1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Anaja

Anaja I trust you know where the happy button is?

The TV Tropes page puts the Teen Titans universe with the Red Lantern as Earth 32. Looking back through a number of chapters, including the debut chapter, I didn't see that stated, but there is quite a bit of this story and comments.

Was it actually confirmed in any chapter or other posts?
    I don't remember the show ever being stated to be an Earth 32, but I might have easily missed that.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat made a list of universes and had that world as Earth 32. However, I didn't save the post.

3. Anaja

Anaja I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, it's like I said. A story this long with an author that interacts means that there's a lot to dig through, and that's before you factor in it being spread across three sites.

Do you remember what site or thread it might have been in?

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It was somewhere on this thread.

Anaja likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Threadmarks: Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Earth 534834

8th February 1992
    08:51 GMT -5

Guide dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs, the woman herself faces my general direction with a frown on her forehead.

"I wasn't expecting to speak with you today."

And though I wouldn't be so gauche as to say it, I was expecting someone younger. Though I.. suppose that with her shapeshifting abilities, it's about as hard to guess Ms. Darkhölme's age as it is Logan's.

"Okay? I can leave if you want." I frown. "Ah. Does you not expecting to speak to me mean that I've got some sort of protection against prognostication or does it mean that I've inadvertently broken the universe?"

"I hope that the universe isn't that fragile." She pauses. "But you being here isn't helping. I know that I'm talking to you and I know nothing about this conversation."

I nod sympathetically. "I feel the same way, most of the time."

"Hm." She raises her right hand to her chin. "I heard nothing as you walked up the path. You might have been walking quietly, but I can hear your feet moving now. And you rang the bell. The other possibility is that you flew."

"The second one."

"Are you here to arrest me? My power doesn't lend itself to combat and I'm an old woman. I'd prefer to come quietly rather than be grabbed by a giant robot."

I shake my head. "Those aren't a thing anymore. And I can't arrest you unless I see you committing a crime right in front of me."

"One of Charles' adventurers?"

"One of his students. A.. mature student, obviously."

"Your name?"

The card's no good, because she's blind. I could add the Braille characters to it, but just thrusting something she can't see towards her seems a little rude. "I work under the name 'Orange Lantern'."

She steps back from her door. "You may as well come in. Try not to make too much of a commotion; I'm too old to keep moving every few years."

"Thank you." I frown. "I.. thought that your ability allowed you to walk around?"

She sidesteps around a hall table, a knob-ended cane lying on top of it. I follow her inside and shut the door, her dog coming forward to give me a few sniffs before returning to its mistress's side.

"It usually does. Anywhere where I will walk, I can look a moment or two ahead and use that to navigate. But with you here, I can't, because as far as my power knows there's no chance of this happening."

I nod. "And so no chance that you'll be where you are."

"Not talking to you." She leads the way into the kitchen. "There are any number of things that could cause me to be somewhere else in my own home."

I nod, glancing at the photographs on the wall. Some of a younger Ms. Adler and Ms. Darkhölme, some of other people I don't recognise. The one that draws my attention is a group picture of the two of them with Anne-Marie. Huh. I don't think she has a copy-.

"You've stopped. You're looking at the photograph."

"I was speaking to Ms. Darkhölme a few hours ago."

"Oh? How is she?"

"She was in good health. I think she's up to something evil, so I'm doing a three monkeys impression until it becomes overt." Wait a moment. "Don't you know?"

"I know roughly how well she's likely to be in a variety of situations. It's not the same."

I suppose that makes sense.

Inside the kitchen the dog walks over to its basket and flops down, watching its mistress. Ms. Adler picks up her abandoned mug of tea but leaves the newspaper where it is. Because she doesn't need to read it -she can't- but she can look into any future where she might read it and read it there.

"Well? What brought you here?"

"I read up on your file in Professor Xavier's records. I understand that you were going blind before your ability manifested?"

"That doesn't mean that my precognition didn't cause my blindness, just that it manifested first."

"If you like, I can give you a brain scan more accurate than anything available to human medicine. If it was a side effect or unrelated, it's easy for me to fix."

"Did Charles finally find a mutant healer?"

