1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Knowing your power ring was about to be useless is there any rational reason not to bond with Ophidian to take care of this before the people/world dies?

Also altered mindset doesn't mean idiot and that is the territory your getting into. With a side of classic do the same thing over and over expecting different results insanity.

2. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm surprised no one else noticed the threadmark is broken

Edit: Damn I've been ninja'd

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh oh. Is this guy a rational villain? Those are the most dangerous.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It was there when I posted.

5. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

When even an Apokiliptan says you are cuckoo for coco puffs, you're in a bad place.

6. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Hey Zoat? What was that song Pauphidian was randomly playing?

About sitting down with your inner demons for coffee or something?

CTrees likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

8. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Thank you!

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because it's one of the places with defenses that could likely kill the Ophidian if triggered.

10. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Refreshingly straightforward?

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He claims he's Scott's brother, which makes no sense.

The allegation that he's a Penguin henchman who stumbled on a Fatherbox seems far more likely.

12. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

He also seems to respect or at least understand OL

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

truly theirs was a love that was never meant to be

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Earlier, I made a comment about Vaermina always being contrarian, even if it supports Mr. Zoat and the story. This is an example of that.

Ardy, Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  15. Dappershire

Dappershire Getting out there.

Or he just needs a distraction while he does his tech thing, and a calm discussion wont reliably give him one. Paul's gettin' played. Throw her in a frictionless bubble and move forward, Lantern.

Xmaster3000 and iamnuff like this.
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He probably would, if he had access to his power ring.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"dependent"

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 40)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    21:17 GMT

I calculate her path and move to evade, then everything goes black-. It moved, the edge of the cloud moved-. I cringe in my armour as a lightning bolt hits my energy shield that isn't designed to handle that and dart back out.

Sparta's suspended in the air-. Aero-discs, she's using-.

She draws a sword and slashes at me, and this time I dodge left and try flying past her off-hand. She tries turning, but it's clumsy. The Karrakanians didn't use aero-discs, so… I suppose she hasn't had much practice? She's dropping into the black-.

The black retreats, still covering the cavernous depths of the factory but giving her enough space to regain her aerial balance.

"Careful Sparta; my control isn't that good."

"What are you even here for?"

Sparta snarls and then flies straight at me. I use my armour's cameras -caveman mode- to check, then fly for the empty space above me-. Then abort and dodge right as the dark cloud surges inward.

"Don't bother, Lantern. She's not-."

"I meant you."

New God technology works fine in here, but as I weave around the extruded tendrils of the Sun Eater I note that the owners can't necessarily capitalise on that. Sparta actually clips-

"Agh!"

-the Sun Eater as she tries to follow me but can't corner sharply enough. She comes out squinting and with her left arm trembling. Okay, a lot stronger than me, not sure how tough. If my rings were working I wouldn't worry about a New God sword, but that's not where I am now. My shield gives wide-spectrum protection but is far weaker than what I'm used to.

The blackness retreats and Sparta glares at me as if she wishes she could erase me with the intensity of her stare.

What's their goal here? Kill me and hold the planet hostage for the other Seeds? But the… What do I call them now? Karrakanians, don't care about Minosyss, saving that letting the fighting between demigods ruin it would have extremely uncomfortable cultural overtones. Athyns might go for it, but without the gods… Why not just go back to Karrakan and use the Seeds he has?

"Now why would I tell you that?"

"I've lived with Canis Minor for months. New Gods love to grandstand."

"Some of us understand deferred gratification."

Can I actually hurt Sparta? Well… Probably-. No, arm and eyes look like they're back to full effectiveness. I stripped out the crumbler gauntlets to add this energy shield so I'd just be punching, and I suspect that she's a lot better at that than me.

Doctor Impossible looks a lot more-

"I'm not."

-vulnerable, due-. I didn't take out the telepathic shields. If he was that-.

"I'm not telepathic, people are just-"

I dodge around the command platform, keeping Sparta from being able to lunge or swing effectively as she awkwardly follows me.

