1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RagnarokAscendant

RagnarokAscendant Exists

It's the Umbridge vs. Voldemort problem.

[​IMG]

Apokolips is a fictional evil that is so huge and nebulous in scale it's hard to grasp.
    Nazi's, on the other hand...

Also Canis IMHO has a better claim to having no choice in anything due to being oppressed by the literal God of Tyranny. Overgirl had the power to make her own decisions and the ability to do so.

2. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Overgirl probably wouldn't be happy about Artemis. The Nazis weren't exactly fans of mixed race relationships or offspring. Especially if it was an Aryan with a non-Aryan.

I'll also note that where the race mixing laws were concerned, Aryan meant anyone of European descent who wasn't one of the groups they wanted to exterminate.

Basically, even as the Aryans of the East, the Nazis thought Europeans should only be with other Europeans and Asians should only be with other Asians. That didn't stop them from making exceptions if denying a German-Japanese marriage would cause enough of a stink to damage relations between the two countries. Just that they thought people should "stick to their own kind" when it came to romantic relationships.

So by Overgirl's standards, Artemis would more than likely be considered "racially polluted".

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

On the upside... While Overgirl would be passively disdainful of Artemis, she'd be actively hateful of Sportsmaster. So they'd have that in common?

4. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

It's likely that Overgirl is 'nice enough not to hold it against her" as Artemis can't help who her parents are, but Sportsmaster is pretty close to being a ideal Aryan (being a badass normal blond) so he'd get all the hate for sullying him self with a woman from SE Asia.

Ardy likes this.
  5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

It's the name of a technique. Goku never Kamehameha Wove.

The Chosen One and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

16th March
    07:01 GMT -5

M'gann tilts her head to the side slightly as Angelika leads the Earth's other kryptonians and half-kryptonians through what looks like tai-chi. The motions don't exactly correspond to those of tai-chi, but humans and kryptonians have the same points of articulation so there's a degree of similarity.

"Overgirl knows Torquasm-Rao?"

"She might look young, but she is five years older than Superman." I watch as she corrects his form, changing the angle of his outstretched left arm. "And Overman's seventy four. He's had plenty of time to study it."

And a brief discussion of what it actually does made me very glad that we're not planning on fighting Overman anytime soon. From what Overman, Overgirl and Earth 10's magicians can work out, it essentially gives the user greater control of their innate energy fields. Which would mean that while Overman might be a physical duplicate of Superman, his training would make him in effect significantly stronger and tougher. And that's before getting into the really unusual things that are supposed to be possible with it.

Fortunately, no one of Earth 10 had access to an actual master of either Torquasm-Rao or Torquasm-Vo. They've essentially been trying to recreate it from surviving records with the aid of personal experimentation. I suppose that if I were looking for one I'd try-.

Overgirl doesn't know about Daxam. Which is one of two places where there might actually be a surviving master, along with the Phantom Zone. Or if not an actual master then at least an inheritor of the tradition.

Ms Lane takes a slurp of her coffee.

"Okay, you wanna give me the background on this?"

"Obvious question: how does someone with super strength learn how to fight?"

She nods. "I've seen how Superman goes through training robots. So this is kryptonian fight club?"

"No, you-. Superman's kryptonian physiology, his strength, toughness and speed, make it very hard for him to improve his skill level. A human martial artist can go to any gym or dojo and find people to train with. Someone as powerful as him? He's got maybe two dozen people on the planet he can train at anything like full power with. And out of all of them.. only Diana is much use as a trainer."

I had thought that Adom would be able to help there, but it turns out that he hasn't ever had to train a fighter in his weight class before either. Which makes sense: the other Ancients came pre-trained, Shiruta wasn't a brawler, and… As he said, he never had a family to share his power with before. He said that he would be happy to have training bouts with Superman, but even someone as clumsy as Clark Kent can only explain away so many bruises.

"Though Superman's doing better than some. The best Hugo Danner could come up with during World War One was to have himself dropped onto enemy positions by plane. When he fought the All-Star Squadron, Atom beat him pretty easily, because Atom had fought plenty of people in his weight class while Hugo hadn't."

"Wasn't he a boxer?"

I nod. "An amateur, but he was pretty good at it. Though… Honestly? Reading the reports it doesn't sound like he was all that good at it either. Super strength and toughness change so many assumptions about what will hurt someone and what won't, you can't just transfer what you learn without super strength over."

Or we'd just dose Superman with gold kryptonite and train him like that.

"If she's five years older than him, how come she looks so young?"

Um.

"Have you and Superman talked about your long term future?"

There's a certain something in her eyes as she understands my implication.

"Oh. So she just hasn't physically aged."

"No, she-. Well, I assume that she has, as I don't have earlier scans to work from. But she is aging now. Just not at the same rate a human would."

Which considering how she was made is pretty darn lucky.

