1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Doccer

Doccer Not too sore, are you?

That implies a degree of sentience to them. And certainly an ability to grow intellectually. Even only as a pet there are squirrel and cat lanterns. Not even including Teeki if going by cannon examples.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 38)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th September 2012
    21:08 GMT

"New Cronus to Karrakanian battleship. Come in, Thiva."

Much as I'd like to chase after Sparta, she shouldn't be able to set off a Sun Eater at will, and there's the small matter of the fighting on New Cronus to deal with. Athyns passed his place at the communication lectern over to one of the other Ascendants while Pontico talks to the commanding officers of the various cruisers. Sparta isn't quite excommunicate traitoris, but from the sounds of it everyone's going to want some bloody good answers for this.

"Thiva here. You… Have retaken New Cronus, then?"

"Sort of. We've got a truce. Sparta was hiding… Something, and fled rather than give an account of herself."

"Sparta… Fled?"

"Yeah, I don't understand it either. The gods are down, she had their power in her hands, and she refused to say which Apokolipitan traded the technology you're using to her or why she lied about it. Something weird is going on, but… I don't know what. Look, point is, don't worry about being paroled. I don't see any realistic prospect of the fighting starting up again, so you can either bring your people over or just stay where you are and work on repairs."

"Could I..? Speak to someone..?"

I step aside.

"Pontico?"

He walks over and addresses the communication system.

"He's telling the truth. Call the support ships. We've got a lot of wounded, and… And we're treating theirs as well. This whole thing-."

He turns his head away slightly, grimacing.

"Pontico..?"

"What is there to say? This was pointless!" He takes a moment to master himself. "Yes, return. The fighting's over, and it won't start again if I have anything to say about it."

She looks at him with concern.

"Alright. Just-. Alright."

I see her step away from the communication system at her end before it shuts down.

"Ah, Athyns? Can you use these Seeds?"

A couple of the other Ascendants look up at that. He glances at them for a moment before returning his attention to me.

"Why?"

"By now, Sparta's in the factory. My rings barely function there."

"You used the orbs-."

"By using Sparta's own magic to steal control from her. Without my rings, I doubt that I'll be able to do that."

"I have no desire to take Rhea's place."

"But would you be prepared to if there were no other adequate candidates? Look, I don't know exactly what the gods had planned or what Sparta has planned or what Rhea had planned. But I've seen Apokolips."

I have the hologram projector show a to-scale image of it next to Minosyss.

"I wouldn't want to make anyone live there. I don't particularly care who helps Minosyss into the industrial era, or undoes the environmental damage Karrakan has suffered… Do you?"

"I… Ultimately, no."

"It's a shock, I appreciate. But I'm afraid that leaders don't have the luxury of breaking down in religious horror until after it's all over."

He nods. "Yes, you are correct."

"Okay, I-."

"Illustres!" Hinon's head appears over my ring. "Respond at once!"

"Illustres responding, Controller Hinon. Things have got a bit busy here. We-."

"Yes, I realise that. What happened?"

"People from the other side of a Karrakanian religious dispute turned up with a small fleet. I've got things mostly under control, but-"

She gives me an incredulous look.

"-the leader of one of the factions is in league with one or more Apokoliptians and is planning something. Please ask Dox to send a survey team to Karrakan to assess the damage while I finish up here."

"Very well. What cut you off?"

I glance at the Seeds.

"Not entirely sure. Something about using fragments of titanic magic combined with New God technology, though it… Might only work because of whatever's going on in this system."

"Do I have to explain to you why a New God gaining the ability to-?"

"No, I spotted that. I'll get back in touch when I have something definite. Illustres out."

I look at the assembled Ascendants.

"Do any of you have an issue with Athyns taking temporary control of the Seeds?"

There's a moment of hesitation that tells me that they're really inexperienced, then Pontico nominates himself spokesman.

"And he will-. He will give them back?"

Athyns shakes his head. "To who?"

"Me." I shrug. "I have no stake in your dispute, and I can't use them myself. I can hold onto them until you reach an agreement about what to do with them going forward. I'm happy to volunteer the Orange Lantern Corps' services in helping with the resettlement of Karrakan so that you don't need them, or I can act as a guarantor of any agreement you reach. But if we're agreed that Sparta needs to be compelled to answer, we… Need them."

Pontico bows his head, while Athyns looks at me sceptically. "You know that I don't know how to use them?"

"How much prior exposure did Sparta have?" I shrug. "Learn quickly."

There's a flare of light, and we all turn to stare out of the front window as a portion of the surface of the planet below… Darkens.

"Athyns, how many people-?"