"-predictable."

Up onto the command platform, Doctor Impossible taking a few slow steps away from me, barely paying me any attention at all.

"Is this easily breakable?"

"It exists in more dimensions than your mortal mind can comprehend, so… No, not really."

"Imma punch it."

Sparta lands and deactivates her aero-discs, crouching slightly and drawing a knife in her left hand. Doctor Impossible holds up his right in a 'halt' gesture.

"No, wait, this could be instruct-"

She charges with a silent grimace and I move, voiding her first slice and swinging my left fist at her arm.

"-ive. Never-"

She takes the hit but doesn't appear hurt, cutting at my armour with her knife while she turns to face me again. I pull my arm aside to avoid her weapon. I want to get a better feel for her strength before trying the 'correct' way of dealing with a sword wielding opponent without using a weapon, which would be getting inside her reach. Because if it turns out that she's that much stronger than me I'd just die with no way to escape.

"-mind."

Back up, back up, see if she's berserk enough to attack Doctor Impossible's equipment. Light on the feet, use the armour's flight system and servo muscles to move faster than I should be-.

She tries a shallow slash and I slap aside the flat of the blade with my right gauntlet. Yes, you're going to have to commit more than that.

"Doctor, why not just cut your losses?"

Sparta comes at me, sword blade held near vertical and dagger ready to stab anything I use to turn it aside. Not much space to back away into, but she's thinking like an infantryman. I wait until her muscles tense for a sword swing and then rotate and drop, spinning myself to kick her legs. She spots what I'm doing a little too late but tries jumping over me anyway, meaning that rather than taking out her shins I just kick her feet hard enough to make her spin and slam face-first into part of the Seed control system.

He shrugs lazily. "Because I don't see myself losing anything either way."

Move, back away-. She kept the sword but lost hold of the dagger, grab it. Sparta's back on her feet and more cautious while Doctor Impossible is still unconcerned.

Probably won't work but fly back and stab him-. A hologram.

"Really?"

New visual location, sonic scan shows… Sound coming from somewhere else, but that's probably not where he actually is either.

"Sparta, I don't think he's actually here. Why don't you just give up?"

"Not-"

Ow!

"-here, Lantern?"

Now he's wearing knuckle dusters which radiate dark blue strands, and must be at least somewhat close to where he appears to be.

"Amazing what they can do with drones these-"

This time I advance, marching towards Sparta as she extends her blade towards me in an attempt to keep me out of dagger range.

"-days."

She makes a small slash and I slap the blade aside hard before flying into her with fist extended! I hit her face but I don't hear anything crunch, so I wrap my left arm around her right to try and force the sword into the machine-.

Gah!

Doctor Impossible hit me again, and Sparta uses-.

Wyagh!

Uses the distraction to throw me into the air! I stabilise and-. And Doctor Impossible tilts his head back, closing his eyes.

"It's too late."

Sparta glares at him. "What do you-?"

Athyns marches out of the blackness, six Seeds attached to his armour.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Started watching the first episode of series 4. A month to Mars? None of the local Lanterns prepared to give you a lift?

The Chosen One, Ardy, Doccer and 9 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

With her powers she might be able to do it.

'letting the'

The Karrakians on both sides may care since the planet may have been believed to be their second home.

Also Athyns may not go back since he doesn't know how to use the Seeds.

He may not be able to repair the planet with them.

There's your inner Goku.

'avoiding her'

Missing a "

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They might be busy and fighting in space.

In the previous season it was mentioned that the GLC was fighting either Apokalips or the Reach, so maybe that's why they didn't give them a lift.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Alexandercctv and 4 others like this.
  22. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Maybe Mars set up interdiction fields.

Unrealistic jokes aside, I wonder what a Martian-tech Dyson sphere/swarm/bubble would look like. Telekinesis should count as a way to wirelessly transfer power… Does anyone think its components would awaken into a hive mind?

