1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I wonder if she'll try to adopt him.

Gantradies likes this.
  2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is the plan to go forward and establish leadership with no Gods? I think that could work cause after everything I can see them coming to the conclusion all Gods are terrible.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The plan at present is to tend to the living and bury the dead. 'How should a people best be ruled' is a question that will keep.

4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The context around this sentence suggests that the Apokoliptians can get into the computers using the Sun Eaters. That doesn't sound right, but I actually don't know what you did mean.

5. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

My depiction of today's update:[​IMG]

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Man, he sure forgot his interest in an entire group of god's that do something fast.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Donna was Troia.

Zoat left out Xanthi, from the adorable puffball aliens.

Other seeds were named Corinthia, Argos, and Idalium.

8. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Trying to keep track of how many things "them" refers to here:

Here, "them" refers to the Sun Eaters.

Does it still refer to the Sun Eaters here? I thought they were using the seed things to get into Maltusian systems.

Is this still the Eaters? The seeds? The New Gods?

9. Bud-E

In Zoat's story aren't all of Rhea's Demi-Gods from the same alien species?

10. Mr Zoat

Yes. Due to changing Donna's origin, the original version wouldn't work.
    Let me clear that up.

11. Stsword

Yes, you should just ignore that Sparta and Athyns are obviously not the same species since one is green with eyes of a solid color and the other is brown with eyes that have whites, pupils, and irises. :)

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, in the comics Sparta came from a place called Synriannaq, while Athyns came from Karrakan.

I guess Zoat can make them be of the same species here but just a different ethnicity.

Bud-E likes this.
  13. Stsword

Although now that you mention it there's no reason why Karrakan couldn't have more than one native sapient species.

It's not like DC Earth didn't have metal people and those fish guys Zoat likes bringing up in this fic.

Caerwen and Vorian like this.
  14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know? She's rather cute when she's angry.

Ardy likes this.
  15. Bud-E

Does Donna have an official origin in DC? I know it changed a lot, but is there one that people say is definitive cannon?

16. Stsword

They are all canon, that's the problem.

I think her current origin is that she's a murder golem made by misandrist Amazons upset that Diana didn't want to Lorena Bobbitt the entirety of Man's World who was then brainwashed with memories of growing up Diana's sister so she could develop past being a murder golem made by psychotically misandrist Amazons.

Her last origin before Flashpoint was that she was a mirror image of Diana made real temporarily, I think by the Neanderthal Amazon, not sure, who was kidnapped by a supervillain and was reincarnated magically into one crappy life after another.

Honestly I prefer the Titan seed origin, or even the "normal girl altered by the purple healing ray into being given Diana's powers on a biomolecular level."

17. Threadmarks: Sungate (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    21:57 GMT

Waving the cheerful-looking Sassy Saddles goodbye, Rarity walks out of her Canterlot fancy shop, sees me waiting and manages not to sigh.

"So?"

"She knows somepony she thinks will be suitable. Naturally, I will need to check the quality of their work to make certain that they're up to my standard, but we both think that this will work."

I nod and fall in alongside her as she trots down the street. Canterlot streets are curious. Despite not having motor vehicles they are clearly divided into pavements and roads, and far wider than the relatively few carts now in evidence require. Maybe things get very busy during the early hours of the morning?

"Glad to hear it. So… We good?"

"We are average. I have no greater fondness for you than I do somepony I have never met."

I nod. "I'll take it. How are things with the Diamond Dogs?"

Rarity lets out a quiet throat-clearing noise.

"We have… An arrangement. They're willing to trade tools and fresh food for a portion of their gem stones, and I take the time to guide them to the best quality deposits when I visit."

"You see? Now you can get what you need for your work without theft or child labour!"

"…serve to keep us divided, unable…"

Of course, I… Rather imagine that Spike would prefer it the other way around.

She cough-throat clears, then raises her right forehoof to her mouth for a moment before lowering it back to the pavement.

"Yes. Well. I'm sure that we've both learned something valuable from the experience."

"I think I'll quit while I'm all square."

"…free from the tyranny of…"

"So you have learned something."

"Ah… Could be. You want me to open a boom tube back to Ponyville?"

"I think that I will take a little time to peruse the boutiques of Canterlot. Competitor research, as it were."

"Fine with me. You going to make your own way back, or do you need me to hang around?"