"Sorry, I don't have an x-gene. And I can only heal certain people. But in your case it's a service I'm happy to provide."

"And why am I part of the elect?"

"I'm Anne-Marie's boyfriend, and I'm here to invite you to our wedding."

I see the tea in her mug shake slightly, so she puts it down on the work surface.

"I didn't see that coming, either."

"No?"

"If anyone, I was expecting Gambit."

I frown. "Really? He didn't seem like the type."

"It wasn't likely. And you invited Raven."

"And Kurt."

"Kurt-? Did you tell Raven you were inviting him?"

"Yes. She didn't really react, but… I suppose that given how long it's been since she had anything to do with him, that.. may just be awkward for her rather than-."

"I wouldn't assume that." She looks thoughtful for a moment. "How long have the two of you been together?"

"About three months. I wanted to.. wait a little longer. She.. emphatically didn't. Um, Professor Xavier managed to transfer Carol Danvers' personality back into her so that's not an issue any more, and when she woke up she didn't seem to really remember Anne-Marie, so we… Probably got away with that."

"It was necessary."

I raise my right index finger. "It was probably necessary. I understand that sometimes you miss consequences."

"That's true." She nods. "And if I can't see you at all, then everything that I thought I knew about her future could be wrong."

"I love the Seldon Plan, and so does my good friend The Mule. But I'm not going to complain because if you hadn't done that I might not have met her. She might have stayed with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants-."

"It was supposed to be in apostrophes."

"I'm sorry?"

"'Evil Mutants'. A place for those cast out of polite society because they were different and so of course they were evil. Creed took it as a challenge." She shakes her head with a grimace. "I've got no idea what she saw in him."

"Okay, but can you come?"

"Do you have a date?"

"I haven't actually asked her yet. Um. Do you have..? Any advice on..? How to go about that?"

"Oh good grief."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  7. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Oh she is just a Treat.

8. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

See, finally someone that views the name the way it should be.

As an incredibly cringe, chunni name someone came up with in their teens because they thought it was cool, and now they can't get rid of. :V

Or as someone making a joke, others appearing to be 100% on board and getting it, until you realise the "joke" part went over everyone's heads and they took it literally.

"Yeah, we're evil!"

"For fucks sake, I was being sarcastic!"

9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

When I clicked on that link I briefly thought it was an old episode of Doctor Who with the white hexagon decor and dramatic dialog.

Sojiko, Cuchulin, Vorian and 12 others like this.
  10. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I actually got that reference, though it is a bit obscure even for people who love Asimov's stories.

FYI, the mule was a mutant with mind reading and mental domination powers who merely by existing disrupted Seldon's plan to restore civilization as quickly as possible after the fall of the previous galactic civilization. Part of The Foundation series of stories.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Vorian and 8 others like this.
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope this becomes a recurring thing between these two.

Cuchulin, Vorian, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah. Her gift having trouble dealing with his unusual nature, or has she been expecting someone else, I wonder? At any rate, if she wasn't expecting him, then she won't be able to know what he wants, or pull that always-annoying precognitive trick of answering questions you were about to ask...

I mean, she was born in the late 19th century. And given that mutant aging is inconsistently depicted over the years, this version might well be over a hundred years old... Which makes her original choice of costume (a slinky blue leotard, boots, gloves, hooded cloak and gold mask) a very courageous choice.

True, a lot of Earth-616 metaknowledge is downright useless when applied to the Animated canon. Lots and lots of changes when they adapted stuff. Sometimes streamlining, sometimes... Confusing. Not least because some of the things we know now weren't written back then.

Hardly something she's unaccustomed to, though a lot of the mutants she's associated with over the years haven't been fliers...

At least she's sanguine about her chances in a fight, and the likelihood of someone wanting her for her talents.

No hiding his age here, thank you. It probably helps that a lot of the X-Men are in their twenties, so he wouldn't have felt a need to lie.

Heh. This must be a complete surprise to her, then.

Though I suspect that application is a case of 'which direction will I not bang my shins into something?' :p

Interesting. He's a complete blind-spot in her future-vision, and disrupting it in proximity. Fascinating implications.

