1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Not really. If anything I would expect faster maturation (due to higher rate of regeneration and cellular division), while aging is retarded, so a Danner enhancile would reach their peak maturity early and maintain it longer.
    Not really? I mean, using ring scans, a pattern could be established by doing scans of multiple people and comparing their equivalent biological age to their chronological age.

2. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th March
    17:13 GMT -3

Mr Souza smiles nervously at me, his eyes slowly shifting to the Accala tribe members who accompanied me.

"So… Do you know who did it?"

One of the young men looks away, before having his right shoulder grabbed and shaken by his mother.

"I did."

"And…" Mr Souza looks at me. "Is he under arrest?"

"No, because there's a bit of a civil war going on, and I'm afraid that the ongoing activity of people like yourself-" He frowns and shakes his head in bewilderment. "-has been a contributing factor in causing it."

"Ah… Civil war? Since… When?"

"A couple of hours ago. Since the Accala are negotiating with the government, this-" I gesture to the group with my right hand. "-group aren't going to take any further action against you and yours, but if negotiations fall through they're going to chase everyone off and destroy your machinery."

The frown is becoming more irritated than confused.

"Five people?"

"Does the name 'Hugo Danner' sound familiar?" He shakes his head. I shrug, turn towards the prematurely emancipating young man and nod at the wrecked truck. "A demonstration's probably best."

The young man walks confidently towards the truck, ignoring the lumberers who have started gathering around. These are physically active men in their prime, or only a little beyond it. And the tribespeople look strong, but the workers can see that they've got completely overwhelming numbers on their side. In the normal run of things… I imagine that quite a lot of confrontations like this don't get back to the police.

I make eye contact with Overgirl, then nod upwards. She hesitates for a moment, then flies upwards into position to catch-.

The young man picks up the truck's tow bar and keeps lifting, the truck ending up front end down. People start backing away as he gets a better grip on the frame and heaves-.

The truck spins through the air for about twenty metres before Overgirl catches it, absorbing the momentum and then flying it back to the ground. It's even more worse for wear now, but it was pretty much a write-off anyway.

"Ohhh…"

Mr Souza's eyes widen a little, and there's a small but definite backing off amongst the crowd. They're not fleeing, but they certainly aren't going to try administering a punishment beating anytime soon.

"They're all that strong."

Mr Souza's still looking at the truck.

"Oh. And you're not arresting them?"

"No. The core of their complaint against the Brazilian government is that they're letting people like you do things like this-."

"We have.. permits. This is not an illegal operation."

"That's… That's rather the problem, yes. If it was illegal then they'd probably punish you themselves. But the government allows it which means that the government is the problem. The young man there wasn't supposed to do this yet. Their original plan was to give it a few more years and then wreck every piece of machinery and chase the people out. But it turns out that this is a site of historical significance for them and he got a little angry about it."

Which is a lie. They actually get one of the substances they use for their jungle chemistry version of the Danner formula here, but the Accala don't appear to realise that I can overhear them from just about any distance and I don't want them to. I also don't want to give the Brazilian government any information which might encourage them to try fighting this out. Not being able to make more enhanciles wouldn't do anything about the ones they already have, and they could almost certainly source the materials from somewhere else.

"Are they going to attack us?"

"Probably not. But I suspect that you're going to get a telephone call before too long telling you to pack up and leave, and… You might want to anticipate the order, because if negotiations with the government break down they're going to smash through here on their way to Brasilia."

"Aren't you…" He wiggles his right forefinger around in a circle. "Supposed to stop things like that?"

"Giving you a completely accurate answer to that requires… A fairly lengthy lecture on political and social philosophy. Short version?" He nods. "Both the Brazilian government and the Accala have sufficiently unclean hands that I'm not moved to help either. Sometimes people can't talk out their disagreements and -barring a superior power making a ruling- that just leaves them fighting to settle the issue instead."

"Aren't the Justice League a superior power? I mean…"

"Do you want the Justice League ruling the planet? Do you believe that they're so inherently wonderful that they should be able to tell anyone to do whatever they want, and everyone should just go along with that?"

"No, but they're stronger-."

"Yes, and if the Accala try killing civilians or the government starts trying to nuke the Amazon, they'll step in. But as things stand there's no obvious reason to pick one side over the other. And in either case our work here is done." I turn back to the group of Accala who accompanied me. "Do you want a lift back, or-?"

