1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Best Girl needs our help!

Quick, pray to her!

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Are the Titan Seed-gods Karrakanians or some other species or artificial creations of Rhea using the Titan Seeds similar to Diana and Donna? I'm still a bit hazy on the differences but Paragon brought up the latter comparison before so I assume it's that? I need to reread the episode after it's complete.

I'm wondering if Superboy, blessed by Helios as he is, would be able to use the Titan Seeds, even if just the ones associated with Helios's parents Hyperion and Theia.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They're creations of Rhea.

In mythology Rhea is connected to motherhood and fertility so she may be able to have children without a partner.

4. scooterboo

scooterboo Getting out there.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize the pun of Athens vs Sparta.

5. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Sparta might not be activating any Sun Eaters, but she is certainly doing something around the factor area.

Can Boom Tubes be used to steal whole areas? Send the factory and all the Sun Eaters in them to her sponsors? That is a terrifying idea.

On another note, Mr Zoat you check out new season of YJ yet or naw? I understand if not interested at all at this point, just curious if you had an opinion in general on direction of show.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Phillip Duxbury

Phillip Duxbury Getting some practice in, huh?

Question. If Larfreeze's ring could be destroyed and recovered... could Teekl? Last we saw of the cat it was a construct, so dispersing into the Honden is not impossible.

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Are Hinon and Dox ever going to learn that they need to have at least 2 Lanterns accompanying Paul during missions due to the almost certainty of his missions going sideways?

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'll probably watch an episode tomorrow.

9. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Should've deleted the Chaos Moon.

Prince Charon, Doccer and Mr Zoat like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Chaos Moon?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's just asking them to leave the Corps.

If they see the type of shit Paul gets involved in then they'll do everything in their power to get as far away from him as possible.

Manga did it after the giant Star Conqueror fiasco.

mastermenthe and Ngamer11 like this.
  13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

In Warhammer Fantasy, the world has two moons. One of them is made of solid warpstone and summons daemons across the world every apogee, which is once a year. That the version of Paul in the setting was famed for getting elves pregnant instead of removing the mass of warpstone in a wave of citrus indignation visible across the sky despite his ability to absorb- It's been corrected.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think I found a few errors.

Systems should be capitalized.

That should say 'Systems'.

15. Mr Zoat

No, he's using it as a description rather than a name.
    Thank you, corrected.

16. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 39)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    21:14 GMT

People's desires shift when they're terrified; the short term becomes even more apparent than normal and longer aims become occluded almost entirely. A giant black textureless cloud appearing on the surface of your planet near a place which beings claiming to be gods have told you is very dangerous will do that.

I do not like the feel. It makes them simple.

The Ophidian moves around me, becomes the area around me, living as the desires of the panicking people.

We better fix it then, hadn't we?

I step

in, outside the area of the cloud but close enough that I can fly to the factory's entrance relatively quickly. Sun Eaters… They don't look like much. They certainly don't look like suns, not if they haven't fed recently anyway. Rather, they're clouds of ionised gas which use exotic energy absorption methods to suck just about any sort of energy that touches them. It looks like a perfect black body because it's absorbing… Almost the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

A glance aside shows one of the obvious consequences of that; the local grass and tree analogues have frozen solid as a novel life form designed to suck the heat from stars begins doing the same thing here. This is only a tiny part of a Sun Eater, but even this much exposure will kill the planet if it stays here.

I'm just glad that the Controllers didn't put it away fed. If they had, we'd be talking about Minosyss in the past tense.

Okay. These things aren't mentally complex enough to have language. The Controllers didn't build in commands because… That's basically impossible, and it was easier to just carry them to a place and release them. They can die, but it requires a rather powerful weapon and… Minosyss, past tense. They don't really drain power ring bubble fields, but…

The factory might shut down my shield, in which case…

I modify my armour, increasing insulation and adding exotic energy barriers which should prevent it draining me. The electric and plasma discharges that occur inside shouldn't be too much of a problem at this point in its feeding cycle; they're not that strong.

Uhh.

I try to feel for Sparta's desire set, but I get nothing.

Right, fine. I've got a map, and it's not as if there's a lot of stuff in there.

I fly at full speed into the blackness, using markers from the local terrain to judge my location before everything disappears. If anything much has changed then I'm about to ram into something at high velocity, but this part of a Sun Eater doesn't have a lot of mass to it. It probably hasn't altered the shape of the tunnel, and freezing the ground… Probably won't make it cave in worse.

