• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Theo Anders and the Black Exaltation[Worm/Exalted][Hiatus]

So got a vote tally program that's actually intuitive. This should be the correct current vote spread. (I missed dasstan, and noticed missing Jack of Olives when I was playing with this program. I've been 'hand counting,' surprised I haven't messed up before this) Everybody say 'thanks @Anasurimbor,' they sent me the link.

Vote Tally : Theo Anders and the Black Exaltation[Worm/Exalted] | Page 12 | Questionable Questing
##### NetTally 1.1.6
[X] Wait until your father calls for you. He will eventually. Getting powers is a big thing.
-[X] In the mean time, there IS the rather large "gym" that looks more like a combination boxing ring and dojo in the basement with the VERY well reinforced walls and ceiling. That room and the dummies and racks of lethal melee weapons in it are where Father and the other parahumans that he invites over practice. Why not do some testing of your own and see what you can do?
No. of Votes: 5
Biigoh -
AZATHOTHoth
Jack of Olives
kinglugia
unsafejakal

[X] Go interject into Max and Aaron's conversation. Ask what he intends for you in the near future.
-[X] Take a quick shower beforehand.
-[X] You are done with passively letting others decide your future for you. If you are going to join the Empire, it will be on your terms. Terms such as an increase in allowance and more autonomy than a regular lieutenant.
No. of Votes: 4
Biofan09
1986ctcel
evildice
SwiftRosenthal

[X] Go interject into Max and Aaron's conversation. Ask what he intends for you in the near future.
No. of Votes: 1
Anasurimbor

[X] Wait until your father calls for you. He will eventually. Getting powers is a big thing.
dasstan

-[X] Take a shower to wash off the dried blood
Lon

Total No. of Voters: 12

--[X] Don't lock the bathroom door in case any of the women want a show

One of the two charms plans had Dream-Slaying Defense. It's not the plan that won. I'm working on a charms wishlist, but the first version of it will have ASAP and Need and Want all at once, with elements only separated by Ability tree.

I know. :(
I'm not saying we shouldn't try to sleep with her, just that having an anti-Shaping Charm first is basic safe sex.

-[X] In the mean time, there IS the rather large "gym" that looks more like a combination boxing ring and dojo in the basement with the VERY well reinforced walls and ceiling. That room and the dummies and racks of lethal melee weapons in it are where Father and the other parahumans that he invites over practice. Why not do some testing of your own and see what you can do?

Because the other plan has too much edgelord.

Because the other plan has too much edgelord.
It's not edgelord, it's growing a spine. Theo was canonically a doormat until he entered the Wards. If his father had even the slightest ounce of caring for his son, he wouldn't have accidentally killed him. Bio's plan is the first step towards paying it back.

-[X] You are done with passively letting others decide your future for you. If you are going to join the Empire, it will be on your terms. Terms such as an increase in allowance and more autonomy than a regular lieutenant.

Changing~ Theo's as mad as hell and he isn't going to take it anymore. Of course, he'll do this with the reservedness he does all things.

Trait Increase Cost Training Times (see note)
Attribute (rating) * 4 (rating) months
Caste/Favored Ability (rating) * 2 - 1 immediate
Out-of-Caste Ability (rating) * 2 (rating) weeks
Essence (to 3) (rating) * 8 immediate
Essence (above 3) (rating) * 8 (rating) months
Virtue (rating) * 3 immediate, does not also increase Willpower after chargen
Willpower (rating) * 2 immediate
New Trait Cost Training Times
Ability 3 3 weeks
Specialty (Max 3 specialties per ability, max 3 dots per specialty) 3 3 weeks
Caste/Favored Charm 8 (Min. Ability) days
Out-of-Caste Charm 10 (Min. Ability + Min. Essence) days
Non-Abyssal Charms (Moonshadows only) 16 (Min. Ability + Min. Essence) weeks
Spell (Occult is Caste/Favored) 8 (spell circle) weeks
Spell (Occult is not Caste/Favored) 10 (spell circle) weeks
Skitzy Ruling: Time spent doing something that could feasibly count as training counts as training. For example: Getting into the illegal fighting rings and punching people all night counts towards MA stuff. School counts towards Lore. Et cetera. If an ability is maxed, like Melee 5, then training or fighting with Melee will count towards Stamina or Strength. Socializing will count towards Charisma or Manipulation. This should streamline the whole training process and we can spend less time worrying about training and more about who we are going to sword/sword;) next.

