1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I suppose it makes good therapy, all right. Getting to hit things with sharp objects, rip out weeds and knocking about rocks. And for some people that's probably a good way to relieve stress.

:rolleyes: Pfft. A tin hat with the memories of a man and a bit of power? Hardly.

At least one good thing came of Quinn's physical upgrades: the new John is in damn good shape for his age. As for a good example of a Nemesis: Joker, to Batman. Both are broken in different ways. One has an iron-clad code of behaviour, the other is as ephemeral as the wind in terms of personality. One seeks to bring order to a chaotic world, if only for a little while, the other seems mortally offended that no-one else sees how stupid that is.

And a close personal example often makes it easier to explain.

Honestly? John's nemesis is himself. Every time he tries to do something good, it usually ends up going bad. He basically sabotages everything good he's ever gained, in part because he doesn't think he deserves to have it...

Well, after getting stabbed with the Sword, I doubt he would prove to be much trouble, if his rivals got to him before he could reclaim his power again.

And I bet the Free's Mother Box would object to opening up a Boom Tube to such a prestigious location for such a frivolous purpose.

...He's not wrong.

I mean, is it working? I'm sure you could make yourself useful in improving humanity's lot... Somehow?

Yeah, he knew instantly how bad that would be.

Checking for traces of demonic contact in OL? Sensible, but a bit rude.

Well, good to hear she's.. not catatonic anymore? I don't know if she considers the nightmares any improvement.

You take the allies you can get, in that sort of situation.

Though I expect she can still lop a tree down with a single axe-blow... If the axe could take it.

Oh, goodness, no. I rather suspect it would result in a screaming fit louder than a nuclear blast, followed by a raging barrage of super-speed punches.

...I mean, you can commiserate over being fucked by demons?

...Okay, yeah, that's... I don't think she'll ever be okay, then. :(

Panic attack barely averted. It'd be a pain after all they went through to recover John, only to lose him to a PTSD-suffering Kryptonian...

I can just imagine her having to unstick her jaw enough to speak, even if it's through gritted teeth.

...Yikes. I think she's gonna need a long time to heal, if she ever does...

I mean, could we tell the difference between a Demon-possessed Constantine and the regular flavour? More likely their John died in the first day or two.

Which makes you lucky as hell, John. Some of the Golden Boy finally rubbing off, perhaps.

Ah. I wonder what she needs form him?

...Are you sure that's a good idea? Can you deal with everyone looking at you and seeing the demon that wore your face?

Amusing that they've reached the level that they can casually talk about travelling between universes.

Again, is that really a good idea?

...Well, on her own head be it...

Ouch. It feels strange to see any Supergirl in that sort of shape, mentally. I almost hope her home dimension tells her to 'stay there, get yourself into a better place first.' Because at this rate, she may well find herself a pariah amongst the people of Earth-666. And she seems fragile enough that things would not end well for her...

2. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Why? Because Truggs ships Conner with Kara, not Miss Martian.

Istaran, Vorian, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  3. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

What a Shit explanation.

Here's the main man to give you the real deets.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Quite aside from her mental state, the SI and Friends were concerned that one of Superman's chief enforcers wouldn't exactly be welcomed back, even if people knew she was possessed at the time.
    With Starrotech nullified, it was determined that it would be useful to have a new way to control superheroes. 'Bind a demon and stick it in' seemed like a viable option.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think it's because of Quinn.

John was always surprisingly strong and the demon blood from Nergal helped.

The last time he regained his power was with the help of a demon who he later killed, so I doubt a lot of others will be eager to assist him.

If they stick hom in it then they are neutralizing a massive potential threat that is probably more powerful than Darkseid, so she may not object.

No siree.

Everyone wore a demon face there, so that's one potential solution.

A really depressing one.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ouch. Yeah, comics gloss over mental trauma most of the time.

They just need to get up and punch someone and they're hunky dory.

Unless the trauma is part of their backstory, then it stays forever.

And Kara really is in no shape to go back.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

This story did the same with the Lazarus Pit, really.

Every time someone uses the Lazarus Pit they go temporarily insane.

So that's like a psychotic break every time.

Only a couple of times? Sure, I can see someone bouncing back from that.

But seriously, after a certain point there's no way someone comes back from that without permanent trauma to their psyche. Ra's definitely needed a psychiatrist after dozens if not hundreds of resurrections.

