1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, Lord Protector is in the 2011 series. That's why there are more then ten cats around.

2. Austin Pharos

Austin Pharos Know what you're doing yet?

He might know about Ziz and not be confident in being able to kill her. If he attacked her and failed, he'd trigger a Ziz attack early and get hundreds of thousands of people killed. He also almost certainly cannot kill an Endbringer on his own. There's roughly a solar system's worth of mass in the way, and a ring can't even blow up a planet, let alone several. Plus, Endbringers regenerate, so a slow chip damage strat would also fail.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Revolving door isn't nearly the thing it is in DC, though.

Not quite. He doesn't know he's on the titanic. He's more like the cast in TLJ, likely to make things worse in ignorance.

Kinda, but his chance against Zion is... Poor.

Yes.
    An early reviewer complained how nobody dies in Worm.
    While, for subtler problems...
    The amount of the parahumans grows exponentially and includes behavior modification geared towards conflict.
    Endbringers aren't that powerful at DC scale, but they're great at collateral damage and extremely hardy even on DC scale. Also, there are many of them.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  4. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

Isn't the whole "Solar system/galaxy worth of mass" just the mass they have in storage which is used for upkeep and restoration for taking hits?Not that their actual physical bodies have that much mass in them.

If so, what would theoretically happen if you got one of the Endringers into let's say a "zone" where all interdimensional connections were cut off? Would it just fall and stop? Would it explode?

5. Pakisabi

Pakisabi Master Procrastinator

Though I do agree that Starfire suits the blue ring more than orange, I’ll feel a bit sad to see one of the founding Orange Lanterns switch corps. I mean, she even played an important role in teaching the new corps members how to control themselves.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

But is she giving them biscuits because she's trying to be nice or because she hopes they'll take it and leave her alone?

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It would explode with the force of small nova as the force holding it's neutronium level matter together was removed.

So say goodbye to the Earth.

MadMarx420 likes this.
  8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The worm shit is over and so should be the discussion of irrelevant worm Canon, this isn't a VS thread where peddling specific interpretations is the point of the thread.

9. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Spoilers for a young adult book series from the 90's, but Animorphs, the series about children getting shapeshifting powers and waking up to the fact they're child soldiers in an intergalactic war, and not happy superheros, ends a bit like that. The bad aliens were body snatching slugs that hated not having bodies, and the good aliens had shapeshifting tech that came with a mode lock. After a few warcrimes here and there, they put 2 and 2 together and shifted the slugs into stuff that are not slugs.

Thanks for filling in the blanks there, it does at least cover the why....he's cleaning house here so he doesn't end up cleaning up the mess if it spilled over back home. And if things are that cozy on Third Earth then it's likely this is the first real fight he's had in a while. Doesn't excuse anything, but at least there's some train of logic. A master of fear with nothing to do is one of those 'idle hands do the devils work' moments I'm sure.

As for the Third Earth thing, for the original series there is some implications that it's a 3rd Age on Old Earth, and things have smashed the planet flat a few times and this is just it's next iteration on evolution. Some bits of lore imply that Mumm-Ra and Mumm-Rama are, or rather were human, and lived in a previous version of the world before shuffling off the mortal coil.

One of the stronger bits of evidence for 'earth that was' existing was the fact that one episode had Mumm-Ra looking for a weapon to match the power of the Sword of Omens, and figured he'd shapeshift to resemble King Arthur and reclaimed Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake. Evidently the Evil Detector on Excalibur was due for a service, because it worked until the dork stopped to gloat. Then Merlin shows up to fix things....

Evidently the swords really didn't like each other.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  10. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'd be inclined to the 'stored mass for maintenance' interpretation. Means physics gets abused less.

If I recall the suggested structure of Endbringers right, 'fail and stop' sounds credible. Again, minimum physics abuse required. Might blow some fuses back at the shard end, if each Endbringer is a micro-Entity made of several shards. Again, the shards are likely to be using a lot of power to drive their dimensional interfaces, and suddenly blocking them could be... unfortunate. I think it likely the self-repair mechanisms of the various shards would be able to fix things, given some time, unless they were running really 'hot'. Depends on the quality of the engineering of their pseudo-biology.

On the YL side, his Ring will be having to use a lot of power to do cooling for its dimensional blocking systems, which I'm assuming means dumping waste heat into (cool-ish) other dimensional spaces. The Ring itself being basically a piece of apparently physical interface logic for an immaterial structure which is likely very big, possibly solar system (galaxy?) sized. But, we've never got any real handle on just how big the immaterial bits of Rings are.