Also: MoEP: Abyssals states that Abyssals must double their training time outside of the Underworld. Fuck that noise. Fuck it long. Fuck it hard. Obviously a ploy to shoe-horn Abyssal campaigns into playing in and out of the shadowlands/underworld instead of out in Creation sword-punch-sploding people where they least expect it.

Hey look I cleaned up your tables. Also, IIRC time formulas in Creation are as follows:

25 hours = 1 day
6 days = 1 week
4 weeks = 1 month (may instead be 5)
3 months = 1 season
5 seasons = 1 year

Hey look I cleaned up your tables.

Wow, it got jacked the fuck up. I made it look all pretty. Fixing. Thanks for the catch SwiftRosenthal.

I'll take the trade of one hour less a day for one extra day a week and call that good. Though 30 days for a month flies in both words. its 5 weeks a month in Creation. Unless we start talking year long times, everything is the same.

People should vote for plan tanuki because tanuki are fluffy. When has voting for non-fluffy plans resulted in wagging of tails and friendly tanuki allowing voters to touch the fluffy tail as a reward.

Un! :3

People should vote for plan tanuki because tanuki are fluffy. When has voting for non-fluffy plans resulted in wagging of tails and friendly tanuki allowing voters to touch the fluffy tail as a reward.

Un! :3
Tanuki are not fluffy, they're tasty! Tanuki are for eating, not bandwagoning.

Changing~ Theo's as mad as hell and he isn't going to take it anymore. Of course, he'll do this with the reservedness he does all things.
Prefer to treat Theo as a Sith apprentice.

Despite Kaiser's problems, he does know how to run a criminal empire with his suave cunning. So rather than try and fight Kaiser from the get go in some form of machismo and ego. Want to try and learn from Kaiser's strengths while taking note to avoid his problems like his relationship with Kayden, all while plotting to eventually overthrow him.

Keeping track of training time in a quest with small amounts of time passing is really tedious. Instead of manually keeping track of what we are doing training how about we just get an abstract amount of training time to spend like xp as time passes. Possibly with cost reductions for things we have spent a lot of time doing(such as school or fights).

Keeping track of training time in a quest with small amounts of time passing is really tedious. Instead of manually keeping track of what we are doing training how about we just get an abstract amount of training time to spend like xp as time passes. Possibly with cost reductions for things we have spent a lot of time doing(such as school or fights).
I like this idea... training time equals montages. Where we know X amount of time happens in game...

I like this idea... training time equals montages. Where we know X amount of time happens in game...
That is basically how it works in most RPGs anyway as I doubt they will micromanage their time like that. Far more likely they keep themselves too busy to train until a timeskip.

It's not edgelord, it's growing a spine. Theo was canonically a doormat until he entered the Wards. If his father had even the slightest ounce of caring for his son, he wouldn't have accidentally killed him. Bio's plan is the first step towards paying it back.
Yeah uh, all that plan needs is to have Theo start throwing around derpy nicknames and talking about how there's a huge conspiracy against him and we'll be back in 2005 with all the other Indy!whatever fics. On the other hand, all that edge should really help out with the fact that we'll be using a magic sword.

That's not a bad idea, though any level of granularity in the discounts will get quickly erase any advantage of simplicity. You also have to account for the fact that any seriously dedicated Exalt will be training at least 3 things at once. Sometimes more if they can get away with it. Stunting helps here.

What Alchemical Solutions and Conquest Quest, the two long running Worm/Exalted quests, did was to simply keep a list of everything that was being trained and how much it had been trained. The key simplification was that you only spend the XP at the end, so you don't have to worry about tying up XP for a month(or months for the default rates) when raising attributes.

Which system is better really depends on personal preference and the time scale. A smaller scale favors more detailed record keeping, while anything resembling a time skip favors a more abstracted system.

What Alchemical Solutions and Conquest Quest, the two long running Worm/Exalted quests, did was to simply keep a list of everything that was being trained and how much it had been trained. The key simplification was that you only spend the XP at the end, so you don't have to worry about tying up XP for a month(or months for the default rates) when raising attributes.
Note that this system works great with attributes, abilities, Essence, and ability-based charms - because those are fluffed as natural-ish outgrowths of mundane, well, ability.

It's not so intuitive for Infernal charms, because of the whole themes thing and the simple fact that so many are Sorcerous. It's kinda hard to pre-train something that won't actually function until you spend the XP. Mizuki Stone showed another way to fluff it during the training montage arc of his SI (starting here) but that version isn't the easiest to explain.

