1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Terra's orbital defense response time is measured in microseconds...

Further, you seem to be forgetting that he was unconscious when he appeared in orbit and didn't know how to use his ring.

No it isn't...

No, he's not.

At most he might be like a Tau, but even that's super unlikely given he can use a Power Ring.

Warp Souls are the manifestation of a beings emotions on the Warp, anything that can feel emotions has one.

2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Golden Throne is literally the only thing that actually takes in Warp Energy and is sanctified by the mechanicus. Everything else is actively trying to keep that shit out, and even that's just Gellar Fields and wishing really hard. There's no wards on Imperium tech outside of like, the imperial Palace. And those are anti-daemon ones.

RagnarokAscendant and DAT_NOOB like this.
  3. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Battlefleet Gothic says otherwise. Half the time their macro cannon batteries are reloaded by gangs of slaves pulling on chains!

And he’s still too small to be hit by antiship weapons. Their point defence weapons might be able to hit him if he’s close enough to them, but they don’t have enough power to get through the Ring’s defences.

Dark Heresy spells out what is tech heresy pretty well, and Warp-tech is one of the things that fits the bill, outside of certain approved devices like Warp engines.

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Do WH4K orks really have individual personalities?
    In any case, this discussion has actually managed to make Warhammer boring.

Jormuungaand, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  5. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

the Wh40K version of DA ORKIEZ is basically a bunch of brits, juiced up on steroids, in a pub for three days and then going to a football game. they have their own language that sounds english but is completely incomprehensible, and you literally cannot tell them apart as they blend into a single personality. the only thing DA ORKIE BOYZ know is the WAAAGH. what WAAAGH is, is many things, but usually it's a drunken fight, either at the sports arena, or the local pub. They don't realise they're reincarnated because they're too stupid to realise they're fucking dead in the first place. you can put a bullet in an ORKIE BOYZ head and he'll rock up two minutes later wondering why his brain is as itchy as his arse.

Also using a SHIP KILLING CANNON to try and hit a small human in orbit with a power ring would be like trying to kill a fly with a cannon. basically impossible because the fucker is fast as shit and can move out of the bloody way, while you're trying to aim your cannon at something that's comparitively the size of a pea. also warp-tech was some pretty big heresy friend.

6. Threadmarks: Warlantern Fantasy Battle
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

32nd Nachgeheim 2512
    Early afternoon

"I doubt that you are unique in that regard. They are a blight upon the world, and their conquest would result in all things being undone."

And I can't tell whether she's humouring me or not.

"How do you intend to realise that goal?"

"My current plan has some.. fairly large holes in it. Initially, I intend to purge chaotic, vampiric and orcoid areas within the territory of the world's civilised peoples. Once the interior is sufficiently protected, I intend to commission a series of waystones to be built at sites of geomantic significance with the aim of controlling the winds of magic, stopping it flowing in ways useful to chaos and allowing my allies to prevent its use by such people. The elves of Ulthuan and the lizardmen of Lustria already use such techniques in their own territory, and Magister Patriarch Verspasian Kant of the Light College has expressed an interest in the creation of such a network within the Reikland Empire."

The leading Liche Priest stirs very slightly at that announcement.

"Obviously, the involvement of either the elves or the slann would be preferable, given the experience they have with such systems. However, the knowledge of the Mortuary Cult in the manipulation of hysh would be invaluable. I'm not sure that the Light College has quite gotten their heads around the idea of the undead being able to use it."

Queen Khalida turns her head slightly to her left. "Speak, Djubti, lest your ire incite our guards to violence."

"My queen, quite aside from the madness of attempting to slay the Gods of Chaos in their own realm, this is a transparent attempt to trick us into sharing secrets of the arcane with these primitives."

"Your reverence, there is no deceit here. I am directly asking you to share your wisdom with the ignorant so that we may all benefit from it. And then only on the subject of hysh manipulation; the secrets of life extension and reanimation are yours to keep and share only with the devout. We both know that the slaves of the Chaos Gods have come to Nehekhara before, and all too often have done so from the lands to the north. It is in all of our interests to stop this."

"Do not think that I did not see the daemons amongst your own host, charlatan."

"Ah, those." I turn my head towards Queen Khalida. "May I demonstrate, your majesty?"

"With caution, ambassador."

I hold out my left hand and call forth a daemonette. Without any way to transmit their hypnotic glamour they're a lot less physically appealing. It looks more like a skinny transsexual beastman than a succubus.

