1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. A_Bibliophage

A_Bibliophage Getting sticky.

Well, i suppose whether this ends in a dumpster fire or not depends on whether or not these are the original naive but optimistic space communist Tau, or the creepy Ethereals mind controlling everyone to be their unwitting slaves in a rigid caste system Tau. I wait in suspense.

2. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Bullshit. Terra and Luna space has constant Psyker scanning that identifies and fries every unauthorised spec of dust. They really over reacted to the whole Mars debacle.

Also, I hope this OL dies fast. There's nothing more disgusting than a literal race traitor who will sell his species into servitude.

3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure how psychic Tau-Genestealers would be, but any chance they felt the scan? The SI thought they were regular Tau so he might have felt comfortable doing a ring-scan (which as established is similar in some ways to magic scrying) since they don't have psychic potential.

How long has Warlantern Paul been in the 40k universe? Does Tzeentch (or someone from the Court of Change) know about him?

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

40k! Whoop!

I am entirely certain Paul will be ecstatic! There is so much to fix! :p

The tail end of 41 huh? That's rough. Maybe he should build himself a stasis cell and sleep till Guilliman shows up?

5. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Except someone willing to work with the 40k imperium, of course.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    There is no servitude, comrade! All are equal in the Greater Good!

7. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh, well done! Out of everything I could think of in 40k that could kill you (or worst), you found one I didnt ever want to consider.

I'm going to go scream now.

At least you didn't join the Orks. I know what a Purple Ork is is, I don't want to know what a Orange one would be.

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, I bet the boyz are still happy to be getting to scrap and scrap forever.

Ah, Warhammer 40,000. The setting where ten kilometres is a cruiser-sized vessel. And nice to see the Lord Inquisitor reference.

Big bullets, shit aiming. Humanity of the 41st millennium!

Interesting design. You can almost see the Tau aesthetic, but it's buried under greebling.

Yes, the life of an ordinary person in the Dark Millennium is short, brutal and likely to end violently. I can understand his desire for safety.

Gue'vesa or Demiurg, perhaps? The ship suggest function over form, guns placed wherever they can fit...

Yes, probably a good idea unless you want them to panic and start shooting.

Oh, goddammit, it's stuck on High Gothic responses, isn't it?

Sounds like someone who's not a regular crew member, if they don't know their ships name. Or it's brand new and they're a fresh crew.

Interesting opening.

Putting quite the character out there, aren't you?

So, likely killed during the Ork's boarding actions...

A 'thank you' in person, for a start? She's really not used to talking to non-tau, is she?

Concerning. I shudder to imagine the state of his ring charge, unless it's got the same deal as the Old World, charging from the Warp.

Not that that means anything to her. You're going to have some explaining to do.

How frank. But seeing the xenophobes humanity have become, I can see why.

Spoiler, it was not one that said "We come in peace."

So not "We come in peace," So much as, "Waaaaaagh! Krump dose Grots!"

Good to see he's learnt some basic techniques with the ring.

Hoo-bloody-ray. Damn Imperial death-fetish.

Maltusian Xeno-tech vs Tau software? No bet.

As opposed to the Gothic portcullis-and-gate of an Imperial craft.

Yes, a very good idea to know what's waiting for you.

A Fire Caste Breacher Team and a Water-Caste Diplomat? A reasonable response to an unknown entity.

And Stealth Suits? Or Stealthed Drones.

Oh, that does not sound as good as hoped for. Please don't be a Genestealer Infestation...

Well, first contact achieved. And from Zoat's comments, it's 4th-edition era Space Communists Tau rather than the later Grim-derp versions.
    Let's hope this Paul doesn't promptly get killed off, at least not before he gets snatched by the Time-Trapper or the Red Queen, or whoever's responsible...

Corrections:
    Maybe they're auxiliaries?
    ...but it is a setting where...
    ...a chunk of it is now obscured...

