1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    When you're a disembodied brain... Fieldwork is not for you.

2. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Can someone explain the difference between a 'new god' and titan? Is it just a 'god' vs 'priomordial' distinction? I'm aware that, relatively speaking, the titans were bad, but why would a new one be bad?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Gods are specific, generally have a humanish mindset, and are orders of magnitude weaker.

4. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

From what I understood of Vulcan's explanation, Titans can embody and represent so much of an aspect of the world (usually primordial) that they become like a pillar or anchor of the Thaumosphere. As such they end up being super powerful and significant. I imagine the planet's Thaumosphere drastically changes if a Titan was born due to their mystical weight or some such, whole concepts of magic would have to be studied, or relearned, spells and enchantments may go crazy, shutdown or explode.

It would be as significant as if, in physics, a new fundamental force just appeared out of nowhere! (I think?)

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A New God, as in the case of Darkseid, Izaya etc., are basically super powerful demi gods connected to the Source.

Gods, as in the case of Zeus, Odin, Hades, etc., are beings that came out of the Dreaming either directly or were spawned from something that did come out of there.

The Titans are basically the same as the gods, only much more powerful.

Vulcan also explained why a new Titan would be bad.

Apparently the last time one of them emerged from the Dreaming, people and gods had massive nightmares and were driven to insanity due to it.

The Titans also apparently destroyed the previous magic order.

If a new Titan emerges then insanity and chaos may follow.

6. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

My primary concern right now would be that if this thing is getting used or being awakened early then I'd best find a use for it to fulfill first before it's used for something I don't want.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  7. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Not sure why people like to treat the Titans as though they are so much more powerful. They got their asses kicked by their kids. The entire point of the Titanomachy is that the Gods were stronger.

And even then Titan is basically just an indicator of, essentially, generation.

The difference between a Titan and a God is basically the difference between a Boomer and a Millenial.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Stronger in the sense that there were more of them, and they planned and cooperated towards a common end. Not stronger in the sense of having more innate power. The problem with primordial powers like Titans is a lack of flexibility; gods -- as we've directly observed -- may have comparatively narrower and shallower domains of mystical power, but they're capable of novel invention.

9. Mr Zoat

Source?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the gods won because they outsmarted the Titans.

Also remember that some of the Titans helped the Olympians in the war, like Helios. And the blessing he gave Kon has the potential to do planetary level damage, so we know Titans are extremely powerful.

Also it's possible the Titans were overconfident due to their power and that bit them in the ass at the end.

11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I mean, that's the case in Greek Mythology. I have no idea how it is in DC Comics. Or in your fic.

DrThoth and Doccer like this.
  12. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm just a bit worried about the fact that the magical construct of Mr Nelson is referring to John as 'Master'. With the Guess that this is Golden Boy John, anything that even hints at creepy or megalomaniac starts to stand out. While Paul can see now that it's not a true self aware spirit, it was a bit more lively and personable during his 'eviscerated by chaos spears' visit to the tower the first time. This John might have dialed it down and upped it's compulsions to serve a bit from back then.

As for a God of Technology...

13. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was going to say it, but you beat me to it.

I've been puzzled by this ever since Oceanius stomped Poseidon. Like, once Zeus got Chronos to vomit up his siblings, shit was on.

Yeah, the war took 10 years, but a 10 year war between Divine creatures is nothing. In the end, the Gods threw down the Titans and imprisoned the ones they didn't kill. Prometheus was at Zeus' mercy, Atlas was helpless as well.

Nothing I ever read suggested that the Titans were more powerful than their offspring.

Now the Giants, which Gaia created to get revenge for the Titans, were inferred to be more powerful than the Gods. Hence why Zeus needed to sire a half-human Hero (Which ended up being Herakles) to turn the tide.

Of course, it's Zoat's fic and thus his rules really, and Hell, I can totally see DC putting the titans above the Gods to have a "Bigger" bad for someone like Wonder Woman.

I mean Typhon, probably the biggest, baddest Titan/Monster of all of them, Got his ass kicked by Zeus something terrible. Only managing a stalemate when he (A Kaiju sized creature) managed to finally get a hold of Zeus and cut/rip his "Sinews" out. Then he was so fucked up, he had to go and recover. Only to get tricked into giving up the Sinews to string an instrument, which once Zeus "Refitted" them, Led to him kicking the fuck out of Typhon. Who to run cowering from Zeus' thunderbolts, only to have the King of the Gods slam a mountain down on his ass. Which is supposedly some Volcano somewhere near Greece (I don't know the name, sorry.) Which it is said, when it erupts, is Typhon screaming.

