1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, Ponies seem really disinclined to worry about anything outside of their herd's territory. In modern terms, their town or city. Probably some kind of instinct tied to their nature as equines. If the threat isn't immediately visible, then surely it no longer exists... :p

...She really doesn't do well with mornings, does she?

Well, Ahuizotl had to get goons from somewhere... It's not like there's a rent-a-thug agency for this sort of thing.

...Actually do Pony communities even have police, other than something like the Royal Guard? I would assume smaller communities have some manner of shire reeve... I would have to assume larger communities like Manehattan have a police force.

Against who? Celestia?

Ah, comedic overreaction... For when you really need to drive a point home.

Pfff, ha ha, no. :rolleyes:

Hopefully while giving her a look so laden with smug, you'd think a Lizard was giving it.

I mean, it is kind of her thing, these days. Even if managing it only really takes a few minutes at a time.

Oh, she can learn! :p

Which probably makes the times when things get a little confused in Equestria (Like the Tirek crisis) concerning for other nations...

Heck, for all anyone knows, they handled the workings of the Sun long, long before Discord's little period of misrule.

Though she could probably make a good legal case under the logic of 'Well, no-one else was taking care of it...'

o_O My god, you actually made her double-facepalm... Er, face-hoof. Well done!

Well, that would make dating her sister kind of awkward.

No, Dash, this is not out of jealousy.

...Huh. Maybe it is, just a little, then?

I think Chrysalis would need a lot more love energy to manage that. If she even cared to.

Yes, never experiment when your test subjects are not numerous enough to have a breeding population.

I mean... It's been a thousand years. And she started out as a relatively normal pony. Who's to say there wasn't a special somepony long ago? Though such a pony would likely be remembered, if Celestia had anything to say about it...

I mean, it might well require a certain level of power that freshly elevated Alicorns can't produce. Even if a young alicorn is equal to a hundred Unicorns... What if it took two hundred to move the sun? Three hundred?

Unfortunately, since it never got activated, we'll never know...

Gee, you think? Really got to think before you smash, little pony.

Boy, your point must be lofty if it can fly over a pegasus' head. :p

...You could have managed that simply by breaking one. Either it's irreplacable, or he has to spend time remaking it. Either way, his plan is foiled.

...Oooh, that's a loud silence. :D

As opposed to destroying a valuable artefact of pre-Equestrian civilisation that could have benefited from having Unicorn scholars study it...

And that's what Grayven tries to do: keep the big picture in mind. ...Doesn't always work for him, because Grayven, but hey...

At least she's reasonably quick on the uptake when you lay it out straight like that.

Well, this is a treat. Always amusing to see Grayven teaching one of the Mane Six a lesson about unfamiliar and complicated subjects. Is it just me, or is he taking Dash under his wing, so to speak? Looking to shape some new minions on the Pony world? Or just, y'know, stop a foolhardy lunk-head from doing something everyone might regret... :D

2. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I'm sorry? Is Rainbow supposed to be a graduate of the school for gifted unicorns?

Agreed, further Rainbow Dash is pretty consistently shown to be book dumb. Brilliant at handling the weather and highspeed movement, not so much at anything else.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A fairly human like quality.

Unless their relationship didn't end in good terms and Celestia saw no reason to make sure he was remembered.

Or maybe said pony didn't want to be remembered.

Or it may require that the Alicorn in question be connected to what they're controlling.

Celestia and Luna both have celestial bodies as cutie marks, so they're specialized in controlling them.

Others don't have them.

True, but by breaking all of them it would take him much more time to make new ones, if he could, and thus he wouldn't be able to do much damage during that time.

And even if he needed all of them to control the sun to its fullest, it may have been possible to still manipulate it a bit with the rest, so by destroying them all she robbed him of any power.

4. khansy

khansy Getting some practice in, huh?

Disputing someone's headcanon with your own headcanon isn't really a sound argument.

5. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

Reminds me of the solar panel adds on infowars.com "the government doesnt own the sun yet!"

ChestBurster, Ardy, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  6. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

No One:

Not A Single Soul:

Grayven: "Yo, who da fuck owns the sun?"

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The Renegade doesn't have all that much to do with her.

8. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Maybe "fact" instead of "face"?

9. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

Our world had to sit down and sort that one out before we even put a man into space. We too decided that nobody owns celestial bodies.

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Ponies only have genetic knowledge of the very barebones their species can do, like pegasus know how to fly, earth ponies know how to farm and unicorns can figure telekinesis on their own... eventually.

Anything else that's not cutie mark/special talent granted knowledge? They have to LEARN it.

We know for example that specific Earth Pony farming techniques, Zap Apples for example, have to be learned or at least figured out. That you need to go to a school to learn how to manipulate weather as a pegasus and that unicorns need to put time and effort to learn most spells.

11. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

And this fool calls himself god of conquest? By this metric nobody owns any piece of land, let alone has sovereignty over it. Celestia has been the sole controller of the local sun. It rises and sets at her pleasure. She owns it more than anyone present in this forum ever owned anything. The only person who could disagree with this assessment is Celestia herself.

Xmaster3000, Jaron, Mastigos2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    By that standard, Discord owns the sun. He controlled it before she did and has demonstrated the ability to take it back whenever he can be bothered.

