1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

The man lost the will to live, probably never even tried to escape and just sat there a broken shell of his former self.

Though this does raise a few interesting questions.

Since He's been in jail and Iron died in the 70's did Iron ever marry Sandra Knight?

We've seen Kate Spencer in the fic during the Martian Womanhunter segment.
    So that also likely means Walter Pratt is or at least was around for a while.

So how long till either Lex or Paul find that Trail.
    Walt had the enhanced abilities of his father and grandfather.
    Kate "only" had John wick levels of resilience.
    Her son had some enhanced durability as well since he got hit by a truck and the truck lost.

from a scientific perspective this is a treasure trove of data on how the Danner formula passes down multiple generations.

2. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Missing was.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  3. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

The fun thing is. It was stated in the comics that one of superman's dreams is to just be considered a regular joe. Not lacking his power but everyone elevated to his level. Lex is arguably doing his best right now to fufill Supes dream. I find that hysterical.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wonder how Lex would feel knowing that he is granting Supes his greatest wish. On one hand humanity becomes stronger, on the other Superman is happy. Comic Lex would do everything to make Supes miserable, even his uplifting of humanity would be abandoned if he thinks it will hurt the big blue boy scout.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I think the various animated Lexes (Lexi?) are less cartoony than the comic version. Abandoning his own goals just because they'd make Superman happy would be Snidely Whiplash levels of villainy. I think Lex is above that.

Then again, if Lex were actually even remotely reasonable he wouldn't be a villain at all. There are, after all, a whole slew of perfectly legal things he could do to prepare for Superman going rogue without tipping his hand and painting a bulls-eye on himself if that's what he's really worried about.

7. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Huh, back from the dead, how very...well...comic bookish.

Remember folks, always check for a body, or as the evil overlord's list would put it:

"All slain enemies will be cremated, or at least have several rounds of ammunition emptied into them, not left for dead at the bottom of the cliff. The announcement of their deaths, as well as any accompanying celebration, will be deferred until after the aforementioned disposal."

In light of Hugo's return from the grave by Mr Zoat, here's another old friend returned from the beyond.

[​IMG]
    Its a 'Zoat', from 40k, and a new model for it for the first time in decades. Will be part of the Blackstone Fortress game, so a minor role, but it IS back. No more being Squatted!

8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Canonically, he is not.

I have often suspected that Zoat is actually some form of crocodile centaur creature. English he says...

9. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah in the comics Lex's sister Lena had a medical condition leaving her in a wheel chair.
    He shows up at her house one day after superboy befriends her and her daughter.
    Cures her of her condition and then a few minutes later undoes the cure leaving his own sister crippled.
    all to prove to superboy the good he can do and that he won't do said good as long as supermans alive.

Now Lex's biggest goal is to beat superman.
    With his Genius and resources he could become an even bigger hero than superman.
    It's shown Lexcorp has a cure to Muscular dystrophy that he hasn't released.

Even superman has flat out told Lex that he could make him look like a total chump if he'd just get past his hatred.

and of course this gem from all star superman

Lex Luthor:
    Give it back. I saw everything. I saw how to save the world. I could have made everyone see. If it wasn't for you, I could have saved the world.
    Superman:
    If it had mattered to you, Luthor, you could have saved the world years ago.

Lex is and always will be his own worst enemy.

10. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

Another day
    And another and another and another

The light was.. getting brighter.

The light hurt a little, but the pain was as distant as everything… Else. And then… Water? He thought that he remembered… Water. Rain. He remembers being wet.

A.. pulling at his face. That meant something, or… Had meant something, but the ideas weren't coming together.

Just sink back…

"…real number on this guy's head, Mister Luthor."

"But you can help him."

"I can snap him out of it, but I wouldn't know where to even begin to fix this guy's problems."

"Mr. Praxis, if I'm unable to capitalise on the opportunities you provide me… Well, that's my problem."

"Your money. This'll only take a second, then… A couple of minutes for him to figure himself out. Then assuming he doesn't just fall back into it, he'll be able to talk."

"Proceed."

**Knock knock.**

And colors so bright they sear his eyes and his mind the tiny sounds of cloth against leather feeling so much louder than they should be and his skin feels clean and-.

No. No no no-.

"Mister Danner."

One man, blond hair tied back into a ponytail, stands from where he had been kneeling to his right. Sitting.. across from him, is a… Another man. White, bald. Wearing a suit. Next to him, a woman. Secretary? Blouse, jacket, skirt. The room… Office? Living room?

"Mister Danner?"

He should… Say something, but… He tries to remember last time he.. spoke to anyone.

"Mhuh?"

The bald man appears to take this in his stride.