He grabs the Seeds. "That's near the factory. The region was evacuated when we became aware of it. But the neighbouring regions-."

"Everyone who's coming, get to the teleportarium. I'll fly down and try to keep things under control. Go."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  3. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This is not something a genre savvy end goal prioritizing rationalist should be speaking.

It's not that monologues are bad per se, it's that giving your foes actionable intelligence on how your are countering them, and the direction they need to be looking stop that is dumb. Why is OL telling them the plan while the plan is happening and they have a chance to counter it if they know what exactly is going on?

As opposed to:
    OL takes control of half the seeds.
    THIS. IS. SPARTA!: HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS? I Demand you tell me, or I will hold my breath like a 5 year old!
    OL: Telling you the specific details of how I'm doing it would directly counter my objectives here; better you waste time finding it out yourself, and possibly waste resources if you come to the wrong conclusion. Also, I'm not a Republic serial villain. No.

Instead of Paul volunteering the info unprompted.
    I think corrective action needs to be taken.
    Gets out spray bottle.
    Sprays Mr Zoat on the nose with it.
    Sprays him again for good measure.

"Bad Kitty! No villainous monologing!"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't assume, it makes an ass out of you and me.

'We've'

Maybe remove the ,

'traded'

'at them for'

Through videos, since you didn't go there when the League went.

Perfect look when dealing with Paul and his reassurances.

'though it...'

'to use'

Depends if Rhea showed them to her.

Oh no.

Weren't Sun Eaters in the comics something like giant black clouds?

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

The point here was toget Sparta to understand her posotion to get her to back down. He gives people the chance to act rationally, remember?

I want ti say these aliens backed down to quicjly for teenagers raised in religious indoctrination, but they're aliens, so human standards need not apply.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, squirrel like alien lanterns.

Also there was a future shown in Animal Man with a whale Green Lantern. I'm sure an oath in whale song is certainly something.

Suneaters are depicted as animals, Animal Man can even emulate them, but DC's Space Vampire Starbreaker claimed to be what Suneaters mature into.

Probably not true in Prime continuity because Hal snogged Starbreaker's niece, spacefaring animals that eventually evolve into sapients seem unlikely to form a society or keep track of familial relations.

And they are extremely chuuni, planet eaters should not form a society around being Bela Legosi fanboys.

Cuchulin, FourthPear, Doccer and 2 others like this.
  7. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Don't think there are any actual squirrel Lanterns. Squirrel-like aliens, yes, but those are a fully sapient, advanced species. And Dex-Starr had a Red ring, which... while he's a smart murdercat, Red doesn't necessarily require much in the way of higher thinking. Even if RedPaul's reality is the standard for all WTR Red rings (i.e. users aren't permanently set into beast/rage mode), their abilities are generally of a more straightforward sort.

Giving an Orange Ring to an entity that has no higher motives than "There is a sun. I am going to eat it" and degrees of self-preservation is not something to do just because one can.

More or less. Though the one from All-Star Superman was just some sort of squid-like tentacle thing.

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Shouldn't does not mean can't. The sooner you get people on the ground there capable of fighting her, the better, OL. And while I doubt the Battleship is in any shape to be involved in that fight, I'm sure those aboard might be willing.

And that alone should tell Thiva how topsy-turvy the situation is.

Just don't get any ideas about starting the fight back up.

Yeah, probably best to let someone she recognises confirm it.

Given that most of the garrison is Karrakanian, that's no great hardship. If anything, this whole tussle has felt like a very bloody fight between children.... And now an adult has stopped them fighting, they're licking their wounds and making friends...

Good fellow. That sort of attitude will likely carry you well into whatever happens afterwards.

...No, I'm just imagining the slight affection there, aren't I?

Yeah, probably a good idea to check before going haring off after her...

Which limits him to his armour and any New God weaponry he's able to get his hands on. Which Sparta can likely subvert on sight given half a chance...

Don't underestimate yourself, demigod. You bear the Ophidian's Heart, and I suspect an Embodiment has a little more metaphorical oomph than a mere god.

There's a lot of unknowns in this kerfuffle, isn't there? Still, the time pressure precludes pausing to find out more.

And I get the feeling Minosyss looks quite a bit smaller. Though it's at least not as on fire... Yet.

And if you do, best to do it in private. Don't want to upset the morale of the troops.

Oh, finally! OL better call for backup. Everything he can get, chop-chop!

"And why is the Ophidian snarling and hissing in the general direction of Minosyss?"

Come on, Hinon, it's OL. You should have expected something to happen.

Yes, please do guess.

Crud, he's not getting backup, is he?

And as soon as the connection clears, Hinon begins banging her head against the desk. Even if she has to manifest one out of thin air to do so.

