1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

There were references made to Clark being powerless as a kid when he went through that whole "electric blue" phase.

For those that don't remember that stint of his history. Back in the 90's they had a run where his normal powerset was swapped out for something completely different. He could switch from 'clark kent' mode to an energy being that required a containment suit (similar to someone like Captain Atom).

In this form he had electromagnetic powers allowing for flight and object levitation via electromagnetic repulsion and attraction, as well energy projection and transformation powers. He also had similarly enhanced senses, 'hearing' radio waves and such.

When he wasn't looking like a very muscular version of the blue man group, he was regular old clark, and he made repeated mention of things like bug bites, cuts while shaving, or landing on his butt when skating actually hurting like it did when he was a child.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, but he knows that's not true.

I just read the two books named and didn't find what he listed...

3. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

I like the idea of Clark feeling a bit like an outsider since he was a kid, but his powers, in my head, came in fits and spurts IE everything after this is headcanon. He was always unusually strong, fast, and tough relative to his age,and needles broke against his skin early on (the Kents got a vaccine exemption), but he couldn't shrug off bullets (in theory, not like anyone was shooting him) until he was about 7, the super senses hit in puberty, Heat Vision came after high school, which was when he finally asked his parents some questions, and flight came last, about a year after he starting Superman-ing (before that, he could just leap). I tend to think he's still getting stronger as his body soaks up more sunlight. When they first sparred, Wondy broke his nose. Now, she can't break his skin anymore. He has no idea how strong he'll get, and he's kinda concerned about it.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Armageddon 2001 was a crossover event, it had far more than two books. Every single annual that year was Waverider touching a hero to see if they were going to turn into Monarch and conquer the future.

Like Adventures of Superman Annual 3.

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Remember, Santa delivers coal to Darkseid on Apokolips every year.

Vorian, Windona and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Uncomplicated Good Works (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th December 2012
    22:44 GMT

"Strand Elder, please don't do this."

The face on the main screen moves its mandibles in an insulting configuration.

I wait patiently for him to stop.

"Rarkhakahh is the most heavily fortified world in this region! We are armoured, shielded and our weapon systems are second to none! We are ready to fight anyone, including Lanterns!" He leans closer to his camera. "And we have meat animals close at hand. Do your worst."

The camera pulls back, and-.

And he pulls a clearly terrified Karaxian child into view and

I step out, already

prepared to fire, my energy pulse striking the Strand Elder in the back of his head as my construct shield envelops the nearby-. Prisoners. The heavy combat robots lock on and open fire before the Strand Elder's body hits the ground, plasma pulses howling through the air!

I form railguns as the other Spiders in the room blacken and burn from the heat the plasma weapons are giving off. Scan shows basic shields and heavy armour, counter with crumbler rounds, fabricate crumbler rounds because the interdiction system is still active, fire!

Shields flicker and die, chunks of armour vanish as the robots stagger back, trying to right themselves and maintain fire even while I tear them apart. A moment later I feel a brief disorientation as some sort of mind affect device activates, but it's nothing like enough to make my constructs drop.

And then the robots are dead. A cold gun construct turns the air around us back to a more normal temperature, then I check on the Spiders. One heavily cooked survivor. He'll die in a few minutes if I take no action.

I glance back, and the communications system is still in one piece as it was contained inside my shield bubble.

"One survivor, Superman. I could heal him. Thoughts?"

"Is the kid okay?"

I look down to where the child is curled up on the floor hugging his legs to his chest.

"Horribly traumatised and drugged, but I think he'll eventually make a full recovery."

"How would you-?"

I drop my shield, energy pulse the surviving Spider in the head and connect directly to the command centre's computers. Looks like the consoles are shielded against construct intrusion, but with much of the equipment in the rest of the room melted I can get into the system that way. Ah, good design, communications but not control.

"I'd kill them all. If you're quick, I think you're fast enough to get to the surface before they kill all the hostages. Everyone else gogogo!"

This room has three exits. One goes to an emergency bunker, another to the emergency escape craft and the third back into the subterranean command facility. A transmutation ray seals the second, while a command to the computer system opens the first.

The boy who nearly got eaten is still out of it but the others look a little more coherent.

"Everyone! Into the bunker, please! I need you to be safe while I free the others!"

I shove the robot wrecks out of the way while the more focused prisoners herd the rest through the door and down the ladder.

"Don't open the door, I'll teleport in when it's clear."

A couple of bent left fist affirmative gestures from the Karaxians, then they're the other side of the outer door and I slam it shut.

Right.

Ring, open communications with Superman.

Compliance.

And crumbler-ram.

The door to the rest of the facility vanishes, as do the robots lining up on the far side. No actual Spider Guilders; that isn't how they fight.

Ring, broadcast.

Compliance.

"I am the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, broadcasting from your command centre to all Spider Guilders on Rarkhakahh. You are in defiance of the surrender agreement struck with your ruling council. Stand down at once. There will be no further warnings."