"Not too bad, considering how long you were in there. I've taken the liberty of having you washed, shaved and dressed. I don't think that the conditions of your prison-"

Prison?

"-did much good for your state of mind."

He mentally floundered, images and barely remembered sensations. Explosions, he remembers explosions, and… Mud? And chains and.. a.. prison? Yes, a prison. Why was he in a prison?

"I can see that you're having a little trouble processing this. Do you remember your name?"

"Drnnr. Dan. Ner."

The bald man s-smiles.

"Yes. Hugo Danner. You're presently in the United States of America, in the city of Metropolis."

America.. was.. home? He remembered the flag, at… High school? And outside the houses of a lot of his neighbors.

"You were in Brazil, when I found you. Do you remember why?"

Shouting, people.. hitting him, but not getting hurt. Sadness and irritation, and-. He'd tried to help them and they'd accused him of-.

"To-. Get away. People didn't..."

"Yes." The bald man picks up a file and leafs through it. "I understand that society had a difficult time adjusting to your abilities. Of course, that was rather a long time ago now."

How long ago was..? He looked away from the bald man, focusing on the carpeted floor. He remembered… He left America to.. go to France, for the War. He joined the French Foreign Legion to get away, and… The other soldiers liked him in a way that.. people he knew in America never had. But they died, they all… He didn’t. They weren't as tough as him. Then he went back to America but it was still just as bad, then… He left again. Took a job assisting an archeological expedition. Then-.

OhGodthechildren!

"Ah. I see that you're remembering-."

"They all died, because I-!"

"No. No." What? "Oh, quite a few did, but some survived the exposure to the outside world, and others simply retreated back into the jungle without being infected. I'm sure that if they'd known where you were they would have attempted to rescue you, but the Brazilian government didn't advertise it."

They-? They weren't-?

Olowin, he remembers when Olowin was born. He remembers holding him, playing with him, the sheer joy of being able to play with someone who wouldn't die if he threw a ball too hard. He remembers his first hunt, his growing infatuation with Awendea, sitting with him as he listened intently to stories about the Great War. He remembers the boy being knocked flat by an anti-tank round and laughing it off. And-and he remembers-.

"I… Understand that you were trying to share your abilities with other people. I very much share that desire."

Flashes of blue and green and red, dozens of other Americans, people with powers like he had powers, all.. sent to stop him. Why? Didn't they understand how Brazil worked, how the rich treated the common people? Why didn't they want to share the powers that elevated them?

He'd thought that he couldn't get on with people because he was too different. But he couldn't get on with people who were like him either. And those he could…

He remembered the coughs. The vomiting. The.. wounds that didn't heal because all their bodies could do was hold themselves together. The starvation that happened when they healed injuries but couldn't keep down the food necessary to replenish themselves.

"Mister Danner?"

"Why?" He raises his eyes, looking directly at the bald man. "Why do you want to share this?"

"Because I believe that everyone should try to better themselves. And ensure that their children have better lives than they had. Hugo, I'm all too aware of the difficulties you had… You were the first of your kind, the first person like you in the world. You… Had it rough, but those who came after you benefited from your experience. People told their children about the things they'd seen you do, and that… That's part of why when the first generation of superheroes appeared they were accepted. You changed people's idea of what a man might accomplish. And… Yes, you had setbacks, and made more than a few mistakes. Because the situation was as new for you as it was for everyone else. And because you were so often forced to do things on your own."

"Hugo, I want to help." The bald man leaned forward. "I want to help you recreate your father's formula. I want to help you use the best of modern technology to find out exactly what went wrong and how to fix it, so that the next generation of Children of Dawn grow up strong and healthy. I've-."

"It won't work. For you. It.. doesn't work on adults."

"I know." The bald man… Luthor? Nods solemnly. "I'm not doing this to benefit myself. I'm doing this for the betterment of future generations of humankind. Will you help me?"

18th March
    15:23 GMT -3

He shrugged. It was going to come out eventually anyway.

"I'm Hugo Danner."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  11. Maxx Crowley

And OL couldn't even tell.

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Poor Hugo :(

And good on Lexxy for helping him but...he always comes of as so insincere, doesn't he?

13. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should "of" be replaced with "on"?

Should that be "capitalise on what you provide me" or something similar?

Should "s-smiles" be "smiles"?

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that was intentional on my part.

15. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should "s-smiles" be "smiles"?
    No that's him just piecing his thoughts back together.

Navi-Hank and Jormuungaand like this.
  16. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Ten seconds later, the Queen of Fables bursts through the wall and stabs the blond man with the ponytail through his mouth with a spear.

"You have to end the bloodline!" she shouts.