I'd planned to keep track of training intervals. 1 interval = 1 day of training.

A day of training in the rules is counted as.eight hours. But that's shitty even with doing counts as training. So I am going to be shortening the number of hours. I need to do some mathing. This way there are multiple trading periods in a day if needed or the daily schedule works out like that.

There might be a time skip or two longer than a week way down the line. Otherwise we're looking at day to a week intervals between arcs of snips at most.

TDP gets into the illegal fighting ring? That counts as MA (or if tdp is using his sword it can count as.stamina training since fighting is hard work.) training. School counts as like lore training. Or social combat stats training. TDP fills out paperwork, counts as bueracracy training.

Last edited:
Finally on lunch. Voting closed. If someone could run a tally for me that'd be awesome. Otherwise tally is going to wait until I get home.

Training time is banked. You just need the xp to unlock the dot after its trained, and if you suddenly decide to change training directions the previous training time.isn't lost.

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea, though any level of granularity in the discounts will get quickly erase any advantage of simplicity. You also have to account for the fact that any seriously dedicated Exalt will be training at least 3 things at once. Sometimes more if they can get away with it. Stunting helps here.
Well I didn't intend for there to be any meaningful level of granulatity just something along the lines that Theo has been in a lot of fights and used a sword so melee charms get a 1 week discount on training time. The cost reductions would explicitely only be given for stuff we are doing already for non training purposes as any actual training time would exist in a quantum uncertainty till we spend it on a upgrade.

Alchemical solutions uses as simplified version where anything even tangentially related to the ability counts as training time which has been greatly reduced and simplified and her status as an alchemical means that the only things she can spend her xp on is abilities, specialties and backgrounds which is a lot simpler to track than any other exalts.

Even in conquest quest they simplify the entire process a lot by reducing the amount of time a day needed to be spent training to count as a day. It is also an incredibly meta quest.

Which system is better really depends on personal preference and the time scale. A smaller scale favors more detailed record keeping, while anything resembling a time skip favors a more abstracted system.
A small timescale requires you fudge the system if you want upgrades to come at any reasonable timescale in real life. This is somewhat necessary if the worm plot is being followed as it is too comact to really ever have time to train seriously compared to you xp income.

I suspect the main intent of training time in exalted is to make it so they aren't "leveling up" mid story* and suddenly becoming stronger for no in universe reason and limit power growth to mostly off camera training.

*except for caste/favored abilities which are done pretty much instantly in inverse and are a feature of the exaltation.

Vote Tally : Theo Anders and the Black Exaltation[Worm/Exalted] | Page 12 | Questionable Questing
##### NetTally 1.1.6
No. of Votes: 8
Biigoh -
AZATHOTHoth
Jack of Olives
kinglugia
unsafejakal
mishie
Xicree
Happerry

No. of Votes: 6
Biofan09
1986ctcel
evildice
SwiftRosenthal
dasstan
Anasurimbor

Lon

--[X] Don't lock the bathroom door in case any of the women want a show
Tsotate

Total No. of Voters: 16

Plan Bii wins. Again.

Plan Bii wins. Again.
*Pats on the back* There, there. At least it was a close thing and not a total curb stomp. Here, have some fried Tanuki. I added some South American spices guaranteed to wash out the bitter taste of defeat and hopelessness.
In other news, I was going through Hundredfold Facets of Enlightenment and found some Charms we could use.
Hatred to the Quick
Cost: —; Mins: Melee 5, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Mirror (Piercing Rays of Dawn Meditation)
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Resplendent Shadow Blade
This Charm permanently enhances any weapons the Exalt creates with its prerequisite, increasing the number of points he has to spend to build the weapon by (his Essence) if it is Speed 3, or (his Essence x 2) if the weapon is Speed 5.

Painful Majesty Aura
Cost: —(2m); Mins: Presence 5, Essence 4; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Obvious, War
Prerequisite Charms: Heart-Stopping Mien
It means death merely to approach the wrathful Exalt. When the deathknight uses Heart-Stopping Mien to enhance Dread Lord's Demeanor, he now becomes capable of performing a Miscellaneous action and spending two motes to instantly slay all living extras within (Essence) yards, as an environmental hazard. In mass combat, this Charm is generally ineffective unless the unit the Abyssal is engaged with is small enough that most of it fits within (Exalt's Essence) yards, in which case the Exalt may use it to instantly slay the entire unit.
At Essence 6+, this effect can harm living heroic mortals as well, inflicting three levels of lethal damage. Use of this effect may be part of a flurry, but it may not be used more than once in each flurry. Also at Essence 6+ the deathknight may purchase this Charm again to make its use reflexive. Purchasing the Charm a third time at Essence 8+ increases the damage it does to (half Exalt's Essence) levels and allows it to harm Essence-users.