"I'm.. perfectly…" Rarity looks past me at some sort of pony street preacher who is being widely ignored by the few passers-by, and gives her a slight frown before returning her attention to me. "Perfectly able to locate the station without you."

"No fur off my nose. Just thought you might appreciate the faster journey. Guess I'll see you later, then."

"I suppose that it's possible." She looks me over, then turns and trots towards… Another clothing shop.

Meh.

I'm getting a few stares, but it looks like the pony reaction to crazy street preachers is the same as the human reaction: head down and walk past them. As a result, no one is stopping to look at the giant alicorn. Including the crazy street preacher, who's so far into her spiel that I'm not even sure if she's aware of her surroundings.

Ah, okay. Not much going on back on Earth that needs my attention, Vega's settling down nicely, I've returned my relations with the Bearerherd to neutral and Luna's been flicking her tail in what I think is meant to be a suggestive way at me lately. No need to go home just yet.

"…experience true equality!"

You know what? I'm going to see what that's all about.

I amble in the direction of the mare now taking a moment to breathe, and slowly becoming aware of exactly how much attention the locals are paying her. Her muzzle sets in a discordant protosnarl as she stares after a nearby couple, who spot her expression and hurry away a little faster.

"Hey."

She turns her face towards me, snarl vanishing as she fixes her expression into 'politely persuasive' for a moment before realising what I am and blinking in confusion. But the sales script has already been activated.

"Hello, sir! Have you come to hear how all ponies can be truly equal?"

"I was wondering what this was about. Pretty sure all citizens have equality under the law."

"'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread'. But is that really all we can hope for?"

Probably-crazy pony has a pale lilac pelt and a purple mane, with a cutie mark of an equals sign. Explains that, then.

"Probably. Different ponies have different abilities and desires, so there are always going to be differences."

"But what if they didn't."

"Ah… In… What sense?"

"What if all ponies had the same abilities?"

"I don't think that's possible. I mean, if someone spends time working on developing their skills at something then they're going to get better at it. And it's just inefficient to constantly switch jobs."

"But that presupposes that anypony can get as good at another job as another pony. And as long as we have cutie marks, that will never be true."

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh?"

"Yes." Her grin is more than a little manic. "Think about it. A pony with a cutie mark in… I don't know, snowboarding, will have a greater understanding of snowboarding than anypony else, no matter how experienced they are! Eventually they'll get to the point where they can't have a meaningful conversation with anypony who doesn't have that mark about it. And many ponies make their special talent the centre of their lives."

"Ok-."

She nods enthusiastically. "And that's why we have to abolish them."

"Abolish them?"

"Yes."

"You know, I've had this theory that they're actually parasites, drawn to the pony body when they discover their special talents."

"R-really?" She blinks, then shifts back into salespony mode. "I mean, great! And not at all crazy!"

"Right." I nod. "Glad you see it that way. What is your proposed fix?"

"I was able to find a wand that lets me remove cutie marks and place them in crystal prisons, where they can't separate us from our fellow ponies any longer!"

I nod. "Neat. And then you could network them."

Another blink. "Network them?"

"Sure. Like… Each knot is a special talent, and each strand of rope is a connection from one pony to another. You could give everyone access to everyone else's special talents. That way, anyone can step into anyone else's role without any loss of efficiency."

She tilts her head a little to the left, frowning. "I.. don't…"

"Once you've extracted the special talent, you could create an entire library of special talents. Let ponies swap talents in and out, or… Allow them to connect to the entire group of marks. Let them draw on it, or… Maybe even draw on all of them at once so that every pony has every talent."

"That…" Her eyes widen. "That's brilliant!"

"Well, you know, alicorns are the most equal of ponies, being equally earth pony, pegasus pony and unicorn pony. Why don't I introduce you to-?"

There's a teal flash, and she's gone.

Huh.

What a strange pony.

"I'm.. perfectly…" Rarity looks past me at some sort of pony street preacher-. Starlight Glimmer? Been a few weeks since I've seen her, and Luna hasn't mentioned her. Wonder what she's been up to? Our Town is nowhere near Canterlot. Starlight's being widely ignored by the few passers-by, and Rarity gives her a slight frown before returning her attention to me. "Perfectly able to locate the station without you."

"No fur off my nose. Just thought you might appreciate the faster journey. Guess I'll see you later, then."

"I suppose that it's possible." She looks me over, then turns and trots towards… Another clothing shop.