Ms Lane turns to M'gann.

"How does that work out with you and Superboy?"

"Um… I'm not really sure? Martians usually live longer than humans, but…" She shakes her head. "No one knows what Kon's life expectancy is. If he lives as long as humans do… Well, that's still a long time. And if he lives longer then great!" She smiles a little.

And doesn't mention the third possibility: that something goes wrong with all the exotic effects operating on Kon's body and his lifespan is shorter. That shouldn't happen. I've studied his biology and had the G-Lusca check him over as far as they can. As far as we can tell nothing like that should happen, but kryptonian energy fields aren't well understood. Jor-El… Might be able to make him entirely kryptonian, but that would involve radically altering who he is. Lex Luthor genes make you think rather differently to Kal-El genes, not to mention all of the other minor changes.

No, I'm… Just being paranoid. If nothing else, earning Helios' favour has probably made him a low-end arcane life form, and if that's happened then conventional biology is much less important.

"And how about children?"

M'gann purples faintly. "I… There are… Things I could do with shapeshifting. They're kinda advanced-" Ms Lane's eyebrows are slightly raised and I'm not using empathic vision on M'gann right now. "-but that's not something we're worrying about right now."

"Are you asking for any particular reason?"

"Kids don't read newspapers, Match is single and working out with his shirt off." I bow my head slightly and raise my eyebrows. "I'm not proud of it, but Superman having a new workout routine isn't exactly breaking news. This is going in 'Lifestyle', if Perry even uses it."

"Just another new kryptonian?"

She nods. "One was big news, two was news. Three is a production line."

"She comes from a parallel universe."

"Had one of those last year. You got into a fight with him." She looks mildly curious. "Is the House of El crest different in her universe?"

"No, and she operates under the name 'Overgirl', so it wouldn't really fit."

"It's not an 'S'. The kryptonian glyph for 'hope' just looks kinda like one."

"Yes, I… Yes, I know."

"And that's… Germanic? Sun, or victory? I suppose either works for a kryptonian. Is there any reason she doesn't use the regular one?"

"Yes, and you'll be free to ask her about it."

"Does she know it's half what the SS used to use? Because even if she doesn't plan on sticking around, she might wanna consider changing it."

"I believe that she is aware, but she's been wearing it for a long time, as has her mentor. Overman feels much less connection to his Kryptonian heritage than Superman. I would be surprised if she followed your advice."

Ms Lane shrugs. "She can take the heat from the Jewish Anti-Defamation League if she wants to."

It's completely inappropriate, but I can't help but smile. And Ms Lane looks a little too curious at my reaction.

"Um." I clear my throat. "You ever thought about getting superpowers yourself?"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Oh no.

Also yes.

But no.
    But yes.

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I thought Paul would use this opportunity for an immortality sale's pitch.

Though given afterlifes exist...

Actually, this is kinda bizarre. Knowing that positive afterlifes exist means that it has actually utilitarian value for good people to die young, before they can do something bad, while bad people should try to live as long as possible in order to reform.

"Oh, you saved someone's life yesterday? You should kill yourself quickly, cash that in!"

Wow, what a bizarre society that would be.

9. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Remove "of".

Should "Torquasm-Roa" be "Torquasm-Rao"?

Remove the "s" at the end of "Lanes".

Change "her" to "his".

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

To get an idea of what a kryptonian can do with martial arts training- Chris Kent from Arena could change his power source from yellow sunlight to other forms of energy, grab kryptonians by their heat vision, and grow to giant size.

12. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

There is a reason real world religions with that sort of system always say that suicide is a sin. If they didn't they would quickly depopulate. Oddly enough they still don't seem happy when they get a terminal illness.

13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Not really - there’s a reason why Christian doctrine punishes suicide. If you commit suicide you don’t go to heaven and there’s no tricking god. Same thing with, say, the Norse Afterlife (no Valhalla for people who don’t die in battle), and plenty of others would consider this “cheating the system”. When people actually “know” / believe beyond a doubt a religion is the truth (a situation which has happened plenty in real life) there’s usually a reason they don’t commit suicide. Otherwise, suicide cults would be more common.

Eld_Tiger, Jaron, BBJimmy and 7 others like this.
  14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Kryptonian Kung-fu! They've got moves like lightning, it's a little bit frightening!

Like literal Hadokens or Sonic Boom moves. Admittedly the latter is doable with super-strength anyway... Super-strength and toughness can make fingertips hit like bullets. At the top end, it allows a Kryptonian to tell Physics 'sit down, shut up and hold my beer!'

That would be a scary, scary thought. Thankfully, Overman is supposedly a decent guy, so not likely to abuse that kind of skill improvement.

Heh, always angling for the story, eh, Lois?

First rule of Fight Club!

And even with her, he can't use his full strength, can he? When you can practically liquefy steel with your bare hands, it's hard to learn restraint...