I honestly just look at it as that weird thing Fantasy fiction tends to do. The older it is, the more powerful it is. Ugh...Naruto flashbacks.

14. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Best case scenario, Primus.

Worst case scenario, The Broken God.

Doccer likes this.
  15. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Never heard of them. Do you have any links to these Giants?

16. Osserumb

Osserumb Getting sticky.

17. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The issue with Greek mythology and the war between the gods and the Titans is that it has been written and rewritten to the point of all of it being fanfiction of fanfiction.

When it comes to DC, Zoats interpretation that the gods won because they were more numerous than the titans and had the book of destiny on their side (one of the endless) is more than plausible.

18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would think it was the Olympians ability to plan and strategize VS titans being all HULK SMASH!

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Ah. OK, then it was just a 1990s comicbook writer making Western assumptions about an Eastern culture, and the '90s comicbook editors not knowing to correct him. I either hadn't known that, or had forgotten.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Threadmarks: Common Sense (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

28th August 2010
    12:03GMT -2

I wave the ring, undoing in an instant the damage Black Manta and Company made when they broke into the Poseidonis Science Center and stole...

"I'm sorry, Minister Vulko, what exactly did they take?"

He looks up from where he's discussing something with another researcher.

"They didn't take anything. Black Manta attempted to steal an ancient creature frozen in arctic ice, but when Kaldur'ahm and Garth stopped him all he could do was destroy it."

"When you say 'ancient', how old do you mean?"

"It's hard to say. Before the Sinking, certainly. As I hope you can appreciate, we have excellent records of aquatic life in the Atlantic Ocean after that."

"So… Was it an aquatic dinosaur?"

"Almost certainly not. It appeared to be some form of echinoderm, but I'm afraid that we weren't able to really begin our analysis before the attack."

"Like a sea urchin?"

"More like a giant star fish."

My environmental shield wavers. DC, giant starfish. That says Starro to me, though… I suppose that there might be other giant starfish around the place. I was never an expert on extinct aquatic species.

"Roughly how big?"

"Roughly… Eight metres, arm tip to arm tip?"

"And it was completely destroyed?"

"No, not completely. A small amount of tissue was left over." He sighs as he swims upwards towards me to carry on our conversation. "We're sending it to the surface. King Orin feels that S.T.A.R. labs are better situated to contain samples in the face of criminal attack." He looks at my face, then gives me a mild frown. "Is there a problem?"

Explaining what I think it could be might risk someone questioning how I-.

[​IMG]

Oh, of course. The Green Lantern Corps must have records of Starro. Even if the local Green Lanterns haven't ever bothered looking it up. And while Jordan and Stewart regularly talk to each other, neither of them talk to Gardner if they can possibly help it. I've talked to all three of them, and unlike me they don’t have perfect recall. They also don't know that I have perfect recall. If questioned I can just say 'I think you mentioned it one time', and if, say, Jordan says that he doesn't remember I can just shrug and say it might have been Gardner. He won't be sure that it wasn't him and he certainly won't contact Gardner to check.

"It… Might be nothing, but I've been training with Green Lantern Two Eight One Four A, and… He mentioned a species of giant alien starfish. It might not be the same species, but it… Might be worth checking."

"I hardly think it's likely that an alien starfish made its way to Earth. We didn’t find any wreckage or remains that could have been a ship…"

"The species in question flew in space using massively strong telekinetic fields. I don't know how familiar you are with the phenomenon..?"

He shakes his head. "Not at all. The genetics that give rise to that class of mental abilities don't occur in Atlanteans. I think it may be something to do with the alterations made to us to adapt us to sub aquatic life. Or it might be that our forebears simply didn't have the genes. Since magic can serve virtually the same purpose there wouldn't have been any evolutionary incentive for the trait to arise. But these starfish could fly through interstellar space?"

I shrug. "I haven't seen it myself, but that was my understanding."

"Fascinating. I wonder if they're artificial, or-. No, no, that's not important. Are they dangerous?"

"They can mind control the populations of entire planets, so yes. Do you still have the remaining tissue here?"

"I… No. It's on its way to America. But it's almost certainly dead."