Meh.

I'm getting a few stares, but it looks like the pony reaction to crazy street preachers is the same as the human reaction: head down and walk past them. As a result, no one is stopping to look at the giant alicorn. Including Starlight Glimmer herself, who's so far into her spiel that I'm not even sure if she's aware of her surroundings.

Ah, okay. Not much going on back on Earth that needs my attention, Vega's settling down nicely, I've returned my relations with the Bearerherd to neutral and Luna's been flicking her tail in what I think is meant to be a suggestive way at me lately. No need to go home just yet.

"…experience true equality!"

You know what? I'm going to see what that's all about.

I amble in the direction of the mare now taking a moment to breathe, and slowly becoming aware of exactly how much attention the locals are paying her. Her muzzle sets in a discordant protosnarl as she stares after a nearby couple, who spot her expression and hurry away a little faster.

"Hey."

She turns her face towards me, snarl vanishing as she fixes her expression into 'politely persuasive' for a moment before realising who I am and blinking in confusion. I can see almost the exact moment she moves her mouth to start her sales script and then clamps down as she recognises me.

"He-. Uh. Hello s-. Grayven, hello Grayven."

She shakes her head, ears flopping down.

I look up at the large equals sign banner behind her, and then down-. The grey equals sign on her haunches has been replaced by a stylised purple star with a waft of teal smoke rising off it. Fits her pelt and mane better, though I'm not sure how it fits her outlook.

"What happened to your cutie mark?"

"Oooh. Ah. That's ah…" She sighs. "The equals sign was painted on. I wanted to show ponies how committed I was to the cause of equality."

"And that's your actual mark?"

She nods solemnly. "Yes. My special talent is magic."

I-. Hang on. "Sunset Shimmer, magic, Twilight Sparkle, magic, Starlight Glimmer, also magic."

"Ah…"

"Should we be looking out for a mare named Nightfall Twinkle?"

"No, that's not how.. it…" She raises her right forehoof to her chin and looks thoughtful. "I don't think that's how it works. Though ponies do often develop talents related to their names."

"Yeah, I noticed that too. Do their parents get magic intuition?"

"I don't know. I could never get anypony to agree to let me study it." She gives a quiet snort and bows her head slightly. "I don't understand how so few other ponies are interested in this!"

"In my experience, intelligent species don't like reflecting on their underlying assumptions. Questioning cutie marks? That's more than any of them want to think about."

"You proved that at your talk."

"So what are you doing here?"

"I'm trying to persuade more ponies to volunteer for my experiments. I've had… Some success-"

"Already?"

"-with-. Ah, yes?"

"Because I was expecting something this complicated to take years."

"Oh. Ah, thanks. I talked the zebra alchemist Zecora into telling me how the cutie pox potion worked. I can replicate it no problem, but fine control is… Ah… Getting.. there."

"Well, you've already made more progress than anyone else in the history of Equestria. Feel proud."

"Thank you." She stands up a little straighter. "I will."

"Though if I might suggest..? I don't think random street corners is the best place to go for volunteers of magical experiments. Have you considered older students from the School for Gifted Unicorns?"

"I was planning on taking the volunteers back to Our Town…"

"I could probably talk them into letting you use their lab space."

"Oh. Um. That.. would be great." She hops down off the stage and trots over to me. "I'm a little surprised that you're being this supportive. Most ponies…"

"Well, you know, alicorns are the most equal of ponies, being equally earth pony, pegasus pony and unicorn pony. Let's go track down the dean…"

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  18. Mr Zoat

The original Teen Titans writers didn't realise that Wonder Tot wasn't a separate character to Wonder Woman, so wrote her in.

19. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

All ponies are equal, but alicorns are more equal.

20. DonLyn

DonLyn Getting out there.

I'm a bit confused. Didn't Paulven already meet equal sign pony at his 'cutie marks are parasites' presentation?

21. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

And...doesn't Grayven KNOW about MLP?

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe remove one 'now'

If I remember correctly he had a crush on Rarity, so yeah he may be upset that he can't help her out.

You know what she likes.

This is bound to be interesting.

In the Chinese sense.

'Not much'

Given her spiel I'm betting it's connected to cutie marks.

This is basically a wonderful showing of what you should do when renegade talks and you don't want to get hurt.

Compliment his ideas even if you think he's crazy.

Well this will either end in tragedy or in something good.