If so, have your say, because I don't think you're going to have time to complain later...

...Given that he works for their rightful owners (as far as anyone can tell...)

And better in the hands of one person than six. Though having additional numbers down there wouldn't hurt.

...For all we know, she was taught how to activate one by her sponsor, then used Phoebe's to enhance her intellect to easily make use of the rest.

Crap, Sparta found the trigger, because that sounds a lot like a Sun-Eater's energy absorption field effect.

Let's hope she's only nudged a juvenile awake. Because the fully-grown ones are not going to play nice with anything.

And all hell just broke loose, hasn't it? The excrement just hit the ceiling-mounted impellor and Sparta's looking to flip the table. I have the feeling not everyone going down there is going to walk away from this. Let's just hope OL doesn't have to repeat Hal Jordan's finale performance during Final Night.

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen to Melinoë.

Silveraith, BoML and Lakanna like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Technically only one side is largely composed of children, or teenagers.

The Titans are at least in their thirties, about Paul's age.

It's difficult to predict the type of stupid Paul will get involved in.

11. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Paul's dispassionate, focused on the picture, and has an understated contempt for genre conventions that overpowers even Warhammer Famtasy Paul's hatred for the Chaos Gods. He is none of the things you said.

Genre Savvy is the purview of Common Sense Paul.

12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Has it been mentioned which seeds Paul has and which Sparta has?

13. Mr Zoat

If the aim were to beat her in a fight, you would be correct. He's not trying to do that, he's trying to talk her down.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Depends which comic and which bit of the Sun Eater.
    Ouch. I mean, yes, but ouch.

14. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Best Girl needs our help!

Quick, pray to her!

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Are the Titan Seed-gods Karrakanians or some other species or artificial creations of Rhea using the Titan Seeds similar to Diana and Donna? I'm still a bit hazy on the differences but Paragon brought up the latter comparison before so I assume it's that? I need to reread the episode after it's complete.

I'm wondering if Superboy, blessed by Helios as he is, would be able to use the Titan Seeds, even if just the ones associated with Helios's parents Hyperion and Theia.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They're creations of Rhea.

In mythology Rhea is connected to motherhood and fertility so she may be able to have children without a partner.

17. scooterboo

scooterboo Getting some practice in, huh?

I can't believe it took me this long to realize the pun of Athens vs Sparta.

18. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Sparta might not be activating any Sun Eaters, but she is certainly doing something around the factor area.

Can Boom Tubes be used to steal whole areas? Send the factory and all the Sun Eaters in them to her sponsors? That is a terrifying idea.

On another note, Mr Zoat you check out new season of YJ yet or naw? I understand if not interested at all at this point, just curious if you had an opinion in general on direction of show.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Phillip Duxbury

Phillip Duxbury Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Question. If Larfreeze's ring could be destroyed and recovered... could Teekl? Last we saw of the cat it was a construct, so dispersing into the Honden is not impossible.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Versed in the lewd.

Are Hinon and Dox ever going to learn that they need to have at least 2 Lanterns accompanying Paul during missions due to the almost certainty of his missions going sideways?

21. Mr Zoat

I'll probably watch an episode tomorrow.

22. Ganurath

Should've deleted the Chaos Moon.

Prince Charon, Doccer and Mr Zoat like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Doccer

Doccer Not too sore, are you?

Chaos Moon?

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's just asking them to leave the Corps.

If they see the type of shit Paul gets involved in then they'll do everything in their power to get as far away from him as possible.

Manga did it after the giant Star Conqueror fiasco.

mastermenthe and Ngamer11 like this.
  26. Ganurath

In Warhammer Fantasy, the world has two moons. One of them is made of solid warpstone and summons daemons across the world every apogee, which is once a year. That the version of Paul in the setting was famed for getting elves pregnant instead of removing the mass of warpstone in a wave of citrus indignation visible across the sky despite his ability to absorb- It's been corrected.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Versed in the lewd.

I think I found a few errors.

Systems should be capitalized.

That should say 'Systems'.

28. Mr Zoat

No, he's using it as a description rather than a name.
    Thank you, corrected.

29. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 39)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    21:14 GMT

People's desires shift when they're terrified; the short term becomes even more apparent than normal and longer aims become occluded almost entirely. A giant black textureless cloud appearing on the surface of your planet near a place which beings claiming to be gods have told you is very dangerous will do that.

I do not like the feel. It makes them simple.

The Ophidian moves around me, becomes the area around me, living as the desires of the panicking people.

We better fix it then, hadn't we?