Probably, probably.

From the speed I'm going, that certainly seems to be-.

There goes my shield bubble. My exotic shield takes the load, meaning that I have the distinction of being the only pink Orange Lantern. Fighting with this thing is going to be a pain, but less of a pain than freezing to death in the coils of a Sun Eater.

"Orange Lantern to New Cronus. Please respond."

"Orange Lantern Illustres to Controller Hinon. Please respond."

Ophidian?

Nothing again. About what I expected.

Since I'm not delaying so that I can sound Coeus out or paying careful attention to my surroundings, the journey down is a lot faster than it was the first time. Okay, assuming that she's at the control station then I should drop down here, and-.

And the black isn't there any longer. It's behind me and below me and above-

"…twelve stones, Sparta. This isn't exactly a simple business."

-me and who's that?

"They already called for a Lantern."

"Yes, I noticed that. You used the Dream Exhorter before making your attack?"

"Yes!"

"So he was here already. Unfortunate, but these things happen. You should worry more about what comes next."

Two figures on the control platform. Sparta, looking a little more like the rest of us in texture. And… A figure in black and purple. Doctor Impossible, not that one. Not sure exactly what he does or why he's here, but it would make sense for him to be the source of Sparta's New God technology.

Doesn't tell me who his source is. Is he working on his own initiative or at the behest of another?

"They'll still follow me. They can't restore Karrakan without me!"

"That's probably not true. Tell me: did this Orange Lantern offer to help them with that?"

"Yes. But only with the planet itself."

"The Orange Lantern Corps has magicians. They will almost certainly spot the other problems."

I'll definitely look for them, thank you. Getting a slightly better angle from underneath… The Seeds which Sparta kept are plugged into some sort of New God machinery which floats above the control platform, and they're doing that 'additional spatial dimension' thing that Sparta was doing a few minutes ago.

"Are the parasites at least suffering?"

"Not yet. As I said, without all twelve Seeds there's not much I can do. I did tell you that you should give them to me at the start."

"I needed to show some sign of my victory!"

"How did that work out for you?"

"They will come back to me. They must."

"That's hardly my problem. But if you can't get me the other Seeds, then… Well… I'm not sure what you're expecting me to do here."

"Teleport up to the bridge of New Cronus and take the Seeds, just as you did when you took it from Phoebe!"

"Firstly, catching a target distracted and alone is a very different proposition to taking them aware and defended. Secondly, they might be leaching the power but they're not dependent on it. Thirdly, the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps is directly below us and listening in on our conversation."

Surprised it took him this long, really.

"What?"

I float upwards, just passing over the lip of the control platform.

"Look, I don't know what's going on, but you can still mend your relationship with your Ascendants. I'm happy to help out with whatever's going wrong on-."

"Lantern." Doctor Impossible shakes his head, his hands moving over the console. "She's not that rational. Just fight it out and sort out who was right later."

"That's-."

Sparta leaps at me, arms outstretched!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  17. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

"That's...disappointing."
    (I presume is what Paul was about to say)

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Renegade didn't remember that. I like how Paul can rely more on metaknowledge, while the Renegade needs to make do with whatever he remembers plus Grayven's memories/archives from his Fatherbox, and then Motherbox.

I really hope this guy doesn't capture OL, leading to an arc or two of OL trying to escape. Also, I love how Doctor Impossible just tells OL to cut to the chase instead of trying to talk things out, since he knows it'll never work with Sparta.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So it's Grayven.

Ohh, so it looks like the magic on the planet was somehow damaged.

Not too surprising, seeing as it had a demigod war on it.

So it was him.

Well if Paul manages to capture him I'm sure the Titans will be interested in showing him some of their hospitality.

So even if they don't get the Seeds back they may still be revived.

Well fuck.

Or he knew you were there from the start and was preparing a trap.

Nice try Doctor, but what you don't know is that Paul isn't rational when it is most desperately needed.

That's Common Sense' ability.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    mastermenthe, Ardy, Oglymogly and 8 others like this.
  20. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

"This isn't a rational opponent you can talk things out with. This! Is! Sparta!"

21. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

I love this line.

Also, missing threadmark.

22. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

the doc tells it like it is.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Vorian, Alexandercctv, mauke and 7 others like this.
  23. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

What happened to you Paul? Why not simply surprise capture and THEN talk?

You were supposed to be better than this.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul always prefers a peaceful resolution. He'll only go with pre-emptive strikes and immediate countermeasures when he's sure that that isn't possible. Also, keep in mind that Paul isn't operating at 100%, probably because of that Dream Exhorter that Doctor Impossible mentioned.

Maybe he can have those Venturians look into that, since Paul gave them the job of researching the Dream.

Vorian, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 9 others like this.
  25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why isn't Athyn's with Paul? Did he not use the seeds?

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed, Ophidian. When it comes down to it, being that afraid does tend to wipe all other thoughts from your head, other than 'get away from scary thing'... At least OL won't have to worry much about the locals. Those that aren't fleeing are already dead...

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. One of these things took all the heroes and villains of Earth working together to stop, and some of them still didn't survive.

And likely it'll just absorb anything your ring can throw at it too. This is going to be a tough one.

...Because the planet would have evaporated in its' energy corona as it shifted into real-space? More than likely...

...Which raises the questions of how the Controllers took them down once deployed. The 'powerful weapon' option, I suppose. Or did they just not give a fuck and let them run riot in the local area?

Thought so, it;'s probably absorbing emotional spectrum energies too. Or she's got some kind of concealing device down here.

To be fair, if you do end up hitting something, your armour can tank it.

Don't get distracted, OL. Let's hope it doesn't sniff out the juicy morsel flitting about... Namely you.

Getting a real 'Spock flies into V'Ger' vibe here... Trippy.

Yeah, that's to be expected. This thing is basically a black hole without the hypergravity, in terms of energy absorption...

Well, shit. Looks like you're gonna be stuck with the old Righteous Face Punching when you find Sparta...

And now I'm picturing a black mist flowing along the walls all around him, heading for the surface... Spooky.

Ah, Sparta's sponsor, no doubt. Finally we get to find out who it is...

Which would presumably be what was futzing around with his head back during the fighting. Presumably meant to create a blockade against exotic travel methods, like Greediporting.

Yes, marvellous timing. Also known as 'stepping hip deep in the latrines'.

Ah, basically the Anti-Scott Free. The man with the convoluted plans.

...And he's worryingly genre savvy. Great.

So, the Ascendant war messed up the world's Thaumic structure. Which probably goes some way to explaining why the Titans fled. The place is probably inimical to anything with a soul now.

Ah, the Conspicuous CG effect again. I'm betting the New God device is meant to serve as a control system for the Sun-Eaters. And lets mere mortals bridge the functionality gap between them and a Maltusian in order to use the factory controls.

Ah, yes, the 'never gloat until all your enemies are dead' part of the Evil Overlord list... Critical failure there.

Overestimating your importance a little, are we, little frog? Too bad the world outside your well is quite a bit more complex than you wish it were.

Ah, so that's how they got it. Surprised he doesn't use a Hush Tube, though. Guess he didn't have all the materials needed to build one.

Or, as others have said, he knew you were there the moment you got near enough. Guy's a grade-A asshole.

No, OL, I don't this is going to be that easy.

Predictable? Disappointing? Annoying? Yes, yes I suppose it is.

So, the final boss battle of the arc begins. Thankfully, Sparta's not got the power of the Seeds to call on right now. So it comes down to 'can OL manage to match her in Narrative Combat' while trying not to get killed physically. Talk about an acid test for his newfound knowledge of Godspeech...

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul gave them to Athyns for safekeeping when going to confront Sparta. Athyns isn't going anywhere near Sparta.

28. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

I like this guy, finally someone behaving rational and genre-savvy in this arc.

mastermenthe, Vorian, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maltusians are godlike beings so they may have also been able to overpower these things.

Seeing as the Seeds were mentioned I'm thinking it may be something like a high tech voodoo doll, as in using pieces of the Titans to hurt them.

Grayven has separated from Apokolips so he may not have access to that much resources and equipment and needs to rely on other methods for some things in order to not waste what he has.

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

They are called Controllers for a reason- they have telepathic mind control powers.

Clonus' mutant half-human monsterspawn took over entire planets.

They might be able to command them to turn over and play dead.

They normally store their sun-eaters in suspended animation, it's not like they are going to feed them in between stellacides.

They might have a device to force sun-eaters into such a state.