"Right, but are all of the others?"

"Others?"

"They usually send millions of little ones. I don't know exactly how their life cycle works." I look around the room. "So it was… Here, right?"

"Yes?"

"Ring, scan for genetic material in detail."

"Compliance."

Thick waves of orange light radiate outwards, repeatedly flowing over every surface.

"Eliminate samples from Atlanteans and known sea creatures."

"Compliance."

"And forward the rest to Lantern Two Eight One Four A and ask him to call me back once he's checked them against the Green Lantern Corps' database."

"Compliance."

"So were there any other starfish where you found this one?"

"The… Excavation is still ongoing."

[​IMG]

"And… What happens if Black Manta goes there?"

"Go there-?" His eyes widen. "They have.. guards…"

I blink.

"More guards than the city of Poseidonis? Also, are those guards sufficiently skilled at defensive magic to prevent an alien starfish taking control of their minds?"

Also: what? Yes, S.T.A.R. labs usually have good security, but this is the capital city of Atlantis. Even with distraction attacks… That's like Pokolistan sending a commando team to raid the Natural History Museum and just flying away. On the surface they'd have to get past radar and sonar. Ships and aircraft would be redirected to intercept exactly like they are when the Russians decide to try it on. How the heck did Manta get into position to do this?

"No. No, you.. definitely have a point. I will suggest that King Orin-."

The ring blinks.

"Excuse me. Answer."

Jordan's concerned-looking face appears.

"Don't touch it and don't go near it. Where are you?"

"Poseidonis. The Atlanteans dug it out from…" I look at Vulko. "Somewhere?"

"The northern polar ice. It's an alien, then?"

"Where is it now?"

"What's left of it after Black Manta hit it with a missile is heading for S.T.A.R. Labs Gotham. Might I respectfully suggest incinerating it, sir?"

"There's no need to suggest the completely obvious. I'm heading to Gotham now. Isolate wherever you found it. I'll clear that up next. Green Lantern out."

His face vanishes, and I nod. That seems like an entirely proportional response to me. But I don't know why Black Manta is able to get in and out of Atlantean territory-.

[​IMG]

Oh. Heh. Okay, yes, that would make more sense. Of course, it doesn't really help when I have a power ring that can track someone anywhere on the planet.

"You don't have a blood sample from Black Manta, do you?"

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  21. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

I am deeply interested in reading more about this version of Paul more so than usual just something appealing about it

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'it might'

Ahh, the ignorance people have when they don't know they live in a comic universe.

'know how'

'incinerate'

This may not work, sadly.

Manta probably has magic defences on his sub and bases in case Atlantis uses scrying.

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"I suggest we take off and anti-matter the whole side from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

"There's no need to suggest the completely obvious."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Maybe because common sense is so,so rare inDC?

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing an expended version of the Fallout-Alternate’s story someday- I’ve allways loved the setting, and some of the people/factions from the mod it’s set in sound fascinating...

27. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Should be "worst", like in next few paragraphs.

If the other John is right about "evil magician", it can be Circe or that-old-guy-from-atlantis. Convenient how they were recently higlighted in renegate timeline.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Circe, maybe.

Ahri'ahn, probably not.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooooh. Common Sense time! Let's see what plot points he derails today? Now, what about the Poseidonis Science Center would Black Manta.. want... (One quick wiki-walk later) :confused: Oooh, dear.

Ah, Vulko. Sometimes Orin's greatest ally, sometimes his worst traitor (out of usually misguided devotion.) And whichever continuity he's in, possessor of a damn classy beard.

Oh, yes. This is going exactly where you think it is... After all, what creature in DC would be likely to be frozen in ancient Arctic ice packs?

...No. While there are still dinosaurs wandering here and there on the face of DC Earth and beyond, they would have no business in the Arctic...

Yup. It's a Starro. Those who've seen the series will know exactly where this is going. Namely, the dig site.

I mean, a simple face-hugger form... Not too big a worry... Unless it manages to hit someone powerful. But even then, it's not a great threat.

Oh, that's bad. At that scale, there's no need for the face-huggers. They'll control people direct.

Surely this isn't the first time your meta-knowledge has informed you of something of concern, CS!OL? Still, let that little super-power of yours work...

Ah, the joy of taking advantage of other Lantern's issues with Bobblehead Malware... :oops: And their poor relationship with Guy. Just a little annoying there. Still, needs must...