"This was once a daemon of Slaanesh. Then it faced me and tried to make me desire it. It failed, and the ring I wear converted every mote of magic in its make up into orange light. I take particular pride in destroying daemons in this way, since each daemon is a fragment of its patron and by doing this I permanently weaken them." Though in an equivalent period they're probably gaining more than that amount of power from their mortal servants. At least I'm reducing the net gain. "Test it, if you will. There is no longer anything of Chaos about it."

He looks to his queen. She nods. He raises his right hand, skeletal fingers half-clenched as he calls the wind of magic to him. For a fraction of a second bands of blinding white light swirl around his fingers, then they unify into a brilliant beam of white light which blasts into my construct.

And does precisely nothing. I'll give Djubti credit for not staring at his fingers.

I'm not sure exactly what spell that was. In my day you needed High Magic for Banishment, but Alric made it clear to me that that isn't the case in reality. If-.

Djubti raises both hands, and his acolytes do the same, all chanting words so magic-infused that the ring can't translate them for me. The general tone sounds like ancient Nehekharan, though the intonation is different to the versions I've heard before. This time I'm forced to shield my eyes with my hands as the light blasts forth… Again, to no effect.

"Satisfied, your reverence?"

His teeth click against one another. "Your majesty, it is free of all Chaotic influence. What it is, I cannot say."

"Could it be that he can do as he says?"

"It is conceivable. The sites of all cities in Nehekhara were chosen with geomantic considerations in mind; it does not surprise me to learn that the barbarians to the north were less discerning. Creating an alignment over a larger area would benefit all those who exist under its aegis. But it would not kill a Chaos God; merely reduce their influence."

"Of course not. That's just stage one."

The queen regards me curiously. "Then what would you do next?"

"Rebuild the Old One's polar gates, and so restrict the flow of the winds of magic to the world."

Djubti's eyes flare. "You do not have that knowledge!"

I hold up my hands in a placatory gesture. "True. Quite true. But I can hope that the slann do, and if they don't… Anything that can be discovered can be rediscovered. In the north, we're.. so used to thinking of the realms of chaos to the far north and south as being infinite, and their internal dimensions are. But measured around the sides, or from above? It's not all that big. I believe that they grew out from the site of the gates above the world, and that if we push them back far enough we may learn more. This is why the leaders of nations sponsored me to come here; they are used to fighting to survive a year, a decade… I have been able to convince them that ultimate victory is possible; that the permanent extinction-" The daemonette vanishes and the ring dims. "-of our greatest enemies is possible. That though it may be far off, there exists a path we may walk towards it. Peace, prosperity, and a world without monsters."

"Tell me, your majesty: what does ultimate victory look like for you? For the people of Nehekhara?"

"I would see vampire kind extinguished."

"You will find few in the north who would not see that as a good thing. The Lahmians, the von Carsteins, the Necrarchs and the Blood Dragons all assail the lands to the north, and I promise that any knowledge you share of how to fight them will be most eagerly put to use. Furthermore, all information collected by my masters would be available to you in turn. I-. The Emperor of Reikland has.. seen fit to grant parole to certain vampires living within his lands in exchange for saving his life. But they are very few in number. Certainly, Neferata's death would be met with nought but celebration."

"I would see all of the treasures looted from our lands returned to us."

"We can make that a part of any trading relationship. Not.. that you should have to trade for things stolen from you, but my masters don't keep track of everything brought into their lands. Locating artefacts will be a time consuming business, but well worth it to maintain an alliance."

"We would seek to be restored to the flesh which Nagash the Great Betrayer denies to us."

"I believe that all things are eventually possible. I can restore your-" Cross fingers. "-mask now, if you would like? And flesh…" This is tricky. "I will try and be as plain as I can. I have no idea how to transfer the magics binding your spirit to your mortal remains to anything else. However, it is well within my abilities to cover the bones of.. any of you, in flesh. Living flesh, as near as possible to what you had in life."

Djubti's eyes flare again. "Insane kings have wrapped themselves in stolen flesh before. All it does is draw carrion and the gods' wrath."

"Your majesty, it may be easiest for me to demonstrate? If I could have a volunteer, and if the venerable Mortuary Priest could watch closely?"

Queen Khalida raises her left hand, and one of her -check the shoulder to waist ratio- handmaidens walks forward and stops just in front of me. "Have a care, ambassador. My patience is not limitless."

I close my eyes, focusing on my desire to bring people together through my actions, to unify and strike back against the monstrosities using this world as their playground. My desire to heal the woman before me. I focus on the intact genetic code in her bones and how it compares to those of modern Nehekharans, the precise structure of her skull and how the muscles and fat and skin would lie on it. I float into the air, both hands held out towards her as the ring begins to create flesh from orange energy. Organs appear to precipitate out of the air, held in place by orange light. Next, connective tissues, muscle, fat, veins and arteries, blood, skin and-. Ah. clothes. A thought and a heart beats in her chest for the first time in centuries, another and her organs start oozing their enzymes. One last checkGood.