The business of the physical part of a super-power being small compared to the immaterial bits of powers that do the 'heavy lifting' is something I proposed on another forum (SV, I think; doubt I'm the first person to do that), and is one way you might be able to implement a lot of super-powers using Real World physics and some way to shuffle stuff (matter, energy and information) between dimensions. The difference is, non-Worm super-powers don't have (at least) tera-tonnes of semi-living crystal in another dimensional space. (A terra-tonne is about a 250 cubic kilometers, assuming shard crystal is about four times as dense as water; assuming I'm not experiencing a math failure. :) )

Of course, if your super-power makes a mistake, your fragile human body just froze or caught fire. Most likely evaporated... Because the waste heat wasn't managed right...

The implication is that the Entities are using their pseudo-biology to do things that the Guardians figured-out how to do a very long time ago, and implemented as Power Rings. You want to know what the coloured light associated with Power Rings is? It's a user-interface feature, to make the logic of ring-use easier for naked ape (etc.) brains. :)

I could believe that. It'd be quite neat.

11. wildside

wildside The Lurking Savage.

Hey everyone.
    I've been following this fic for a LONG time now, started binge reading it in SB and catched up in a few days, after that i read every new upload in the morning, just after waking up, for close to a year now.
    For whatever reason i decided to create an account now. I most likely will still not comment a lot, if at all, but i just wanted to say that i I appreciate this story.

ps: The text under my name. how do i change it ? i looked at the most asked questions and it said ( Default Titles are set based on total post count. If you wish for a custom title, you can change it in the Personal Details page.) but the link just sends me to an error page ( You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.) if someone can help please ?

pss: This is not my language, so forgive any written mistakes.

12. Information era

Information era Getting sticky.

Doing it quickly at least partly implies that he is best at sniping, and possibly worse in a straight fight.

My point is that he is doing neither of actually researching or dealing with serious threat. His planning seems to be constrained entirely to the immediate next 2 minutes and events within a few miles at most.

He also apparently knows that he is destroying the current 'preventing the end of the world' support system without actually being sure that he could replace it. Meta knowledge says he'll no he can't. Canon native mastermind also says he'll no he can't.

He is also rampantly killing people without any pretence of a trial beyond checking the internet to see if they are listed as criminals who have done crimes.

Lastly, to you people who say that the supervillains are all murderers, they have at most committed manslaughter or ordered those under them to commit murder (few exceptions in cases of people like hookwolf). Idealistic supervillains like purity have probably only committed manslaughter. Pretty much all of the supervillains in this world should be below most pauls' kill thresholds. And LP specifically was killing people with the justification that he didn't have the resources to do anything else. He currently has the resources to do it the nice way.

Also, thought of a thing. Earth bet has the same media as earth prime, with only a slight decrease of popularity of superhero media. They have media of what a yellow lantern is. It might take some time to realize that he is an actual yellow lantern, but it would be simple enough to peg him as a theme tinker that believes he is a yellow lantern and is able to copy the abilities of them.

13. MadMarx420

Comics died in the 80s on Earth Bet, this is a WOG "There were comic books, but comics never really got to the bronze age, where they really had stories or where characters had more than surface depth." This is probably an error on Wildbows part because the "Bronze Age" of comics I believe ends around the time Scion arrives, maybe a year or two later.

Now since Scion appeared in 1982, this means that comic book industry pretty much died before we even got to Post-Crisis. So any references they have may be to Bronze/Silver age iterations. I don't think the average person/parahuman will make the connection but old school comic fans might see the similarities.

14. Information era

The lantern and ring has a readily identifiable sigil on it. It takes a 3 minute background check consisting of a Google image search to pick up on the connection.

Yellow lantern's were also 20 years old even when scion showed up

WhiteNoise and Cuchulin like this.
  15. MadMarx420

You're missing the point though, comics have been dead for decades and most people don't read comics, so how many people are going to look at Paul and go "wait a minute doesn't he look like a yellow lantern from those old DC comics", chances are not many. Also I just did a quick look and I don't even think the Yellow lantern symbol existed back then, you just had Sinestro and his weird costume no actual yellow light symbol or sinestro corp

Darko, Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  16. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Isn’t earth Aleph a thing? Don’t they share media or is that fanon?

Prince Charon and WhiteNoise like this.
  17. MadMarx420

I don't know, a quick wikipedia search shows that the first mention of the Sinestro Corp was in 2006 in Green Lantern vol. 4 #10.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Information era

Sinestro himself is from the 60's.

Also, yeah, they share media with earth aleph. Superheroes revealed that they existed in 1987. It is probably reasonable that there was a short surge of popularity for superhero media before dying down. 1990 or so. Taking longer to do so in earth aleph.

Still "oh hey this new supervillain has a sigil on his main stuff, let's search the databases to see if it matches anything. Huh, it matches this old comic book character, let's remember that"

Silver age green lantern was from 1960-1984, so we'll within the timeframe. Hilariously, they might think he is based on a green lantern since that stuff was codified earlier.

