1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. greynoise

greynoise Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

There have been so many different Lexes throughout the years that it largely depends on the author's interpretation. Zoat's Lex is usually closer to the former than the latter.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker, Rookie Proofreader

Yeah, I was right, he was full-on cataconic. Not surprising that he'd retreat into himself, after seeing what he did... I'm guessing this takes place within a day or two of yesterday's chapter...

The bathing and cleansing drew his attention briefly, but wasn't enough to wake him up fully.

So Lex calls in someone who can get past his shell of depression.

"In other words, don't blame me if he just conks out again."

"Wake up, Doctor Freeman Mister Danner. Time to wake up, and smell the ashesfuture."

I bet he's feeling really disoriented right now. Between the cut of Lex and Mercy's suits, the odd technology no doubt visible, and the view out the window...

How eloquent.:p It has been a very long time, hasn't it?

Was Hugo even aware of that whole situation? Or has he been out of it since the All-Star Squadron Justice!-punched him into unconsciousness?

Ah, there we go, he's starting to remember now.

Taking his time getting the jaw muscles back in order, heh.

Goes to show how much he cared about his origins. Given the life he's lived, I'm sure he didn't miss it.

Even if he weren't over a century old, I'd want to give him a hug. He was born about forty years too soon to fit in...

Which is where he did the whole 'attempted suicide by spitting in the face of God' thing...

To be honest, it probably is partly your fault... If you'd just been content to live amongst people who accepted you... But, no, the rest of the world had to poke their noses into his little retreat... Making him lash out...

Not all of them, no. We, the audience, know that now. I'm suprised there wasn't a flash of Hope in there.

Brings a new aspect to stories about the fight, doesn't it? I hope he tells OL all this.

Would he even have seen superheroes before then? Except maybe in the newspapers? That must have been quite the shock.

Grim. No wonder Alan and the others don't like to talk about it.

And that is the sixty-four million dollar question...

And a subtle nod to the early origins of characters like Superman there.

Not mentioned: the fact that it will make him wealthy and famous even beyond what he is now. And make anyone wanting their kids to be superhuman have to come hat-in-hand to him and his companies.

Three little words. One gigantic bomb to drop on OL.

Now, how is OL going to react to this little factoid. Never mind the fact than Hugo never once thought to mention it in all their prior meetings. What must he have been feeling, hearing OL's thoughts about him?

Correction:
    Took a job assisting an archeological expedition...

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. david

david Getting out there.

While that’s often the case, the “nicer” versions of Lex (like the one in this fic) typically wants himself as the god king because he’s so arrogant that he believes it’s the absolute best way forward for humanity. If he had to choose between making humanity the premiere species in the galaxy and not ruling it, or ruling over a stagnant humanity, he’d choose the former.

Again though, it can’t be emphasized enough how rooted this is in arrogance and ego.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina I trust you know where the happy button is?

There's good reason the Bat family mocks Paul.

6. TheEyes

TheEyes Versed in the lewd.

If that were true, then Lex would have rolled over on the Light when OL made it abundantly clear they couldn't be trusted with the betterment of humanity. He had a choice then, to see humanity reach greater heights without his involvement, or the outside possibility of ruling over its ashes, and he chose the later. That was the day the strength of Lex failed, and he has doubled down on it ever since.

7. Darko

Darko I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey Zoat what happened to Dark Druid in the paragon timeline?
    Was he captured during that episode where Swamp Thing invaded Gotham?
    What will OL do with the wizards that are imprisoned in Fates Tower?
    He could give them to the Chinese or some other country to execute and boost their influence on an international scale by killing mass murderers and OL gets a favor out of said country.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Ardy

Ardy Not too sore, are you?

To compensate for not catching it either?

9. Mr Zoat

Yes, and imprisoned in the Tower of Fate.
    Nothing. John Quinn knows where he is if he needs help.
    The SI is content to leave that to other people.

10. DrThoth

DrThoth Know what you're doing yet?

So nothing will happen in that regard unless he's involved/onscreen, got it.

I wonder how Paragon will react to this revelation; I'd also like to have seen Danner's reaction when he learned that Paragon can augment anyone with his formula (I assume that he already knows that at this point). Though I'd generally prefer present-day chapters rather than flashbacks.

11. Coda

Coda Not too sore, are you?

American, so a dot after "Mr".

appeared

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  12. oct9010

oct9010 .

I guess the only unanswered question left is a) where the Brazilians got anti power ring scan-blocking tech or magic for their secret prison, and b) same question for the Children of Dawn tribes in the jungle.

