1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'is'.

I have no idea who this is. Does anyone know who the other guest could be?

2. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Circe, she's the only one I can think of.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think it's her.

Ardy likes this.
  4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, John feeling a bit out of sorts? I suppose there's only so much lounging around you can do in the day before boredom kicks in. And I can see him treating this as a relaxing holiday, what with the warding preventing him getting a brainful of Order and Chaos arguing.

...You want John Constantine farming? Are you nuts? Knowing his luck, he'd probably raise a crop of mandrakes.

Ah, a bit behind the times, is she?

Heh. To be fair, when they came to the island, most men were either common farmers, soldiers or nobility.

And those that are usually don't do the old 'plant and pick by hand' thing you might be used to. Things are rather more industrial, especially in the first and second-world nations.

And of them, two are technically under five years of age. And Daniel Hall is happily married.
    Edit: Scratch that, I was thinking of his father, Hector. Too many semi-:oops:obscure characters to keep straight...

True, having the entire population pregnant at once would be terrible for defence. Never mind those who are asexual or aromantic, and therefore not interested in anyone.

Maybe consult with Gaea too, before you go giving her a facelift?

...Well, he is giving as good as he's getting from her.

...Oh, god, that'd be hilarious. A senile Amazon. To be fair, some of them are older physically, for whatever reason.

Just out of curiosity, hmm? I'm sure the regional folk will have different opinions to the City, where Kon is probably focusing.

So, a short exile. Though with the ability to visit, presumably.

...Because of course people are going to think 'Oh, of course that won't happen to me.' Humans gonna human, no matter how experienced.

...Well, shit. Leave it to OL to spot the glaring gap in the situation.

Save the sophistry and verbal evasions for the courts, lady.

Because go with what you know, and look for new grounds. I bet modern sex toys will blow their mind... "How is it moving by itself?" x3

...Beyond 'These people are over there, the rest are over here.'? Being hopeful enough to Give Alan a point of charge there, OL.

And there's bound to be someone too in love or sick of modern society to care that Themyscira is still something of an antiquarian town in terms of technology? Oh, sure, they probably have a sewerage system, but everything else...

As long as they aren't acting like typical tourists, expecting all their modern conveniences like malls, hot water heaters, electric lights and cell coverage? :p

Keeping in mind that's about a hundred times the native population. Yeah, I don't see the island coping with that kind of cultural shift.

To be fair, she is, if she expected to get away scot free. Seriously, I've seen almost as bad a comprehension of consequences in some versions Sophia Hess...

Are you sure that's a good idea?

Well, at least she's got good sense.

Besides the amazing scenery, life of leisure and amazing scenery. x3

Of course he is. Man just doesn't know what to do with himself if things are going his way...

,,,You know that castration is still an option, John? :oops: Especially if the guards hear you talk about them like that...

No, no it isn't, mate. Let's try to curb your normal courses of action?

Huh, not ringing any bells. I'd ask if it were Sparta, daughter of Astarte, but I can't remember if OL has met the Citizenry or not... o_O Or that one of the four captains... Alcyone?

John really seems at odds and ends when he's not fighting this big evil or that, does he? I half-suspect the man doesn't actually know how to relax properly. Just booze, smoking and sex. On the upside, he might get to meet someone with even less idea of relaxation than him. I wonder if any sparks might fly in this meeting?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Can't be the former as Paul didn't interact with the Citizenry due to deeming them a low priority. And the latter has been seen out and about with the other Amazons, so it can't be her.

Lord Ernest, Ardy, Jaron and 2 others like this.
  6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nope. It was mentioned way back that they don't.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  7. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

They're in Themyscira. "Hoe" is not within their vernacular as an alternative to "Whore" or "Prostitute".

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    To be clear, he said 'hoe', not 'ho'.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, Hector Hall is happily married. Daniel Hall is single.

9. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Well that's just lovely, but how do you feel about farm work?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I can see him getting bored and summoning a demon to help.

This will of course lead to demonic vegetables.

Or just not interested in kids.

Some of the Amazons weren't in the prime of their life when they came to the island.

Unless the gods somehow make the island bigger like the TARDIS.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know, I remember that when Paul defeated the Queen of Fables, they considered sending her to Tartarus.

Maybe she's the other guest getting rehab.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Who?

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Daniel Hall, son of the Silver Scarab.

15. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

PLEASE take him to Eris

16. HeroineRule34Guy

HeroineRule34Guy Know what you're doing yet?