Tomb-Soul Quietude
Cost: —(8xp); Mins: Socialize 3, Essence 2; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Mirror (Golden Courtier Misdirection), Taint
Prerequisite Charms: Exquisite Etiquette Style
As still as the grave, the Abyssal's manner reveals nothing. While active, the Abyssal's Exquisite Etiquette Style adds the Exalt's Socialize to the difficulty of attempts to read his motivation (Exalted, p. 131). While active, it also becomes impossible to tell that the Exalt is lying, adding (Essence) successes to contesting rolls against perfect truth-detecting Charms.
The Abyssal may strengthen this Charm's effect as a Taint by spending four bonus points or eight experience. This grants him the benefits of this Charm at all times, without activating Exquisite Etiquette Style (though he must still activate that Charm for its basic benefits). In doing this, the deathknight is scoured of emotional attachment, losing all Intimacies and becoming incapable of forming new ones. Natural influence can not overcome this effect, though unnatural influence may as long as it lasts. Other emotional beings find the Exalt disturbing, which imposes a -1 external penalty on all social rolls the deathknight's player makes, except in cases where this might be a boon such as intimidation.

Wretched Vassal Eyes
Cost: 6m; Mins: Socialize 4, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive (Step 9)
Keywords: Avatar (1), Combo-OK, Emotion, Counterattack, Illusion
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Tomb-Soul Quietude
What good are the windows to the soul when one's soul has been hollowed out by dead gods? Staring into the hateful void of a deathknight's soul is not just fruitless, it is unnerving. When someone attempts to read the Abyssal's motivation, makes a Presence-based social attack against him, or otherwise attempts to discern his intentions, Intimacies, Motivation or Virtues, the Exalt may respond with this Charm. If the attack or any rolls associated with the intruder's action garner fewer threshold successes than (Abyssal's Socialize), the intruder is afflicted with an unnatural illusion that they have failed even if they have succeeded. They also suffer an unnatural emotion which inflicts a -2 internal penalty to any of the actions they take for the rest of the scene that are directly contested by the deathknight. These effects may be ignored by spending a point of Willpower to shrug off each one.
Thoughts?

Skitzy would have to approve Glories UCS and Ink Monkeys first. IIRC, HFE is homebrew packaged into PDF format. The Glories books, Dreams of the First Age, Ink Monkeys, and (yes) the Scroll of Errata, are actual canon that he's just not using.

Also, Thousand Correct Actions mentions four unique pairs of Solar/Abyssal charms despite being a Dragonblood-specific splat:

1KCA p 78-79 said:
Wound-Denying Dragon Faith
Cost: 1m; Mins: Integrity 4, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive (Step 2)
Keywords: Combo-OK
Prerequisite Charms: Any Integrity Excellency
The Dragons know they are invulnerable, and so they are. Upon activating Wound-Denying Dragon Faith, the character substitutes his Dodge MDV for his Dodge DV to defend against a physical attack (meaning his maximum DV bonus recalculates from his Willpower and Integrity ratings). All current bonuses and penalties that apply to either his Dodge DV or Dodge MDV apply to the DV generated by this Charm. If the Terrestrial dodges the attack, he appears to have exerted no effort to do so as though the attacker just missed.

Solar and Abyssal Exalted have Mirror counterparts of this Charm named Invincible Ego Shield and Dark Will Triumphant (respectively) that have Cost: 5m, 1wp and Duration: One scene.
1KCA p 81 said:
Tactics Mean Everything
Cost: 1+m; Mins: War 3, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK, Stackable, War
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Any War Excellency
Wise strategy is the cornerstone of victory, supporting the totality of other competencies. If this rock holds, so too will the forces a Terrestrial commands. All activations of this Charm stack, but the Exalt cannot commit more motes among all activations than his (War + 3). While the Charm is active and the Terrestrial commands a complementary unit with Magnitude 3+, he can use his War Excellency to enhance all attack and defense actions he orders that unit to take, regardless of the Ability used. He cannot add more dice to a roll this way than the number of motes committed to all activations of Tactics Mean Everything or (War + appropriate specialty), whichever is less.