And Anti-Green Paul resurrecting every day via a Lazarus Pit? It's not like I can see the anti-green ring having a problem with him losing some sanity points.

Wetbananas, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Nyssa had a unique formula which seemed to either lessen or remove the insanity drawback. Also, his repeated deaths and resurrections led to the creation of his very own soul, so I wouldn't be surprised if that version of Paul had some form of resistance or outright immunity to the negative effects of a Lazarus Pit.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"my nemesis" I think?

That's not how that works, on two fronts:

First, that list does not define what is or is not "cruel and unusual." It's a policy rule defining instructions for what to do. Going outside of it isn't unconstitutional, just the normal kind of illegal.

Second, that list is defined by legislation. Which means it can be amended by legislation. Like it was in US Prime a few years ago. And like, you know, THIS legislation.

Uh... Did you read what you linked? Because you linked the dissenting opinion. You linked a persuasive argument that the conclusion may have been decided wrongly. Take a look at this excerpt:
    Doesn't that read to you like the dissenting justices were anticipating the circumstances that are demonstrated to be quite real in US 16? This is exactly the kind of thing I meant when I said that US 16 jurisprudence would have evolved differently.

Furthermore, even in US Prime, you have Hall v Florida, ruled 12 years later, which overruled the rubric established in Atkins v Virginia. Hall v Florida requires that the sentencing judge must be allowed to use their judgment based on multiple factors to determine whether or not a mentally-handicapped person is too incapacitated to be executed. In this particular case, the ruling meant that the death penalty was remanded for Hall, but Hall was also demonstrated to have been a long-time victim of child abuse who could not have known that his actions were wrong. Furthermore Hall was said to not even be capable of formulating a plan to steal a car, drive to a convenience store, and murder a woman -- he was, in fact, the patsy. He had been manipulated by another person into committing the crime, and that other person wasn't even considered for the death penalty despite being the one who masterminded the whole operation.

THAT is the kind of handicap that jurisprudence is talking about when they say that some people are too incapacitated to be executed -- not cases like Joker, who might have impaired moral faculty but is perfectly capable of making long-term plans.

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Poor Kara 666. It's no surprise she's so shaken up- especially if her trauma from the loss of Krypton hadn't fully recovered and then she had to deal with That Shit. I wonder how Superman 666 is holding up...

Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's probably still in a coma.

13. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Likely even worse. I would be surprised if he hadn't killed himself. I'm really curious how Mr. Terrific-666 is holding up being the lantern of post-hell earth.

Ardy, Windona and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Lucky for Marvel it has a superhero that also has a PHD in the field of mental health,

15. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    07:24 GMT +2

"…go home. Is that something you can arrange?"

Dr. Sivana nods distractedly, his hands working on the internal mechanisms of a many-eyed robot which appears to be simultaneously watching fifty screens worth of… Romantic comedies. After a moment he pulls them free and turns it on. Its head spins slowly for several rotations, then starts getting faster and faster until smoke starts pouring from its neck pivot.

Dr. Sivana grunts, then presses the 'off' switch. The robot's eye stalks sag immediately, and the mad spinning slows to a stop.

"I already visited that laboratory. I didn't want my alter ego's equipment being used to implicate me. Could you please remove the head?"

"Sure." I create a dock crane construct and haul the head up off the neck piece. "Where do you want it?"

He points to a nearby bench, and I carefully deposit it down next to the machine tools.

"What are you..? Trying to do with this?"

"I was-." He picks up a remote control and one by one turns off the screens. "I was attempting to create a synthetic mind that could help me in understanding 'romance'."

"Doctor, you have four children."

"And Venus did not-" He walks over to the bench and connects a cable to a port on the robot's head. "-really approve of the methods by which we conceived them. Particularly Georgia and Junior. To me, it seemed perfectly logical to improve them beyond what natural selection would create. But…"

He sighs.

"I have trouble understanding people. And if our second try at marriage is going to work, then I need to get better at it."

"By having a robot watch romantic comedies."

"Yes. A robot designed to perform a complex but extremely logical analysis of human social conventions will be able to understand them on a level no human can match and explain them to me in a purely logical way that I can understand. And then I'll be able to become the husband that Venus deserves."

"Doctor." I hesitate… Then gird my loins and cautiously pat him on the left shoulder with my right hand. "Venus fell in love with you the first time when your social skills were even worse than they are now. I don't think that an analysis of trends in romantic fiction is what you need."