Since when OL met "Munroe", he was incredulous that he'd never found him before, since he'd specifically looked.

13. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I wonder if some of the "super-races" we see like the Kryptonians or the Martians are the result of their equivalent of the Danner formula being used on the entire population way back at some point in pre-history.

As I recall, even though the formula itself appears to be alchemical magic, the resulting Danner enhanciles don't show up as magically active but rather as "conventional" superhumans.

14. Aeess

Aeess Not too sore, are you?

If I recall correctly that was actually canon once, I am pretty sure that one of the earlier explanations for Supermans powers was thr advanced science of Krypton granting them both Superior technology and Superior bodies(even on Krypton)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  15. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah I have to say it seems really convenient that OL somehow never figured this out before yet Squire somehow did with the help of a far less experienced Lantern

16. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I kind of think this is a case where the SI's extra-universal knowledge tripped him up. He heard a story that sounded like something he remembered from comics, so he assumed it was accurate and didn't investigate very hard.

17. Darko

Darko I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah OL just didn't follow up after his initial discovery because he didn't think it was important.

Ngamer11, DrThoth, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's really more that they're Schroedinger's Wizards.
    He looked for Arnold Munro. Naturally, he didn't find him because he died decades ago. As for the tribe, he was looking at records, not scanning the whole planet.

19. oct9010

oct9010 .

But, if it was before he met “Munroe”, why would he look specifically and only for Munroe rather than for scanning generally for Danner formula enhanciles, or the formula itself? As I recall he was doing most of the investigation after he already had the chemical composition of the Danner formula and a first-hand view of how it affected human tissue.

Basically, I don’t see how Luthor could find Hugo in two days. What particular insight did he have whose lack prevented OL from finding the same thing? Did he literally just skip all the intermediate steps, call up the Brazilian government and ask if they had any Americans in top-secret detention whose records they had lost?

Jormuungaand, DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  20. DrThoth

DrThoth Know what you're doing yet?

You'd think he would have trusted his Hellblazer knowledge of the corrupt and demonic British government then too, instead of just offloading it onto Batman and Fate (Nabu), who didn't find the roots of the conspiracy, if I recall correctly.

IsActuallyBatman, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

The way it reads, he did exactly that. (Well not Luthor himself, but he had his people make the call.) Keeping in mind he had an approximate date of incarceration and that it was unlikely any other prisoners from that far back would still be alive.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Back then he probably couldn't do it.
    A massive intelligence gathering network and a lot of friends in government.

23. Vaermina

Luthor had two rather important things, one of which Paul lacks.

Money and the knowledge of how to properly use said money to get what he wants.

24. Johnjohn2195

Johnjohn2195 Know what you're doing yet?

The conversation on what he could of done differently a couple chapters back is interesting to reread with him being hugo like he's looking for advice from OL and you can kinda see where he thinks differently to how OL saw the situation.

25. Ardy

Well, that and an entire lifetime of building contacts.

But yeah, between this and the Bat-family comment you're definitely not hallucinating.

Darko, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  26. Vaermina

I counted that as part of the "knowledge of how to properly use said money". :)

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Ardy

...what?

28. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Ah, right. I remembered something relevant to the current arc. In Brazil IRL, there’s a tribe that uses modern computers and phones with cameras, internet access, and GPS to know exactly where their territory’s borders are down to the square inch, and use them to identify and report to the local authorities any and every illegal logging operation that enters their territory. Does this hold true on Earth 16 as well?

29. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

So basically when OL was actually looking for Danner Enhanciles he wasn't capable of scanning everyone on earth for signs and/or still gave a shit that that was a huge invasion of privacy and after a cursory investigation gave up because he didn't want to piss off the Brazilian government by digging deeper than he was supposed to whereas with all his money and influence Lex could just phone them up and ask

Also I imagine that it was less that Arisia dug up information that Paul couldn't and more that Squires skill at investigation and deciphering meant that she just noticed stuff that he didn't

30. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Know what you're doing yet?

So on the subject of Lex deciding not to leave The Light, I do feel I should point out the reason why Lex didn't flip on them.

Zoat has actually said that Paul's argument was working on Lex. That he was essentially a hair's breadth away from such a turn. What prevented Lex from turning wasn't his ego. It was his paranoia. Lex knew that Paul could manipulate the desires of others, and when Paul was starting to sway him he essentially panicked and assumed that Paul was forcing him to have second thoughts about The Light.

Lex is still in The Light because he thinks he just barely managed to avoid being brainwashed.