I expect anything he learns, he can help Amon pick up too. Assuming Amon hasn't been learning through sparring with the Superboys.

I always thought Atom was a Greco-Roman wrestler... TIL otherwise.

Indeed. It takes getting used to creating sonic booms with your punches. Never mind what damage you could do if you put your full body behind a blow, rather than a simple untrained 'throwing hands' style of punch. I'm picturing something akin to Saitama...

Oh, dear. Does Lois know about Kryptonian lifespans yet? Because she's about to find out, I think.

Not much, but they do age. In some Elseworlds, Superman is still around thousands of years in the future, and usually showing some signs of age. Never mind DC 1,000,000.

Could have been worse. She could have been age-locked, like some takes on Post-Crisis Superboy.

On the other hand, though...

And dicking around might cause a catastrophic breakdown of his systems, too. Given stuff like Marvel's Spider-clone breakdowns, just melting would be getting off easy.

Bit young to have the 'Grandchildren!' reflex, Lois.

One good aspect of her learning some of Jaarkin's techniques...

Oh, my... [/Takei]x3 Remember, Lois, they're underage! Stop eating that eye-candy, leave some for Maxx Crowley.

That's a very good point. People will want to start worrying if more cross-dimensional visitors start showing up.

Discreetly trying to avoid the question of her universe of origin, engage!

Heheheh. Amusing that Lois is the one saying it...

Oh, boy, that'd open quite the can of worms...

She'd probably be offended if Lois suggested it...

Yes, change the subject by offering a Dannering! Id love to see the face of the next would-be kidnapper if she did go for it.

Well, another pleasant slice-of-life bit. I'm guessing all this is taking place in either a Metropolis park or the Fortress, if Kara and Lois are present... Now, how long until the real meat of the episode turns up...

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Superman 1.000.000 was altered in getting a big boost to his powers.
    There have been other versions who weren't similarly altered but managed to live for eons.
    Red Son comes to mind.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Which is pretty suspicous if you think about it. It sounds very much like someone plugging a loophole in a flawed system.

17. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

One thing bothering me about that for ages.
    What happens if a Norse kills everyone in battle while being mortally wounded, then die after the fight is over. Does it still count ?

BBJimmy, Alexandercctv and DrThoth like this.
  18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Does he feel the need to have decent relations with the League?
    This is going to antagonize them for no reason.

gustyeagle and Darko like this.
  19. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Generally?

Yes. If you're in a fight, the valkyrie watch, and judge based on what they see. It's about courage, after all.

Jaron, BBJimmy, Alexandercctv and 5 others like this.
  20. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

but what's the cut off point? if your injury from a battle becomes infected and you die of gangrene a few days later does it still count?

21. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

There’s also the badass who WINS every important fight in his long life. So good no one can kill him yet denied Valhalla/Gre’thor (yes, this originally occurred to me concerning Klingons) because he was too good a warrior?

Gantradies, BBJimmy, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  22. Smartkittykhan

Smartkittykhan Making the rounds.

Since they they were wounded in battle it would count.

In fact, one of the undead vikings from a while back stated he died that way.

23. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Nobody alive knows. Unless you ask the Asatru.

Eventually, you get old, slow down, and lose. As long as you keep picking fights......

24. Grek

Grek (she/her)

Depends on if the valkyrie sent to judge you thinks it should count. If you were a valkyrie and Odin said to get him warriors, would you let that guy in?

Jaron, Cuchulin and david like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

There was a scene in Vinland Saga where the wounded were layed out after a battle, and a gorup of healthy norsemen walked around with two axes. If a wounded colleague asked, they put one axe into their hand and then killed them with the second.
    He doesn't feel any obligation to run certain classes of decision past the League, as he doesn't feel that they're better at making them than he is.

26. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Forget teaching Superman how to fight, try teaching him how to God damn duck or Dodge.

"Oh, an unknown weapon from bad guys whom dedicated their lives to countering me, better fly at them in a straight line!" and "Ha! Hit my chest because I am invincible!" both drove me nuts.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

To be fair, he's really hard to damage, and very much aware that if whatever is being shot at him misses, it could hit someone who is a hell of a lot more squishy than he is. Superman doesn't fear the bullets that hit him, he fears the ones that miss.

28. Piratefish

Piratefish Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Another thing about the norse afterlife is that it’s more of an afterlives. And even if you do die in battle, you’ve only about a 50% chance of ending up in vallhalla specifically: Freya takes half of the slain to her hall, Sessrumne, and has first pick, per the peace treaty between the aesir and vanir.

Grek, Simonbob, BBJimmy and 6 others like this.
  29. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Shouldn't he also worry about ricochets?

Alexandercctv, Ardy, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

OL said that someone sued him because a bullet bounced off him and hit the one that sued him.

Simonbob and Cuchulin like this.