1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 8 question

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by 24caratcoal, Apr 8, 2021.

1. 24caratcoal

24caratcoal Plotbunny Rancher

I’m currently working on a story about a quasi-SI starting a micronation in an “alternate present” sort of AU. What brings me here with this is that I’m thinking of doing a world where Trump/a thinly veiled Trump parody got elected for a second time, because frankly the man’s bluster makes for a great antagonistic trait. So this is my question, would I be able to do an AU timeline with Trump/a clone of him without running afoul of rule 8 or do I need to think up a different character to be president?

I wanted to ask before going ahead with anything.

2. 24caratcoal

Megaolix? Any thoughts on this since you seem to be the mod online?

3. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

For what it's worth, as far as I'm concerned, if you're writing a story where the poltiical position of the US president is actually somehow relevant to the plot*, and it's not far enough removed from our reality that the position in question has basically nothing to do with OTL modern positions**, you're probably going to be hit by rule 8 one way or another.

OTOH, I'm not a mod and as far as I'm aware never was one, so it's possible that my impression of rule 8 is not in fact as similar to its actual enforcement as I thought.

*) and if it's not already a well-established story by the time that comes up, I suppose, but the way you're describing it makes that unlikely
    **) I suppose something like "don't abolish slavery", or indeed "do abolish slavery", would probably qualify; I'm less sure that, say, a position on the rights of AI robots would

24caratcoal and Gregory Crey like this.
  4. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

After discussion among the staff, we've decided that having a character inspired by Trump is fine, using Trump himself as a character is not. So, don't use the name "Trump" or refer directly to any real-life incidents/quotations/whatever; but having an obvious expy is okay.

5. 24caratcoal

Is the name “Drumpf” alright? You can blame John Oliver for that one. :)
    Edit: Also, I will say, if I do quote him. It’ll probably be an accident from parodying his rambling was of talking.

Ttw1 likes this.
  6. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

That's probably a little too close -- it was a common derogatory nickname for him throughout his presidency.

7. 24caratcoal

... Fair. And this shows you how much I pay attention to politics. I’ll think of something. Thanks to all of you for getting back with me on this. I appreciate it. To the random name generator!
    And then to bed.

8. Evilhippy

Evilhippy The Cum Lord

I gotta ask, and sorry to hijack your thread 24caratcoal, but would Ronald Rump be acceptable?

I had this idea running around in my head and that name kept popping up but I was afraid it might be too close to the mark.

Ttw1 likes this.
  9. 24caratcoal

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a name in mind already. Has a good awful nickname too.

Wintercat and Evilhippy like this.