• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

...I must admit, I'm a bit confused as to what happened in this scene. Might be because I have a bit of a hangover... would any kind soul be willing to roughly explain it for me?
From my reading of it, Karmang played the peacemaker until he maneuvered the entire Red leadership into one place, then suckered them into a mental-communion while he started casting H'ronmeer's Curse, which turns on the Burning Martian matter disruption aura without stabilizing it. This causes everyone affected to burst into unquenchable flames as their own powers burn them to nothingness.

Edit: ninja'ed

Father still holds court, despite that being an institution introduced by Queen Hegra, who was...
Father still holds court, despite that being an institution introduced by Queen Heggra, who was...
(According to Google and the Wiki-sphere...)

Tamaran still has High Councils, where the great and good migrate to the capital for a month or so every decade to make the reigning monarch's life miserable.
At least it, presumably, isn't met with demands for bank-breaking wardrobes by noblewomen, like most medieval cultures would have. Less fabric involved, for a start... :D

J'emm's now sits there, while the seat that was his as the ruler of s city is occupied by S'yrra.
J'emm now sits there, while the seat that was his as the ruler of his city is occupied by S'yrra.

Another section for the priesthood, who if they were human I'm sure would be staring down their Abraham-figure with open hostility.
Typical. Any threat to their position and it's all scowls.

...and a great many White who want their status improved by don't want to constantly...
...and a great many Whites who want their status improved and don't want to constantly...
(the 'by' appears to have been leftover from a previous version of the sentence?)

"It's in my gift." If only because no one wants it.
Not sure of this phrasing. Googling it shows it's a real usage, but it might be confusing to less well-read guests. Perhaps "It's in my power to give." would scan better?

Karmang grows an extra pair or arms and makes a few gestures.
Karmang grows an extra pair of arms and makes a few gestures.

No, not really. It isn't doing a thing to me, and there are… Sixteen Sorcerer Priests right there. This place is almost certainly warded-.
And the penny drops...

"He's the Primate of the monastery Karmang went to; the Hall of H'ronmeer, named after the student of Karmang who established it."
...Welp...

Hidden link here, folks!

...my blood flowing freely as grab his head and squeeze!
...my blood flowing freely as I grab his head and squeeze!

I try freeing my left arm, and lose all feeling in it as the blades slice be to the bone!
I try freeing my left arm, and lose all feeling in it as the blades slice me to the bone!
Karmang and T'Pexor vanish as the Planetary Council burst into flame!
Oh, Come ON! </Rainbow Dash> Seriously, This is going to blow the bloody doors off all of M'arzz. Reds are going to scream "We can't trust the White SCUM!" White radicals will rise up en masse and everyone else will get caught in the fallout.

Last edited:
Father still holds court, despite that being an institution introduced by Queen Heggra, who was...
(According to Google and the Wiki-sphere...)
J'emm's now sits there, while the seat that was his as the ruler of s city is occupied by S'yrra.
J'emm now sits there, while the seat that was his as the ruler of his city is occupied by S'yrra.
...and a great many White who want their status improved by don't want to constantly...
...and a great many Whites who want their status improved and don't want to constantly...
(the 'by' appears to have been leftover from a previous version of the sentence?)
Karmang grows an extra pair or arms and makes a few gestures.
Karmang grows an extra pair of arms and makes a few gestures.
...my blood flowing freely as grab his head and squeeze!
...my blood flowing freely as I grab his head and squeeze!
I try freeing my left arm, and lose all feeling in it as the blades slice be to the bone!
I try freeing my left arm, and lose all feeling in it as the blades slice me to the bone!
Thank you, corrected.
Not sure of this phrasing. Googling it shows it's a real usage, but it might be confusing to less well-read guests. Perhaps "It's in my power to give." would scan better?
I like to think that I don't talk down to my readers. Unless they really deserve it.
Tamaran still has High Councils, where the great and good migrate to the capital for a month or so every decade to make the reigning monarch's life miserable.
At least it, presumably, isn't met with demands for bank-breaking wardrobes by noblewomen, like most medieval cultures would have. Less fabric involved, for a start... :D
Have you any idea what tassels retail for on Tamaran?

Well things escalated nicely there.

I wonder if that means we'll get to see lovecraftian Voltrun Martian gestalts.

Because that's a thing they can do in the comics. Here's a picture of some Saturnians, who have the same powers as Martians, forming a gestalt.

1035770-martian_manhunter_16_00fc.jpg

"You two form the arms, you two the legs, and faces for everybody!"

I wonder if that means we'll get to see lovecraftian Voltrun Martian gestalts.
Sorry, your accent confused me for a moment there. Where I'm from, we write that as Voltron.
It likely depends on the material and manufacturing, so it's probably something insane for the mass and volume involved.
Especially when you remember that their transport links and farmlands are only just getting back into full operation.

I'm torn. On the one hand I'm really impressed with this gambit and how successful it was. On the other I'm sort of appalled at how Karmang went and murdered a bunch of people in the middle of a goddamn peace conference Then again, if he's certain that the racist ruling class would never agree to liberalization...