Not perfect. Her eyes are still vacant, her brain… It's in pristine condition but there's nothing going on.

I lower myself to the ground with a shrug. "That is the best I can do, majesty. Perhaps the priesthood or.. others, can improve upon my work, but-."

"Djubti, you are to begin the study of this at once."

"Yes, my queen." He raises his right hand again and the handmaiden turns and heads for a side exit, followed by him and his aides.

I look to Queen Khalida. "I hope I have not offended?"

"I am very far from offended. For the first time since I awoke to this new life I can believe that perhaps the promises of the Liche Priests may still be fulfilled in full. I will tell you now that I am most interested in pursuing an alliance with your masters. More than that, I wish to reward you personally as well. Is there some gift which I could bestow upon you?"

"There is… One thing, but… I don't know enough about Nehekharan culture or your particular religious oaths to know whether I can ask without causing great offence to you, which is the farthest thing from my desires."

"Ask. I will not be offended."

"Your majesty… Are you free to marry?"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

sights -> sites

8. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

Is it bad I almost want this story updated more than I want the main story?

9. varoksa

varoksa Getting sticky.

Sad that any follow up is likely more than a year away the last line made me laugh out loud and likely the queen would too, it was probably a very common offer when she was still alive and if anything the situation is nostalgic.

I feel the same, i lost interest in vanilla orange paul quite a while ago.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul once again proves that he is right, to the chagrin of an elder who believes he knows better.

Hope no one in this setting has noticed that weakness and will use it against Paol.

This is the point where he got their complete attention and earned serious goodwill. From all the hope I bet this demonstration blew their minds.

Ha! Classic Paul. Either this leads to a short misunderstanding and Paul's trying to set her up with someone or Paul really does want to marry the mummy Queen, for whatever reason. I honestly can't tell which, because Paul would definitely do either.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

moral -> mortal (I think)

Mr Zoat, that's twice in a row that you've made me care about a fandom that I only had the faintest knowledge of. I want more of this Paul, please. And more ponies too!

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think the beginning should be 'A thought,'.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Does Paul want to marry her?

Is he trying to get her to marry someone else?

When renegade talked to Komandr he said that he finds arranged marriages a weakness and paragon may have a similar mindset seeing as what he did with Kori and her fiance.

So if he wants to marry her i guess he has a necrophilia thing going on...

Are you sure he hasn't been corrupted by Chaos?
    Or like the diffrence between paragon and renegade was this Paul a necrophiliac before he came to this universe?

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, you got Paol onto his favourite thing: Exposition!

Hoo, boy. He's planning big, isn't he? Necessary to curb the powers of Chaos, but very difficult to keep everyone on track. I would expect him to be very busy running around getting all his ducks in a line for the next decade or two...

To them it'd be like mixing fire and oil... They don't know about anti-matter, after all.

Ah, the obnoxious old advisor who declares everything he's never seen before impossible. A classic archetype.

Heh, now, how to explain the Emotional Spectrum to a pre-industrial culture...

I'm picturing the older-style versions, the ugly ones with giant crab-hands, rather than the newer Diaz-style ho-bags with elongated snippers... Uuuugly.

Using desire against Avarice. I knew Daemons were stupid, but wow.

He's probably too shocked to do even that. If he had an eyebrow, it would be touching his hairline.

So, his knowledge is fourth edition, but the world is closer to sixth or seventh.

Try not to be snarky, Paol. This is not the time.

Well, that's an effective demonstration...

So what are steps two through ten?

No, that's why he's coming to you and the other elder races, hat in hand.

I suspect they didn't understand that last part, if your ring shut off from the Hope overflow, but I think the tone might have conveyed it. Hopefully translation doesn't require any focus...

Even the good ones?

No mention of the Strigoi? I know, after your time. And they're easily mistaken for necromancers...

Yeah, that's going to piss off quite a few nobles. And he's going to have to hit up Tilea and Araby as well for that.

I don't picture this ending well. And it might mean having to find the Avarice to restore an entire kingdom's worth of Khemrians...

Worst case, they get a zombie. Best case, it works. But honestly, the Khemrians are better in eternal bone right now. Easier to restore with magic.

Fingers crossed.

No mention of his mortal companions' horrified reactions? Seeing a human body from the inside out is not pretty.

Oh, ho, she wants this to succeed.

And so does he. This could be a game-changer for the people of Khemri. It might well get other Tomb Kings on his side.

Oh, my. She is impressed. I think he passed his diplomacy check, regardless of roll...

