1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I wonder what the title could mean.
    The only jungle related thing that comes to mind is Gorilla City.

2. Sun Dog

Sun Dog Getting out there.

Nazis are pretty much the face of evil in the US, even if you aren't a member of one or more groups they marked for death. Rocket is, at minimum, "work-shy" (antisocial, nonconformist, not into the home-church-and-kids thing) and an ethnic subhuman from Overgirl's POV.

It's hard to meet people halfway when their starting position is "you and everyone like you should just die and leave the world a better place."

Paragon timeline Supes at least has expressed regret for how his first reactions isolated him from Kon and has been trying to patch things up, even if Wonder Woman is obviously filling the parental role now.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon Supes is at least trying to have some kind of relationship with Kon, even though it isn't a father son or brother one.
    He is also building a relationship with Match, though Diana adopted him because he would have a hard time explaining his existence.

I wonder how renegade Supes relationship is with renegade Kon and Match?
    Kon got information on Krypton from the renegade SI and is being taught by someone that was raised in kryptonian culture, Supes may find his heritage important but probably doesn't know as much as a native like Karsta would. Also Karsta has decades worth of experience in using her powers so she can teach Match and Kon how to use them.
    Paragon Supes can teach Match how to use his powers but not Kon, since paragon Kon wasn't turned into a full kryptonian like renegade Kon was. Renegade Kon and Match wouldn't need training from Supes since they have Karsta so developing a teacher student relationship with Supes is probably unlikely.
    Renagade Match also doesn't have that much of an interest in kryptonian culture like Kon does and he may just like reading any kryptonian information the renegade gave him because he is simply interested, not in his heritage but in learning about another culture, he seemed to be interested in Themysciran culture and i think he mentioned something to the renegade about teaching people about other cultures, he also wasn't programmed to idolize Superman like Kon was.
    Renegade Supes also may not have tried to build a relationship with Kon on new years eve, partly because he was ticked about losing his powers and because unlike paragon Supes he didn't have a more positive relationship with his version of the SI so didn't try to ask him to help him with Kon like the paragon version did. I am pretty sure this is because he knew that the renegade disliked and probably hated him while the paragon version of Supes may not have had the best relationship with his SI at least the paragon didn't hate and dislike him like the renegade SI does.

Zoat can you give us a description of the relationship between renegade Supes, Kon and Match?
    Has the renegade Superman tried to build some kind of familial or friendly relationship with them?

Ngamer11, Silveraith and nobodez like this.
  4. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I get that the Team is a bit more independent now than in the beginning, and while it may be true to canon, the League not being there for the introduction of Overgirl seems like a massive oversight, especially given the sensitive nature of the situation, the fact that this is Paragon, and the justifiable (from their perspective) concern for the safety of some of their charges.

I don't think I ever really thought about Canis's backstory in any great detail, because by that point Paragon was doing more and more non-Team stuff, and it didn't feel important. While I enjoy his interactions with other characters, he would definitely also have warranted supervision from the beginning.

While I broadly agree with Paragon's thought processes, Overgirl doesn't pose as significant a threat to him as she does to Raquel, both emotionally and physically. It's kind of a shitty thing to expect marginalized groups to perform the very-real emotional labor of confronting hateful and/or dehumanizing worldviews, especially if they've been personally impacted by them, and to dismantle these prejudices by being exemplary paragons who defy all stereotypes, thus always working to endear themselves to their (would-be) oppressors. I agree that true conversion and repentance wouldn't come from simple violence, but from a subjective standpoint this is asking so much more of Raquel in particular than from basically anyone else on the Team (I'm not sure how Overgirl would view Artemis).

I do wish Raquel had taken the Danner or Garrick formula (after Brazil would have been a good time), but sadly I don't really see that happening in the near future; she should work to get some upgrades from canon though, I think the rest of the Team already has. I'm not sure how super-speed would interact with her kinetic barrier technology but it would be nice to see more speedsters, even if they present a narrative challenge to Zoat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thoth raises a good point of why the League didn't deal with Overgirl themselves when they found out she was a nazi.
    While she hasn't hurt anyone she is a highly powerful individual that believes in a violent philosophy.
    I am surprised they would let her interact with the Team, even if they want her rehabilitated.
    And yeah Paul really should have at least explained who she was to everyone in the Team before he introduced her.

And Raquel should really look into some super upgrades. Her belt can be damaged or she may find herself without it. I think that when they fought that dragon the belt was damaged and she used a gun. Don't remember if it is true but yeah superhuman upgrades are a must.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, because I honestly can't remember the details.
    He's probably hinted that he'd like that, but they aren't as close as the SI version.
    The SI felt no particular need to tell them.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  7. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Consider that any version of Zoat's SI is still him.
    Consider that he wrote ~1 chapter every day for years.
    Apply to harem gathering.

Fortunately for people of his worls, Sybarite did not focus on that.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Didn't the hand thing grab the wrong one?

RichardWhereat and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know that OL is more independent from the league and does things without worrying about what they think of him now, but bringing in a nazi to the base where their students live and reside in is something that will tick several of them off. Because as i said previously she is a highly powerful individual who believes a violent philosophy and several members of the Team are people her philosophy encourages her to kill.
    This could easily do at least some damage to his relationship with Diana and Alan seeing as the both fought the nazis and even if they want to help her the fact that he brought her to the Mountain without telling them will be viewed in a negative light.
    Even the Team would be ticked off, several of them were unhappy when he introduced her, and they may view some of his actions as being really dangerous, thoughtless and stupid seeing as he brought a superpowerfull nazi in their base without telling their superiors and letting her have access to her powers, which while the Team is experienced in dealing with superhumans they may find it more difficult to deal with someone who has at least half the power of a full blooded kryptonian and has decades of experience in using that strength and may try to target the two black people, the asian girl and possibly her boyfriend who Overgirl would consider a race traitor, the middle eastern fellow, Osiris who stay at that base/
    And before anyone says anything about Canis they at least knew about him when they brought him in and he seemed to listen to Barda so they could at least control him like that.

