1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

What happened last year?

Feels like this story has been around forever IRL, but that doesn't mean its been going on that long in setting.

Not sure if M'gann has been around for enough Christmases on Earth to complain about his 'always' taking Console duty on the holiday. Looking at the 1st post, there have been a grand total of three. Including the current/upcoming one.

(I try and remember in setting anniversaries by the special April Fools Day episodes, and we've only had Ambush Big and My Little Pony.)

Ardy, DAT_NOOB and Prince Charon like this.
  2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Ah he's finally thinking like the Treant he is. Long term.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's probably not a good thing given it means someone could use that as a way to control Swamp Thing...

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Aw, the whole thing was sorted out off-screen? Or is it going to take place sometime in the new year, perhaps? I can't imagine the young man can get away from family obligations at this time of year. :confused: Heck, I hadn't even noticed the date in-universe...

...Rather than the possible parade of man-seeking Amazons. And while they aren't on Wonder Woman's level of power, some of them are very skilled fighters.

Ah, someone's got a bug up their butt about possible espionage, then... :rolleyes:

And being the homeland of a Justice League founder may give them a little leverage.

Like, existing deals, that kind of thing?

Ah. Okay, that is a good point. I can see him being pressed to be 'more pro-active about the safety of the American People' or something like that...

Let's hope all goes well, then. Especially if there's any shadowy cabals looking for an avenue of control...

...Eh, at worst, he might be planning on an interplanetary road-trip. Who knows?

Kind of surprised the Parliament of Trees isn't buzzing in his ears about it. Then again, they're expanding the Green after years of deforestation.

...I'd still be a little worried what they're getting up to. Especially after that whole 'make all plants on Earth burn demons...' plan.

Heh. I can't wait to see how they react to some of the things Humans eat.

It's not like Mars does have an equivalent holiday, is it? So I can understand any awkwardness.

Ah, not a follower of the Eastern Orthodoxy, huh? Understandable...

Yes, be a bit awkward to forget that in the middle of all this.

Heh. Let me guess: A chew toy rated for a Danner-enhanced canine? :p I can't imagine sticks or bones lasting long in those jaws.

Oooh, a puzzle box, I bet.

Nor are you going to scan it, just for a peek? Impressive self-restraint.

Heh, what's a little messing around between friends?

Good practice for reading the written language. Can't rely on translations all the time.

So, it's honestly lucky they didn't burn it or something.

Yes, do keep telling yourself that... Packrat. :p

Though, to be fair, the likelihood of them coming looking for it is infinitesimally small.

Yeah, not getting out of a hug that easily, O Prince.

I bet that's a fascinating experience. What do the wants of someone so utterly divorced from the human experience feel like?

Hopefully you're not bursting in in the middle of something... Intimate between him and his wife...

Oooh, has someone been working on a biological internet connection? :p

I bet he even sounds more human, rather than his usual sepulchral groan...

"We're all fine here, thank you... How are you?" :p

Hopefully he won't go doing anything else irrational, like the aforementioned road-trip. Assuming he hasn't already taken it years ago...

...Yeah, that's about the best reaction you could take in this. Smile, nod, and back away to a safe distance.

Well, a pleasant little bit of catching up with old friends. And a surprising turn on the part of Swamp Thing. The joy of the story focusing almost solely on OL's point of view, I guess: Things come right out of left-field sometimes. In the meantime, I suppose we get a bit of fun and games involving the Lanterns tomorrow. And while I doubt the 'Christmas' thing will catch on amongst their friends, it's still an excuse to party. :D

5. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Wow. I'm suddenly remembering Orson Scott Card's later Ender books, where they discovered a method of FTL by growing special trees groves at a planet, and those acted as beacons and processors for directly jumping near any planet with such a grove. There was also an truce with the formic queens at the time that also made true FTL possible, and necessary as they used their psychic abilities and near hive-mind to link everything together to form and direct FTL jumps. And yes, that all makes more sense as you read the series, not my one paragraph of a complicated series of events that lead to that point.

Wonder what a Swamp Thing with bio-computers can do.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Silver City attacked.

Since he said he got help from Pamela Isley, and that he didn't actually know magic before, it might be more accurate to call it a magic bio-computer.