Vulko, Vulko, Vulko... This is a world of magic and miraculous technology. Yet you draw the line at something flying in space unaided? o_O ...Then again, does the average Atlantean really understand the concept of Space?

Even if an Atlantean had possessed psychic powers, they would likely have left society due to the mental noise. And their abilities would have been unlikely to be recognised as psychic powers due to ignorance...

Yes, focus on the important questions, Vulko. You saw how CS!OL's aura flickered, you must be able to recognise the significance...

Dead is such a loaded term, especially with creatures like that.

Hmm... Wonder if the Pluto situation might get discovered much earlier... But that's for future CS!OL to deal with, sensibly.

Ooh, that's going to be a lot of material...

Boy, he is focused on this, isn't he? At least that search will knock a lot of signatures off the list...

Ha! Oh, Jordan is going to be putting his environmental field's waste removal function to use when he sees this, won't he. :D

Which Black Manta knows, given that he's in contact with Orm...

Enough guards to deal with Manta and his men? I think not...

Because that is a definite risk. Depending on whether there are any more Starros on site...

Obvious answer: He has a man on the inside. And that's going to set a catfish amongst the minnows...

That would be Hal going "On the phone! Get him on the phone! I want him on the phone right now!" after seeing the scans...

Don't worry, Hal, the local item is dealt with... But there may be more on planet...

Yes, Vulko, CS!OL explained this already. Do keep up. :p When a Green Lantern is in this much of a rush, things are bad.

I've no doubt Hal will be en-route in moments. Though I expect he'll want a full report on the 'Black Manta with a missile' later...

Ah, I see he's having a moment of clarity...

Let me guess, remembering the whole 'Orm equals Ocean Master' thing that he assumed wasn't applicable here, and finding himself wondering...

Heh. And since he presumably didn't spook the League of Shadows after the Clayface thing, no wards... Talk about easy-mode. :D Methinks the Light will be asking Klarion for something after this.

Oh, so many butterflies to derail future issues... No starro-fragment, no Klarion distraction to steal it, no split world. No starro-fragment for mind control tech, no takeover of the Justice League, no off-world trip. The question of how Manta bypassed so many of Poseidonis' defences means Orm may be exposed. The Green lanterns being on higher alert means they may well find the Star Mother in Pluto this time... Honestly, Common Sense is so overpowered in this universe, it's practically a cheat code. :p

...an ancient creature frozen in arctic ice, but when...

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Except in the 2018 movie.

Though Dafoe's performance was still great, even if it lacked a beard.

Hey, the guys a scientist, so accepting everything without proof would be kinda against science or whatever.

Probably, though they may not think too much about it.

I think you're wrong here.

Seeing as Atlantis is magical they probably would recognize their abilities.

If it was on the surface then they probably wouldn't be recognized.

This is probably their first meeting.

As far as he knows the flicker could just be something that happens from time to time.

If they stop the Starros now then that may not happen.

If I remember correctly the one in Pluto was awakened by a bunch of smaller Starros, so if they're stopped here that may not happen.

There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, especially from someone more experienced in a subject, which Hal, seeing as he's been a Lantern far longer than Paul, would naturally be seen as having more experience with aliens.

Manta has been fighting Atlantis for years, so he may already have magic defences courtesy of Orm.

Ras didn't really seem to fight people utilizing magic, so it's understandable why he would lack scrying defences, but Manta has been fighting magic users.

When Kaldur told Paul that they could have used his blood to find Manta, Paul told him that Manta probably had defences against that.

Not completely sure about some of these.

Klarion may decide to split the world because the Light needs a distraction for something else, or because he just felt like doing it.

Though it may be stopped much sooner here.

There were some Common Sense omakes with Nabu.

In one of them Paul and Nabu start at a much friendlier place and Paul recommends him asking Atlantis for a host or hosts, which Nabu seemed to consider, before he took out the magic Klarion infected Paul with.

If Nabu found a host sooner, then he may be able to stop Klarion before too much damage is done.

Though Paul also shot Teekle there and banished Klarion, so the split world may not happen and some other Chaos Lord,like Mordru, may come.

People may also may not be so interested in magic, seeing as Roanoke basically showed them it was real and they needed to be prepared, so if it doesn't happen here, then interest in magic may also not happen.

If this happens, then we see that sometimes common sense can backfire in big ways.

The Light may also try to utilize other mind control methods.