The family's matriarch shakes her head as they turn and-. They don't leap away like Kon used to, or try running at full strength and get their legs stuck in the ground. But they do run with enough force to shake the ground, and move with enough speed to get out of sight almost immediately.

"I.. should.. go and make some calls…"

I nod. "That would be wise. I don't think that the Brazilian government is telling anyone anything yet."

Ms Holguin's breaking news piece should be up soon, though hers isn't exactly a major international news outlet. It might take a while to get picked up more widely. Mr Souza waves his right arm in the general direction of his workers as he walks away, and Garth and Angelika approach as the crowd disperses.

"Civil war?" Garth looks concerned. "If.. that's true, I need to speak with King Orin."

"Only if I'm planning to pick a side, and I'm not. We'll be serving as neutral third party go-betweens, unless fighting starts in which case we'll be leaving. Wonder Woman is handling negotiations, which means that our job here is over."

He nods. "How are they so strong?"

"The Danner formula." Angelika looks intrigued. "The jungle people are still using it."

"Yes." I frown, and I nearly say 'no offence, but', but then I remember who I'm talking to. "I'm surprised that doesn't bother you."

"The jungle people are racially inferior to Aryans, but the Portuguese have made themselves mongrels. That is worse."

Right…

"I'll drop you both off in Brasilia, then head back to the Accalas' villiage. Our mission's over, but Wonder Woman might still want you."

They both nod, and just before the camp vanishes I see the workers beginning to pack up in a hurry.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  3. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

...and she's as 'charming' as ever.

4. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Barring. And you may want a space after the dash.
    Bother (said Pooh).

5. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Pfft. Mongrels are better than any purebreed. They're also more adorable, and deserve more love. They might be unpredictable compared to some inbred pure breed, but that just means you need to take the time to get to know them.

Also, making them stay outside, instead of under the blankets in your bed is a horrible idea. Just check them for ticks and fleas every so often.

6. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I'm assuming this in reference to mixing with the native South Americans?

Or just, y'know, being Iberians.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You've apparently forgotten that Zoat made the formula alchemy, which means this is magic, which means in this case the laws of biology can go screw themselves, just like the Garrick formula beats the laws of physics like a drum.

So their lifespan would be determined by magic. Do they age slower if they have a genetic propensity for magic? Do they age slower if they live in a more magically active area? Are different background energies more compatible with the a Dannered soul than others?

Or maybe they won't grow old ever, but will just be in perfect health and then drop dead because the stars were right.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Congratulations Paul, you just failed at preventing hundreds of thousands of people dying.

And all but guaranteed a number of countries are going to develop chemical and biological weaponry so the same sort of thing can never happen to them.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

And your solution would have been...?

I for one find it surprising but refreshing to not see the hero pull a solution out of his ass but instead go "the picture isn't clear and it's not my jurisdiction. Bye!"

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, give you one guess who it was. While he's a bit old to be spanked, I expect he's had quite the talking to.

Boy, that's blunt. I see OL is in one of his Bryonic moods.

That matter-of-fact tone is just a little concerning. OL is just done with this mission, isn't he?

Dude should have studied history a little more in school. Admittedly, Hugo Danner's uprising is probably only a minor footnote in most local textbooks...

And usually end up with the natives sporting a few bruises. Not the most pleasant aspect of the culture... This is going to be worth recording the looks on their faces.

Yeah, superhuman strength is easy to picture (Imagine the cover of Action Comics #1) but a first-hand demonstration is always a shock.

That is the sound of a man who is contemplating needing brown pants...:p

Well, I imagine there's a little variation amongst them, mostly based on gender and build, but accurate enough.

I rather expect that would result in some quite exciting moments...

I don't they care either way. If anything, it just means they might hit a little softer.

Ah, setting up a legend of 'ancient native burial ground' to help convince them to leave.

Sensible on all counts. The components are probably fairly common, the effect coming in how they're combined.

And I doubt they'll worry too much about waiting for you to get out of their way.

In other words: "Not my problem, sort it out yourselves."

Because that's how you get the Justice Lords. And you don't want the Justice Lords.

Boy, OL really is done with this shit. Still, at least it was him here. Who knows how the other squads might have handled things...

