1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Here's a real question.

Why is he still using the shit tier power armor he kludged together using copied human tech instead of going to someone like that Qwadrian Armorer and having them build something super high tech for him?

transhumansage and Tyrantviewer like this.
  2. Artemisnemo

Artemisnemo Getting sticky.

I would definitely believe that the above description would accurately apply to this suit. Did we ever get a color, I always assumed red with orange highlights for some reason?

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's mostly just orange in color, with maybe se black or grey thrown in.

4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It has been described by OL himself using terms normally associated with knightly armor. Gauntlets, Vambraces and Cuirass for example are words thrown around in the story so far. Likely it's got some passing resemblance to medieval armors at least enough to describe the segments used.

[​IMG]

5. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I dig it. Although I don't think his legs would be as bulky, he doesn't seem to have anything special on them except possible propulsion, nor would he have a jetpack since (I think) he has redundant kinetic belt systems for flying. Now I'm imagining that the red "eye" in the dome moves around like Mad-Eye Moody is eye, is orange (obviously) and has the Orange Light symbol). Besides, I think at some point or on a previous version of his power armor he described it as "man sized attack craft" or something like that, so that's practically how I would describe a miniature Mobile Suit.

I think that's more for ease of identification than anything else. None of the parts in the image have enough size for even housing the mechanical and hydraulic muscles that the power armor has.

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Finally found a decent render of the Starcraft suit

[​IMG]

7. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

5th May
    03:11 GMT -5

Aurakos approaches me slowly, sword partially extended. She's got better reach than me, because my blade is a backup weapon at most and certainly wasn't designed for duelling.

"Canis, is there any way we can swap?"

"Why?"

"Because you're tr-"

A small lunge which turns into a feint as I go to parry, then a stab aimed at my gauntlet which I counter with a power stomp which sends me into the air and lets me parry while sideways.

"-trained for this. I'm artlessly-"

Aurakos punches with her left hand, hitting me in the cuirass and sending me tumbling backwards.

"-flailing."

Things slow again as I correct my fall. My armour's movement calculation systems are clearly working; I'd never be this mobile without it. The question is: what do I do? Duelling the undead won't result in them tiring first. The only thing I can think of is taking a hit to give myself a clear strike at her forehead, but given that that's a New God sword and the fact that she knows what she's doing with it I can't guarantee that she won't simply use the opportunity to kill me. And while enough of her face is on display that I can hit the witch-sign if I get the right angle, there's a pretty good chance that I won't get that angle. And then it will simply be a matter of slashing into me and I'll die of blood loss.

"Ah… That.. is true. But I don't think that I can alter her use of her God Name. She is a lot older than me."

"What happens if I toss my swords away?"

"I imagine that she would-"

Aurakos stabs, letting me parry so that I can't stop her punching me in the faceplate. No real damage, but the sensors built into my armour aren't designed to take sustained punishment.

"-probably stab you."

"With a sword that-"

Okay, my kinetic barrier isn't working. How about plasma shield?

"-isn't equal?"

I hear the signature faint hum of my plasma barrier as it actually responds to my activation instruction. I.. suppose that's working because it's a pure toughness boost, not a negation of a particular type of attack that she can't mirror.

"Throwing weapons away isn't the same-"

Another weapon lunge, another parry, but this time when she tries to punch me I reinforce the plasma barrier and counter, forcefully knocking her empty left hand away and giving me an openi-. No, damn it! Missed the damn witch-sign and just poked her in the cheek!

"-as never having had them. That-"

Grab her sword forearm, undeploy right blade, deploy left and it works, slash-

"-doesn't make sense."

She turns her head and I scour a line along the side of her helmet, while she twists her arm and stabs weakly at my right shoulder just about going through the plasma shield and poking a hole in the armour without hitting anything significant.

Undeploy both blades.

"Okay, what counts-"

Push off and slam us both against the far wall, because while super strength fights are usually resolved by grapples neither of us are dropping our blades, she's undead and I'm in full armour. Choke holds are right out, she doesn't feel pain and if Canis is anything to go by she'll regenerate chip damage faster than I can inflict it.

"-as armed?"

I strain my legs to keep her pinned against the wall, letting my armour and plasma shield soak the punches and knee strikes she uses to try and force me back into sword range. I reciprocate with my right fist and she grabs it and pushes it aside so that I punch the wall behind her.

"If she has it in her possession-"

Good news is that she's not strong enough to simply squeeze through my armour. And she can't do what Printwhistle did and set us both on fire. And she can't fly, so she can't simply-.

She tries lifting me off my feet, using the wall behind her as an anchor. Except that doesn't work because I can just adjust my posture, threatening to twist her into a pose that would allow me to grapple her before she abandons the effort.

"-then she is armed-"

I stamp on her left foot with my right, to no apparent effect. Grundies apparently can't exactly feel pain in the same way that living creatures do, but the idea that being injured is bad is so ground into human psychology that it remains there even after death.