It's Alkyone and her cohort, right? First referenced here. I know the Illustres met them and played the Babylon 5 CCG with them. I don't recall if anything's been done with them since.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Nope. Paul has long since revealed the truth to Alkyone and her cohort. This caused them to repent and beg their queen for forgiveness. Alkyone has since been seen free to move around the island. Mr Zoat, are the Circle officially forgiven, or is there some kind of probation for them?

18. Mr Zoat

More or less forgiven.

19. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Reins.

Incidentally, the Senate switching to direct elections was much more about populism and anti-corruption than centralization. It's interesting how much Grayven isn't really paying attention to the government even as he lectures about it.

20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You're right -- that's 18 U.S. Code § 3594. Which is to say, a legislative decision, not a constitutional one. That same law also says that life imprisonment is subject to the same rule.

So what this means is that I was partially wrong. This law would be amending that one to create a new sentence that the JURY can select from, instead of the judge as I had mistakenly suggested.

As I said, I agree with you here in US Prime. But the circumstances in US 16 are different enough that this seems like it might fall a different way there.

And really the "hunt down" provision is the bigger issue -- the ability for a jury to declare that a person constitutes a clear and present danger by their presence alone doesn't seem to violate any current jurisprudence that I'm aware of, although it does introduce some variability in how it gets handled from place to place based on how the self-defense laws are written. But that is, of course, where the indemnification clause comes in; it wouldn't be about the death penalty at that point, it would be about self-defense.

kerleth and Vorian like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's a fairly common feature among the various Paul's and with Zoat; seemingly being an expert or knowledgeable some field but lacking understanding or basic concepts connected to said field.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Populism, sure. Anti-corruption? Certainly people at the time might have seen it as a way of reducing corruption. People vote for things and get the opposite all the time. Historically, greater centralisation of power is at best weakly associated reduced corruption.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which would put it up against the 8th Amendment.

Because the "method of execution" roadblock is a pretty hefty one.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well in this regard I think he just missed the love of hypocrisy in US jurisprudence.

Cops playing judge, jury, and executioner happens.

While also being unconstitutional and hence illegal.

But it's justified with such polite fictions as "self defense."

So the hypothetical "Save our Cops Act" which pre-qualifies escaped supervillains as armed and dangerous de facto allowing cops to shoot villains willy nilly while pretending it's not using the 5th amendment as toilet paper, and framing the narrative so that going against it is being pro cop killer?

That I can buy.

As presented, I have to agree with V- The UCLA would probably have Gravy's law for breakfast since it doesn't even pretend like it cares about obeying the constitution.

Vaermina and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It isn't cruel on its own, although the circumstances of individual cases might be cruel, which would go right back to indemnification only applying to the actual homicide and not other actions that might surround it.

It also isn't unusual, as it is already well-established that lethal force is permitted when there is a clear and present danger, as well as being well-established that lethal force is explicitly authorized against prison escapees if they ignore clear warnings.

Lord Ernest and Prince Charon like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's kind of the opposite of how it works.

Basically the government has a list of execution methods that aren't considered cruel and unusual, and everything else is considered by default to be cruel and unusual.

Meaning by ordering the death of someone, but leaving the method of that death completely open, any such law would run face first into the 8th Amendment.

Going back a bit, there's also the general problem with the second part of Grayven's law that it might violate the 8th on principle due to Atkins v. Virginia.

27. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

If we are talking about a what I think? Then yes, it was partly Anti-corruption as US senators used to be appointed by state governments. Those state governments in turn were often utterly and obviously controlled by Railroad corporations or a one of a few other types of businesses like oil.
    So having them be chosen directly by the voters was a significant improvement.

Prince Charon, Vorian and kerleth like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    08:18 GMT +3

We hear the thuds and thumps of axe work before we see the island's therapy farm. Since it was out of use for decades the Amazons were perfectly happy to let nature reclaim it, and now it looks like it's going to be put back into action they're having the old staff and the other inmate clear it.

"Who are they?"

"Who's my nemesis?"

John gives me a sidelong look. "Fate."

"No, he was my enemy." We continue walking through the woodland, John managing the terrain surprisingly well for a man who avoids all forms of physical exercise. "Classically, a nemesis should arise directly from the hero's own actions and failings, which means that mine is probably some Reach politician whose name I'll never know. In the modern context, a nemesis is someone who the hero fights, whose nature is related to theirs in some way, either similar or as a sort of reflection of it."