To be fair, even a blind person can memorise the layout of a house, given time and practice. Ever tried to walk to the bathroom in the dark and find yourself taking the right number of steps to reach the door without using a hand to guide yourself?

...Rogue didn't have a copy, since I bet you just scanned it. Nice little bonus present for her.

...Masculine. Though I suspect Irene here would have no problem with that.

And now I'm picturing her getting visions of different alternate universes' timelines. Given how predictably similar some things are, they're probably applicable.

Not a braille copy, I presume. Since she hasn't exactly got Daredevil's ink-sensitive touch. And man, is that ever a stretch of 'I'm blind, so my other senses are better.' :rolleyes:

Ooh, planning to see if the blindness is required for her powers, or if you can give her sight back? That'd be an interesting twist. And a nice wedding present.

Being able to see for the first time in a hundred years might be quite the experience. and depending on his level of 'I want to do nice things for Rogue's family', she might find herself rejuvenated too.

Pity this Lantern doesn't have access to the Danner formula. Or Cap's Super-soldier serum, on that note. ...Unless that was included in the files OL shared with his alternates. :confused:

:VBoom! Conversational bomb dropped. "Hello, I'm your future son-in-law. Surprise."

Given the almost obsessive desire writers have to hook Rogue up with Gambit, I'm not surprised.

...Seriously, are her visions just her being able to see the 'canon' timeline playing out? :p It really feels that way. Would be funny if any predictions related to things Lantern has altered were completely wrong... For this version of history, but not for the canon.

True, Gambit has had a few bad experiences with marriage.

Well, not doing that would be a bit of a rude surprise.

Ah, now for a second round of motherly interrogation. And since Irene has different priorities, this won't come down to 'Rich? Powerful? Good.' like it did with Raven.

One of her long-term plans, eh? I suppose it did provide both women with remarkable character development over the years, but... It wasn't particularly pleasant development.

Gee, it's as if laying down events based on long-term predictions wasn't a marvellous idea. :rolleyes:

And how would you pronounce that? 'The Brotherhood of Eeeviiilll Mutants', with a big dose of sarcasm on the 'Evil'? :p

To be fair, it's Victor fucking Creed, poster boy for evil mutants. o_O No, wait, animated canon. I'm sorry: 'Graydon' fucking Creed.

Ah, see... That's one of the problems...

You said it, Charlie Brown.

Okay, wasn't expecting this, but it is a pleasant surprise. Irene always was a fun character in the comics, deflating Mystique's ego and seriousness with her subtle humour. Pity they felt the need to off her for Drama. I expect she's going to have a few headaches dealing with lantern, though, between his unpredictability and his... Inexperience? Uncertainty? In romantic matters.

Guide dog sniffing cautiously at me from her position next to Irene Adler's legs...
    Perhaps '"I read up on your file in Professor Xavier's records." or delete the 'on'?

13. Mr Zoat

Ah, I see what you mean.
    It's not just that he was a mutant, it's that he was a psychic, and so powerful that he could act on a strategic scale. Psychohistory can't be used to predict the actions of individuals, but that usually doesn't matter because a role can be filled by anyone. At a certain point it's inevitable that someone will do a thing along certain lines. Except that where top tier superpowers are concerned, it matters a lot.
    Thank you, corrected.

14. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Eddings was an AI all along, iterating from a different seed each time. ;)

The good thing is, it's kind like rereading a story you really liked, but it isn't exactly the same each time.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Physically mature, maybe, but mentally...

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well it has sometimes been hinted that the chemicals that blinded him altered him to have enhanced senses.

Even if he got some of those things, they may not work due to potential metaphysical differences between universes.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  17. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Your boyfriend is an Idiot.

Irene he's not that bad!

Anne-Marie he's a good man with a good heart and it's obvious how much you love each other.
    But the boy had a head full of rocks, well at least you have better taste in men than Raven.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

How did he shut those down? The organization that made them?
    Assuming he didn't do any convenience editing?

