1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. frommerman

frommerman Getting out there.

Implausible. If we have the tech to reverse aging, we also have the tech to do external memory backups.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Not necessarily. But even if I develop immortality dementia after centuries of life, I would still prefer that over living less than a century.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I lean a lot more heavily to this conclusion. He wants humanity to stop being stupid, and they won't stop being stupid if he hands them solutions to their problems as faits accompli.

But humanity just. Keeps. Being. STUPID.

What's an Orange Lantern to do? He wants humanity to succeed on its own so badly that it hinders his ability to help.

4. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed.

BlueMangoAdea likes this.
  5. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

This is so bizarre. OL, an Enlightened Orange Lantern can't quite bring himself to accept that WTR humanity won't do anything without someone twisting its metaphorical arm into it but his Avarice addled - even more apathetic - incubus counterpart* can.

*and before anyone misinterprets it I'm talking about the super chill demon-eating one (with Roulette as his right hand woman and HQ in Africa) not Tangseid.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem is, we know that's faulty logic.

After all, Peter is going full stop with his uplift and it's actually working.

7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Peter doesn't have an orange ring highlighting his desire to be a superhero. He had to go directly towards technology from the start, and he never really made friends with the Team.

The stuff Peter had to do just to feel safe in a comic book world gave him a head start on the uplift project, while OL inadvertently sabotaged himself a number of times.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Peter also had more time. So it's not a good comparison.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Gothamghast (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG] May 7th 2012, 10:56 GMT -5 [​IMG]

He's here and I start walking towards the surface access at once. The red one… M'gann, she's been offering to see if she can make adjusting 'easier' for me, and I know she means well, but I've seen Sheeda brain weevils and I'm never letting anything touch my mind again.

"Got a hot date?"

That was the small one. Robin. He's smiling in a very Sheeda way, pretending to be polite while he tries to find out something advantageous.

"Grayven's here. I'm letting him in."

Controls… Right. Just-.

"You remember this is supposed to be a secure facility, right Artemis?"

The machine's not responding. Am I pressing the buttons right?

"Come on, Rob. It's not like he doesn't know where we are."

I am pressing the buttons right. It's just not opening.

"Not the point, Kid."

"And he's strong enough to pull the door open, and he can open a boom tube in here anyway, and I'm pretty sure Sunset could teleport him inside-."

Someone's.. denying me access. OBEY YOUR QUEEN!

The control melts and the ramp opens and I start feeling a bit more normal. That's… Probably bad.

I hear the quiet intake of breath from Robin and feel the space move as he changes from 'passively observe' to 'ready for action'. I turn slowly back towards him and the ramp clanks to the floor, inviting him to comment or take action.

"Um." Wally frowns, glancing at Robin before walking over to the control pad and poking it. "Batman use non-certified labor or something?"

"How did you do that?"

"I'm a goddess, it's a machine." I feel a little of the who-is-everyone tension leave me as Grayven gets closer. Then I start getting annoyed with him because I know he's just strolling rather than getting here. Then I stop getting annoyed because I know he knows that I want to be able to do this. That I need to be able to do this without him being there the whole time.

"I thought you were a goddess of arrows."

"I'm a goddess of arrows who ruled a planet."

I'm watching him, he's watching me. Neither of us are reaching for our weapons but… Heh, like Grayven said that time, we can both see the weapons that aren't-.

We both blink in confusion and Wally waves his arms up and down between us. We both turn to look at him as he frowns at us.

"Ah, guys, what the heck was that?"

"I'm not so sure that Artemis is entirely herself."

"Well, yeah, she spent hundreds of years in the future. She's been Queen of the Bondage Elves longer than she's been on the team. People change, Rob. And anyway-. Wait, are you still hung up on Grayven?"

"You mean the guy with at least two forms of mind control who was working with Doctor Sivana?"

"To be fair…" And I stop listening to what's behind me because Grayven's there and he's got it. "That does sound pretty sketchy. And it's four forms of mind control. Five. Maybe six."

He's standing next to me, facing down this 'Robin' guy with me. I can't even remember how many Sheeda Highborn we've faced like this. Feel a little skeevy doing this to a kid, but the sooner he learns not to mess with his queen the bet… Ter. For.. him.