That's a joke regarding the most recent Praxis appearance on the Harley Quinn animated series.

17. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

If nothing else Luthor does want humanity to improve in general and would respect a man who was doing that and still wants to.

18. Maxx Crowley

No. Lex wants humanity completely dependant on him. As he is elevated to shiny bald headed god-king.

19. greynoise

greynoise Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

There have been so many different Lexes throughout the years that it largely depends on the author's interpretation. Zoat's Lex is usually closer to the former than the latter.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, I was right, he was full-on cataconic. Not surprising that he'd retreat into himself, after seeing what he did... I'm guessing this takes place within a day or two of yesterday's chapter...

The bathing and cleansing drew his attention briefly, but wasn't enough to wake him up fully.

So Lex calls in someone who can get past his shell of depression.

"In other words, don't blame me if he just conks out again."

"Wake up, Doctor Freeman Mister Danner. Time to wake up, and smell the ashesfuture."

I bet he's feeling really disoriented right now. Between the cut of Lex and Mercy's suits, the odd technology no doubt visible, and the view out the window...

How eloquent.:p It has been a very long time, hasn't it?

Was Hugo even aware of that whole situation? Or has he been out of it since the All-Star Squadron Justice!-punched him into unconsciousness?

Ah, there we go, he's starting to remember now.

Taking his time getting the jaw muscles back in order, heh.

Goes to show how much he cared about his origins. Given the life he's lived, I'm sure he didn't miss it.

Even if he weren't over a century old, I'd want to give him a hug. He was born about forty years too soon to fit in...

Which is where he did the whole 'attempted suicide by spitting in the face of God' thing...

To be honest, it probably is partly your fault... If you'd just been content to live amongst people who accepted you... But, no, the rest of the world had to poke their noses into his little retreat... Making him lash out...

Not all of them, no. We, the audience, know that now. I'm suprised there wasn't a flash of Hope in there.

Brings a new aspect to stories about the fight, doesn't it? I hope he tells OL all this.

Would he even have seen superheroes before then? Except maybe in the newspapers? That must have been quite the shock.

Grim. No wonder Alan and the others don't like to talk about it.

And that is the sixty-four million dollar question...

And a subtle nod to the early origins of characters like Superman there.

Not mentioned: the fact that it will make him wealthy and famous even beyond what he is now. And make anyone wanting their kids to be superhuman have to come hat-in-hand to him and his companies.

Three little words. One gigantic bomb to drop on OL.

Now, how is OL going to react to this little factoid. Never mind the fact than Hugo never once thought to mention it in all their prior meetings. What must he have been feeling, hearing OL's thoughts about him?

Correction:
    Took a job assisting an archeological expedition...

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. david

david Getting sticky.

While that’s often the case, the “nicer” versions of Lex (like the one in this fic) typically wants himself as the god king because he’s so arrogant that he believes it’s the absolute best way forward for humanity. If he had to choose between making humanity the premiere species in the galaxy and not ruling it, or ruling over a stagnant humanity, he’d choose the former.

Again though, it can’t be emphasized enough how rooted this is in arrogance and ego.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's good reason the Bat family mocks Paul.

24. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

If that were true, then Lex would have rolled over on the Light when OL made it abundantly clear they couldn't be trusted with the betterment of humanity. He had a choice then, to see humanity reach greater heights without his involvement, or the outside possibility of ruling over its ashes, and he chose the later. That was the day the strength of Lex failed, and he has doubled down on it ever since.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat what happened to Dark Druid in the paragon timeline?
    Was he captured during that episode where Swamp Thing invaded Gotham?
    What will OL do with the wizards that are imprisoned in Fates Tower?
    He could give them to the Chinese or some other country to execute and boost their influence on an international scale by killing mass murderers and OL gets a favor out of said country.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

To compensate for not catching it either?

27. Mr Zoat

Yes, and imprisoned in the Tower of Fate.
    Nothing. John Quinn knows where he is if he needs help.
    The SI is content to leave that to other people.

28. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

So nothing will happen in that regard unless he's involved/onscreen, got it.

I wonder how Paragon will react to this revelation; I'd also like to have seen Danner's reaction when he learned that Paragon can augment anyone with his formula (I assume that he already knows that at this point). Though I'd generally prefer present-day chapters rather than flashbacks.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

American, so a dot after "Mr".

appeared

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  30. oct9010

oct9010 .

I guess the only unanswered question left is a) where the Brazilians got anti power ring scan-blocking tech or magic for their secret prison, and b) same question for the Children of Dawn tribes in the jungle.

Since when OL met "Munroe", he was incredulous that he'd never found him before, since he'd specifically looked.