I know that Pauls thought process isn't like that of a regular human since he became enlightened, but he seriously needs to sit down and try to regain some of that thought process because he can't keep doing stupid things like this or he will pay for it, assuming that you Zoat aren't trying to set up some storyline where he sees how his actions can be detrimental and tries to think things through more clearly when making decisions.

Are Scott and Barda in the League in the paragon storyline, i know they are in the renegade?
    If not will they join it anytime in your story?
    Does Canis have a father box or does he just have the mother box that raised him?

10. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

But they know now, and presumably will know about Overgirl's presence in the mountain if they don't know that fact already.

I think Scott and Barda showed up in the Paragon timeline even before Renegade, they've been around since early on. And they definitely know about Canis, though they apparently don't check up on him regularly, at least onscreen.

Canis should just have the Mother Box that raised him, I believe.

11. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Man the Earth 10 DLC is more dialogue heavy than most players expected it to be, granted passing so many high level Speech checks can be as intriguing, to what basically boils down to Wolfenstein superhero addition.

Though Mr Zoat did once mention that there would be a point where the game would crossover with the Canon timeline, can't wait for the party dialogue between the doubles and extended roster of teammates, though having to listen to two Rockets maybe too much for some players.

12. Mr Zoat

No.
    Probably not.
    He destroyed the Mother Box which raised him just after he cut down his father. The one he has now is a battle trophy.

13. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the people on the entire planet couldn't actually tell you what a Nazi is, besides "That german guy was one... Hitler I think? Yeah, that guy."

14. Mr Zoat

Or 'the bad guys in CoD'.

15. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Indiana Jones, Captain America, and the Rocketeer feel underappreciated right now.

16. Mr Zoat

Silly rabbit, Captain America fought Hydra. And they're fictional.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Will the crisis of infinite Pauls involve those Pauls that have gone to non DC universe, like Saul, Avenger Paul etc.

Will the paragon participate in the crisis?
    Will the renegade participate in the crisis?

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

FTFY

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  19. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

And once again rocket is worst character. I swear every time I read a bit with her in it it feels like she's some sort of strawman.

dogbertcarroll, DAT_NOOB and Simonbob like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Fluffy please remember that Rocket is dealing with a nazi.
    Rocket may sometimes come of as a strawman and can be annoying, but most people would react in a similar fashion when dealing with a nazi.
    She may have had a better reaction to Canis because she doesn't associate Apokalips evil on the same level as nazi evil, something that other people haven't associated.
    I am pretty sure that most people liked Canis especially after he thought that they cloned Hitler to make a sex toy, while the moment Overgirl showed up everyone hated or disliked her, including myself to a degree, but he once mentioned burning down cities while she hasn't done anything that monstrous, so yeah people, both in story and in the real world, associate nazis with the ultimate evil even though in the story Apokalips makes the nazis look like peaceloving hippies who want to help people of other ethnicities and learn about their way of life instead of butchering them.

21. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

[​IMG]
    I mean, yeah...SI-Maxx and OL would not be the best of buds right now. I doubt OL would really care.

Still...a powerbomb from orbit might have been on the menu. He'd be fine....after he rightly resumed his wholeness.

22. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Hm. In our history certain Asian peoples (Japan and China) were considered "honourary aryans". But Artemis is of Viatnamese heritage if I'm remembering that bit with her grandparents right. I don't think they were included in the nazi "one of the good ones" list. Then again, even if they were, that's our history. Maybe in naziworld since they had kryptonian tech they didn't feel a need to ally with Japan, so didn't make exceptions for east asians.

So either way, Overgirl probably doesn't approve.

DrThoth likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

No, they were allied to the Japanese before Overman arrived, and given the time it took them to turn what they got from Jor-El's databse into anything they could use there was still a need for a strategic alliance. Angelika hasn't dealt with Asian 'subhumans' much and couldn't identify them as separate from Asian 'Aryans' by sight.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Probable

There's a really good reason for that: The fictional Nazi is less of a bad person than any self-professed Nazi you will find in the real world right now, specifically because in order to self-profess as a Nazi in the real world you not only have to be a right evil bastard, you have to WANT to be a right evil bastard.

By contrast, in a world where being labeled as a Nazi isn't among the harshest insults available, admitting to being a Nazi says very little about the content of your moral character.

I don't know about "most," but it's certainly not unusual. Look at the last 20 pages of this thread if you want some examples.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  26. Ganurath

It's Wholeness Rightly Assumed, not Resumed. It's a Charm of She Who Lives Within Her Name, and she's remarkably exact when it comes to word choice.

27. Maxx Crowley

I was genuinely of the opinion that resumed was the correct word for a past tense usage. Was I wrong?

28. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

TO build on this while I'm not sure of the exact status of vietminese

Arabs, and also broadly egytpians, are not black africans especially not as far as the Nazis thought of them either they're not necessarily aryans either, but depending on which crazy racial theory of the week was being used Egyptians were occassionally up there on the civilized not aryan list so her issues with Osiris / Thoth / whatever Black Adam's contribution to the team name is, is probably 'not aryan' but not necessarily 'argh subhuman' either

but yes late 19th early 20th century pseudo science racial nonsense was often self contradictory and just in general riddled with ridiculous and arbitrary exceptions (fun times look up Semitic peoples, and see who all that entails some time)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Ganurath

Yes, for the same reason that one who assumes the position wouldn't be said after the fact to have resumed the position.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  30. Maxx Crowley

But...the position of being whole, had been resumed, after being injured.