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Wait a second. Paula still hasn’t left Earth before, has she? What a spoilsport! She is missing a chance to take cheesy holiday photos of Jade with her coworkers! To learn about entirely different cultures! To hit on one of Jade’s friends! Oh well, hopefully Artemis will visit sometime in the future…

8. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Paul insulted capital G God on Christmas, and the silver city (heaven) objected. (Themysciran PoV)

Or you could put it as Paul convinced an angel to abandon his duty and seek guidance regarding his orders and the silver city objected to it.

Either way, they responded in a culturally Greek god way, so IDK why Themyscira is worried about it.

9. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Perhaps because of the whole 'IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE REPENT' and Themyscira might have learned a thing or two about how Christianity became such a globally massive religion. They might put in their treaty a rule against allowing missionaries to the island, and even then it would be a tempting target.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

President-Elect

Strictly speaking, this should be a comma instead of a semicolon. This isn't grammatically wrong, but the second part describes "like you said" as an additional detail instead of just being a related-but-independent statement. (Yeah, I know, it's not entirely obvious.)

11. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

They might ban missionaries for being annoying, but I don’t see why they’d be a threat to the Amazons. They’re extremely unlikely to summon angels or whatever, and they’re even less likely to convert an Amazon. Also, they’d probably want to ban Islamic and Jewish missionaries too (do Jews do that stuff?) since they’re all worshipping the same thing in this universe.

Ardy likes this.
  12. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Judaism is an ethnoreligion/closed one. Famously it takes a lot of work to convert. And Judaism is interesting in that it's more about law than faith, as devout Jews can be atheist.

Missionaries have done infamous things to get banned, or tried to do stuff like try to proselytize to an uncontested tribe risking infecting them with disease they have no resistance towards, or disseminating really racist stuff on a Reservation. It could easily cause an Incident if a missionary went to Themescyra. Though given the Helenist proselytizing happening, there could be other reasons for conflict.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm... Just going to change it. Otherwise I'd have to try and understand what you just wrote.

14. Threadmarks: Uncomplicated Good Works (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

25th December 2012
    13:47 GMT -7

I grin as I jog alongside Sarah, hands prepared to catch her if she somehow manages to overbalance on her new bicycle. Beside me, Luna in pony mode canters alongside Clare as she does the same.

"You know, this reminds me of-"

Sarah wobbles and I'm this close to grabbing her before I remember that she has stabilisers and they're fine, it's fine.

"-when I got my first bike."

"Oh? Do they make them that large?"

"No, no, this was on Earth-. Steer, honeybun, steer!"

She turns the handlebars too far and the bike stops, nearly causing her to tumble over.

As soon as she's stable, she looks up at me in protest.

"Daaaddyyyy! Not meant to do that!"

"Then why did you do it?" I reach down and turn the steering column to a more conservative angle. "Turn it a little bit. You need to keep practicing until you learn how to do it right, then you can keep up with Maeve."

"Wanna keep up with Bethany."

"That will take longer, but I'm sure that you'll get there if you work hard at it. Now, off you go!"

She sets her shoulders with an expression of comedic seriousness on her face and pushes her right leg down, pedalling down the trail. I had the g-gnomes come by earlier to clear off the snow because Colorado, but the surrounding landscape is near-pristine white.

Clare actually stopped to wait for her sister, and Luna looks at me expectantly as we return to our place alongside them.

"On Earth Prime. My sister and I got them the same Christmas, and we cycled around the concrete area of our back garden. Until a moment's inattention from my Granddad resulted in me cycling into a rose bush."

"I somehow doubt that the rose bush came off the better."

"Come on, Luna. You know I didn't look like this on Earth Prime. It actually hurt, and I was moving too slowly to cause the bush any harm in retaliation."

"Didst you revenge yourself 'pon it later?"

"No, it's a bush. Or, was. I outlived it." I frown. "Can't remember if it died before the pond got put in or if it was dug up to make way for the pond, but it definitely wasn't a going concern when I left."

I sigh at the recollection.

"The nettles were-"

"You have a call, Lantern Grayven."

"-worse. Who is it?"

"Director Armstrong."

"Ah. Your superior." Luna cocks her head to the side as she smirks at me. "Perhaps she is contacting you to wish you a merry Christmas."

"She's.. not that thoughtful. I'm.. sorry, can you look after Sarah for a moment?"

Her horn glows as a thin band of midnight blue appears around Sarah's waist.

