1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

I took a quick look at that other story and I got that teal is joy while... I'm not sure, light green? Lime? Is sadness. I saw purple but I have no idea what to attribute to that, 's why I figured I'd ask outright.

2. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Did Bullock just ask an apparent supervillain how to spell supervillain?
    He has mastered Gotham zen.
    The world will destroy all your fucks but one, so save it for something truly important.

3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I am not entirely sure what laws if any cover 'forced bodily alteration' but they could probably get him on practicing... 'cosmetic surgery'(?) without a medical licence?

OL no matter the universe seems to have trouble grasping the concept of consent (or tact) when he's in 'halping' mood.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This song perfectly captures how many fucks Bullock has left.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, he asked whether 'okay' was one word or two, because he's only ever written it as 'O.K.'.
    I honestly don't remember. You'll have to read the whole bunny thing.

6. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Oh balls.

Well, thanks anyways, haha.

7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Funny, but very imperialist and very "Orange Lantern's Burden" if you think about it.
    Assault and betterment may not be a crime, but Assault is, not to mention violating bodily autonomy is not good,and practicing medicine without a license is probably a literal crime.

As for "breaking and decorating? Less objectionable, certainly structural fixes aren't a bad thing, but taken literally---decorating to whose taste? Even in a completely benign case, there's the risk of building someone else's lego Death Star, if you don't ask people what they want.

8. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

The joke is that he would like half an inch of penis growth but apparently not a full inch, so he asked if OK was one word or two.

9. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

At a glance, the colors in the Teal Lantern SI are:

Joy - Teal
    Sadness - Lime
    Pride - Gold
    Dissatisfaction - Puce
    Need - Magenta (Not sure on this one, the story died before more than one clue came out)

EDIT: While the Puce Lantern oath talks about people spoiling fun, the highlighted sections make it clear that the emotion being felt is actually dissatisfaction- the one time the lantern in question feels 'fun' it's the light of hope.

10. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

I've been skimming the story and it might be grief.

In any case this is helpful, so thank you.

11. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

I have never seen force majeure used in this context. Is it correct?

12. Radiant Knight

Definition 2. 'Irresistable Compulsion or Greater Force'.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hmmm, now I'm worried this may be a future version of Tangseid.

14. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

You believe that Tangseid has achieved enlightenment?

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm hoping that it's just future paragon, and Paul has said he'd do some pretty ruthless things if it helps him, without going full on utilitarian, but I'm a bit worried.

Also he did seem jealous of Paul achieving enlightenment, so may have tried it himself.

16. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

but it may, not april ?

or it is just a Zoat thing where he does it a month later

17. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

It's hardly unusual for Paul to just lie to people in order to influence them. Here he sees a genuinely good person with incredible power having her time wasted by arguing with Detective Bullock, a man whose only real sterling quality is that he's not corrupt in Gotham.

By stating that if it was him he'd just be a warlord, Paul could accomplish one of several things:

1) He firms her resolve by offering a "Dark mirror" that she can reject.

2) He plants the seed of "Hey, these chumps can't actually stop me in any meaningful way" and she doesn't have to deal with the stress of arguing with them.

3) She decides "If they're going to obstruct me all the time then I can do more good elsewhere" and goes somewhere lower stress to help.

4) She comes around to that idea and takes over. Gotham couldn't get worse, right?

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hmm, good point.

Though for the last one I'd argue that while Gotham isn't Brockton Bay, it isn't exactly all that far behind, so things probably can get worse.

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

As noted and linked by AkazilliaDeNaro, this is Vanilla Seimmud (Pronounced 'Sim-mood, as their second chapter explains,) Teal Lantern of Sector 2814. Actually an SI morphed into the body of a Viera (From Final Fantasy's Ivalice.) Remarkable in that one of their first actions was to acquire legal immigration paperwork!