9. Grimnar

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Most of the human population lives on civilised worlds and in hives. They go to church to pray, and they occasionally get roughed up by an Arbites patrol looking for mutants or Psykers. They not live in the most glamourous enviroments or locales, but on the whole they are safe and free to go about their lives. They may be drafted to help stop rampaging aliens from Eating thier whole sector, or raping their entire planet to death. It sucks, but it needs to happen.

They may be killed by overenthusiastic leadership in galactic firebreaking endeavers. It sucks. It might need to happen, maybe not.

But by and large it's humans for humanity. And they live their lives as best they could.

The Tau Empire victorious has them as second class citizens. Black people in early 20th century america, For the Entire human race. Don't count the Psyker purges that will probably see them performing genocide on the regular.

One state of affairs is clearly superior to the other, and it isn't the fucking aliens.

The Imperium isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but in a Universe that wants to Murder, Corrupt, Eat, Rape and Enslave you, it's the clear fucking front runner for human interests.

Bar. Fucking. None.

10. david

david Getting sticky.

First of all, chill.

Secondly, if the choices are between a morally repugnant group that will elevate your race or... an arguably less morally repugnant group that wont treat your race all that well, the choice isn't set in stone. I'm not sure I'd sign up with the Tau, but working with the Imperium? I'm trying to avoid Godwins law here but we are talking about collaborating with genocidal fascists.

11. Mr Zoat

That was an ork munition.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

Hint. The "Yes" reply from the ring is a link.

13. varoksa

varoksa Getting sticky.

The thing is its not about the Human Race its about Zoat, joining the imperium would likely require brain flossing at a minimum while the Tau would give him premium membership with the gold trim.

He straight up said he washes his hands of humanity so hes obviously looking out for number one here.

Jaron, KenNM, BlueMangoAdea and 21 others like this.
  14. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

yeah paul is not gonna let them take advantage. also please dial back on the white nationalist language. the imperium are bad guys. also the space wolves suck.

15. Grimnar

At the expense of the Human race.

Let's be generous and say that he limits his operations to Tau space itself. He clears out gene-stealer infestations, invades Ork strongholds and so on. He becomes a stabilising influence in the sector.

The Tau will then take all the resources that has saved them, and pump it into the next Expansion, using those gains and internal security to strengthen their invasion forces as they conqueor human worlds. Then comes the sterilisations, the brainwashing, the forced relocation and Slavery in all but name.

16. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

you are making a lot of assumptions. if i wanted a better future for humanity i wouldnt start with the zealots.

17. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

One's view of the Imperium rather heavily depends on the media they've been (or haven't been) exposed to, I think. As someone who's most familiar with Cain's memoirs and Rogue Trader, I don't see the Imperium as that bad of a state in general (although the edge cases can be all kinds of horrifying). Even then, though, a case can be made for working with Tau because the Imperium is horrifically resistant to any kind of positive change, partly due to doctrine that emerged to resist any kind of change at all in response to the plethora of subversive threats, partly due to enormous social inertia. Meanwhile, it's just not possible to strike out on one's own and build something from scratch without significant risk of being arbitrarily crushed by an unstoppable threat (as MC notes), and 40k setting is woefully low on palatable interstellar powers that could shelter such an undertaking in its infancy.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  18. Grimnar

He has no say in Tau internal affairs, and to think he would have any wieght worth anything is laughable.

Fucking lol. If being against humans being taken over by aliens and forced into being second class citizens is White Nationalist language then (ironically) you can call me a white nationalist any day of the fucking week. It's that the conotations it carries, I'll wear it with pride.

To who? They keep trillions of humans alive in a hostile galaxy. They arn't the best guys, but they are far from the bad guys.
    The Space wolves are unironically some of the best people in the entire setting. If you think they suck, with your wierd ass definitions, then they are clearly the tourch bearers of awesome.

Then why would he be stating with the Tau? Fucking lol.

19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I can't hear you over the sound of you heresy
    And They can't even fight in melee

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The T'au are the closest thing to M2 humanity that exists in M41. It's not close. The Imperium shares genes, but the T'au share (Dawkinsian) memes, and we are far more a product of our memes than our genes at this point.

21. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Oh, i do love a good Wh40K insert and yeah humanity are kinda crazy but so is every single species in Wh40K in a way or another, the Tau aren’t exempt from this and can’t even fight in melee, Paul should be careful because if they see an ocassion were they can can kill him and take the ring, they will not hesitate.

22. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

My issue here is that you seem to be pretending that that last bit doesn't include the imperium. The bit about black people in 20th century America is fair enough but you really need to mention that the alternative is Jews in 1940s Germany. That said, I do agree that one is clearly superior to the other I just find it a little disconcerting, disturbing or, dare I say, "disgusting" that you disagree on which it is.
    Still, you do you, I guess.

23. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I don't think that there is sufficient unbiased lore on the Tau for anyone to definitively say whether they are better or worse than the Imperium. The morality and wisdom of siding with them will all depend on Zoat.

KenNM, mossconfig, Caerwen and 11 others like this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul no doubt misidentified the solar system because his ring used pulsar positioning.

Remember, Golden Age Humanity moved the actual Sol system twenty thousand some light years away from it's normal position.

KenNM and zerofarad like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This version of Paul could be working for the Emperor.
    Zoat said something about him going to his throne room.
    This could mean that he is working on his behalf and trying to gain an alliance with the Tau seeing as they are practically the most reasonable species in this setting.
    The Emperor could have asked him to do this seeing as while he protects humanity, even he has to acknowledge that humanity is fucked up and practically useless right now.

Zoat what is Steppenwolf the god of?
    The newest chapter of Life Ore Death said that he was the god of Predation and i was wondering what your version is the god of exactly?

Can Old Gods travel through space by their own power in your fic, and please don't say the SI or renegade doesn't know?
    The newest issues of Lucifer have had the Wild Hunt and Odin travel to another galaxy to hunt the Hunted God, plus Mazekeen was able to track Lucifer down to another solar system and in Life Ore Death, one of the Titans was able to leave the Earth and go to the Vega system even though she was greatly weakened and Donna was sent to capture her, flying using god magic to go there.

Zoat will there ever be any chapter about alternate versions of the SI that went into some anime universe, like Bleach?
    He could help Hallibel with creating a society for Hollows and maybe strike up a romance there, or with one of her Fraccion, or both her and the other three:D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  26. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

i'm just gonna point out. if i was seen as peanuts, and my choice was slavery or EXTERMINATUS on the rough chance that there might be a single daemon on my planet, you're damn fucking right i'd pick slavery. fuck being melted to dust. bunch of coked up cunts is what the inquisition is these days.

EDIT: and calling him a race traitor is rich, considering that A. Chaos marines exist, and B. most "Factions" of the imperium, are more likely to spit all over each other, slaughter each other, and other "others" just on a whim, or because the voices in their head told them to, or just because they don't want to be accused of being a traitor. most of the legions are completely neurotic, the astartes are basically useless in the golden toilet bowl coffin, and then there's the inquisition. just. all of the inquisition.

Calling paul a race traitor for doing the EXACT SAME THING that rogue traders do, is fuckin stupid.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... The Inquisition hasn't been like that for a good long while...

Especially since Roboute Guilliman returned.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Slavery, sterilization, brainwashing basically exist within the Imperium.
    So it's essentially just a choice between a lesser evil, which the Tau even in their worst tend to represent, and just being mistreated by another species instead of your own.

KenNM, david, WhiteNoise and 3 others like this.
  29. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

The other side of this is that it's infinitely preferrable to be incinerated as opposed to actually running afoul of a daemon powerful enough to warrant an Exterminatus. And the trade-off between type I and type II errors is a merciless thing.

BBJimmy and MondayMorning37 like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

He did? He doesn't remember doing that.
    Pass.
    I suppose that's not a terrible answer.
    Probably. Though I should point out that humanoids can as well, by building spaceships.
    It's not impossible. Interspecies Reviewer for the NSFW thread?
    I haven't ever watched Bleach.