Eh, sinestro got his yellow power ring in 1961, so chances are they will guess correctly that he is at least based on a yellow lantern.

19. MadMarx420

The average person finding something that obscure? Not quickly anyway. The government though, they'll probably find the connection especially if they have access to Earth Alephs internet/government.

Sinestro himself may be from the 60s but 1) no one right now knows he's powered by the yellow light of fear and 2) the symbol does not exist at all on Earth Bet. Some obscure comic book readers might see the symbol and be reminded of Green Lantern but that's it.

20. LurkingInTheDeceit

Hmm, the Worm wiki says this about earth aleph:

It is much closer to the world of the readers than other Earths, even Earth Bet,[5] but it still has capes. However, they're much weaker than the ones on Earth Bet.[6][7]
    Following Gold Morning, Earth Aleph was sealed off from the rest of the multiverse.[8][3]

Which seems like the lanterns could be recognisable on Earth Aleph then, but it doesn’t say anything about whether they share media or not like fanon memories tell me they do. It doesn’t say anything about a time difference either which should mean if they have that connection earth bet could know about lanterns, what with Zoats chapters taking place in 2011.

Edit: Ninja‘d with the confirmation.

infinityDivided likes this.
  21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

First off, welcome to the discussion. Always good to have a new voice.
    For the custom titles, it'll unlock after a few posts. Go check out other stories, have your say, and it'll pop in no time. For some fun stories, look up 'I'm Blue' by Zarori (Blue Lantern YJ SI) or Ashali's SI drafts thread, he's quite fun and nicely lewd.
    Just watch out for causing Thread Necromancy. Don't go replying to something that hasn't had any posts in a month or more, that's seen as bad form.

Hell's Razer and MadMarx420 like this.
  22. MadMarx420

The public won't find anything remotely concrete when it comes to Paul, the government on the other hand probably will eventually find something, depending on how close they are to Earth Aleph then they'll eventually find the connection.

23. LurkingInTheDeceit

I don’t think you need to post to unlock the ability to make custom titles? I’m pretty sure you only need to post to PM someone, which you’ve now done, so can now do. You should just be able to scroll to the top of the page, tap/click your name at the top to bring down a menu, then tap/click the personal details option. If that doesn’t work, I’d ask a mod/admin for help tbh.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

With Lord Protector, whether or not Thundercats exists on Earth Bet is more significant.

25. Information era

Ok keep in mind, he would probably be categorized as a tinker upwards of 8, meaning dragon, who can scan most of the internet in a couple minutes, would be called in. The super heroes would probably be able to know that LP is based on a yellow lantern.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. MadMarx420

How much access do they have to Earth Aleph? If they have access to that Earths internet then you're spot on, won't take too long to see the similarities. OFC they'll probably think he's an edgy tinker who copied his favourite comic book character. If they don't then I doubt it.

27. Information era

The stronger capes tend to have psychosis of one sort or another. A really strong tinker thinking that he actually has the powers of a comic book super wouldnt be out of the ordinary.

28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

LP is a dude on heavy power armor (he says Armsmaster is using LIGHT power armor and only his mouth is un armored) that can use hard light constructs to make positron beams, shielding and other types of weaponry. He isn't just a random guy with a yellow ring in his hand, heck is fairly likely the ring isn't even visible.

All you people arguing about how recognizable he is going to be need to remember LP is wearing arcano tech power armor that is powered by a yellow lantern at its core and has the blessing of ancient spirits (of evil and the ones that power Mum Rana).

So LP has MAGIC bullshit as part of his defense system (likely refined runic tattoos as well since he got data from Paul on that), advanced psychotech for his armor, and his ring... There is EXTREMELY little that is recognizable enough to the original Green lantern DC comics to make the connection seem even plausible.

29. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Doing it quickly explixitly demonstrates that he is able to attack with sufficient power to overwhelm the defences of Lung, who is known to be able to both highly resilient and quick to heal. Or Alabaster who is similarly known for his regenerative abilities.

I don't believe it's been established that he actually knows any such thing. In fact, one of Zoat's posts suggests that LP doesn't currently know that the end is, in fact, nigh.
    LP is not most Paul's. The chapters on Thundera established he was already using harsher methods, and such methods can be habit-forming. He might have more resources now, but people tend to default to using their old methods, even when a better approach is available.

30. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I think I can figure out why Lord Protector is in such a bad mood with regard to Earth Bet - there's a shortage of catgirls. :)

With regard to ThunderCats, the odds are the 1980s series appeared on Earth Bet, before things were disrupted too much. Ditto Earth Alph, and the 2011 series might appear there, too.

Might those on Earth Bet who track Earth Alph media recognise anything he's wearing, or is April 2011 too early to check advance stuff for a series starting July 2011?

Cuchulin and MadMarx420 like this.