"I-." He twitches slightly. "Perhaps not."

"I think-."

"But I'll know for certain once I've made one."

"Okay, I didn't want to do this, but do you know who Steven Dayton is?"

Dr. Sivana stops working. "An entirely inappropriate comparison. The 'mento helmet' was imprecise in its augmentative-."

"My point is that he spent all his time doing things with his helmet to try and prove that he was worthy, rather than actually spending time with the woman he loved. At the very least I'm sure that Venus would find this amusing to watch."

"That-." He blinks several times in quick succession. "I suppose that she might find it entertaining. I'm sure that she would have some input for me on the cultural aspect."

"Yes.""So, the portal?"

"I'll go and check on it. I assume that you want to go to America?"

"Please. Can you have the portals that precise?"

"Yes, it's no trouble." He lays down his tools and heads for the workshop door. "I'll do final checks and set it in the 'ready' position for when your group is gathered."

"Thank you."

I raise my right hand to my forehead,

step out, and

reappear in the open air above Dr. Sivana's semi-concealed workshop. It's location is… Known to those in the know, but isn't broadcast publically due to the panic that is likely to occur. And the damage to house prices. Despite all the people that the Sheeda killed, house prices remain buoyant across Europe and North America. People trying to move to places that could defend themselves effectively, I suppose.

"Orange Lantern to-."

I was going to say 'Blue Lantern', but it's just past midnight on the American east coast right now and Alan needs his sleep.

"Orange Lantern to Watchtower."

"Green Arrow here."

"I-."

"Gimme a moment. I'm still bracing myself."

"It's nothing like that."

"I don't think you think about things 'like that' the same way other people do." I hear him take a deep breath, and I know that he's only half-joking. "Okay. Hit me."

"I'm taking the Supergirl who was possessed by a demon back to her parallel at her request."

"I thought Diana said she was in therapy."

"She is, but it's.. sort of voluntary. She should have someone watching her, but she's not a danger to herself or others. Given how badly hammered her Earth was… They could really use her."

"So…"

"So I was going to ask if anyone from the League wants to pay them a visit. At this point there are all sorts of lessons they'll have learned about containing a demonic outbreak. I'd ask my-."

Inwardly, I sigh. 'My team mates'? Really? Unless I'm talking about N.E.M.O., that hasn't been true for a while. Which is… Not 'fine' exactly, but I'm not a trainee any longer and I didn't want to join the League. We've grown apart. Though I'm sure I could handle that better.

"My friends, but it's the middle of the school week."

"Not sure how much use you'd have for a guy with a pointy stick launcher."

"Little to none, but a former CEO with knowledge of logistics could be useful. If you're available."

"I'll put the word out. And I'll talk to Dinah about coming along."

"It's not exactly a couples get-away, sir."

"Sure, but I can't just disappear without telling her."

Yes, maybe I should message Jade about this before we leave.

"Okay. Call me back in ten minutes?"

"How exactly are you getting there? You're not going via Nazi-Earth, are you?"

"No, Doctor Sivana's got a portal ready to go."

"Oh, how about that. Doctor Sivana." There's a brief pause. "Dinah says she needs me to put up some shelves today. Too bad, huh?"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  16. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Jump-Cut to Green Arrow making a bulk batch of chili for a refugee camp on demon!earth

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm assuming he's trying to learn about romance.

Just be careful, those types of movies can have some really horrible lessons.

"approve"

"that is"

Ha!

He's got you there.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Cue next update, Paul going through the available heroes:

Red Tornado: "Got a Doctor's appointment, sorry"

Aquaman: "I need to shark sit"

Diana : "Kon has a piano recital"

Kon: "I don't play..."

Diana: "You do now, Kon"

Manhunter: "I need to wash my hair"

"You don't have hai..."

Manhunter: grows a mane

"Okay, okay, I get it, jeez"

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...To be fair, most people would react that way if they had to endure that much rom-com rubbish. :confused: Suicide by unscrewing its own head does sound a bit excessive, though. What on Earth is he working on?

Well, good to know he's already on top of the alternate dimensional portal business, at least. Not surprising, he's one of the few geniuses smart enough to be willing to work with alternates, and not trust them further than he could throw them.

Admittedly, this raises the question: Why not just use a virtual AI that can 'watch' hundreds of rom-coms in a couple of minutes, instead of physically playing the films? :p Or is it a Sivana thing?