"-with it."

"If I tell you-"

Aurakos opens her mouth and tries biting my armour, and I hear a hideous noise as super strong teeth scrape across my outer plating.

"-where in my body my-"

I take a firm grip on her and the wall, then headbutt her in the forehead. I don't do any damage but I do cause her head to jerk back slightly.

"-ring is, how-"

I try to repeat the action, but she angles her helmet and pushes against my grip, threatening to throw me back if I persist.

"-quickly could you cut it out of me?"

I punch her with my right gauntlet fist, trusting my left to keep her sword out of the way and my armour to hold against-. Against her own fist.

"Not so quickly that-"

Her neck is somewhat exposed, but she doesn't need to breathe!

"-she could not slay you."

Hellwraith, go and find a Spine Rider, then come back and try using it to control her.

As you wish, Master.

The wraith emerges from the ring in my skull and flies up through the stone into the chamber above. At least that confirms that the rings are functioning.

"She's using the Source, right? What's-"

She-. Aaaaargh! She drops her sword point-down on my left boot, and all my plasma shield can do is turn it aside slightly before it slides into my foot. In armour I'm not really putting much weight on my organic foot, but the pain and blood loss are noticeable and I wouldn't be able to use the armour's purple healing ray until the sword is out.

"-the 'balance' for the Source?"

Aurakos then uses her now-empty hand to get a better grip on me in order to hurl me away. But disarming yourself counts as armed.

"Darkseid? The Anti-Life? The.. Great Darkness?"

I deploy my right gauntlet's blade and try to thrust it into her forehead, and she's forced to use all of her concentration to keep it off.

"How about the Ophidian?"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  8. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Your color tags are showing.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There isn't one.

The Source is way way way out the Ophidian's league.

10. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Ah yeah OL, whip out that snake!

11. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

No way that ends poorly.

12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

True. But Paul is way more closely connected to Ophidian than most New Gods are to the Source. It's not like New Gods can use the entirety of the Source as their power.

13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't see how the Ophidian would balance the Source, since she's a component/offshoot of the White Light of Life, which should be pretty Source-aligned (even discounting things like the White Light being the Life Equation, which I believe is New 52 or something, but I'm not fully sure).

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe add 'as armed'

maybe 'into human, instead of just 'in to'

Hell's Razer, Mr Zoat, Fellow and 2 others like this.
  15. BlueMangoAdea

Paul's not trying to balance Ophidian against the entirety of the Source. He's balancing the Zombie New God's use of the Source with his use of Ophidian.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I mean... The worst that can happen is the Ophidian ends up getting killed...

Which is why it's such a bad idea to actually host the Entities in the first place.

Otto von Saurion and ArKFallen like this.
  17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And spray her all over with your orange... power.

18. firefrog600

firefrog600 Well worn.

that kills off all the avarice in the universe right so people would be incapable of want of any kind?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  19. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

He probably won't be able to make use of her power to a significant degree even if he summons her. But summoning her should count as 'fair'. And once she's there, she will want to help Her Agent, but be prevented from doing so by New God cheat codes, which are powered by a disembodied, probably-not-intelligent connection to the Source. In a head to head fight between the (probably stupid, definitely not aggressive) connection to the Source, and a motivated Ophidian, I think Best Snek has a decent chance to eat the tasty, tasty magic and render the fight's rules unenforced.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, Paul could always claim a god name real quick.

Also, wwouldn't the emotional colours of all things be considered part of the Source?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think he's trying to fully balance the Source here but just use some of the Ophidians power to fight the power Aurakos has.

She's calling upon a higher power to help her in this fight, so it would make sense for OL to do the same, and the fight is supposed to be fair.

Canis's suggestions were also fairly valid.

If I remember correctly Darkseid once corrupted the Source Wall after dying, so both he and the AL Equation may be able to do something.

The Great Darkness is basically the Anti God and was thought to be ale to destroy everything.

Also there may be other people and beings out there who can do it.

In Vertigo and Lucifer comics it was mentioned a couple of times that God may not have been the first thing to come into existence and that there were others before him, and some of them may be as powerful as him.

The Source is kinda like God, even if not the Abrahamic version of God, so maybe that is something that can work.

Or avarice still exists in the universe, but just doesn't have an embodiment anymore.

Or hell, maybe Paul becomes the next embodiment of avarice if the Ophidian dies.

He already has a piece of her for his soul, so maybe if she dies he gets the rest.

There's this fic called Absolute Power Sucks Absolutely on SB.

In it the protagonist takes away Zeus's power and then Diana mercy kills him, but his power is then sent to Captain Marvel by accident due to him having some of it in his powers already.

22. BlueMangoAdea

Unless the New God that Paul is facing has a weapon that can hurt Emotional Entities, I don't see how Ophidian would get killed from Paul drawing her power.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think that's how it works, as getting a god name may be much more difficult than just deciding on the spot to do it and then getting one a few seconds later.

