1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm reminded of that conversation Paul had with Dick about healing his uncle.

Hah, he's not wrong.

'mean'

'foe'

'I got'

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Because they don't mesh.

Honesty wasn't put on the table to power the ring, it was there as a possible escalation of the training in order to help a recruit overcome a block.

The elements of harmony can and do have their uses for a ringslinger, but they themselves don't power or direct the rings.

3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Hm. Nice contrast with Paragon's attempt at helping someone become better at using the Orange Light.

Jaron, Istaran, Relyt33 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ashaeron

Ashaeron Know what you're doing yet?

Because he's not a... Ringsmith? He didn't make the rings and as this is Grayven not Paul, would struggle making more of them. He doesn't have anywhere near the same investment in understanding the mechanics of the lights specifically.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Well, the teal lantern interlude suggests that using non-standard emotions requires some heavy metaphysical changes to the universe. Not, technically, beyond the various Paul's abilities, but currently they'd probably have to be made on the other side of the mirror.

From Alan's blue ring we've got an idea of how much of an emotion is needed to make a power battery. Namely nearly an entire planet's worth. The elements themselves might work as a power battery, but unless they create the equivalent to central power batteries that's still limited to one ring per element.

Of course if the goal is to just replicate the effects of a ring that's a lot easier. Order magic in particular seems like a good option for replicating the feats of a ring.

7. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Didn't Ryand'r/Wildfire also join the Omega Men in this fic? Or was that only in one of the timelines?

If Pren's greatest fear is being irrelevant, having all his efforts be ultimately futile, I think that could translate into a desire/ambition of being relevant in current Vegan dynamics, and a power ring (even a knock-off one) provides the opportunity to do that. Actually, wouldn't wearing the ring itself stimulate his avarice and desires, even if they're buried deep? Orange light exposure should normally be quite impactful in that regard.

I feel like his sentence about it being up to him to inspire Euphorix should have had some emotion behind it; will or hope could both make sense, and I feel that being Omega Men and constantly taking on a vastly superior force should require a constant drive that could make them good for will and hope. There aren't any Blue Lanterns in the Renegade timeline, but now that the reason for the Green Lantern Corps' lack of presence in Vega is gone, perhaps Pren or Kalista can be selected to be a Green Lantern.

I'm not familiar with the Omega Men in any significant way (my current impression is a grittier/darker take on the MCU Guardians of the Galaxy) but I do feel sympathy for them to a degree; it's hard to figure out what to do after a near-literal Deus Ex Machina resolves your main problems.

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Nice to get these things out in the open before they fester, after all. A pity I doubt Pren has enough anger for a red ring, though. And it looks like he doesn't have much in the way of Avarice, either...

Okay, Grayven, there's such a thing as too much honesty, you know...

Care to clarify that a little? I don't think we have time for a debate on the purpose of all existence... It's to sell comic books, duh!

Because you're a whiny prat with no clear idea of how to really run a resistance group? After all, did your 'Omega Men' do much of anything to impede the opressive forces in the sector?

Because there is absolutely nothing you can do about it? :rolleyes: Face it, Pren. You are completely and utterly useless. There's a reason the Renegade dismisses you out of hand when he sees you...

Because people would suffer in the crossfire. And you're too nice a fellow to allow that, aren't you? Pity the Renegade hasn't gone looking for the Indigo Tribe. Hell, he doesn't even realise they exist yet, does he?

Huh. I didn't realise Tamaraneans came in Blonde. Too used to seeing Starfire's auburn locks, I guess.

God, does he feel strongly about anything? It's like the man has milquetoast for a spine...

Ah. You just don't know what you want now, then. You're going to have to find something, little man. This is no time to be lost in indecision.

Pffft. Hardly. Ringestro would break you.

Huh. She doesn't really have much idea of what she wants either, then? But at least she can manage something...

I have the feeling neither Fear or Avarice are your colours, kid. Maybe you'd be better off running logistics?

And yet you'd probably find yourself of more use over there...

...To paraphrase MCU Thanos: "They barely know who you are." Seriously, where you known as anything but a paramour of Princess Kalista?

Like I said. Avarice is clearly not his colour. Not everyone can just pick up a ring and make it work, after all.

Indeed. Lying to yourself is no way to channel a great amount of any emotion.

Oh, don't get him started...

See, that is how you became the New God of Acquisition. No mere Conqueror would be so interested in his vassals' development unless it reflected upon him... And The Regenade doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks of him, after all.

Okay, that's not quitting. Guess he needs some 'me'-time to think about his life...

Yes, yes he does. I think you actually managed to drive some sense into his marble lump of a skull and shake up that teenager's view of the world...