19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul has a knack for meeting older, cranky ladies who are exasperated by him.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  20. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Oh, that link just took me down a Rabbit hole. Now I want to give the Books a try. I see Apple TV has made a TV show out of it, with Season 1 having aired and a Season 2 on the way. I wonder if I should watch that instead?
    Can't find Book 1 for free anywhere (to see if I like it)

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I believe he previously mentioned the HUGE violation of Human Rights, along with the American Constitution that Giant Killer Robots Abducting Citizens Without Due Process it was. And really, earth based AI Master Mold vs Malthus AI Power Ring....I'm gonna go with the Ring. Now if we had Nimrod due to time travel shenanigans we might have more of a problem.

Ardy, Vorian, Doccer and 4 others like this.
  22. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

she also had a woman who had perfect recall burned alive just because she didnt like the fact that said woman hated being a mutant.

okay but HOW did it happen? did he meet someone from the government? did he file a lawsuit? i mean he obviously can track down mastermould but how did he stop someone from restarting the project?

Doccer likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

The early episodes of the series involve the X-Men wrecking the factory and their database. The organisation that made it was the US government.
    The SI doesn't have that power. And he finds plausible deniability useful where Xavier is concerned.
    Go and watch the series.

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Doctor Who copied that guy.

They copied a whole lot of the big three in science fiction and they later went and copied the grandfather of science fiction, Jules Verne, cause why not?

Doccer likes this.
  25. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Posted from phone so excuse formatting errors
    Trask got told by the president to stop after the x-men hit the mutant registration bureau

iirc she outright asked if the mutants had a good reason to feel threatened

plus having a sentinel wreck a mall makes for bad press

Vorian and Windona like this.
  26. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh with this family I'm sure the superhero wedding will be completely calm, uneventful, and drama free, with zero supervillain attacks or shouting matches at all whatsoever.

Don't need Irene's powers to see how unlikely that is : )

Now Paul just has to fight the Mandarin, and decide who gets what ring at what time.

Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  27. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, shows that Paul isn't perfect, but really... Not even a date.

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Called it!

In some continuities the exact same accident and spill was also the origin story of the Ninja Turtles, so it's entirely plausible.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    21:06 GMT

"Orange Lantern." Athyns sounds like he's in good health, though something of the timbre he had while using the Seeds is missing. Hopefully that's been resolved by… Whatever this civilisation is now calling itself. "What brings you here?"

I hang back slightly as the Ascendants' ships fly in the direction of New Chronos. The damage has long since been repaired, and… It looks like they've expanded the docks. Asteroids have been dragged into near-Minosyss orbit to be taken apart by new orbital stations, and I can detect the network of interdiction fields and detection networks.

"Bit of a problem in Karrakan's system. The Reach attacked, and then Grayven attacked them."

"Thiva?"

Her ships are heading towards New Chronos at high speed. I… Hm. There's one advanced settlement very visible on the surface. I didn't ever find out how good the New Titans' building technology was. It seems to me that they'd probably do what the New Gods of New Genesis do: keep all advanced technology and magic up in 'Supertown' and leave the rest as a primitive wasteland. But it looks like they've decided to actually do something with the local people. That'll be useful.

In a generation or two.

"It is as he says. Everything we built there has been destroyed, and Grayven and the Reach are fighting over Karrakan itself. Grayven has Ascendants among his followers."

"Lantern, while I appreciate your work in reuniting my people, we are not your allies in your war with the Reach."

"I understand that. I'm just accompanying these ships, and I'll clear off if you want."

"Grayven was trading with Sparta. He had Ascendants serving him."

"I couldn't feel their influence myself, but the ships were of a design to require that."

"Thiva, take the ship carrying Grandmother Rhea's remains to the surface at once. We will prepare for Grayven's arrival. The rest will dock with New Chronos."

"Yes, Athyns."

"Orange Lantern, we… I, have no wish to join your war. On any side."

"I'm glad to hear it."

"I have been expecting you to attempt to recruit us."

"The Controllers will feel obliged to Minosyss. This is the first time we've encountered Grayven since his declaration of war. Without us having an immediate need to fight New Gods, they felt that it was better to leave you be."

"Why haven't either of them approached us?"