I'm not his queen. I'm not his queen. And I shouldn't take the fact I'm forgetting out on him.

I can feel Grayven thinking about making me queen of somewhere. I don't.. think that would be better.

Have to be 35 to run for president, right?

Now Robin's watching Grayven's face. "You going to fix the door?"

"Are you going to trust me to fix the door?"

"Can I trust-"

I step aside just before Grayven turns around and waves his ring at the ramp and its control station. The ramp starts to close and the control pad doesn't look quite the same as it did before, but I already know that he just did that to force Robin to take the whole thing apart and check all of it. He's probably put a load of random wires and stuff in it to try and drive him crazy working out what it all does.

"-you to fix the door?"

The ramp closes fully, and Grayven mimes flipping a coin before we both walk past him.

"Recognized, Batman, zero two."

Robin doesn't really react, but Wally's wincing as Batman appears. And all I can think is 'why did he used to intimidate me'? I've had giant millipedes try and eat me. Invisible people from the future try to kill or manipulate me into being their slave. I stabbed the guy who ate the universe to death.

He dresses like a bat. Who finds bats scary? What's he supposed to do, give people rabies?

"Batman!"

Grayven's smiling and using the faux-pleased voice he uses when he knows it's going to annoy whoever he's talking to. Yeah.

"Grayven. Why are you here?"

Does he need a lozenge or something? I frown faintly, then notice that Robin and Wally are almost standing to attention.

"Because I wanted to ask why you disregarded my instructions and sent a seventeen year old girl to attack the Castle Revolving, when I explicitly told you that I had it in hand."

He doesn't say 'dumbass', but I don't think I'm the only one who hears him not say it.

"Because I'm pretty sure that Scott would have let me take a swing at them and only go in if I failed or asked for help."

"You didn't tell us you were working with Doctor Sivana."

"I also don't tell you how big my evening shit is. But I can start if you want?"

Wally cringes.

"Did you intend for Sivana to destroy the Sheeda command ship?"

"No, but in my defence, who could have imagined that Sivana cared enough about anyone to carry out a suicide attack? And in any case, that only reinforces my point: if I don't know that someone else is on-site, I can't take them into account. If…" He glances back and I keep watching the bat-man. "Robin or Kid Flash had been in the next room, you'd-" He turns back, and I go back to watching our peripherals. "-be down two sidekicks right now. And that meant that you weren't covering the places I thought you'd be covering."

"If you wish to discuss planning for future events, we can do that another time. This is a debriefing session for Artemis."

"Ah? Well, pencil me in and carry on."

Grayven steps aside and the chiroptera cosplayer gives me his full attention.

"Without you being here."

"Yeah, no." I fold my arms across my chest. "I barely remember any of you people. I'm not doing anything with you without the person I trust most being here. This happens with Grayven here, or I'm out. Completely."

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I suspect OL is feeling rather stretched thin with all the pots he has on the stove. The OLC, Tamaran, missions with the team, general Vega shenanigans, general Earth shenanigans, the various research projects he has going, maintaining a relationship, etc etc. Running out of fucks to give is a real problem for someone who's power runs on said fucks. He can't just gut his way through the boring bits like a greenie. It's gotta be all fucks, all the time.

11. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I feel like Renegade!Batman hasn't had one of his heroic schemes backfire as badly as sending Artemis to the infiltrate the castle is going to.

...I wonder if this is going to be a lesser repeat of the post-Nabu fallout from Paragon?

12. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"What do you mean she doesn't want to be separated from the person she spent centuries with while we interrogate her with people she barely remembers while being antagonistic to the aforementioned person?!"

Also, yeah Grayven making some real good points there. If he plans on people being in place A, while they instead fucked off to place B, then things are somewhat more difficult. These are things you should know, Batsy.

A misleading, but technically accurate description for the OL Corps. Perhaps that should be the new motto? It'd certainly help with recruitment.

