1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Galatea from the JL cartoon universe?

Because if he does travel to alternate dimensions and ends up in Peter's or Goldie's universe then I can see that happening.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be fair, while I think adding more emotional spectrum components is pretty unnecessary (I believe the Ultraviolets are 'shame' or something?), joy/happiness seems like a basic emotion that should have always been there (I guess hope covers it to an extent, but still).
    And now I'm reminded of that old Teal Lantern fic from ages ago.

In terms of Galatea, I'd like to see Peter Wynne taking her under his wing or something. I feel like he could talk her around.

Ngamer11, Vorian and Darko like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or Goldie can do it considering they both have some things in common.

Both of them were essentially living weapons so maybe he can help her become something more, plus there is the chance of a romantic relationship there.

Paragon helped Jade become something more than just a killer and they're dating now.

If not a romantic relationship then a parental one may work.

The various versions of Paul are willing to adopt children so there is a chance, albeit a small one.

Though with Hamilton there maybe he'll just become a close friend of Galatea.

Ngamer11, DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

*Conquest

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  5. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Which is just odd, since Joy is White Lantern stuff.

Darko likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

White is all the emotions, including rage and fear.

Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That was a reference to Deadman's stint as a White Lantern.

His ring gained charge from him enjoying his life- eating a bacon cheeseburger, driving a car fast, getting a runner's high, that's the kind of stuff that increased his ring charge.

That's assuming that there will be a new emotion for Gold Lantern. There probably will be, but it's not actually necessary. Alan Scott's ring was powered by magic for years, and Earth-2 Alan is powered by the Green.

There's even a story in which the local Green Lantern's ring is an enchanted kryptonite ring. The local wizards had figured out to harness the radiation to power their magic.

caspian1a, Ngamer11, Darko and 3 others like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6th April
    04:18 GMT

Batman's eyes narrow at the holographic representation of the Cluster ship as it opens its primary docking bay, releasing three craft.

"Where are they going?"

I know that I don't need sleep and that Manga Khan and I are part of the same organisation, but that doesn't actually mean that I have any insight that I couldn't share in five minutes. And yet since he arrived I've been more in demand than ever. Are people seriously only just waking up to the idea that the rest of the universe exists? I'd say 'no', but…

I look over to John Stewart, who raises his eyebrows.

"He's talking to you."

"I'd have thought that the Green Lantern Corps' records on ClusterCorp would make you the expert."

"You're really not taking any responsibility for this, are you?"

"If he were a Green Lantern Sector Lantern and I was the Illustres of the Green Lantern Corps, I wouldn't have any responsibility for him outside of a war zone unless the Guardians gave it to me."

But anyway, I turn and look through the Watchtower's hull towards the Cluster ship.

"Looks like… Someone on the surface radioed them and they're going to make a trade. Not something profitable; they're just doing it to build market confidence."

Kal-El frowns at me. "But the UN hasn't finished negotiating trade terms yet."

"Manga Khan will start caring about that the moment it impacts his bottom line. He has no intention of giving even lip service to any agreement that he isn't a party to and doesn't serve his interests. The fact that Earth doesn't have any space-based weapons means that the UN has no way of preventing him from landing where he wants and doing business with whomever he wants, with the possible exception that governments that want to do business with him might try and hide the fact."

King Orin's arms are firmly folded across his chest.

"Do you have any helpful suggestions?"

"Those landers are pretty cheap and.. probably only crewed by dumb robots. Destroying them would send a clear message about territorial sovereignty, though that would imply to anyone watching that the Justice League are the rulers of Earth with total executive authority on the subject of foreign trade."

Lines appear on the holographic display as Batman tries to work out where the landers are going.

"Central Australia, East Africa and the South Pole."

Kal-El raises his eyebrows slightly.

"Not exactly bustling trade centers."

King Orin looks at me. I look at John.

"Why are you trying to be so hands off with this?"

"Because this is Earth's first contact with an extra-terrestrial political entity and I -may I remind you- have no legal authority to act. I have the capacity to act-."

Kal-El nods. "But you don't want us to get off on the wrong foot."

"It's not that I'd mind being made King of Earth…" I frown. "No, I would. I'm not even comfortable making a joke about it. But… You've been openly kryptonian for… What, fourteen years? If no one's got a plan for dealing with this sort of thing by now then it's trial-by-fire time because they've had plenty of notice."

"The ship heading towards East Africa is most likely going to land on the disputed border between Zambesia and Kahndaq."

"Is Zambesia still disputing it? Brave of them."

King Orin continues to be unimpressed. "Do you have any idea why?"

"No one owns the South Pole, no one owns Bir Tawil and Central Australia is basically empty. I imagine that Manga Khan is going to claim that they're unowned, and as such that no government has the authority to restrict what happens there."