States are generally assumed to exert legal supremacy within their geographic boundaries. They're generally assumed not to exert it beyond them. When there's an dispute of ownership within a country, the systems to resolve that dispute exist, and it will usually be the case that all claimants are at least in theory subject to the same rules. That isn't the case for things outside that geographic territory. The God of Conquest does not allow astronomers [to claim celestial objects] that someone else is living in.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  13. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes? It's been a long time but it was explicitly stated that he chose to be Conquest in the 'become legitimate in the eye of those who once did not recognize you' sense rather than the 'kill everyone so no one can contest your claim' sense.

14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thought it was to bring the heat for 800 years?

15. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

1) Grayven has spent quite some time in previous updates complaining about how unnecessary the whole ‘manually direct the sun’ thing is, with the implication that the star system is as standard and that they could just have everything orbit as normal.
    Now he is going out of his way to ensure their ‘unnecessary’ system continues to be used.

2) Dash and Do did not, in fact, make any attempt to destroy the artefact and surrounding temple. They dismantled the active part and the whole thing self-destructed. Blame the designers, not the end users.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I was rereading part of the story and found these errors on one part.
    These should all say 'Brande'.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It is unnecessary, in much the same way that, for example, nuclear power is unnecessary. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to take a sledgehammer to a nuclear pile.
    They had a pile of rings that were going to create a magic effect, and they removed parts. Even if they hadn't just broken the rings, that would still count.

18. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Mr Zoat I am, as always, very impressed at how well you can capture Rainbow Dash's voice, timing, and priorities!

I dread to see you write Fluttershy though. I can't imagine you pulling her off at all without writing her out of the scene entirely.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Galler like this.
  19. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

She is indeed a Pegasus, a specie whose only magic is weather manipulation and nothing else, Dash was never shown as a genius at that either so i don’t see why she could understand unknown spellwork of that complexity with only a glance…..

KomandorCliff, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because you're talking about a conceptual link to the sun of a level where what happens to one would impact the other.

Something like that would, forgive the pun, burn like the sun, to anyone with even a nascent magical sense.

Or to put it simply, it would be like asking someone to determine if a working lightbulb is on or off by looking at it. IE, utterly simple.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. WaleXdraK

You make a lot of assumptions about how the MLP magic system work my dude, also the comparison with a working lightbulb make no sense because while indeed it should be easy to see that a spellwork like that use a lot of energy that doesn’t mean you understand why it need that energy if your aren’t familiar with the spell or magic theory, spell are hardly as obvious as just turning the light on.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  22. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

You new or sumthin'? That's literally all Vaermina does; "This story doesn't line up perfectly with my headcanon, therefore it is bad and wrong and all fiction should be how I want it to be"

I would have blocked them a while ago, but I like the coherency of knowing what people are arguing about.

23. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

This sentence seems to be missing something. Or I am unable to parse it for some other reason.

In any case, I didn't know that Discord can overpower Celestia at any time with relative ease. Never actually watched the show.

As for the borders thing, Celestia can enforce her rule across the whole solar system. Due to her aforementioned control of the sun. And ultimately it is the power to enforce rules that makes things like borders and jurisprudence and legal systems a thing. If Celestia's policy was to have hegemony over the sun's movements in the whole system then Canterlot's stance in international politics would essentially be that she owns it, regardless of which land borders one currently resides in as they are being warmed by it.

Celestia has definitely become the legitimate overlord of the sun in the eyes of anyone with diplomatic relations to Canterlot. It's been the enduring empire's provable stance that their monarch is the lone controller of the sun since before Wales was conquered by England.

24. Wivk

Yet, no one owns them yet. There was a time people thought that no one owned -or could own- rain, then a guy built a rain catcher to get his own water from the sky for free. He was motivated to do so by mismanagement of ground water by government leading to massive droughts and draconian water conservation policies but no slow down on bottling and export by large corporations. Shortly afterwards the government declared that they own the rain and it was illegal for him to gather any that fell on his property, took his property without compensating him, and put him into prison.

One day the government mismanagement of energy and draconian conversation policies will drive enough people off grid with solar and wind that very similar declarations will be made in regards to them. I have seen kids taken away from homesteaders over stuff like this, and laws already passed that require fully self suficient homes still have to be wired into the grid. From there to declaring you a thief for stealing the light and warmth that happens to land on you isnt an insurmountable gap fot governments to over reach.

ChestBurster and Lord Ernest like this.
  25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat was it ever said what happened to Demon-possessed Superman now that he is free? Did he kill himself? cause I can't see any version of Superman able to live with the knowledge they destroyed the world and subjugated the world to unimaginable horrors.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul mentioned that he's comatose. Considering what he went through, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays that way for a while.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I was rereading a part of the story and found a broken link. I have no idea what it's supposed to look like.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

What makes more sense?

That everyone's an idiot?

Or that they knew something in universe that makes their actions make sense?

Hint... It's the second...

29. Wivk

Everyone is an idiot because they are characters in a children show being written that way by idiots for children. The writers never considered that, so their characters didnt either.

It is a bit odd for this argument to be happening now, since it has been a core theme of the story since damn near chapter 1.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  30. WaleXdraK

Nah when you watch MLP you can clearly see that the first option make wayyyyy more sense even Twilight screw up half the time and she is supposed to be a prodigy in magic, also nothing changed with the fact that the only magic Dash know is weather manipulation and she is far from being a genius in it : t’s like saying that because you know some notion in electrical work you can see a motherboard and understand everything on what it do and why with only a glance, both are related yet vastly different even if the base logic behind it is the same.

I won’t bother answering more then that, it’s not the first time you throw one of your hissy fit in this thread since it seem you are only here to complain and ignore everyone counter argument, if you want to keep making a show of yourself please do keep going, i believe that at this point you are one of the main attractions here.