I feel a vague sense of pressure as Lantern Toren shields the allied fleet as it moves into bombardment position, and I see the walls shake around me as Kal-El hits the ground at full speed. Right, nearest concentration of non-Guilders is that way.

I could make a crumbler-borer construct and dig through the rock, but that would be entirely too slow. I can already see lights going out, though I'm not sure who they belong to. These Spiders don't appear to have any way to disrupt my exotic abilities, so

I step out,

blade constructs already cutting into the assembled robots, and-.

I gulp as I see a Spider crush a slave's head in its mandibles, just as its leader had planned to do. The energy pulse follows a half-second later.

"EVERYONE-"

Railguns form and robots begin to disintegrate.

"-ON THE GROUND!"

A shield over the surviving prisoners next, turning into a bunker construct a moment later. The Spider technicians are fleeing for the exit, so I send a brief volley their way as well.

And my targets are all gone.

None of the prisoners look like they're wounded. A few are missing body parts, but the flesh beneath has been sealed. Old wounds, to make them more afraid when the time comes to eat the rest. The local civilisations have the technology to regrow the flesh or replace it with cybernetics. There's nothing else I need to attend to immediately.

"Stay here, rescue is on the way."

Seal the doors, sight the next prisoner compartment

and

fire at-.

Too late. Mark these Spiders for later execution

and move to the

next-.

"We surrender! We surrender!"

Robots passive, Spiders on the floor.

Fine.

Crumbler rams hit the robots through their central processors while I fabricate restraints, binding their arms and legs.

And if the prisoners decide not to respect their surrender, it's hardly ideal, but I'll live with it.

Next.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  7. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

If you listen carefully near the end you can hear Batman say '....thanks Clark'.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was an excellent showing of Paul demonstrating why sometimes, somewhat ironically, the day can't be saved by a paragon of justice, but by someone who has the power to do something and the willingness to do it quickly, efficiently, and if necessary, without hesitation.

9. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Manchester Black almost had a good point in What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?. Problem is that Super Powered Black ops teams shouldn't operate independently or out in the open.

10. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Spider Guilders that aren't a complete mix of Evil and Stupid. How novel.

11. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Well they are a mix of those things, but they are also all individuals so the mix is very different with each one.

The Citadel were all clones and the Psions were heavily and purposely indoctrinated from birth. But for the Spider Guild it seems more to be a culture thing and culture can change.

12. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

With how absurdly powerful we routinely see Superman being, it makes me really curious what’s going on with that Kryptonian OL recruited to be a lantern. The one that had a prophecy around him.

Imagine what he’ll be capable of once he gets up to a basic level of power ring proficiency.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Depending on how compatible he is with the orange light, I can easily see Sodam Yat making Honor Guard. In one story, he became the last Guardian of the Universe.

14. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

This seems like a clear example of how useful construct lanterns could be, or at least coherent ones. If only there was an ethical way to make them. Most of the examples I’ve thought of involve going to afterlife realms in search of volunteers, but those could have knock-on effects like with the demons.

15. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Speaking of powerful Kryptonians, why doesn't Clark have Kryptonian crystalline armor?

And how powerful is Connor as chosen of Helios+Nth Metal armor?

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, moving onto another colony, I see? Not like Chughraghahh was the only Spider Guild planet in the sector. Merely the closest. And it seems their leadership is being stupidly overconfident in the face of overwhelming firepower...

Well, then. I'd say that's a pretty clear 'no', then. Along with a side of 'fuck you, mammal!' for good measure.

Time to do your best Kenshiro, OL. "Omae wa..."

"...Mou shinderu." And using heavy plasma weapons in the presence of 'people' they'd at least prefer to not die instantly in a firefight? Talk about excessive.

Well, they weren't kidding about being prepared for Lanterns... Too bad they weren't prepared for him.

Hard to tell the rest to surrender without the right radio codes, after all.

And of course Clark's first thought is for the hostages. Good man.

Bet he'll be having nightmares about this situation for years to come... On the upside, he got saved by a Lantern, that'll help him get better.

Very sensible. Presumably the Strand Elder isn't the actual military leader, so he's limited to giving general orders like 'Kill the invaders!' or the like...

And you'll be dealign with the third exit yourself, I take it.

Kid's probably also in need of a change of pants, I suspect. Assuming they allowed him any.

And since they saw him teleport into the room and assplode the boss' head, I don't think they'll doubt him.

...And I can't help but imagine them giving him the 'fight the power' salute. :D Better than the Spaceball Salute.

Opens comms, but says nothing. He wants Clark to listen in to this next bit, then?

After all, why risk yourself when you have hundreds of thousands of disposable drones to do the hard work?

Ah, that's what he wanted Clark to hear: Him giving them one chance to not die.

And when a Kryptonian makes a landing like that, everyone else knows it... And are probably finding him not so vulnerable to plasma fire...

Ah, the shock and awe method. Best way to make your opponents reconsider their life choices.

"Anyone else got something to say?" At least you avenged their victim.

As if they'll be smart enough to listen...