...What... Oh, I seriously hope he isn't referring to himself as a candidate...

I almost want to see what happens next, if only to find out what he meant. And don't think we didn't see that 40k snippet ahead.
    But tomorrow, we return to the ponies! And hopefully some damn fine kitty titties.

"Your reverence, there is no deceit here.
    "Satisfied, your reverence?"

16. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

I don’t know what you find weird about this situation, he just want to bone a skeleton and that pretty normal in my book.

17. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

Skeletons come pre-boned.

18. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

I'd prefer this as well,or instead of human paul. New god paul doesn't use the Ring Scott died to give him NEARLY enough, to the point it feels disrespectful.

19. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I hope the handmaiden remembers that she needs to eat and do all the other stuff to keep her new flesh healthy.

20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Classic Schmosby.

It must be pretty obvious by now that his powers stem from the ring. Is no one going to ask where it came from?

Also, how is it powered again? Because if it uses raw desire from magic than it would look like a Slaneesh artifact to them, no? Pretty suspicious, especially given his usual "rational genie" routine.

Cuchulin, Razorfloss and Darko like this.
  21. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Zoat you forgot the bones are still dead, and you don't say anything about regenerating them, so they start to produce Bone Marrow again, and there was two other things they did that we need the bones 'alive'.

22. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

Hot damn this boy moves fast!

Handlewithcare likes this.
  23. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I mean, you can try building that network, but the second you start spamming such things out, is the second the Chaos Gods unleash a Million full on warriors of chaos. And not the dinky tabletop ones, the full on magical armour wearing superhumans.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  24. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I really wasnt sure if going to the Tomb Kings was a good idea, but he might yet pull it off. Most of them wouldn't work out in a long term alliance, most Kings are too ambitious and power hungry. However, if he can use Khalida as a moderating influence on Settra, as well as restoring the mortality of the people (and nomming Negash for the immortality potion knowledge), he might have a legitimate ally long term, as well as the setup for a true endgame win.

I really enjoyed this segment, and would love to revisit it later. But I definitely wouldnt want to have it replace the Paragon and Renegade. This was a MAJOR milestone for Paol, but it seems like a lot of his previous storyline was fairly repetitive and political. 'Meet this ruler, convince them of his power via sidequest, use greed and hope to get them to agree with his vision, then repeat.'

I'm not sure how much he's been truly challenged thus far, with a good chunk of WFB being outclassed by a fully charged power ring. He is playing it smart, gaining protections for his weaknesses, taking on the enemies who rely on numbers over power, and building allies and knowledge for the midgame. But.... smart and mostly unchallenged isnt very interesting to read in a daily update format. That's why DC works so well as the setting of this story, it has a lot of challenges for a lantern on a martial level, not to mention his political and social issues.

Heck, that's people's issue with the Paragon right now. He's gotten good enough that he is on the Superman level, where he is powerful enough to ignore most enemies efforts. So Paul is working on building and gathering (and improving) allies for the late game challenges. Give it time guys, Mr Zoat has this planned out and is pacing it well, just give him time.

Ardy, Prince Charon, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... did Marvel Oh El had to deal with Marvel Zombies? Those are really really nasty. As in Resident Evil movies nasty.

Cuchulin and Oglymogly like this.
  26. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

Ok goat changing your name to Kirk

Lotor, Ardy, NightmareWarden and 4 others like this.
  27. masterofmadness

masterofmadness Know what you're doing yet?

I know this is probably not referring to himself as the candidate but given this is Paul I don't doubt he might make her interested anyway. He is capable of restoring her flesh to a descent degree and it was said of Khalida 'Her intelligence, temper and bravery were as legendary as her beauty, as was her intense sense of honour and justice' sounds like a wonderful woman to be with as any I can imagine. I could easily see this planting the seed of a relationship in Khalida's mind as she gets to knows Paul better and finds his better qualities like a sense of justice admirable and attractive.

Plus it sets up the incredible chance to tell Neferata that he finds Khalida more beautiful than her and kick her ass together as a couple.

Lotor, Ardy, BBJimmy and 2 others like this.
  28. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

I agree with you but having WHF highlights would be awesome him having the moments of struggling and finding it hard to relate to these fantasy peasants and their 'champions' for instance I would be very interested in how he became besties with Louencour's son.

Ardy and Oglymogly like this.
  29. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Who's ready for a bone-rattlin good time?

//Bone-Diggidy!

Ardy, Deadpanwitch and Cuchulin like this.
  30. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

BECOME THE BONE DADDY POUL, MAKE THE NOT NECRONS PROUD. the before necrons. the ecrons? i don't remember.

Lotor, Ardy, BBJimmy and 2 others like this.