1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Paragon is the only version that can see other emotions aside form the one he is enlightened to?

You said that he can see all the emotions at whatever level he chooses to.

You also said that you were considering making it so that LP can only see the other emotions at their surface level.

I guess you chose to make it so that paragon is the only enlightened one that can see other emotions, at any level?

And please answer this with a simple yes or no.

If it's a no then can other enlightened Lanterns at least see emotions on their surface level, because LP could have just been thinking he doesn't have empathy as powerful as paragons, that is being able to see beyond the surface level?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. TheDudeMan400

TheDudeMan400 Getting out there.

Not too deeply entrenched in the Worm fandom so forgive my ignorance but are the Goblins/fae actually sapient creatures and not just projections?

KenNM likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nilbog is a biomancer, so they're biologically altered beings.

Probably sapient to some degree at least.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hoo boy. No wonder people didn't like Nilbog. Dude made stuff that leapt straight into the uncanny valley... Not to mention the lack of concern for human life...

Seriously, how disturbed is Nilbog? Everything I've heard says 'Very.' But is it the man or the shard causing it?

He knew to leave it to the people who knew what they doing. His part in it was simply keeping them safe.

Man, Cauldron and the PRT must be going nuts trying to work out his threat ratings... I suspect anything he qualifies for just gets 'Threat: YES.'

Seriously, this feels like some twisted Alice in Wonderland stuff. Like a children's book seen through a dark lens of madness...

And that's why they leave him alone. He's content here. Poke him, and he'd send them out into the countryside...

Oh god, how is a freakish monstrosity so damn cute?x3

So you might say, he doesn't have a brain. Certainly no head for landscaping.

Wise critter. Even if Lord Protector isn't a fae, he can still do nasty things to you, though.

Oh, they're all mad there, yes indeed. As mad as their king...

He may be able to speak, but he's still got the brains of a chipmunk.

Probably picked because it sounds funny and cute. If not for shard bullshit, this might have been a nice place...

Note that's not a denial. Truly, terrific. Lord Protector's going to get on like a house on fire. Complete with the screaming and the burning and the exploding...

Never mind the D&D or Pathfinder counterparts. The latter were closer to the mad little fae image, and if played well, live up to it.

A raggedy king, for a raggedy kingdom...

Let's hope he's in a good mood, more Wizard than Nome King...

Eh, it's a silly thing. Whoever named him must have been a big geek.

What could he even want here, anyway? What point is there to talking to Nilbog?

Hoo boy, it's going to be one of those conversations...

Democracy, huh? Wonder how Lion-O's taking that...

Huh, I'd give him a Mover 4 rating, for that ability to jump to conclusions. :D

Still trying to make this world a better place? or at least a less chaotic one?

Impressive to ping even his senses. You can at least tell he cares for his creations...

How handy of him.

Too bad he's lit up like a lighthouse to Lord Protector's sight (beyond sight?:p)

Assuming the planet is still in one piece in a year's time. We still haven't seen any of the fallout of his actions yet...

Boy, I bet lord Protector's been busy. I shudder to imagine the meltdown PHO is having by now. Never mind what Cauldron and the PRT are thinking of his behaviour. I still wouldn't want to see an entire episode of this, it'd start too many arguments, I think...

Were I to claim the title of king I would be lying...

5. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, his powers were designed as a "just in case" by the Entities for if they accidentally wiped out humanity before the cycle was over. If that happened Nibog's creations would have spread out and become the new dominant species, taking over humanity's niche. For this to be useful to the Entities they have to be intelligent and emotionally complex enough to trigger, becoming hosts for shards themselves.

6. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hope we'll get to see how Marvel!Paul is doing. Given how much progress one of his counterparts has likely made with Azula in the A:TLA world, I wonder how he might handle the complex issue of David Charles Haller's particular psychosis.

The likes of Kevin MacTaggert, (AKA, "Proteus") just needs a body strong and durable enough to stabilize his being, (and I'm reasonably sure Marvel!Paul could construct such a biological vessel for Kevin to inhabit), but in regards to "Legion", besides finding a means to stabilize David's own super-genetics, perhaps he could find ways for his multiple personalities to find common and constructive interests to pursue, and work from there?