I step

in, outside the area of the cloud but close enough that I can fly to the factory's entrance relatively quickly. Sun Eaters… They don't look like much. They certainly don't look like suns, not if they haven't fed recently anyway. Rather, they're clouds of ionised gas which use exotic energy absorption methods to suck just about any sort of energy that touches them. It looks like a perfect black body because it's absorbing… Almost the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

A glance aside shows one of the obvious consequences of that; the local grass and tree analogues have frozen solid as a novel life form designed to suck the heat from stars begins doing the same thing here. This is only a tiny part of a Sun Eater, but even this much exposure will kill the planet if it stays here.

I'm just glad that the Controllers didn't put it away fed. If they had, we'd be talking about Minosyss in the past tense.

Okay. These things aren't mentally complex enough to have language. The Controllers didn't build in commands because… That's basically impossible, and it was easier to just carry them to a place and release them. They can die, but it requires a rather powerful weapon and… Minosyss, past tense. They don't really drain power ring bubble fields, but…

The factory might shut down my shield, in which case…

I modify my armour, increasing insulation and adding exotic energy barriers which should prevent it draining me. The electric and plasma discharges that occur inside shouldn't be too much of a problem at this point in its feeding cycle; they're not that strong.

Uhh.

I try to feel for Sparta's desire set, but I get nothing.

Right, fine. I've got a map, and it's not as if there's a lot of stuff in there.

I fly at full speed into the blackness, using markers from the local terrain to judge my location before everything disappears. If anything much has changed then I'm about to ram into something at high velocity, but this part of a Sun Eater doesn't have a lot of mass to it. It probably hasn't altered the shape of the tunnel, and freezing the ground… Probably won't make it cave in worse.

Probably, probably.

From the speed I'm going, that certainly seems to be-.

There goes my shield bubble. My exotic shield takes the load, meaning that I have the distinction of being the only pink Orange Lantern. Fighting with this thing is going to be a pain, but less of a pain than freezing to death in the coils of a Sun Eater.

"Orange Lantern to New Cronus. Please respond."

"Orange Lantern Illustres to Controller Hinon. Please respond."

Ophidian?

Nothing again. About what I expected.

Since I'm not delaying so that I can sound Coeus out or paying careful attention to my surroundings, the journey down is a lot faster than it was the first time. Okay, assuming that she's at the control station then I should drop down here, and-.

And the black isn't there any longer. It's behind me and below me and above-

"…twelve stones, Sparta. This isn't exactly a simple business."

-me and who's that?

"They already called for a Lantern."

"Yes, I noticed that. You used the Dream Exhorter before making your attack?"

"Yes!"

"So he was here already. Unfortunate, but these things happen. You should worry more about what comes next."

Two figures on the control platform. Sparta, looking a little more like the rest of us in texture. And… A figure in black and purple. Doctor Impossible, not that one. Not sure exactly what he does or why he's here, but it would make sense for him to be the source of Sparta's New God technology.

Doesn't tell me who his source is. Is he working on his own initiative or at the behest of another?

"They'll still follow me. They can't restore Karrakan without me!"

"That's probably not true. Tell me; did this Orange Lantern offer to help them with that?"

"Yes. But only with the planet itself."

"The Orange Lantern Corps has magicians. They will almost certainly spot the other problems."

I'll definitely look for them, thank you. Getting a slightly better angle from underneath… The Seeds which Sparta kept are plugged into some sort of New God machinery which floats above the control platform, and they're doing that 'additional spatial dimension' thing that Sparta was doing a few minutes ago.

"Are the parasites at least suffering?"

"Not yet. As I said, without all twelve Seeds there's not much I can do. I did tell you that you should give them to me at the start."

"I needed to show some sign of my victory!"

"How did that work out for you?"

"They will come back to me. They must."

"That's hardly my problem. But if you can't get me the other Seeds, then… Well… I'm not sure what you're expecting me to do here."

"Teleport up to the bridge of New Cronus and take the Seeds, just as you did when you took it from Phoebe!"

"Firstly, catching a target distracted and alone is a very different proposition to taking them aware and defended. Secondly, they might be leaching the power but they're not dependent on it. Thirdly, the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps is directly below us and listening in on our conversation."

Surprised it took him this long, really.

"What?"

I float upwards, just passing over the lip of the control platform.

"Look, I don't know what's going on, but you can still mend your relationship with your Ascendants. I'm happy to help out with whatever's going wrong on-."

"Lantern." Doctor Impossible shakes his head, his hands moving over the console. "She's not that rational. Just fight it out and sort out who was right later."

"That's-."

Sparta leaps at me, arms outstretched!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  30. Citizen

Citizen Experienced.

"That's...disappointing."
    (I presume is what Paul was about to say)