1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

If there's any invisible text, I usually note it at the end of my posts.
    If you can use userscripts on your browser (assuming it's not a phone,) there's one to make transparent text visible on Xenforo forums (here, SpaceBattles and Sufficient Velocity, mainly.) This is where I usually install it from, on userstyles.org.
    It'll make invisitext show up as black bars that turn into green text when moused over.

If you know where it is in the reply box, highlight and turn it a different colour with the 'text colour' button ('Font' block of options, first 'A' icon, on my browser.) Also useful for highlighting corrections!
    I usually try to make it match the character, so medium grey for Grayven. :p

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Lights Out, the Entities nearly got turned into giblets by Relic when they possessed Kyle.

It doesn't take much magical knowledge to bind Entities you know...

ArKFallen likes this.
  3. frommerman

frommerman Getting out there.

OL can't win a swordfight with a minor metaphysical entity, so instead he's trying to win a godfight with a major metaphysical entity.

Might actually work too. Aurakles is using the Source, so OL should be able to use the diety he's most strongly connected to as well. Except Aurakles only has access to a tiny fraction of the Source, and the Ophidian will willingly launch all of herself into battle for Paul. Defeat in detail, for gods.

4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Ha! Natural 1s are always hilarious :D

"Well... having arms to begin with. Maybe you should cut her arms off?"

... He missed a perfect opportunity to name something a Ringwraith. For shame~

It's an iron sword. How did it cut through his power armor clad boot? He should get a refund on this thing!

Of course, you only thought of that mid-duel to death. It's not like deploying it immediately after realising you're in a grey goo scenario would've been useful or anything. You had to wait for the last possible moment to even consider it.

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Summoning the Ophidian isn't something you do without a second thought. She is his last resort, and should be treated as such.

6. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

So Ophidian is fair play! Sorta.

Ardy likes this.
  7. Agent Orange

So... losing a duel with a draugr warrants it but an arcane grey goo scenario doesn't?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No the sword is made up of some kind of New God material, not iron, so it should be capable of cutting through power armor.

He may have thought there was some other way to beat the goo before calling on the Ophidian, but for this fight he doesn't have much choice.

Oh and I decided to see what Vaermina has been saying and just discovered it hasn't really changed.

Relic is from the n52.

Zoat dislikes the n52.

Zoat is unlikely to use a lot of elements from the n52.

Zoat is unlikely to use anything Relic did.

You've probably decided to ignore this as you've done a lot of other things.

Provide evidence that the Ophidian can be bound with magic.

Paul has a connection to the Ophidian and can just fight off whatever Melmoth tries to do.

If you disagree with this then provide a citation that Melmoth can do anything to the Ophidian, or anything on its power level.

If you can't do this then don't bother to reply.

If you do try to provide some evidence, which will most likely be worthless, then I may try to see what you posted.

If the citation you provide is worthless then I won't try to even see what you post anymore, it will just be a pain to read what you write.

Oh and please provide evidence that even if magic can harm Entities that Zoat would use that in this episode or anywhere in his story.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Summoning the Ophidian isn't something you should do period.

There's good reason that's an option only the crazies or truly desperate go for in the wider DC universe.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

If I correct it before you post then it doesn't count.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's right. The act of grinding has pressed it in.
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Dude.

You're banging your head into a brick wall.

Just stick to ignoring him like everyone else.

Wetbananas, Cuchulin, Fellow and 11 others like this.
  12. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Quick! Call Constantine and see if Lucy owes him any favors. He's well out of the Sources league.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

That only means he can use the Ophidian, plus whatever else power source he can get his hands on.

14. Mordart

Mordart Making the rounds.

Question: If this really is in the future, is the Ophidian even still alive? That seems a really good question to ask, lest OL try to summon it and get the entirety of the Avarice spectrum from this point in time shoved through him. Or something else, maybe just a Ringtone or automated message left behind. Of course it would be just like this story to actually try summoning the Ophidian and instead getting his future self too...

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, I can see it now:

"What."
    "Oh, I was wondering when this would happen."
    "
    What."
    "Honestly, this wasn't that hard a problem to solve, you know..."
    "
    What."
    "Here, let me take care of this, we need a little chat." <Zot!>
    "
    What..."
    "Okay, you can stop the Tenth Doctor routine now..."

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm now imagining Paul being the future Ophidian for some reason.

Well that or the Ophidian has become much more developed in the speaking department.

17. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Mr Zoat, do you feel inclined to do a post explaining how the New Gods work in this setting, for the wiki? If not Zoat, then is someone else willing? I'm not certain enough that I understand what's going on to do it myself.

20. Agent Orange

Well hisss you too. I'd like to see you speak with no vocal cords or lipsss.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  21. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

thanks for that, i had never thought to check out the wiki. perusing it made me wonder though (and forgive me if i'm misunderstanding things):

in it, Cornwall Boy is stated as being a thaumovore, and that has been shown to be a working ability in the story previously. shouldn't he have been included on this mission? hypothetically, how potent is his 'thaumovore' ability? potent enough to more or less suck the life out of 99% of the problems that OL has enountered on this mission so far? due to their heavy reliance on magic, shouldn't Cornwall Boy have been included on anything Sheeda-related?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The people that went on this mission were the ones that could afford to potentially be gone for months due to the fact that months could pass on Earth before they get back, even if they just spend a few days on Witch World.

Cornwall still goes to school and so he may not have been able to take that much time off.

As for the magic side of things they have Dr Mist, a powerful archmage that has been using magic for 11.000 years, so in terms of magic assistance they're good.

He might even be able to use something similar to Cornwall and absorb another persons magic.

When they went on this mission they were just doing it to gather info on the Sheeda so they can prepare for them.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe add something like 'despite whatever he does to him'

Maybe make it 'many theoretically'

Maybe 'is never'

24. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Is it bad that I imagine Graven sitting on a couch eating popcorn and yelling at the TV while he sees Paul struggle?

25. Agent Orange

Well... It's not impossible he's doing just that.

Last time we saw Grayven he was falling into Sheeda hot tub time machine (while holding Artemis in princess carry). What are the odds they ended up somewherewhen interesting (or at least plot significant)?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  26. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Has Robert considered doing what Zatanna did and getting a Genomorph-based accelerated education? Superheroing is what he's all about, after all. Though I don't even remember the last time I saw him onscreen.

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  27. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

You're the embodiment of avarice. Wanting it is necessary and sufficient for you to speak with no vocal cords or lips. Rings manage it, so can you.

28. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Briefly, but he decided it would be cheating.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure.

Maybe he wants to experience school like everyone else and then go on to be a full time superhero.

I remember he was shown in the A Week in the Life episode where they investigated the place Dream was kept.

Gilhelmi, Xmaster3000 and DrThoth like this.
  30. Agent Orange

In the immortal words of Mr Catmanez: "No no. If you cheat and fail, you're a cheater. If you cheat and succeed, you're savvyyy."

Gilhelmi, Xelloss, Darko and 3 others like this.