Gee, and here I thought the smart guys would be smart. High intelligence... Low Wisdom. :p

And no doubt the Karaxians amongst them are experiencing a minor euphoric moment as they realised they were saved by a Lantern...

No hesitation this time, huh? It's likely that the rest of the hostages are likely to be sacrificed by now...

...Those who aren't already dead, anyway.

Well, some actually smart bad guys. Amazing!

To quote Iron Man during his assault on Gulmira: "He's all your's."

...Heh. I do wonder how many of said Spiders will still be in one piece when they get to that room. I can just picture the grins on the prisoner's faces...

Yeah, OL can move damn fast when he needs to. But the Flash, he is not. I suspect the 'too late' result is going to be the more common outcome than the 'we surrender!'... But at least he can rescue some of their victims, and avenge those he can't. At this point, those getting busted up by Superman are probably going to be the lucky ones, because he isn't likely to go straight to lethal force...

Something got mangled here...
    I look down to where the child is curled up on the floor hugging his legs to his chest.

17. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

So, I've only seen bits of the movie and skimmed the comic, but Manchester's argument is kinda........

In the movie, Manchester kills Atomic Skull after he's beaten and captured. In the comics more or less the same deal, just with some aliens and him ordering Hat to "Tell the Streets to swallow them and then rain acid on their families." which Superman stops.

It's like, my dude what do you want? Superman took down the guys causing problems and either handed them over to the proper authorities or was trying to. If you've got a problem with how they're handled in the aftermath, take it up with the guys who are supposed to be keeping them in prison or whatever, not the guy stopping the villains.

Last I checked, Superman wasn't judge, jury, and executioner.

18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

When who and what was that again?

kerleth likes this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Also the narrative protection of an author.

Because realistically? The instant LePaul's teleported in and killed the leader, every slave in that places head should have exploded due to a dead man switch going off.

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I believe that is a reference to the Daxamite Sodom Yat.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's possible he was a leader rather than the leader.

22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

His main argument was that Superheroes should kill villains like the Joker, Sinestro, Kaiju and random alien invaders because otherwise they tend to keep coming back to kill more people in large numbers. The biggest problem with that is he and his team did not give a crap about collateral damage as well as how they utterly reveled what edgy badasses they were. But their biggest problem was assuming that Superman was weak and that they could simply push him around while being xenophobic blood thirsty edge lords.
    So he almost had a point about the "need" for a group of killer Anti-heroes that end "problems" that cause massive amounts of death/destruction. But he totally undermined with how he did it and thinking that made him so much better than more traditional Superheroes.
    Also, Superman can't be judge, jury, and executioner as first of all he is a symbol of hope/pure good. Second he is way to powerful, if he were to go that route who could stop him?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘A moment later I feel’
    ‘mind-affecting’
    ‘their way’
    I think there is an easy and ethical way. From what I remember of the mechanics of it, assimilation isn’t any worse than death (except maybe if the Lantern wants it to be, but Paragon wouldn’t) and therefore if he is ever going to kill someone, he can just assimilate instead, circumstances permitting. Often it won’t be feasible, but he kills enough people that I think he should get a fair few constructs. That said, he still has several Construct-Lanterns in his ring - that saremite (sp?) fish man, the hellwraith (unless it died and I forgot about it) and a bunch of Reach thralls - and he didn’t use any of them in this situation.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul has the saremite and the Reach thralls, but the hellwraith was destroyed permanently by Demon Nabu, who himself is housesitting the Tower of Fate if Paul's thoughts about leaving him there until someone more suitable shows up went through.

25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Ah right, I had a feeling it might have died.

26. Mr Zoat

Chester was in the right, right up until the point where he got fixated on Superman.
    It was a Guardian prophecy that the SI doesn't know, and in any case 'Sodam' is actually a fairly common Daxamite name.
    I imagine that his foster mother would rather he had a more normal childhood.
    He has it, he just wouldn't wear it outside of an apocalypse.
    Fairly powerful.
    While inelegant, the sentence is accurate as written. But I'll change it.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, but he's part of a failing system. In the case of supervillains, him fighting them and handing them over to a prison he knows can't reliably contain them is part of the problem. With governments, his willingness to let them get away with anything is a big problem.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's right as-is.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Are you referring to the comics, or the version in this story? If the latter, who's his foster mother? Also, all this discussion about Sodam Yat makes me want to see a little more of him, especially if Paul will be having a short space adventure with Superman.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

This story. I think he was stuck with his natural parents until he left Daxam in the comics.
    Lantern Coutara.
    The SI isn't cruel enough to bring a child on a mission like this.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In that case, I'd like to see Paul interact with Sodam Yat, Coutara, and Taranna just to see how these Lanterns fight and spend their off time as a family. It would also be nice to see a few people from Tillettit who still refer to Paul as 'Lord', like with Jade's training roommate.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I think that Superman considers dealing with governments misdeeds a job for Clark Kent.

m_d, Cuchulin, Vorian and 4 others like this.