Cuchulin, Darko and Ngamer11 like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe both.

Zoat managed to make Princess, an alien spider thing, be cute and adorable.

This one seems to be one of the more magically inclined ones, the other more prominent ones being Raul, Sybarite, Angel, so there is a chance he can actually do something magical if someone gives him their name.

Just like the Emperor of Mankind, a corpse for a dead kingdom.

Good question.

he's most likely happy that his people are safe.

For David, maybe some alterations are in order.

I'd also like to see what the MCU one is doing.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    As I understand it, he picked it himself.
    Thank you, corrected.

9. ChiChi

ChiChi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder how hard it'd be to get index's of the different versions of the main character I get the feeling I missed some of the thundera posts

10. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Actually, he can't send them out. After Nilbog murdered the town the government built a big wall and staffed it with a lot of men with guns to kill anything that got close.

They leave him alone because they asked the precogs if they could kill him and get all of his little doomsday triggers and the answer has consistently been "Fuck no, leave that evil murderous bastard to starve".

11. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

…he is unwilling to even consider working with the Protectorate but will negotiate with genocidal mass murdering lunatics.

My respect for the Lord Protector could not be less.

A Power Ring solves such problems.

12. Mr Zoat

100% literacy
    100% numeracy
    0% crime
    0% drug use
    0% unemployment
    100% approval rating

Nilborg for President.

13. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Nilbog

Mr Zoat and Darko like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Him too.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

100% insanity

So Paragon is the only version that can see other emotions aside form the one he is enlightened to?

You said that he can see all the emotions at whatever level he chooses to

And the other two, white and black.

You also said that you were considering making it so that LP can only see the other emotions at their surface level.

So can Lord Protector just view the other eight emotions at the surface level, or is he incapable of viewing them at all, because when he said he doesn't have paragons empathy he could have meant he doesn't have as powerful a version as his, or one that can see the other emotions on a deeper level?

And please answer this question in a simple manner, and not just give some kind of run around.

KenNM, Bramble Thorn and Xmaster3000 like this.
  16. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

That link on Nilbog put me on a wiki crawl because I got curious about what the fuck has been happening in the Worm sequel . . . And wow, it really went to fucking shit, didn't it?

I especially hate the nonsense with the Titans.

Oh well . . . I have to admit that I'm more than a little surprised the Lord Protector was even willing to talk to Nilbog given he's clearly done some manner of research on him and should know that he created his "kingdom" by exterminating every last man, woman, and child within its boundaries when first establishing it.

He committed an act of localized genocide to create living space for his bio-engineered subjects. Would have thought this would be one of the areas where the Lord Protector goes scorched earth.

17. Mr Zoat

I can't answer the question because I haven't decided, and I'm not going to until there's a story reason for me to do so.

18. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This is a case where, to use Pterry's turn of phrase, the words have twisted just like a snake: there is, by definition, no such thing as "localized genocide". Either you killed all of the group (genocide) or you did not (not genocide); as I don't think there were any unique-to-Ellisburg cultural or racial groups of humans, then no genocide occured. But, like 'decimation', the word has been mis-used to the point it's nearly lost all meaning...

And arguably you can't even apply 'mass murder' to the situation. The vast majority of Ellisburgians are still alive. Just...no longer human. That you can pin on Nilbog, certainly - "transformation most foul"? - and arguably mass Mastering, since as far as can be told the transformed former-humans are happy in their new states when by rights they should be constantly screaming.

When you have someone who's utterly despicable, and who has unarguable acts of despicableness to prove it, over-egging the pudding by tacking on things that aren't factual is (as the very least applicable phrase) unnecessary.

(Also, in a case of irony, given Nilbog's creations live solely within the walls of Ellisburg, the Lord Protector 'going scorched earth' would be genocide.)

Vorian, Wheenesss, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Mass murder can be applied, since he essentially reduced their bodies to slurry, which tends to be a death sentence, before converting their biomass to make new creatures.

Plus there were most likely people in the town that were killed trying to resist his monsters.

If they keep their minds after that then they honestly could be screaming inside their heads while the little personalities that Nilbog made puppeteer their bodies.