13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I do think this speaks to the issue both Paragon and Renegade have, though more so for the former. The scope of the narratives is just so large that we don't get the intimate character interactions, dynamics and development that we used to, or rather we do still get them but they're swallowed up by the constantly shifting narrative focus. Relating things to the latest update, Renegade-Artemis's change is a big deal that's sure to have a lot of implications for the Team and to a lesser extent the League, but I don't think we'll spend enough time on it because previously main characters just come and go intermittently into Renegade's narrative (I'm also thinking of Renegade-M'gann, whose arc I do like, but we don't see enough of because she doesn't interact with Renegade as part of his close peer group anymore).

I don't think I'm saying anything new here though, so I'll probably just take the story as it comes. I am looking forward to more of the Reach actually showing up (I think that's what the episode will be about), though it's admittedly a bit tiring on the heels of four episodes featuring pseudo-insectoid inhuman/alien invaders.
    Have Paragon or the Controllers tried more esoteric orange light manipulation on Reach forces, to neutralize or nullify their desires, for example? I think Scarab technology is able to block constructs, though I can't remember a source, but I don't think every authority figure has that same capacity.
    What is the Reach governance structure like anyway? Is there a singular Emperor/Empress somewhere or some kind of assembly or something? I can't currently gauge how effective assassination of high-ranking Reach officials (which Paragon's instant transmission and developed desire tracking should make him quite good at) would be to destabilizing their empire.

14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Batman really suffers against people he can't psychologically intimidate. Especially when it's someone with powers that he can't take physically.
    He's gotten spoiled by ordering around kids.
    It's also hilarious.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'glances'

Apt name.

maybe 'Feels'

maybe 'that I'm forgetting that'

You're way past that age.

'that ate'

People in the dark night who can't see all that well and know that something is out to get them.

The effect ias somewhat ruined in the daylight, but at night it probably causing some people to shit their pants.

Bats is also a sdcary guy even during daylight, you're just not afraid of him because of everything you've seen, but others haven't seen what you've seen so they're terrified of him.

'gives'

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well isn't Artemis a giant bucketload of untreated PTSD.

That said, I am a bit surprised Batman didn't bring in Scott and Barda to check her for Mind Control given the circumstances.

17. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

I am really enjoying platonic life partners Artemis and Grayven here, I'd love to see more of the two of them.

Shame they're not romantically involved, but I'll take what I can get.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wonder how long it's going to take the paranoid members of the Team and the League to realize that Artemis isn't mind controlled? She's just different from how she was before, and there's nothing they can do, short of memory erasure, to change that.

19. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

"Guy who ate" I think

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The thing is, she might actually be mind controlled.

Remember, Renegade's whole New God thing involves a subtle type of mind control over those he's "conquered". So if Artemis in any way falls into that category, she actually could be and just wouldn't know it.

21. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I've heard of Mengele, never seeing a doctor again.
    I don't think it's a phobia, more like... Aversion due to ignorance?

*chuckles in 2020*

22. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

It would be in character to have them at least waiting near buy, if not just having them try to 'spy' on the debriefing.

Prince Charon likes this.
  23. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

You've just described literally anyone who ever conceeded anything to him and everyone who followed his lead after he became a New God, along with everyone he ever turned into a new god. So sure, Artemis is mind controlled... in a same way most characters he interacted with are. If anything she'd be less mind controlled than most of the Team because she's far closer to him in 'metaphysical weight' than any of them.

24. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

There's also the fact that it's a two way bond, grayven feels it too.

25. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

The iron collars are more like manacles that they wear together.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And given how powerful she is now, who knows how she'd help you adjust? Can you bring yourself to trust her with that level of access to your mind? Who knows how she'd react to the memories' content? Having her collapse screaming in horror might not be the best showing...

Heh, this reaction she knows how to deal with. Probably feels comforting.. in a disturbing way.

Not squishy enough? :D

Man, they must be worrying hard right now, inside. bet it's triggering all kinds of warning bells for Mind Control...

Sounds like someone ordered her access revoked. Batman, of course. Who else would be wary of letting her run kind-of free?

Yes, but those would not exactly be friendly. And he's trying not to piss Batman off, right now, is he?

She's become used to being obeyed. So when something actually obeys her, her Godhead is soothed. We've seen something similar with Grayven dominating a foe into submission, haven't we?