Yeah, that's the experienced movement of someone who've always had super-strength... How freaky must it look to see someone hitting what, 40 kM/h at a jog? I'm reminded of the super-run effects used for Emil Blonsky in the Incredible Hulk.

But the secret will be out soon enough.

Oh, don't worry, He'll hear about this soon enough.

There's that stunning intellect at work. But then, she's familiar with how Dannered people move, from her Donner.

Seriously, Overman can't turn up soon enough...

Feels like a loss, doesn't it? Not that he can be bothered caring anymore.

Seriously, I don't see Batman being happy with this situation at all. Or any of the League. But really, what can OL do here? Trying to force one side or the other would raise objections, and this isn't a problem to be solved by Righteous Face-punching, as much as anyone here would like it to be.

Corrections:
    This is not an illegal operation.
    "Supposed to stop things like that?"
    ...as the crowd disperses.
    ...racially inferior to Aryans,

12. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I still find it funny how Nazis see interbreeding as worse than actual different ethnic group. Like, Overgirl even said that back home all they did was relocate people of color to certain continents instead of wiping them out like they did the Jews, handicapped, those of a different sexual orientation, etc.
    Like said there is no clear "right" side to all this, though I assume everyone agrees they would prefer if a peaceful settlement was reached in general. This isn't crime but just internal issues that their charter and even GLs' rules prevent them getting involved unless it gets really bloody and warcrimy.

13. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

He does that every day he doesn't merge with the Ophidian and do his best benevolent Darkseid impression by mind controlling as much of the universe as possible. Additionally, 'failed' implies on some level that he made an attempt which isn't really all that accurate. It might be better to say that he succeeded at not mind controlling hundreds of thousands of people... which, again, is something he does on a daily basis.
    That's hardly his fault. It's not something most countries should have any real reason to worry about for decades at the least and... so what?

14. RichardWhereat

I too refrain from killing people every day. I'm a hero.

That's not sarcasm. I actually am a hero, and I agree with your response. Still not sarcasm.

15. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

If Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov doesn't get a statue for not killing a bunch of people, then neither do you.

16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The colonizers of South and Central America were fairly "enthusiastic" about race mixing. Lots of people with some combination of Native, African and European blood. You also find things like a tribe that clearly has a lot of Africa blood but their culture and language is derived more from their Native Caribbean ancestors.

17. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Honestly, with how extreme the Accala are in their demands, I don't think Brazil is going to be able to cave enough and still operate as a national entity.

Even if it does, though, the Accala are sufficiently under-educated and unskilled in terms of running a modern nation-state, or even enforcing local laws, that one of two things (or both) is going to happen very soon I expect.

The first possibility is that the government gives in enough to the tribes' demands that most of Brazil is effectively under a new government which has no experience administrating government or administering laws on any level. Groups with private interests in the abandoned areas are going to instruct private mercenary armies to vainly fight off the attackers and the Accala don't have the kind of organizational discipline required to prevent a huge death toll. People who have homes and businesses in those areas are likely going to die as well in defense of their livelihoods rather than become homeless refugees. Ultimately, the civilian death toll is going to be large enough that the Accala tribes' new nation can easily be declared a 'failed state' and the UN will clear intervention. Especially once pissed off locals start burning down massive swathes of the Amazon to get revenge and are brutally killed for it.

Even if the Accala manage to not massacre some tens of thousands of people in their takeover, though, they aren't going to be able to re-institute law and order such that the civilians don't start rioting, killing, and looting each other due to a breakdown of social services. As above, without the necessary infrastructure to instill control, the Accala can really only resort to violence to quell violence... and that loops back around to murdering lots of civilians.

The other possibility is that Brazil tries to fight it out and engages in a long and bloody conflict that will, inevitably, no matter how well-intentioned the Accala are, result in the deaths of at least tens of thousands of civilians. As mentioned, the Accala aren't formally trained and at least some of them wont' have the discipline necessary to hold back in attacking anyone and everyone in a misguided attempt at revenge for their ancestors.

...and all of that's before the tribes attempt to take over foreign countries.

So yeah, unless a miracle happens and tribes don't bite off far more territory and people than they can possibly administer at their skill and tech level, this is going to turn into a bloodbath that will almost certainly result in a UN intervention quite likely with Justice League backup.

I hate to say it, and don't make the recommendation lightly, but I really think Paul should have gone with the mind control option.

