1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

ducklordethan on deviantart

Check out this psrson's art series called 'Frontliners'. It is a touching set of art pieces of people in medieval European plague doctors outfits as metaphorical representations for the frontliners of the doctors who try and save everyone in the wake of the terribel oandemic of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Warning: some comments had unfortunate politically charged words and sentences and one of the artworks is very much a metaphorical image for the...messy politics of USA. Do understand all these artworks were made in mid-2020.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Imabot, Eisen and rocket501 like this.
  2. rocket501

rocket501 Versed in the lewd.

Thank you for sharing this. If we are talking about the same one when you mention “messy” politics in the USA, I think it is actually well done. To quote tv tropes, “Some anvils need to be dropped”

me-meboi likes this.
  3. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Vorian likes this.
  4. litaispe

litaispe -

NYC is still doing nearly 200 deaths per day from COVID-19, so I'll put my bet on the second one.

It is rather horrifying at how places are racing to re-opened and throw away any mask wearing recommendations, just because a vaccine now exists. Not that it has been rerolled out enough, but just flat out exists and is promised to be available Real Soon Now(tm)

5. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

And it's not even guaranteed it'll work against the new variants spreading everywhere.

6. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

It’s almost like we’re completely disposable as long as the stonks keep stonking.

7. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Well, an economic collapse kills people too.

This is especially true in poorer areas like the Third World.

8. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

It is true, certainly, but also completely irrelevant. The course of action that minimizes the economic impact also happens to be the course of action that minimizes the deaths and suffering, and vice-versa.

Prince Chrom, Dakkaface and daimahou like this.
  9. ATP

ATP Experienced.

I arleady wrote about Ukraine and Belaruss,where nobody did anything and people are not mass dying - but entire Africa did the same.And they do not die from CV,too.
    Malaria,AIDS - yes,people mass die from that sometimes..CV - no.

Rakdos92 likes this.
  10. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

Here’s the door, I’m throwing you out of this thread and on your ass for good.

TotalAbsolutism gave you all a final warning, I’m putting that final warning into effect. You all were told to quit it with this conspiracy-mongering, and here we are again.

11. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

This is indirectly related to Covid, but Seattle, WA recently put in place a rule that frontline, essential workers deserve a $4/hr pay raise for being on the frontlines. This was chiefly seen amongst grocery store workers. Kroger's response? To shut down two stores and fire all the workers, because the giant national corporation that has been making bank during this pandemic because of everyone shopping instead of going out for activities is apparently "losing money."

So much for all that praise for "essential workers." Reminds me of this pic

[​IMG]

12. evildice

I'm always skeptical when a large organization wants to praise its workers rather than actually improving their compensation or working conditions.

EDIT: bonus meme
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  13. Amazon Climber

It’s the principle of the thing. You don’t want the lowlies to think you can afford to pay them; they’ll demand more money.

14. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

I got flu. Panic all around. The swab test says it's negative for COVID. Am still quarantined and fucked up with a runny nose and fever.

me-meboi likes this.
  15. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

No. Unless, of course, you're speaking very metaphorically and alluding to the issues caused by habitat erosion.

16. Amazon Climber

If it is, it’s a really incompetent punishment, given how poorly it’s been aimed. That’s why I’ve never considered the idea of disasters as punishment: They always disproportionately affect the least culpable and disproportionately spare the most culpable.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Prince Chrom, Pef, me-meboi and 3 others like this.
  17. Amazon Climber

Even if almost every individual gave up their wicked ways and became perfectly responsible environmentalists, it’d basically just be a token effort as long as the ones who are actually causing the majority of the harm keep ignoring their responsibilities. Yet they get spared and the people who do the least aggregate harm get hit.

18. evildice

So climate change is just the planet having a fever?

I find that idea amusing but not rigorously credible.

19. Amazon Climber

Scientific analysis of the epidemic and its impact? Like most disasters, the wealthiest individuals suffer the least harm. Death rate after infection is heavily correlated with wealth, and the billionaires made billions while the working poor got laid off.

If there’s ever a disaster that’s being inflicted on humanity as a punishment for our sins, you’d think it’d at least have the courtesy to affect everyone equally instead of outright reversing culpability and harm.

20. evildice

Lucky you, we've got several in progress.

21. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

No.
    No.
    Get the fuck out.

22. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Frankly, it's absolute bullshit that so-called "essential" workers* on the frontlines aren't a priority. Sure, the elderly and teachers are important. But they aren't the most likely to get COVID.

*essential my ass. If companies actually cared they would increase wages. So far only a select few have given frontline employees hazard pay. If you can, buy from companies that treat their workers right. Trader Joe's is a big example, rolling out a $2 pay raise a while back, and has just increased the hazard pay to $4.

23. Aleh

The elderly aren't the most likely to get COVID -- they're the most likely to die from it. They're being prioritized because every indication is that doing so is the best way to cut down the plague's death toll.

Teachers, similarly, have to spend a shitton of time in close proximity with people who are known for spreading diseases like wildfire.

24. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

From Brazil here and the long announced disaster is upon hand and shows no real signs of slowing down, I fear we will eventually go past three thousand daily deaths and keep climbing.

And with the USA sorting itself out there is no longer distraction from the dumpster fire this country became. I just hope we get lucky with the immense number of cases and no particularly dangerous mutation occurs.

25. evildice

USA here, glad we could entertain, hope your situation improves.

[​IMG]

26. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Things have become slightly annoying in Australia, the state of queensland has broken its 2 month streak of no new cases of Covid after a doctor at one of the largest hospitals in the state was infected by one of two patient's with covid, so now half the state is going back into lockdown since she was in the community for a day and contact tracing needs to be done.

Definitely awkward timing since vaccine rollout had just started, but going by previous cases when this happened things should be contained after a few days of lockdown.

On the bright side, I do appreciate the fact that it's literally national news here when a single person in a state gets covid, it has become that rare.

27. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

LurkingInTheDeceit and me-meboi like this.
  28. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Just a quick amendment to my earlier statement, looks like there won't be a large lockdown, but instead only one at that hospital and specficic locations that that doctor visited since they'll use contact tracing to see who is at risk.

29. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Poland here. Shit is getting really bad. My aunt who's nurse at hospital is almost at the breaking point. There no more free respirators. Everyday there are patients comming who need one. They have to wait for one until someone get better or pass away. Many don't last this long to have a chance.

She said everyday have 3-4 deaths just among people connected to respirators. And the other day when she talked with director he said that Director of other hospital called, begging and crying, asking if they have one or two respirator to spare.

And it isn't just Covid patients who need those. They literally have to decide who lives and who dies.

One good thing in this hell is that it appears that vaccination worked. There less death among elderly ( from covid-19 that is). Now majority od dead are people between age of 20-50 years old in recent weeks.

30. Aleh

And getting worse -- but fortunately not as bad as they were back in November. It's a shame -- you guys were doing so well until September or so...

Here's to hoping that the vaccines cut down on the worst of it. *Sigh*