"Thank you." I stop walking and raise my right hand to the side of my head. "Answer."

"Grayven, what the hell's going on in Atlantis?"

Sinestro, location?

The Department of Metahuman Affairs building in Washington DC.

"Katarina, are you working on Christmas day?"

"America's enemies don't rest, so neither do I."

"That sounds like a good way to have a heart attack in your forties. Look, do you want to do this in person? Colorado's beautiful at this time of year. You could do some sightseeing. Join us for tea."

"Did you know about Arion?!"

I look around as Sunset animates a snowman to chase around a group of local children, to their screaming delight.

"Can you be more specific? I've been having the g-dwarves go through-."

"Don't insult my intelligence, Grayven. That he's in Poseidonis right now."

"You've got sources in Poseidonis? Oh, well done! That can't have been easy."

"Start sharing information or I have your children denied diplomatic status and your pet horse barred from the US."

Oh, she's doing a Jonah Jameson and I'm about to get fired. But she's by and large doing a good job. So I don't point out that I can have her fired and get her job. I don't make the observation that I knew a fortnight ago and she clearly didn't because if she had then she'd have had a go at me about it then.

"A colleague of mine mentioned something about that. So far I'm just observing and waiting."

"You're supposed to pass information like that on to the DMA! It's in your God-damned contract!"

"One moment."

"Don't you dare hang up on me."

"No, I just need to check my contract, because as far as I'm aware the wording-."

"He's the US's Most Wanted. He murdered US service personnel and your Un-Men friends."

"Yees, I kn-."

"And as such, your job is to kill or capture him."

"My job is to improve human civilisation. And right now, my contacts are trying to decipher what King Orin is playing at. Once I know, and know for a fact that we're not going to blunder into the middle of an ongoing operation against an extremely dangerous magician, I will apprise you and inform you what -if any- further assistance I require. Of course, if you want to handle it differently then you are at liberty to do so. Now, it's Christmas day. If there's nothing else, then-."

"You want to carry on teaching your kids to ride bikes."

Hm.

Yes, obviously that was supposed to be a low-grade implication-of-threat, but being fair about it I know what she does every moment of the day. I know who she has monitoring Rifle and none of them are outside the normal psychological profile for that sort of work. Most would abduct or murder my children if they were ordered to do so, but none of them would do it for fun. Nifty thing about having Sam in charge of superhuman defence is that he doesn't believe in free will subversion. Not having to worry about Manchurian Candidate-style attackers is a weight off my mind.

"Certainly. Good exercise, and gets them out of the house. Plus, it gets Luna out and about. Hanging around Canterlot Palace the whole time was doing a number on her haunches."

From about half a mile away Luna's head swivels so that she can glare at me. Luna, I happen to know that the reason why Celestia stopped wearing her golden battle armour is that it doesn't fit any more, a piece of information Sunset shared with me for reasons entirely separate from her ongoing Celestia-related emotional tornado.

"So, anything else?"

I hear the beep as she disconnects.

"Merry Christmas. Hope you liked the pet rock."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    tripcode, Phili, explbean and 130 others like this.
  15. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Is she trying to die?

16. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

This lady really likes to poke and prod the dragon, even after it gave her a key to the hoard and told her to play with the coins if she wants. That is not a chip on the shoulder, that's the whole freaking tree!

17. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

In the comics, she fake ordered a nuclear strike on US soil so that when Amanda Waller would try and stop it, she'd be acting against US interests and so Armstrong could have her arrested.

That is the level of galaxy brain in action here.

Her doing something that she thinks will make Renegade obey her only for him to pull her apart like a wishbone is not a matter of if, only when.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow. This lady needs a How-Not-To-Die-By-Suppervillain course run by Waller.

And when Waller is the less confrontational option, well...

19. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

He got her a pet rock? I'm not sure she's the type to be able to look after even that low maintenance a pet.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Aww, that's adorable. I bet they'll be tooling around on those new bikes for days to come, riding them everywhere they can, because it's a new thing to do. No doubt the older kids have had their laughs at the littles being so awed by it...

Never underestimate a child's ability to get into trouble, though. I bet they're feeling very confident with Daddy and his pretty pony princess keeping them safe.

Ha! The joy of being eight feet tall and four feet wide.

Ah, yes, the old mistake. Kids never do anything by halves...