The man knows what he wants. And how he wants to get it. That purity of Avarice is empowering.

He's got a point. And he's had plenty of time to listen in on the Renegade's side of things.

Yep, that's about the level of desire for advancement you'd expect from a man born to mediocrity. He'll go far, I think.

Oh, he's good. Many a lesser man would have bitten that poisoned apple of a possibility... And likely found themselves discontent and contemplating spousicide-cum-Treason...

:V Ha! Seriously, short of a visitation by the Ophidian herself, I doubt Pren will ever wield that ring.

Aw, we have to wait to see the results of OL's trolling plan? Man, how long must the commute take on Yuan? Still, getting to see Grayven give Pren a stern, fatherly brotherly taking-to is always good. After all, we know he has no patience for fools, and what is more foolish than Pren and Kalista's little attempt at a resistance group?

"I was born the third son of a minor baron...

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He joined in both universes, but we only saw him in the Paragon timeline during the Jiggity Jig episode where Paul told him to go home.

And even if he did join them it's possible he and Pren haven't interacred all that much, so Pren didn't immediately think of him.

If you mean Larfleeze, then that's not the only thing keeping the GLC out of Vega in this fic.

During the Jiggity Jig episode Paul mentioned the Psions having some kind of treaty with the Guardians and now that the Psions are dead the GLC can operate in Vega.

The Psions are still alive in Vega, so the treaty may still stand.

And even if the Controllers are their bosses now, they may have still chosen to keep the treaty to keep their Guardian cousins away.

Ardy, Prince Charon and Relyt33 like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He wouldn't be renegade if he wasnt an asshole.

But Zoat seems to love writing philosophical talks.

To be fair to the Omega Men, they seemed to be the only ones that actually tried to fight the Citadel while everyone else seemed to be working with them, were enslaved by them or were hiding behind a planetary shield.

We didn't really see any other resistance group.

They also probably freed a lot of slaves and killed a lot of slavers, and while that may not have done much in the grand scheme of things it was still more than anyone else was doing.

They probably know him as either the founder, or at least a high ranking member, of the Omega Men.

Renegade pretending to be Grayven and everything that followed that little decision, like Darkseid coming for a visit.

12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Didn't Renegade wipe out most of the Psions too?

I'll acknowledge there are still factors that could prevent a Green Lantern presence in Vega, but ultimately the Psion treaty and other things were secondary reasons (one shudders to think of what could have happened if the Psions had somehow managed to harness the orange light, though).

The Controllers in the Renegade timeline aren't in as strong a position as they are in the Paragon, and their actual presence in Vega is relatively limited, so I could see things going multiple ways. Guardian-Controller negotiations would be interesting to see either way, and outside of the Anti-Monitor scare there hasn't been much on that front.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He left the young ones alive, but he wiped out most of the adult Psions, except a few.

14. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

This guy is pretty much the Euphorian version of Grayven, isn't he? Benevolent dictator with boundless ambition and genuine good intentions towards his subjects?

Whiteeyes, Istaran, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Crown Imperium version to be precise.

Whiteeyes, Pinklestia and Ardy like this.
  16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hehe. If there is ever a crossover with Baylon 5 I can see the Shadows frantically running up and down as random orange rings pelt them from all sides :D

Vorlons would be greens, I guess.

Now I want Grayven to talk to a Vorlon...

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat did once mention a potential future scenario of renegade going to the Babylon 5 universe.

Handlewithcare, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  19. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Not just that. It also makes them think the Orange Lanterns are covering up OL's death and trying to play it off as "naw, our spiritual leader totally survived that assassination attempt by using his miraculous powers"

Whiteeyes and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

I think that's it.

21. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I like Duke Oswin! That's a motivation and drive I can respect.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Hmm, what emotion best corresponds to 'noble intentions?' Will? Hope? Something else?

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an old error. That should be 'own secretary in the future'.

Assblaster5000 and Ardy like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Indigo probably.

I think that's a way British people say it.

25. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think there is some difference between Avarice and desire. Wanting to achieve something isnt the same as what fuels the orange light.

On a separate note, I can really appreciate Duke Oswin. It is the exact same mentality I have. No need to be on top, just to have something yours and have it do well.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I'm afraid so.

27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Different Universe and he would need six rings.

Also they only really work against evil people.

If other Grayven is not really evil...

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

29. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

In addition to all the other factors involved, even if it was on the table as a power source, the Elements of Harmony explicitly have a very limited power source. They had to be returned to the Tree of Harmony in order to get it functional again, so it might not work very well as a power source for a Lantern Corps.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I have a feeling he'd stab one with a three edged sword. Just for the irony.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.