Hence Bullock's asshole behaviour here. He may be one of the cleaner cops on the force politically, but even he would get annoyed by the yelling of Union reps... For those who want to read the original scene, Chapter 4 of the original thread.

And that's not an exaggeration. The seven newer colours were more or less hybrids of two of the original seven, like Teal's Joy.

Might sound a lot more like Compassion, but when you consider the joy produced by the people living there... Well, when Teal Lanterns are strengthened by the Joy around them? It's quite the feedback loop.

And here's where things Diverge. The question I have is, is this an Alternate Paul native to this universe, or our wonderful Paragon making a flying visit across significant levels of meta? (Not quite Internship levels of Meta, mind...)

And before anyone asks: Yes, Viera can do that. Bizarrely, they can leap great heights, yet cannot stand upright without support. :rolleyes: Go Evolution! Vanilla here literally cannot stand on her own two feet without the twelve-inch-plus heels she wears.

Methinks she's panicked because she maybe recognises you. As an SI, she does have a memory of our universe, after all. And Mr Zoat did pretty much start off the tide of SI's back then...

To save reading time, that's her 'cure all ails' healing power. Healing is something Teal Lanterns are extremely good at, being a Blue-Green hybrid.

:D Why not throw in a "Nanoo, Nanoo!" for good measure?

Now that the surprise is out of the way, down to business! At least we avoided the usual 'Let's You and Him Fight' encounter.

Again, SI with possible knowledge of a certain Lantern SI story being written about the time they got ROB'd. Also, this is a long time before she knew there actually were other hybrid-coloured Lanterns around.

Oh, you're enjoying this, aren't you, OL? Getting to mess with an alternate Harvey Bullock?

Surprised his pants didn't feel a lot looser. He must wear his belt under the gut.

I mean, she didn't even technically break into any homes. All her work can be done from outside, so no crime there at all.

Haha, that'd ruin the careful image Bullock's probably been cultivating over the years. You know, the hard-ass, seen-it-all police detective who's 'getting too old for this shit'.

To quote a good movie: You came, You saw, You kicked his arse. Though it was more of a scry-and-restrain tele-nabbing. I mean, did Larfleeze even wake up?

There's a twisty thought for you.

Keep it up! I'm sure he'll enjoy looking like Fabio by the time you're done. :p Handsomest cop on the force!

;) You almost get the feeling he's actually trying to get them to fix him up, now.

He doesn't want to, though. He'd rather fix the cause of the problem, not the symptoms.

See? Oh, this is definitely a future Paragon. He'll make the world better, even if he has to kick everyone's arse to do it.

:confused: Buh-huh-wha-? Okay. Now, Tangseid might be a better target for that accusation, but wow. Then again, this OL must have been dealing with typical DC people for centuries. Imagine having to cope with all that instinctive foolishness. :rolleyes:

Oh, he's not pulling...

Bullock, you jammy blighter. You cheeky dickwaffle...

There goes one smug bastard. He may not have started the night intending to get a near-total makeover, but hey, when opportunity comes a-knocking, you do not ignore it! :V

For reference, this stuff gets her a place on the Team, courtesy of assuming Bruce Wayne was a supervillian (He would have turned up a in a few minutes.)

Aw, no Bruce Wayne interrupt... Yet.

Ah, now there's the rub. ( :oops: No, not that kind. Even if she does have fluffy bunny ears.) Could you be doing more, and how?

Well, this is not a side-trip I was ever expecting. Seriously, when I saw the title, I first thought "Something pony-related?" ...Then I saw the Teal. I don't even... :confused: What...
    What even possessed you to bring us this? :p I'm not complaining, it's great to be reminded of it (the thread is long dead, alas.) Are... Are we going to see OL visiting other Lantern SI's in future? How deep will the Fanfic recursion go? Is a meeting with Professor Black in the cards, given that they've actually mentioned a certain Orange Lantern in passing?

:p Pardon the Teal, I chose it for my corrections as a joking reference to this very fic...
    She points her right arm at me, forefinger extended accusatorially.

20. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Hm. A sentiment that could bring people to do both great and terrible things, especially if they have the power to back themselves up.

But if you truly believe that what you are doing is more important than doing the socially acceptable, why should you let society stop you?

ChestBurster, JoTa34, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

My bad, edited.

ChestBurster likes this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I’d get a feeling of resolution/closure if Paul (or Renegade Paul/Grayven) tore into Black for his mass-murder. I respect Paul, Blue-Paul (based on his role pre-honeymoon), and Renegade-Paul for their talks with governments compared to Professor Black’s pseudo-rationalist breakdown.

Gromweld’s Worm/Exalted story is a blast, but that lantern story is not my cup of tea.

24. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

Yes, but the dictionary definition is misleading. I have never seen the term used outside of the legal context when referring to contractual obligations. The force being referred to is one outside your control. To use the term force majeure is to suggest that some event beyond your ability to resist (an act of god) has prevented you from doing something. You can't say you will do something with "force majeure". It kind of fundamentally goes against the concept as being something beyond control.

Relyt33 likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Black? No. Black already occupies that space. And besides, that story might update again.
    "How in control do you feel, right now?"

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Plus even though Bullock is not corrupt, he's still an asshole.

My guess is that this is future paragon or some other version of Paul, either future or present, who achieved enlightenment.

But killing is out of the cards.

I think someone once wrote an omake where Teal Paul tried to snipe Ras, but the ring wouldn't let him.

If this is paragon then Larfleeze did wake up after Paul restrained him, but he was unresponsive and Paul just let him hold the Light Fountain.

Or it could be future Tangseid. Though I'm hoping it isn't.

Wouldn't it be funny if in tomorrow's chapter, or any other chapters focusing on this universe in this episode, we learn that this is Tangseid.

Okay, so less funny and more depressing.

To be fair to her and other superheroes, destroying the old order and installing a new one by force may sound appealing, but will probably end up with everything set on fire.

A lot of superheroes probably don't have knowledge on how to govern.

Don't remember this, but I'm reminded of an idea the criminals in Gotham from the Bruce Has a Problem story had, where they though Bruce was secretly a crime lord controlling Gotham and Batman and his sidekicks were his enforcers for metahuman crime, while Matches was for mundane crime.

Yeah, I think Eris mentioned or hinted about Paul, and the author said that Black has read WTR, so knew to attack and destroy the Light before they could adapt like they did with Paul.

Vorian, Ardy, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think that would work all that well.

Both paragon and renegade have not always stuck to their talking to governments policy and have on occasion advocated for people to take action into their own hands, like this version just did.

And Black has read WTR, so he would probably know that they're being hypocritical.

He also has very good knowledge of Young Justice, unlike paragon or renegade, so he would know about all the shit the Light commited, is committing and will commit in the future if they're left alive.

You can't exactly say that the ones he killed didn't have it coming, excluding the ones he killed to get emotions you don't typically find in psychopaths and criminals. Though he did make sure to compensate the families of those people and only killed them if they agreed to it.

And talking to governments would have probably tipped them off and let them go into hiding, thus leaving them to do more stupid evil shit.

Though he did leave Orm for Aquaman and Atlantis to take care off.

Cuchulin, JoTa34, Rockinalice and 2 others like this.
  28. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Wow, really? What an astute observation. I’d never have guessed.

kerleth, Cuchulin and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  29. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Thats very Nietzsche. (Gesundheit!)

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Radiant Knight

This looks like one of the 'post-continuity' bits, like Paragon visiting the MLP world, and the like. My guess is this is setup for Crisis of Infinite Lantern SIs.

Honestly though, this has given me some serious thoughts on making another shot at the entire Lantern SI thing. I wrote myself into a burned out corner the last time I touched it (though I did complete the main story arc I wanted to write, so everything after was gravy).

Hope, uh, finds a way.

[​IMG]