Paul also may not be able to do that, since while he has been compared to a New God before, he probably doesn't have the full range of their abilities.

I also don't see how getting a god name would help him now, the challenge has already been given and it may not be possible to get out of it until the fight is finished.

OrigamiPhoenix and Prince Charon like this.
  24. firefrog600

firefrog600 Well worn.

I mean I think I remember all life dies if the life entity dies so its probably that avarice ends if the ophidian dies.

if they were using all of the source then they could eat the moon like it was cheese and turn the universe into more cheese. Its not exactly the same I would say the ophidian is more powerful than the average new god or any new god that isn't powered by the life or anti life equation. But, less powerful than the source by a very wide margin. So it should be fine maybe.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

According to the comics, once you kill an Entity their color light stops working, but people still feel the emotion because the Entities aren't the source of the emotion, and eventually a new entity is spawned from that.

When an Entity takes a host it becomes vulnerable to mundane weaponry.

That's one of the hard rules of Entities, and why it's such a bad idea to actually channel them.

Cuchulin and firefrog600 like this.
  26. BlueMangoAdea

[​IMG]
    That sounds blatantly false. Do you have a source for your claim?

Ardy, Fellow, Hell's Razer and 4 others like this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Unfortunately, that counts as even by her standard, because you have a blade. The X-Ionised edge and your armour balance it out. I wonder: If he ditches the armour, would she be weakened?

No substitutions allowed, OL. She's also a lot more metaphorically weighty than he is, being the daughter of a powerful Hero, while he's just a Lieutenant. And in her narrative, a villain's lieutenant at that.

And her power has probably decided you're a Rogue. What with the tumbling and daggers. The armour is atypical, but hey, the Source don't give a shit.

Interesting that she's not going for an instant kill, even when she gets an opening. The punch could have been hard enough to punch through the plating, but it only pushed him back. Odd...

And your blades aren't designed to be capable of, say, decapitation? Or going for the spine?

That might count as a surrender, but she's not operating under the same rules of engagement. She has no onus to take you alive...

Yeah, she can easily outlast you, dismantling your armour one piece at a time. This is really weighted against your normal methods...

Ah, the old "If I'm on fire, they can't grab me!" play. And her power is probably treating your armour as a point in your favour.

It's usually a sign of surrender, or an indication you want to fight with bare hands... In either case, she's stronger.

Then again, does she know there's a person there? Or is she seeing an automaton of strange design, likely an enemy?

Well, at least you can switch things up. Bet she'd swap hands to counter.

Bare hands it is, I see. Or will it simply count you as holding it aside while you do something else...

So, how effective would joint dislocations be? Sure, she can't feel pain, but knocking a joint out of its' natural connection will still hamper its functionality.

Problem of the armour. As agile as it is, it's still bigger and heavier than she is. And momentum is not your friend in this fight.

Hmm... Your armour isn't designed to be removed without a ring, is it? No ditching it to even the odds, then. And no time to try, because the second you let go of her to unclip something, her fist will be pounding on your head.

Unfortunately, Gods don't have quite the same reflexes as humans. I expect she's aware of the damage, but knows she can tank it, so she just ignores it...

Ow, she fights dirty, huh? Bet that'll leave an interesting mark to show off later.

And maybe annoy her. I don't think you want her more angry, do you?

At least she can't try and pull anything vital off.

...Cut it out of you? Man, talk about going to extremes. o_O Also, when do you think you're going to have a chance with her constantly attacking?

Like I said, go for the decapitation. You could probably sew her head back on later, once you scrape the control sigil out... If you wanted her kind-of-alive.

Ah, classic rogue method: If you can't win, cheat. I fully expect her to swat the Spine Rider the second it comes within reach, though...

You'd have a couple of painful aches in your head and chest if they weren't, OL...

Ow, the agony of de feet. I think she's starting to get annoyed that you're trying to talk to someone instead of battling her properly...

Because technically, she can break away from you, and grab the blade again. Basic storytelling logic, which is what this fight is running on.

Oh, no. Bad idea. Don't forget, OL, Melmoth is probably watching all of this. Do you want him getting anywhere near best snake?

While I suspect some men would love to be in OL's position right now, this fight is getting tougher. The narrative her Godspeech is forcing kind of prevents any real 'cheating' OL could try. The problem is, OL isn't thinking narratively yet. And Canis can't really explain that, he's just as caught up in the narrative...

Double space here.
    ...usually resolved by grapples neither of us...

28. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

Chojin Patriarch has she been using her Godspeeh to talk, in either this chapter or before, becuase i have yet to figure out how to make it visible

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe she can exert just a tiny bit of control over herself and is using it to fight Melmoths influence.

She may have armor around her neck to protect her and she certainly has it on her back.

Maybe Canis can move really really fast.

I doubt he can do much against her, aside from becoming her new pet of course.

Don't think there's any kind of 'narrative' here, but just some weird magical effect that makes them equals.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep she has.

Don't know how to make it visible though, sorry.