...Then why are you using Romantic Comedies as your input. Garbage In, Garbage Out.
    :V "Soft Science!"
    Hush, Thaddeus Junior! :rolleyes:

...That's probably more than anyone wants to know about his sex life, I suspect. Or lack of it, as the case may be.

At least he's willing to put the work into changing. There are some that practically typify the comedic definition of insanity: Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

...Well, at least he isn't making it watch romantic anime. That'd be even worse for actual romantic skills.

Well, at least he can see his mistake... Once upon a time, he would just have doubled-down.

:eek: Robot: "Delete me now, please..."

If you're wondering, that's Mento, of the Doom Patrol. Famous for being nuts thanks to the mentioned tech.

And maybe a suggestion to have it read some bodice-rippers, for a little more action in the bedroom. x3 Just be cure to have a glossary for the euphemisms.

Hardly essential, but it would save a commute.

And he'll endeavour to be as far from that particular site as he can, just to avoid any issues.

So, that's the ride prepared. Booking for two people, or are you planning on including company?

Now, would a Sivana laboratory increase the defensive potential or a neighbourhood, or lower it, I wonder? I suspect some folks would happily tolerate a robot rampage every other month in return for nice, safe streets the rest of the time...

Monitor Duty Officer: "Aw, shit." Hovers hand over the panic button. :p Which is Orange.

...Still not ruling out the 'all hands on deck' alert being at the ready.

At least they're learning how to manage him.

Now, there's a wide range of ground for 'therapy' to cover, you know...

I still say it's a bad idea, but OL gonna OL.

Such is life. Especially when you're a decade older than your friends without them knowing.

Are you seriously still salty about that, Ollie?

...Cue immediate avalanche of 'Oh god, no' responses.

Still, not the most romantic getaway you've taken her on.

...Let's go with 'he knows a guy'. Not sure the League would approve...

...Yeah, I don't think he's gonna get too many takers.

Somehow, I get the feeling a lot of the League are going to be 'washing their hair' or 'on stakeout' when they get the call. Which means this could be a lonely trip. Which is probably how it should be anyway. I suspect Kara-666 isn't all that interested in having company for what may well be a 'walk of shame' when she gets home. And probably safest not to have any of the League's big guns taking a trans-universal road-trip...

20. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

Mr Zoat, apropos of nothing, has the market caught on that LexCorp is persona non grata in a better part of the supernatural circles nowadays? I reckon with the surge of magic and supertech integration that's been going lately it'd stand out a lot more that none of the big names trust them with anything, and it could have interesting knock-on effect on the mundane business side.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep, the last time thet all ended up betraying each other.

It wouldn't be a mad scientist thing if it wasn't somehow wasteful.

Tough to say.

Dinah: HAHAHAHA!...Oh, you're serious. Ollie, I think we need to rethink our relationship.

No shit.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Trying to make LexCorp persona non grata is surface world magic circles would be like trying to make Elon Musk persona non grata in electric car circles. It's simply not practical due to market penetration.
    It's because humans watch things with eyes.

23. Bud-E

I'm glad Paul realized it it feels like he hasn't spent much time with them at all recently. I was starting to wonder if he was even on the team anymore.

24. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I get that she's in therapy voluntarily but she's so post-traumatic that I can't imagine it's a good idea to let her soak up yellow sunlight.

She's one bad flashbacks away from smashing up a city.

25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I bet Melinoe could learn a few tricks about madness AND nightmares if she observes Sivana’s next few experiments. Poor little robot head, tortured so soon after your birth assemblyday.

26. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

You know, Dr. Sivana seems like someone the Star Sapphires would be willing to help educate. He certainly feels love, and it seems to make him a better person, but he also seems to be going about learning it the most circuitous way possible.

27. Stsword

Pity this story doesn't include Dr Claire Foster, Superman's psychiatrist (Also apparently Martian Manhunter and Starfire's too).

Lots of people who need to work through their feelings in this story lately.

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

First I've heard of the character.

29. Stsword

Well she is obscure, and no evidence she exists in Earth-16 anyway.

Although now I'm picturing an alt.Paul who pressures supers to get psychiatric care to make sure there won't be any Injustice style bullshit on his watch.

30. Bud-E

Mr Zoat is there gonna be a Paul in Injustice?

Cuchulin likes this.