloud of charged particles going where the shooter wants them, coolant to make sure that the rest of the gun doesn't melt and the mass of the body of the gun. But as I impress myself upon it that rapidly stops being the case. Now it's a tool, an instrument by which my territory can be defended and expanded. A symbol of the power of my legions and the order they bring, its fire scourging those who oppose me from the universe. And those manufacturing centres which produce it are evidence of the industrial power of my realm, the purpose I bring to the lives of all those who give of themselves to me.

"Getting anything?"

"Kind… Of..? I don't think that it's… Big enough." She fiddles with the crystalline array which she's using to aid her sorcery. "Can you try something over a wider area?"

"Yes, but the effect will be much smaller."

I don't bother mentioning that I'm effectively… Not mind controlling, but certainly mentally influencing people. I can cow peoples' spirits but I'm not going to be doing that here and now.

"I'm really more interested in how what you power up links to you than I am in the exact mechanism. Once I'm an alicorn I'll have all the time in the universe to learn to do this for myself. I just need to make sure that I don't need to learn it first."

"Alright." I put down the gun, now simply a gun again rather than an instrument of my will.

Hm.

I close my eyes and reach out across the Challenger Mountain facility, feeling the weak shimmers of essence of each of the genomorphs and the more substantive resistance from Knockout's own divinity. She has accepted me as her overlord so I can bend her-. Ah, she feels it. And in any case her nature isn't actually opposed to mine. In another part I feel Mortalla's weaker soul, her nature far more… Synthetic. I'm not sure what Desaad did to make that happen, but I don't think he did it with a Father Box's aid. While she doesn't appear to be aware of what I'm doing, her nature isn't opposed to mine either.

I spread my awareness to every corner of the facility.

Sunset's device beeps, and she smiles.

The First Brick.

And then it explodes.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

And then it explodes.

As is, of course, tradition in this fic.

25. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*centres

*I put the gun down

*substantive

Conqueror's Moon?

Any ideas what that is?

26. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

A really, really assertive awoo?

27. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

"you'd already cracked" ?

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, some Renegade to cleanse the palate of OL's bad day in Vega.

Should that be past tense or did I miss something?

Grayven, don't tease the confused Girl-Unicorn.

Highly unlikely.

Oh Celestia... How embarassing must that have been?

Evidently very embarassing.

Fascinating. Does that mean when Barda walked around in her battle bikini, back in the 70's comics, she was relaxed around people?

Magic, at least, makes sense most of the time. Unlike people.

Given they'd seen what comes of being your enemy? I should think so...

Grayven! She's underage... For a human anyway.

:D

Maybe ponies just came bigger back then? (Minds out of the gutter, people! :mad:)

Good scientific reasoning.

Admittedly, that's because it was never in any comic...

Yes, not something you want people knowing. Since in knowing, they would subconsciously resist...

Good to see it working as...

...Well, then!

Oh, this should be interesting.

I predict a Nightmare Moon situation, but with a Conquest-powered Sunset... Nightfall Glimmer? :D

Godspeech, hora hora!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  29. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

It's red because it's a Grayven episode

FeepingCreature likes this.
  30. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

The First Brick? The mountain being the first step, or in this case, brick in building his empire?