John looks at the holographic projection. "I think the Australian government might take issue with that."

Batman enlarges the image of the lander. "Are they armed?"

"I'd be armed if I had to deal with Koalas all day."

"Are the landers armed?"

"They're usually not, though the crew will be lightly armed."

He looks at King Orin. "Did the Security Council give you any indication of how they wanted us to handle this?"

"Nothing actionable. Not unless they attack somewhere. Until things change, the most we can do is monitor the Cluster ships and keep them informed. Orange Lantern."

"Aquaman."

"Go and talk to Manga Khan. Try and get a better idea of what he wants."

"Um."

His face hardens. "I don't care that he's not under your authority. You just need to have a conversation with him."

"Aquaman… Aside from the obvious conflict of interest, you don't… Actually have the authority to give me orders. I'm not-" He grimaces. "-a member of the Justice League, and I'm not one of your subjects. If you want me to do you a fav-?"

"Orange Lantern." Batman turns to face me. "Go to the Cluster ship and talk to Manga Khan. Try and find out for certain exactly what he wants here."

"Certainly, sir." I raise my right index and middle fingers to my forehead. "I'll let you know when I have something."

I vanish,

reappearing just behind the landers and facing the Cluster ship. It's big, but I've seen much bigger. And the design… The original design was for something like the Star Wars Trade Federation Lucrehulks, a ball-shaped central unit with additional units stuck on the outside as needed. This abomination is the result of them deciding that it was cheaper and easier to just stick the balls together, especially given that their form of FTL doesn't require much in the way of structural stability.

But still

"Orange Lantern Illustres-"

"Paul."

"-to Lord-Lantern Comic King. Please respond."

My ring.. glows, as if he was responding. But my ring doesn't show his face. Then the roomba-like head of an L-series personal assistant robot appears.

"Lord-Lantern Comic King is currently engaged-"

"Manga Khan!"

"-in legitimate commercial activity, pursuant to-."

"I know you are. I've been told to do the laziest sort of corporate intelligence gathering and just ask you what you're planning."

"They want me to tell them what I'm planning?"

And suddenly I remember one of Lord-Lantern Comic King's most well-known personal attributes.

"Yes. I'm obliged to listen to him talk about it for as long as he likes."

"Let him on board! I will astound him with the brilliance of my business strategy!"

The robot's eye lights noticeably dim.

"You're shouting again, sir."

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  9. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

How long has it been since Jade was released from prison?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'as it opens' not just 'ship opens' I think

'mean' not 'meant'

Oh boy here comes the Network or Mr World speech.

11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Wait a second... That changed, didn't it? Wasn't it originally "I step out"?

12. RichardWhereat

This is hilarious. Central Australia is fairly close to being armed. There are two airforce bases on either side to deal with Indonesia, emus, and latent koala terrorist threat should they emerge again.

How close to Alice are they landing?

ChestBurster, zerofarad, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  13. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Yer a brave man Paul. JUmp Up Elemental Speed.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hah! Even the robot is tired of his shit!

I wonder what Dox is planning though, assuming he sent him?

Galxy wide trade networks would increase interdependency and therefore, potentially, strengthen peace efforts.

Maybe Khan is meant to help facilitate these?

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He is technically vanishing from the material universe.

A good thing that may come out of this is that people may become even more wary of corporations and what they do, as well as getting the UN to finally try to set up some ways of dealing with aliens in a political manner.

And it may give corporations a taste of their own medicine when someone who the government can't act against is disrupting their business.

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

About a year.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Since the SI is the only one who does it, he can use other words to describe it in the privacy of his own head.
    I don't know. As far from any settlement as they can manage.

17. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Oh man. I love this guy.

I'm like 70/30 that Dox didn't send him though. He got a random ring, just like the duellist and the guys in the space-fortress, and he's been using it to expand his business ever since.

18. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Oh, so it’s just a change of phrase? I thought something might have changed about his technique, or something.

Xmaster3000, McGraw and Darko like this.
  19. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

"I regret everything; let's make him Paul's problem instead. He deserves it for making so much trouble for me already."

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat said that Dox was experimenting to see what makes a good Lantern.

Also Khan had LEGION codes and he may have just been the closest to the Earth so Dox decided to send him.

Also Dox may want to screw with Paul for a bit, in a non sexual way, for giving him so much trouble.

21. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

His "why is everyone except me so incompetent" shtick really doesn't work when the problem at hand is caused by the organization he himself founded, with said organization coming across like a group of toddlers with nukes.

22. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

A pity Paul didn't bring Batman along with him. I'm sure he would have been THRILLED to have to listen to someone gloat over an extended period of time about their business practices!