This is why you don't leave the Renegade unsupervised.

23. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Same here.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep.

So Zoat, did you forget about this or is this someone else?

He did spend centuries in Sheeda land and his memory wasn't that good, so it's possible that he forgot.

25. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Wait, didn't we already have that talk here?

26. Mr Zoat

Maybe? I couldn't find it when I did a search.
    Ah, damn it.

Give me a few hours.
    Thank you, corrected.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:D Well, I guess my usual post'll have to wait till then. See you in the morning, my time.

I'll still throw my original version up here:
    So, it'll work out well. And you were concerned? Seriously, Earth fashion has been doing this sort of thing for years. Perhaps, just maybe, Grayven might know what he's talking about, hmm?

Forward planning back in the day? I can't imagine the designers of Canterlot wouldn't have wanted to ensure they wouldn't have to remodel the streets at some point...

Your indifference fills me with... Meh.

Heh, she was hoping he'd have forgotten about that, wasn't she?

And the Dogs get fresh tools and good food regularly. Win-win all round.

Yes, but he's old enough that he's starting to think with his little head more often...

Like 'Don't make judgements based on first impressions'? I seem to recall you weren't particularly impressed with Grayven back then...

Yes, folks, it is possible. ...And what the devil is that background chatter? It sounds... Heretical.

And I rather expect she's not a fan of the thundering comings and goings of a Boom Tube.

Aw, not wanting a bit of prestige being seen walking about with a handsome Alicorn? Then again, Luna might get a little jealous.

Though the longer, the better in 'long time, no see' in her opinion, I bet.

Just make sure she isn't frothing at the mouth. That could be bad.

Ah, Random Encounters. Sounds like Grayven just rolled the d100 and got 99.

Yes, my dear, scaring away possible recruits is possibly not the best idea.

...Wait, I recognise that philosophical bent...

...I know most people would be pretty happy with that. And I doubt there are any homeless ponies around Canterlot.

Yep, that's Starlight Glimmer. Either someone forgot they've already met, or the Renegade's memory is still a bit swiss cheesy after his little close encounter with his counterpart.

...No wonder people were looking at her as if she's a little cracked...

Yeas, the old 'Jack of all trades, master of none' dilemma. Sometimes, you need someone very good at what they do (even if what they do isn't pretty, huh, Logan?)

Or at least make use of it in their day job, eh, Rarity?

...And here's where it gets double-heretical.

Please, don't encourage the crazy lady, Grayven...

...A Wand, yes... I can jsut see Grayven asking to see it, only to discover 'oops, fake!'

ah, a concept Ponies wouldn't quite have an equivalent for... Not in the way Grayven's using it, anyway.

Uh, oh. I can already see the ideas forming...

...To be fair, she could probably manage it. Though I wouldn't want to see the mistakes made along the way.

Well, Season Five is going to be off to an extra-tough start for the Mane Six, it seems, if she can pull it off.

...I'm guessing Grayven had not seen Season Five before he got inserted ...

Ah, the joy of random encounters. Sometimes you can head off trouble before it starts... Other times, you inadvertantly set the next encounter to hard mode. Still, at least Grayven isn't getting hostility from the Mane Six now, just in case he needs another dose of Harmony if or when Grayven-16 raises his mulleted head.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Luna is going to ban you from talking to other pony's after this...

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm going to go with no.

But that is a valid judgment of his character.

It's not the most elegant thing.

Also Rarity may get annoyed at being asked how she scored such a high match, while she herself knows that renegade is an asshole.

I doubt crazy street preachers have the best ideas.

You know full well that he's going to encourage her.

Have you learned nothing of his character?

Like every single pony losing their cutie marks and not being able to access them again, which could lead to dangerous situations where they need them, like a doctor losing his cutie mark connected to healing and being unable to heal any of his patients.

Even if he did he may have forgotten about it, what with the centuries in Sheeda land and the fact that he may not be renegade but Actually Grayven who has his memories and had some personality traits augmented by Artemis.

But he may gain hostility later on.

30. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

This is completely understandable, Mr. Zoat. With a story as expansive as your small details can slip through the cracks. Even after rereading the story I still sometimes miss chapters I remember reading on a previous attempt.

I still can’t find the chapter where Marvel Paul meets Hela. I’ve somehow read every other chapter of that side story but not that one.

TopHatWearer and RichardWhereat like this.