...And of course she's blaming the bike for messing up. :p

Guessing she's tooling around on a mountain bike at high speeds... Though given that they're somewhat tougher than the norm, crashing isn't as big a risk, is it?

At least she'll have a soft landing when she has her first crash. Better than say, a concrete gutter and rough asphalt. :oops: That was not a fun day for me.

...Ow. :confused: Okay, that might have me beat.

Sounds like a prickly situation...

Either way, it's woodchips and you're still around. :p

Let's hope it's just a well-wisher...

...Well, damn. Here's trouble.

Let me guess, Anderson's totally the 'evil never rests, so neither will I' type?

Now, will he take the chance to troll a little for interrupting his private time, or is this an emergency?

Nothing bad, other than an arsehole hanging around. If there were trouble, I would assume Clea would have called.

...There are a few words for people like that. 'Workaholic' is one of the nicer ones.

Forties? Good luck lasting that long, if her reputation is anything to go by.

Heh. They'll probably remember this as their best Christmas ever... Until the next one, anyway.

Is he wrecking shit right now? No? Then it's being handled.

...That is impressive. I'm guessing Atlanteans with sympathies towards America, rather than some kind of sleeper agent.

Yeah, I doubt her voice would get any more pleasant when she starts shrieking imprecations at him...

Perhaps a reminder who's in charge of who around here?

...And his vengeance will be swift and painful. But the time is not right, I'm guessing.

She's not even remotely curious as to what Arion is doing there? Or does she simply assume 'he stops existing, anything he planned will too'?

Very strategic of the Renegade. Aquaman might be running a long con, letting Arion dig himself a deeper hole... Or he might be controlled himself. Either way, better to know beforehand before steaming in like a game of Rainbow Six: Siege with complete idiots...

...Okay, that's crossing the line, lady. I know you're a paranoid lunatic with little restraint, but maybe telling the man New God who would pop your head off with two fingers you're watching him and his kids might be a little much?

Plus the implicit threat of what he might do if his family were threatened, much less harmed, is a good deterrent.

...That's some good hearing. I certainly doubt the Renegade was talking that loud...

Gee, I can't imagine why she's in such a grumpy mood. Then again, I doubt his gift was any kind of contributing factor...

Heh. A nice fluffy moment of family bonding, with a crunchy filling of plot. And a good reason for the Renegade to not be steaming into Poseidonis, all guns blazing, to take Arion's head. After all, if the old sorcerer has the people under control, they'd be obliged to defend him. And I doubt he's willing to commit that sort of atrocity to take Arion's head. Besides, teaching his little girls how to ride bikes is more fun. x3

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Let me guess, the pet rock ran away?

Handlewithcare, Ardy, JoTa34 and 8 others like this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Armstrong is so obnoxious that when the Birds of Prey showed up en masse to strike, Lady Shiva was there.

So Miss "Blue and Orange Morality lady who kills martial arts masters for fun" heard what a psycho-bitch she was and showed up to lend her support for not putting up with her anymore.

Which was surprising.

"Who called Shiva? Seriously, who called Shiva?"

23. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

i don’t know the context of this plan to judge it appropriately. But it sounds like your using sarcasm here.

A nuclear strike on US land seems unwarranted and should be stopped at all cost. Her plan is basically using an under cover cop to bust a drug deal. But in this case, she’s faking extreme circumstances and is trying implicate someone for a manufacturer crime. It doesn’t sound like it would hold up in court to me. Now if JLU has taught me anything it’s that Waller shouldn’t be antagonized.

24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

...She's on a powertrip. I hope she realizes how badly its going to get.

25. Masked Menace

Masked Menace Making the rounds.

Which Sam does he mean here? Because if he means Uncle Sam then isn't he being impersonated by his evil twin right now?

26. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think he means Sam Lane?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  27. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

Tfw your subordinate is more bossy than you are. Kinda weird how comfortable she is threatening a guy who could past her any moment, anywhere, with a single thought. Talk about dead self-preservation instincts.

Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Sam Lane, Lois Lane father.

Uncle Sam can't directly work for the USA government due to technically not being a person.

29. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why is Aquaman giving Arion sanctuary? Does Arion have some leverage over him?

Otto von Saurion and TodaBruh like this.
  30. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

.....I strongly prefer Waller to Armstrong.

Never thought I'd actually want The Wall anywhere near power outside of the apocalypse but there we are.