Solar and Abyssal Exalted have Charms that are Mirror to one another named Shining General Puissance and Dread Warlord Stratagem (respectively) which have the same trait minimums and prerequisites as Tactics Mean Everything. These Charms are permanent, allowing use of War Excellencies to enhance attack and defense actions as though they were Excellencies for the appropriate Ability while commanding a Magnitude 3+ unit.
1KCA p 88-89 said:
Tail Follows Head
Cost: 1m; Mins: Athletics 3, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK, Purity 3, Obvious, War
Duration: One action
Prerequisite Charms: Any Athletics Excellency
She who follows the Chosen of the Dragons sometimes feels the sparks of their Exalted might. This Charm may not be activated more times per scene than the Terrestrial's (Essence +1). While active, all Athletics Charms the character knows gain the Leader keyword unless the Storyteller deems that their effects solely relate to qualities a complementary unit lacks. In this moment of glory, a unit can achieve the impossible and do things like run up walls or even fly.

Solar and Abyssal Exalted have counterpart Charms named Flying Faith Legion and Nowhere Is Safe, respectively. These Charms have a cost of three motes, duration of one scene, require Essence 4 and eschew the Purity keyword. The Solar version requires that every member of the unit
have a positive Intimacy toward the leader, while its Mirror requires that all members be creatures of death.
1KCA p 104-105 said:
Storm-Outrunning Technique:
This Charm can enhance any Sail vehicle, doubling the speed of its propulsion. Vehicles lacking propulsion receive no benefit. (A massive caravan wagon without teams of yeddim to pull it is as helpless as a becalmed ship.)

Solar and Abyssal counterparts of this Charm exist named Fleet-Outrunning Flagship and Wave-Slicing Keel Method, both of which have Indefinite duration, require Any Sail Excellency as a prerequisite and do not require any extra Sail rolls to traverse dangerous waters.

@Skitzy could you add a list of approved splats to the Quest Rules tab? Finding the first list you posted is going to become increasingly difficult as the quest continues.

Skitzy would have to approve Glories UCS and Ink Monkeys first. IIRC, HFE is homebrew packaged into PDF format. The Glories books, Dreams of the First Age, Ink Monkeys, and (yes) the Scroll of Errata, are actual canon that he's just not using.
Ah, alright. I knew we weren't using Errata, but I thought that when it came to home brew it was approved/denied on a case by case basis.

Not that those Charms are bad, but we have things we need much sooner (which is good, since there's obviously no way we're getting the Essence 4 for Painful Majesty Aura anytime soon.) We also have basically no defenses, and parahuman combat is every bit as much rocket tag as Exalted combat. Almost all of the defensive Charms that would be huge for both quality of life and survivability are non-Caste and non-Favored. Melee has some decent defenses, but we haven't even started down the relevant tree (Elegant Flowing Deflection -> Vengeful Riposte -> Death-Deflecting Technique). Are there any surprise negators easily available to us?

I don't want to seem overly paranoid about being squishy, but the thing about being a starting Abyssal is that we just died. Paranoia is pretty justified in that case. Also, we're a villain, and villain-on-villain combat doesn't really follow the niceties that heroes do. Giant dragons and infinite exploding teleporters explicitly hate our family.

Perfect defense against social attacks, because everyone needs Sagacious Reading of Intent:
Cost: 3m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
(Step 2)
Keywords:Combo-OK, Mirror (Sagacious Reading of Intent;
Exalted, p. 233), Social
Prerequisite Charms: None
Constantly surrounded by the overwrought melodramas of
the restless dead and jaded by the lies within lies of their Deathlord masters, Abyssals become exceedingly difficult to trick.

Obviously what counts as Shaping here in the Wormverse is a GM call (darn parahuman powers and their lack of Keywords), but the Abyssal version of IPP is always nice for not being Badtouched to death.
Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Integrity 1, Essence 1;
Type: Reflexive (Step 2)
Keywords: Combo-OK, Mirror (Integrity-Protecting Prana;
Exalted, p. 199)
Duration: One day
Prerequisite Charms: None
Having passed from the dynamism of life into the stasis between life and death, Abyssals are highly resistant to
Shaping effects.

If for some reason we're not taking Undying Stagnation Defense, Lore has an active AoE version, Dream-Slaying Defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back