"Not sure. I'd guess that Grayven already has a… Excuse the phrasing, 'breeding population' of Ascendants, and so doesn't need you, and the Reach… Probably hasn't heard of you. Depending on whether or not they capture anyone on the surface, they may not find out even now."

"But they knew of Karrakan."

"Yes, but… With the L.E.G.I.O.N. ships that have been flying through it, it's perfectly possible that they just knew that we were interested in it."

"I don't think that is why they were there." Thiva certainly sounds dubious. "That was a great many ships for an investigation."

"It would also work as a trap for me. What they did to lock us in the system, that's not what their usual system interdiction devices look like."

Oh. Ring, update Controller Hinon.

Compliance.

"So if the Reach kill Grayven, there's no real reason for them to come here even if they know here exists. If they don't, and you don't ally with Grayven, there shouldn't be any problem."

"And if they decide that they do not want to take a risk?"

"You're not part of the conflict. You could.. call in the Green Lantern Corps. Them picking a fight with you would violate their treaty. If they limit themselves to sieging the system, you could bypass that with boom tubes, or… Just… Not? Did you feel an urgent need to go elsewhere?"

"No. And we will not for quite some time. Having them picket our system wouldn't really impede our work here."

"So that's a perfectly fine result. Of course, if Grayven turned up… He can probably track boom tubes, and Sparta would almost certainly have been sharing information with him."

"What will he demand?"

"I don't know. He was fairly hands-off with Sparta, but he might have expected her to declare her allegiance after she won. Or he might have been satisfied with the service of those Ascendants who wanted to work for him. Or he might just have wanted the Sun Eaters to use against the Reach."

"How much success has he had against them?"

"We don't.. really know. The thing is… N.E.M.O. has incorporated as many of the worlds on the periphery of Reach space as we can. We've been in contact with literally all of them. Grayven's personal followers are gordanians, from the Vega Systems. But they're not going home to recruit new soldiers. So where are his shipyards? Where is he getting raw materials from?"

"The ships of the Ascendants can self-repair."

"Sure, but with no raw materials for the repair systems? And… Major damage? There weren't any reports of him using ships like his Ascendant captains are using before now. Where is he building them? Is he capturing worlds at all, or just fighting like the tau?"

"Please explain."

"N.E.M.O.'s aim in the early stage of the war is to take back worlds that have native populations on them so that we can remove whatever mind control the Reach used on them. If the Reach fleet in the area pulls back, we'll probably let it go because killing Reach citizens isn't our specific aim. For the tau, the objective is the enemy. Grayven isn't trying to save anyone. Yes, he probably wants to take Reach territory and industry, but if he doesn't need it to maintain his current fleet, then he might just be treating Reach fleets as his objective and going after them."

"Do you know what he would do if we went to his aid?"

"No. The gordanians I spoke to seemed perfectly happy being ruled by him, so I doubt that he's a particularly bad tyrant. He might expect you to kneel at once, or he might treat it as a favour."

"How would you take it?"

"Honestly, we'd be happy for Grayven to take the entire core of Reach territory. We just want the bits around the edge so that we can restore them to the species who lived there before the Reach wiped them out. We'd much rather make common cause than fight him."

"Why didn't he agree?"

"I don't know. Maybe he felt like he needed to look strong and independent. Or maybe he plans to conquer us as well. A lot of the species who signed up with N.E.M.O. were fairly sure that Maltus would be treating them like vassals, but they did it anyway because at least that meant that someone had a plan for fighting the Reach."

"Would our position be weakened by aiding him?"

"It will piss off the Reach and eliminate your defence under their treaty with the Green Lantern Corps."

"I need more information."

"It's usually helpful."

"I thank you for your counsel. Please, come to New Othrys. I want to show you what we've made here."

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"do what"

"built"

"Nor any side"

"an immediate"

Unless they want to achieve godhood and experimenting on you will achieve that.

Hmm, with his powers, conquering his foes would make him more powerful.

He's Apokoliptian so he may not be capable of viewing anyone he views lesser in any way as an ally.

Plus, if he did leave Darkseid then he may not want to be anything other than independent.

"we've"

So what happened to the New Titans?

Are they still comatose?