...oh, and also the global political climate ramps up tension overnight and a super-human arms-race kicks into high gear. Huge victory for the Light right here.

18. RichardWhereat

He didn't get one because it was Russia it would have gone into. They don't approve of not killing folk. They still adore Stalin.

I'm in Australia, we're quite positive on the not killing folk front. Therefore I deserve a statue.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I would have flat out told them no when they gave their demands and then explained to them how they are in no real position to give demands let alone insane demands like that.

And then backed it up with a show of force if necessary.

The simple fact is that demand being delivered to the Brazilian government was one of the worst possible things that could happen. There is no long term where they deliver that demand and come out even remotely the winners. Because even assuming the Brazilian government somehow agrees to a compromise. It's going to be a temporary thing that will last maybe a half dozen years at most before the government rolls back in with either chemical or biological weapons to wipe them out.

Yup, Paul really didn't think things through here.

20. RichardWhereat

Good on you getting your government mindlessly slaughtered like that. Didn't think you'd have it in you.

EDIT: From now on, no-one with a grudge against the government will bother attempting to negotiate. Better to just unleash hell without warning, or thoughts to civilian casualties.

21. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

also, the issues with purebreeds are...well.... look at the health issues a lot of purebreed dogs are prone to- or the ..... issues with inbreeding that started spiking the chances for european monarchs to be infertile/insane/hemophiliac...

why HASN'T OL bought up the long-term issue of inbreeding and genetic decay with monocultures/heavily restricted pairing before now? i mean- the Romanov's predilection towards Hemophilia was directly responsible (or at least a major contributor- long story involving politics, and Rasputin having the dumb luck to be nearby when the Tsar's son spontaneously stopped bleeding, which he cheerfully milked for political influence, and people getting nervous about some random, questionably sane guy talking with the Tsarina all day long) for Tsarist Russia falling apart-or at the a contributor to its decline

22. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Tbf, some people do celebrate Petrov Day.

23. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Ah, Mr Zoat, I just remembered to ask, does Paul have any plans in the works to help Akhlys out?

24. Sad Machine

Sad Machine Unshackled Unclaimed

Gilgameshes "mongrel" has a bit more weight ill be honest....hes the only one I can think of that even says that regularly

Xelloss likes this.
  25. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but he means it more in the sense that everyone else is filth compared to me, cause technically, he’s the half-breed demigod.

Cuchulin and inglorius like this.
  26. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Considering the deforesting isn't being run sustainably or viable long term, pretty sure 'fuck the (stories fictional) Brazilian government' is the right side here.

If they want more farmland or cattle pastures, point at the tracts of previously cleared rainforest that is just sitting there fallow. Tell them they can ask about having more rainforest for development when all the previously used land is being used productively. And if it can't support cultivation anymore because the people they gave it to did a crap job of managing it, to bad so sad. If that bothers you, maybe pass legislation making those you sold/gave the land to responsible for making keeping it viable or face escalating fines. And if they can't assume that means the cost to do so it greater than the worth of the company, and fine away the owners equity away in tax debt until they no longer own the company, the government does.

Because her assertion was never based on logic to begin with. If it was true that population X had traits that made it genetically superior to population Y, where X trait is just better than Y trait, then someone with 100% X traits (the superior race) would be superior to someone with only 50% X traits. But the person with 50% X (the half and half 'mongrel' example) traits would still be superior to the person with 0% X traits (the 100% Y 'inferior race')

You know, like Overgirl is. She is a laboratory created Kryptonian/Human mongrel.

The problem is, her beliefs are not actually based on logic or science. They are based on that being what she was taught and internalized during her formative years. And filled with hypocrisy and blind spots you aren't supposed to look at to closely lest you start to experience cognitive dissonance. You know, like most people's belief systems.

27. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Zasshu [​IMG]

Cockus Blockamus and erebus1994 like this.
  28. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Not really sure how the continuation of a nonsustanable deforestation program is being weighed as a greater ill than the deaths of tens of millions of people, but ok.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    And yet...
    Don't tell the National Socialists this, but there's actually plenty of genetic variation in Western Europe.
    Yes, but it's a very long term one.
    Yeah, I mean, the one time your government committed genocide it was by mass child abduction. It's like you're not even trying.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah.. Australia is a really disturbing country when you take away the great accent.