MANGA KHAN: I hear this "Wayne Enterprises" promised an Electric Car the previous cycle, but never delivered. BAH! I assure you, ClusterCorp can not only provide the most cost-efficient and durable vehicle in the galaxy, we'll also throw in a free attachable levitation-device for your purchase!

BATMAN: (thinking) Well, F@#$ you too.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean, he's not wrong.

Earth has known that there is life on other planets for at least a decade with Superman around, and there may have been alien visitations in the past that have been recorded.

The UN honestly should have had some ways of dealing with an alien polity trying to make contact.

Also Manga Khan would have probably done this on his own even if he wasn't a member of the OLC.

24. RichardWhereat

Western Australia then, in the middle of nomadic aboriginal lands, and they probably aren't armed. Beyond pointy stick launchers and rifles.

25. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Dox would have to be fucking stupid to send someone who would interfere with his Illustres personal project.

Orange Lanterns generally don't like it when people mess with their stuff. A good example would be what happened in Vega and OL's reaction.

Also, Lol Austrialia, they can't even protect their own airspace!

26. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

I'm pretty sure the whole "We sum the duration of sentences and you can get more than 100 years of imprisonment" only exist in the Commonwealth.
    For other countries in Europe, if one gets a life sentence, it doesn't have a duration, you get to leave when you're too old for prison, i.e. around 70. So getting a 50 years sentence isn't much of a reduction, it's more or less what she would already got.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I hope that's rhetorical, because how does he expect OL to know? Manga Khan isn't working for him.

OL is going to be having a long conversation with Clarrissi Dox next time they're in the same area, aren't they?

It's called 'passing the buck', John. Amazing how everyone expects OL to know about this.

Not OL's Chain of Command, after all. Would a four-star general take responsibility for a sailor's activities?

In less polite terms, 'fucked if I know.'

Sounds like someone's trying for some backroom dealings...

Ah, the legalities, or lack thereof, of interstellar trade. Especially when the more experienced party has few scruples...

I think Arthur's starting to get a little annoyed with OL... It has been quite the day...

And doesn't that frighten them a little, I wonder...

Inhospitable, hostile, and fucking dangerous, in no particular order.

Definitely someone trying to get a jump on other powers...

He's pulling Kal-El's own 'let them develop at their own rate' thing? Ha!

I bet some people do have plans, they're just mostly Lex Luthor...

I take it Teth Adom has been playing it softly. Or busy with other matters to attend personally.

One out of three isn't great. You'd think he'd do a little more research...

Bloody Oath! Damn right. But the Kangaroos are the scary ones...

I can just picture Batman's grumpy face here... OL is really trying his patience.

Oh, is he actually going to try and give OL an order? Just one problem...

Speaking of chains of command...

I don't know, I wouldn't want to have to actually talk to Manga Khan either...

See, now he's in the chain of command, since OL is a member of the Team. They really need to give it a proper name, at this point...

And Aquaman is sitting there seething...

And it's not like it has to enter atmosphere, though I expect there are heavy shields available just in case.

Oh, he's going to have fun with this, isn't he? In between rubbing his temples...

L-Ron! Put-upon personal assistant of the great Manga Khan, also has a secret crush on their boss. It's a thing.

You don't want mistranslations, don't use random words, bro.

I can't help but picture this as Manga Khan yelling so loudly that OL can hear him. In space.

Oh, this is not going to be fun at all, is it?:rolleyes:

Seriously, these two are comic gold. If you want laughs, look up the Keith Giffen runs of Justice League, and the two miniseries he did later.

Well, it's a good thing OL's environmental field can dampen sound, because Manga Khan can get real loud. Hopefully Big Goldy has been taking his meds for that little soliloquising disorder...

jonasquinn, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 18 others like this.
  28. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, but asking the guy who gave the toddlers the nukes to defuse the situation rarely works.

Ardy, Xmaster3000, CTrees and 4 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Dox and OL don't exactly have a cordial relationship.

Fictional country, so maybe they have different laws.

30. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I would say that the greater blame lies with the governments of Earth than with Lord-Lantern Comic King. He has been reasonably civil in his attempt to open up peaceful economic relations with the people of Earth. It is not his fault that nations of Earth's near complete lack of preparation for managing peaceful contact has left him forced to do this thru crude methods.

By all accounts the people of Earth have had decades to come to term with the fact that the Universe is filled with Aliens who will likely come to visit Earth. There should be at the very least some semblance of a unified plan. My perspective is that the fact that Humanity is struggling to find a way to respond to this absolute best case scenario of contact and is likely going to have to entirely rely on the Justice League for guidance says very bad things about their competence.

jonasquinn, Ardy, erebus1994 and 17 others like this.