1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

'pulled by'?

Accents, the way cruel authors get to be even more evil. :)

Well, they're getting some hospitality... Probably without poison in the tea (bru/brew)...

Also, at least they haven't got Hamish and Dougal, because they'd have said, "You'll have had your tea...". :)
    (I know, that's Edinburgh, not Glasgow...)

And, there's not been any generous offers of pony forehead being applied, yet, either.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Indeed. The majority of people don't realize just how fuckoff huge our sun is, because the relative distances make it look the same size as the moon.
    If you have the option of using a magic forcefield for containing the fusion reaction rather than gravity or magnetic fields, a functional star can be made that small or smaller.
    Particularly if the containment field can be powered by the fusion reaction itself.
    Of course this means ponies have the ability to develop practical fusion reactors right now.

Flying without decent depth perception is going to get her or someone else killed eventually.

Gantradies, Cuchulin and WereDragon like this.
  4. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Orrr... Equesstria's such a death world that unmanaged weather is double plus ungood. But, it's your fanfiction and you want to HPMoR "everypony else is stupid" it, it's your call.

And I thought Harleen's accent was bad....

5. Mr Zoat

OCD is not an indication of stupidity. It is a psychological condition.

6. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

All I know is that these renegade chapters are the best so far.

Alexandercctv, david and Enochi like this.
  7. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Most species lack the ability to regulate their weather. Particularly because without magic you cannot do so locally, instead needing to control the entire atmosphere all at once.
    By the time you can micromanage rainfall you are way beyond the point of outdoor farming or ground transport being more than a hobby.

While it isn’t unreadable, having to stop and puzzle out what they are saying is very detrimental to enjoyment of the chapter. I came for a story, not a cryptography session.

8. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Then?

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

10. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Huh I remember correctly in the comics after Twilight becomes Ruler and Celestia and Luna retire another more warlike tribe of ponies decide to challenge her.

Hmm looks like your taking the Nyx's Family approach to old Equestrian caste system? Very interesting.

david likes this.
  11. skyprinny

skyprinny Not too sore, are you?

It's been so long since we've seen og paul that I can't remember what he was doing. I'm enjoying these arcs alot and look forward to your post each day but whenever we switch back can you tell the last chapter of that paul or give a link to that chapter.

12. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

ha! excellent little snippet there.

i wouldn't say it's tortuous, but this is me with the (apparently?) Warhammer chapters. i enjoy Renegade, but i know absolutely nothing about Warhammer. i'm shocked to see myself type this, but i know more about MLP than i do Warhammer, so the Warhammer chapters are just confusing for me.

i'm still hoping, in my heart of hearts, that someday Lobo will make an appearance in the Main storyline. as the last Czarnian and having a less-than-pleasant personality, I see him as being an excellent foil for Paul's straight man. there's precedent for him being in Young Justice, too, so it's not too far-fetched!

i also hope for an update on the Ophidian and her dis/satisfaction with having her own Corps.

regardless, Zoat, keep up the good work ya bastich.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I want to say it's happened before but this story is over three million words long so I can't pinpoint in my memory when it was.

It makes sense that the ring would want to communicate information about different dialects of the same source language as different dialects of the same target language.

I did say "if she's functioning fine." If it's actually introducing a problem, that's another story entirely.

Vorian likes this.
  14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

They might be the same source language, but it’s been more than a thousand years. At this point, due to linguistic drift, their languages should be less similar than English and French, which both came from Latin/ Greek. Probably closer to English and Russian, which both came partially from Greek, but bastardized with the local languages to make their own new combinations. It’s still weird that the ring is saying the language they’re speaking is as close to standard Equestrian as Scottish is to British English but Subset shimmer still can’t understand them. If this is the way the ring translates, have to wonder what Grayven sounds like to the other pony.

Vorian and Lupercal like this.
  15. Albert Scoot

Albert Scoot Not too sore, are you?