It's still weird that LP would help Nilbog, given his crimes and atrocities, as well as letting him stay in power, when he's clearly insane and given the opportunity would most likely try to make more of the world into his vision of insanity.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul has met Desire and Dream. If he had to meet another Endless, I would prefer Death or Destruction. For Death, she could spend her one day a year as a mortal hanging out with Paul. Paul having to explain that the goth girl he is on a date with is Death would be fun. For Destruction, I can imagine Paul just somehow running into him. Paul would ask about him, as Hinon said he disappeared. After explaining that he wants to create instead of destroy, Paul could relate, as Paul also prefers creating to help make the world a better place than destroying to keep the world safe, ie. Righteous Face Punching.

Since Paul will be immortal, I wouldn't be surprised if he will eventually meet all of the members of the Endless.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe help Destruction find some new way of doing things.

Or hell, even potentially getting him to change completely like how Delirium changed, but with less insanity.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  22. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Nilbog doesn't transform people. Nilbog breaks them down into raw materials and uses said materials to create creatures.

And even if you want to argue semantics with the use of the term genocide, he still doesn't really seem like the kind of person that the Lord Protector would seek friendly relations with.

Not unless LP has gotten significantly more villainous.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It is weird that he's helping him.

While he's not on the same level of evil Tangseid, since he allows free will among his subjects and those who work closely to him and doesn't abuse his subject while giving himself some half assed justification and rationalization on why what he's doing isn't evil, maybe having the Ancient Spirits of Evil's blessing, or whatever it is that allowed him to call upon their power when fighting Krona, did something to him that made some of his decisions seem...off.

The Ophidian wasn't actually a malicious entity so much as one that was purely greedy and having difficulties in understanding mortals, so that could be a reason why Paul didn't become actively evil, but the Spirits are actively malicious and could have altered the way LP thinks.

We know Paul had his mindset altered after his enlightenment and bonding with the Ophidian, to the point where some of his decisions don't make much sense, so it is possible that LP was also altered after his enlightenment and whatever the Spirits of Evil did to him.

The Yellow Rings also do tend to encourage sociopathic mindsets in their wielders.

24. LostPath

LostPath Getting out there.

All Pauls seem to cut the bad guys a lot of slack whilst giving the heroes very little. Low tolerance for perceived hypocrisy I suppose.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The various versions do seem to have a habit of taking the villains side and considering their actions to be sympathetic more often than they do the good guys.

Well the only one I don't think we've seen cut the bad guys any slack would have to be Ringman, the one in the Stargirl universe.

And possibly Common Sense, depending on what he's been doing.

W40K may also count, because I don't think there's anything or anyone that we would consider a good guy in that insane crapsack of a universe, well maybe aside from Isha.

On a side note, anyone surprised that Vaermina hasn't commented on this chapter yet?

This seems like something they'd be all over, given LP's rather weird actions, which could prove their belief that this version is either evil or incompetent, and quite honestly I think a lot of people here would agree at least partially with them, seeing as his actions really don't make sense this time.

WereDragon, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So...

I assume he somehow murdered both Cauldron and the Protectorate at this point? Because that's the only way they wouldn't be fighting with everything they have to keep him out of the Nilbog quarantine zone.

KenNM likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he could have just teleported into the zone, instead of just walking in there by foot.

Jaron and Ardy like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Cauldron would have stopped him.

Even if it took portaling a bunch of Bakuda's timestop bombs onto the place.

Remember, they literally have the best precogs in existence working for them, the ability to remotely view anything, and the ability to portal anything anywhere.

KenNM likes this.
  29. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

I've been wondering, is Earth Bet/Worm just the version Earth of the Universe that Lord Protector finds himself in? Or did he have to transfer dimensions?

KenNM and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

The question is, how long ago does a mass killing have to happen before it's purely historical? A few episodes ago we had a tribe in Brazil who considered the Brazilian government to be Portuguese collaborators despite the killing happening centuries ago. Here, we have Lord Protector talking to the inhabitants of a town whose previous inhabitants they killed a few years ago. Lord Protector himself is the ruler of both cats and lizards who have killed the others' people, military and civilian. Obviously we don't draw the line at any point within the last twenty years, but other than that, when?