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Of course, using something doesn't mean she's any good at it, unless her divinity includes some manner of 'instant expert' ability. Still, with the bad Doctor here, this fight will be tough as hell.

And confirmation Doctor Impossible is in control of the Sun-Eater, then.

Encounter Balance, of course. With all the tricks OL has built into his armour, Sparta alone would be a much lesser challenge.

Well, at least she's playing easy-to-deal-with. Full frontal assaults against a more manoeuvrable opponent? Evidently she's in no mood to fight smart.

Probably a measure of control lag, as the New God device interprets the command and translates it into the impulses a Maltusian would impart onto the control terminal...

Be glad you've got the armour at least. I'm sure it's full of many useful devices...

That would require that he work out how to use the Seeds. And perhaps it's not actually possible? I doubt Sparta wouldn't be above lying about the ability of the Seeds to do so.

Now that, we can agree on. Just consider the Renegade's flashier battles...

Great, she gets a healing factor. As for the Doctor, let's just hope he's not read the Evil Overlord List...

Oh, that asshole. He's either telepathic...

...Or he's just real good at reading people. Well, as long as he's not so good at it that he can tell what you're going to do before you do it...

...He shouldn't be that hard to deal with. I doubt he's got many of the physical enhancements some New Gods gain.

And what happens if it breaks? Do the Sun-Eaters go wild or will they go back to sleep?

Seriously, what are you even the New God of, anyway, Doc? Convoluted Plans? Supervillain Dickery? Ill-advised Taunting? :D

Wait, you're seriously thinking about letting him punch your ace-in-the-hole?

...I take it back, he's not the Anti-Mister Miracle, he's the Anti-OL. Like, all of OL's worst character traits turned up to eleven.

True. Letting a super-strong foe with a grudge get their hands on you, just ends with you getting cleaned up with a mop.

Heh, handling aggro like a boss. Not bad for a skill monkey.

Oof, I don't see that improving her mood any.

Hmm... If Sparta wins, he gets the Sun-Eaters. I suppose if OL wins, he'll just fuck off with the Seeds he has for later study, and probably Sparta as well...

Of course he's not dumb enough to stand anywhere near the fight...

Never assume, OL. I doubt it's anywhere that simple.

Goddamn invisible enemies...

No doubt he's already slipped out of melee range. And that's assuming the knuckle-dusters aren't some kind of ranged weapon that just lets him punch from a distance...

That better be some kind of feint, OL...

"Ah-ah, no tricks, Lantern..."

Yes, the joy of a double-team boss fight... Unless you can outsmart them and trap them together to be pummelled... Well, it's gonna hurt.

Uh-oh, is that good for you, or for OL?

Shit. Upside: Backup. Downside, he brought the Seeds. Just what the Doctor wanted.

I hope Athyns has managed to work out how to use their power, or this fight will just get annoying. On the other hand, it means they can turn the fight into a pair of one-one-one matchups. And Doctor Impossible is not likely to be much of a threat physically, even with his toys. So with a little luck, this can be over quickly, one way or another.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

During Renegade's imprisonment it was speculated that he may be connected to bondage or imprisonment.

A decent parallel to Scott Free.

He and Truggs may have a lot in common.

25. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

avoiding? (previously unknown technical term)

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's the sword fighting term for what he did.

27. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

So help me, I lol'd

28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

It's Young Justice. Adults can't be helpful.

Ardy, Vorian, Wetbananas and 3 others like this.
  29. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I love and hate action scenes like this one.

On one hand it's visceral and fast-paced.

On the other I have only half of an idea of what actually happened here. Also unless I read this completely wrong I think one of the characters is suddenly a robot.

So like usual, I'm going to have to wait for the comments in the next chapter to make things more clear... And then retroactively pretend that I was smart enough to follow along the whole time.

30. oct9010

oct9010 .

Gee, it’s too bad OL didn’t bring some kind of gun to this knife fight. Say, a chemically-propelled sidearm that he knows works inside this room because he tested it once already.