The highlander ponies are going to be pissed that Grayven's brought back the sassenach.

david likes this.
  16. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

English isn't a romance language. English is descended from Old English, otherwise known as Anglo-Saxon which is one of the West Germanic languages. Then after the Norman conquest it got replaced with Anglo-Norman, a French relative before hybridizing into the various Middle English dialects(of which the London version ended up evolving into Early Modern English and then into Modern English).

128Hunter and Lupercal like this.
  17. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

The ponies are clearly not OCD, when referring to the actual condition and not colloquially.
    Well. Equestria probably isn't intended to be a death world canonically, either.

Lupercal likes this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

In addition to GhostKing's excellent point, one thing about linguistic drift is that the fastest source of drift is contact with other languages. Isolated populations tend to stay closer to the ancestral tongue than populations engaging in commerce with other cultures. In fact, these isolated dialects can be very informative in studying language evolution and history. They do, of course, still drift, but it's not nearly as rapid.

Case in point: I can, with some effort, muddle through Middle English untranslated. That's around 900 years. Most of the difficulty comes in changes in how the language is written -- there are entire letters of the Middle English alphabet that we don't have anymore. But it's easy to tell that it's the same language. If it's read aloud (at least with our best reconstruction of what the vowels sounded like), it sounds sort of like English spoken as if it were German.

WhiteNoise and Lupercal like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat are you going to feature Dr Hooves in this or any other future episode involving Equestria?
    Considering his interest in science and the renegades advanced technology...

20. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Actual OCD is a psychological condition, but there are plenty of people who don't have that condition and stupidly obsess over things anyway. I would argue that controlling the weather the way they seem to is less obsessive and more "we've always done it this way" type thinking. And, in my opinion, mindlessly doing something because it's been done that way before without ever questioning it...well, it's not stupidity exactly, but it also doesn't exactly suggest great intelligence.

NightmareWarden, Darko and Lupercal like this.
  21. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

There's also some significant benefits to Equestria's weather management. They never need to worry about losing crops to drought, or excessive rain. They don't need to worry about autumn rains preventing them from harvesting their crops before they're buried in snow. They don't need to worry that the winter will last longer than they have food supplies for. They don't need to worry about a sudden cold snap in late spring causing them to lose seeds to frost.

While the Renegade is right that many other cultures "get by" without controlling the weather, it honestly feels a bit OOC for him to be arguing against seizing every advantage they can.

Odysseus2099, Vorian, Darko and 2 others like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

No.
    Unless one pony with a tortoise obsession break into their weather factory and covers the country with snow.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  23. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

That doesn't mean there aren't still good reasons to implement such a system.

For that matter, they didn't always have such a system, there would have had to have been a point in history where the pegasi weren't managing the weather for the farmer's, meaning that the farmer's had to have seen some benefit in actually continuing this relationship. Nobody wants to pay for a service that doesn't actually do anything.

Bramble Thorn and Lupercal like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat if Paul can get rid of the chaotic influence over the daemons he assimilates then can he defeat Lucius The Eternal without being taken over even if he feels satisfaction from defeating him?

25. Mr Zoat

If he met one Chaos Marine amongst the billions of billions in the grim dark galaxy of the 41st millennium? Yes, probably.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  26. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Unless you are changing things, there can't be billions of chaos marines. There were nine traitor legions. Each legionis around 100 - 200 thousand strong. So, at most, there's two million of chaos space marines.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's a bit odd that so few soldiers are capable of holding a galaxy sized territory together.

I mean i know they do a pretty shitty job of it, but still that they manage to do it at all is just Mary Sueish to the extreme.

Don't say the regular human soldiers do it. They're basically just meta shields at this point.

Ardy likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

I meant billions of billions of intelligent beings. Though you're missing the post-heresy traitor chapters. The Red Corsairs are huge.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They can make more...

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

They’re meat shields who can be trusted to be loyal and report to the marines, and can deal with pacified populations and petty crime. They don’t need to be more competent since they just need to fulfill the roles of a standard militia / police group, and can source a SWAT team when necessary.