I'm torn. On the one hand I'm really impressed with this gambit and how successful it was. On the other I'm sort of appalled at how Karmang went and murdered a bunch of people in the middle of a goddamn peace conference Then again, if he's certain that the racist ruling class would never agree to liberalization...
They aren't dead yet, and Grayven might be able to save some of them. I suspect that he'll prioritize J'Emm, as he knows him and seems to like him a little.

Judging by the memories he's showing, I don't think he actually cares and just wants revenge.

They aren't dead yet, and Grayven might be able to save some of them. I suspect that he'll prioritize J'Emm, as he knows him and seems to like him a little.
Wouldn't turning into burning Martians like M'gann fix this? It's sort of giving Karmang what he wants, but not really... Fairly sure they could remove Guardian programming then add it back on later if they wanted to.

Well... aren't they fireproof and only mentally affected by fire? Technically giving him as much time as he needs? Most of them can probably just face-tank it.
Uncertain. Karmang described what he did as "Turning the matter disruption aura on without stabilising it." That may mean that it is killing them, and that's the assumption a lot of us are making.

Well... aren't they fireproof and only mentally affected by fire? Technically giving him as much time as he needs? Most of them can probably just face-tank it.

In this story Burning Martians aren't actually pyrokinetic but rather pull comic book physics bullshit that looks like fire. I remember that being established back when Paul and the Team pulled an Alien moment underwater in the Guardian ship with Burny.

Also according to word of Greg Martian durability is from armoring themselves through density manipulation. "They can use the density shifting to increase their density to be more durable(near-invulnerable). But not to have more strength. They can increase their strength by focusing their telekinesis in their body similar to Tactile Telekinesis."

Although I'd imagine the practical differences are that it's a learned skill, and if you catch a YJ Martian by surprise you could theoretically catch them unarmored.

Although since all YJ shows is Megan surviving explosions, energy blasts, and physical attacks, I can hardly blame someone for being surprised at that news.

Or at least I can't recall Megan ever proclaiming that her density shifting saved her.

Basically the equivalent of Jesus returning to the UN and magically setting everyone on fire.

That is a pretty accurate description for comparison's sake. But I think Karmang is more Burning Martian than anything else. And we readers know how they loved to resolve things within this story.

My guess is the whole situation resolves with the Hyper Clan being hunted down after Karmang bites it after being attacked by ALL other sides. Karmang gets the unification he wants, but gets sacrificed in the process.

No matter how powerful he (Karmang) is, Graven has access to far more magical resources and the people of Mars will not take kindly to him trying to establish a new system through violence when they were attempting to negotiate at a friggin peace conference.

Shows you cannot trust someone like that to keep their word at all, which will unite everyone against Karmang. Which actually might be the point, he could be nearing the end of his long magical life and is faking being well. Or he removed his Guardian programming and is losing his mind slowly and knows it and wants to steer things in a better direction.

...I must admit, I'm a bit confused as to what happened in this scene. Might be because I have a bit of a hangover... would any kind soul be willing to roughly explain it for me?

In addition to what else was said on the matter, the thing that tipped off Grayven is the use of the name H'ronmeer.

In the comics, pretty much all of the Martian species is dead due to a psychic plague called H'ronmeer's Curse, that was originally created by J'onn's brother Ma'alefa'ak.

My guess is the whole situation resolves with the Hyper Clan being hunted down after Karmang bites it after being attacked by ALL other sides. Karmang gets the unification he wants, but gets sacrificed in the process.

No matter how powerful he (Karmang) is, Graven has access to far more magical resources and the people of Mars will not take kindly to him trying to establish a new system through violence when they were attempting to negotiate at a friggin peace conference.

Shows you cannot trust someone like that to keep their word at all, which will unite everyone against Karmang. Which actually might be the point, he could be nearing the end of his long magical life and is faking being well. Or he removed his Guardian programming and is losing his mind slowly and knows it and wants to steer things in a better direction.
Problem is, not only would people like B'enn B'lanx flat out approve of Karmang's actions (though he might be peeved about being left out of the loop) the simple fact that Karmang is the one who did it lends it legitimacy in some quarters.

It does not mean "It's my gift to you, no conditions and obligations"? Oh well, good thing I've read comments. This high speech figures always not what I thought it is, the biggest offender so far is thinking "Have at you!" is some strange Castlevania mistranslation. Thanks, Chojin Patriarch!

I like to think that I don't talk down to my readers. Unless they really deserve it.

Just non-native speaker thingie, I suppose. I hope must people either knew what it means or were confused enough to actually google.

It does not mean "It's my gift to you, no conditions and obligations"? Oh well, good thing I've read comments. This high speech figures always not what I thought it is, the biggest offender so far is thinking "Have at you!" is some strange Castlevania mistranslation. Thanks, Chojin Patriarch!

Just non-native speaker thingie, I suppose. I hope must people either knew what it means or were confused enough to actually google.
I'm a native speaker and Googled it and I'm still not sure what it means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back