Boy, Wally really has been neglecting his New God aspect, hasn't he? Mr Zoat said he didn't really care about the metaphysical aspects... And now I get the feeling that will bite him in the arse someday.

Boy, thinking like a Sheeda really left her in a weird headspace, didn't she? Her mind is a twisty knot of logic now. I bet M'Gann would get a headache trying to follow her train of thought, or have it feel like a roller-coaster...

Do you rule anything, bird-boy? No? Then shut up and come back in a millennium.

Time out, before someone gets hurt, huh? I see this Robin will be inheriting his mentor's paranoia...

You know, one thing Worm got right was the concept of Master/Stranger protocols. Having a system for identifying unusual or out-of-character behaviour is such a useful thing... Even if it occasionally leads to long time-outs when you encounter out-of-context problems. Like big, fluffy white wolves, or little pink gems that talk...

Only two? Give him credit, Robin. Grayven wouldn't get out of bed without five ways to dominate an opponent. Never mind what his rings can do. :D

Ah, a rare chance for us to see Grayven from the outside. And at least Artemis can feel a little worried that she's thinking like that.

At least she knows Grayven has her back no matter what. Some people never find that kind of friend.

Ah, seeing Robin indulge his paranoia against the bulwark that is Grayven. It gives you such a feeling of schadenfruede...

Ah, it's the little things. Love the way she just knows how he'd mess with Robin...

More fuel for the paranoia, eh? Be careful, Grayven, or you'll turn Robin into the next Question...

And once you've done that, there's not much that could scare you in a fight. Settling back into your old life, though? I bet Ringnestro would find the fear fascinating.

Hey, it's scarier in the dark. Where most of the people he's taken on find out what sort of person they really are. And it's usually the sort who wet themselves, scream, maybe even faint... Compare the Sixties' series Batman, who ran about in broad daylight in light grey and blue.. To the Burton Movies' Batman, who operated solely at night in jet black (which would honestly impair stealth, bu hey) and was so rarely seen before the movie that at least one artist's impression was of a snarling beast-man.

It's fun watching Grayven schmooze people into frustration. Now we get to watch it from someone else's point of view.

Seriously, the DCEU (what an ugh name) got one thing right about Batman: The voice changer tech works so much better than a man basically destroying his vocal chords trying to speak in growls...

Though by that point, the Castle would be on its guard. That's probably why Batman did it.

Thankfully, this isn't the ultimate paranoid Bat-god who would probably know anyway because he'd have Challenger Mountain bugged six ways to Sunday...

:rolleyes: Come on, Batman, you know any mission Grayven takes on usually ends in flames and screaming anyway. Why are you so surprised?

And don't think Man-dressed-as-a-bat hasn't noticed that subtle instinctive teamwork between them... The question is, what does he think of it?

I'm guessing he was allowing Artemis time to get her thoughts in order to go over the sequence of events. Because he wasn't expecting the whole 'centuries spent in the future' thing, was he?

And that's just going to cement the 'mind-control' thing in their heads even more. :( One more wedge in the crack between Artemis and the Team...

At this point, I bet Artemis is feeling more than a little frustrated here, I bet. There's a clear streak in her thoughts that they're treating her like the bad guy, if you look at it. Honestly... It's like Batman is trying to drive her into Grayven's camp.

...Wally waves his arms up and down between us.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

None of those other characters have spent hundreds of years under the yoke of Renagades conquest aura.

And to be perfectly honest the others would be right to suspect at least some level of mind control going on with both how she's acting and her refusal to let Miss Martian go through her head.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  28. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I mean, can you really say sending Artemis in backfired? Wasn't she pretty important to Grayven actually being able to defeat the universe eater and get back home?

Sure, it wasn't planned for, but I got the impression Grayven would have remained trapped in the future without her coming along for the ride. Or even killed if that final fight had been 1 vs 1 instead of 2 vs 1.

Why, it was unintentionally brilliant.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He rules the ability to make weird words.

They also made the Aquaman suit actually look cool.

They've only just started, so maybe don't judge them so soon.

They also probably never dealt with something like this before, a member being away for centuries and forming a god bond with someone else, so they may not know what to do.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup. Without Artemis Renagade would have died horribly.

Cuchulin likes this.