He looks at-.

"Yes, I know that I just sounded like I'm massively up myself and self-absorbed to the point that I'm dismissing wider human civilisation in order to make a drama out of my own life, but I'm talking about how people usually describe the relationship."

"So, what, my nemesis is… Who?"

"I would have guessed Chantinelle or Golden Boy, but they're not really your enemies. The First, probably."

John looks ahead of us through the trees.

"Whatever happened to him, hey?"

"The other demon lords decided to sit on him to prevent him getting his power back. Unfortunately, I don't know a good way to keep him down permanently other than sticking him on the Source Wall. And that's a bit awkward."

"And yours is that Truggs bloke."

"Right. Because..?"

"You both really like hearin' yourself talk?"

"Uplift. The improvement of human civilisation."

"Did you lock me in a cabin in the woods so at the end of it I'd find hearing this interesting?"

"He was sending people to parallel universes to steal things. Technology, mostly, but he also abducted a demon-possessed Supergirl."

John stops, and-.

Warning! Spell eater temperature increasing.

"You banished it."

"Of course we banished it, she's kryptonian. We're not insane. Turns out that a kryptonian demon possessed her reality's Superman and he passed the corruption along. She was catatonic for a while, but now she's up and about and having constant waking nightmares about what she did under the influence."

"Always wondered what would happen if Superman went off the rails."

"I can show you the recordings if you like. Though I should warn you, I fought him alongside a taskforce of superpeople from a Nazi-ruled parallel universe."

"Not what Churchill would have done."

"It's usually easy to keep demons out of the material universe. That was a world where it wasn't."

We breach the tree line, the land on the far side covered in tree trunks. A kryptonian like Kara is easily strong enough to pull them out of the ground, but because we're serious about the 'not being stupid' thing she's working at physical strength only.

John steps on a stick and her head snaps around and I see the pulse of fear grow as she sees us and her memories start playing again. How she realised that something was wrong with Kal-El, how she tried to escape but he was faster than he'd ever been. And later, how she didn't change completely right away and people didn't always realise that they needed to run from her as well.

Our Superman wanted to visit, but… We're all pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea.

"Did you get that?"

"Don’t need to be a magician to see someone's face. You want me to talk to her?"

"We already tried Ambrose. He said that he wasn't fucked up enough to relate to her."

One of the Amazon guards spots that Kara 666 isn't with us anymore and cautiously steps closer.

"Kara. Kara. You are safe. There are no demons here. You haven't hurt anyone."

Kara blinks and appears to come out of it, though her heart rate is still accelerated and she's still panting for breath.

"Good morning, Kara Zor-El."

"H… Hhh… Hello."

She doesn't look relieved to see me. Or anyone else. I did ask if Kon could visit and she didn't come out of her room for the rest of the day. I told her what happened with her Kal-El, but… It didn't really help either. I left her the recording but she hasn't watched it.

John and I walk closer. Slowly, and making sure to keep our hands visible. I don’t think that would set her off, but I didn't think a storm cloud would either and she spent an hour screaming in panic.

"This is my friend John Constantine." For a moment I'm worried that some part of the demonic outbreak resulted in her meeting their version of him, but from the default-worried look on her face that doesn't appear to be the case. "He's staying on this island too. Are you alright talking to him?"

"W… What-what-what is he here for?"

John shrugs. "Same as you, from the sounds of things. Didn't go quite as bad, but it could have done if it had gone on much longer."

A small and very shaky head nod.

"Thank you. I'll leave you to it, then."

I raise my right hand-.

"L… L-Lantern."

"Yes?"

"Can-can-c… When can I g… Go home?"

"We don’t have a portal set up, though we do have the coordinates. Assuming that no one on your home parallel's side has set up a shield, we can go back with a few hour's notice. We were planning on leaving it until you were a little more recov-"

She's shaking her head vigorously.

"-ered. No?"

"Nnn… Need to go back. F… F… Fix thing-. Things."

"They don't really have the facilities to help you there, but if you're sure, I'll assemble a portal and check the connection."

She nods, though the unspoken problem there is what happens if they don’t want her back.

"Very well. I'll return after I've paid them a visit."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Quote marks should be orange.

Ha!

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I honestly thought she was already shipped back home. Mr Zoat, why exactly did Truggs abduct her in the first place? He wanted/needed a Kryptonian to experiment on or something?