1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Ilikebob

Ilikebob Stuck in a jar

Well I know that you can use papayas as ketchup, but not banana, so that's new for me.

Biigoh and Salbazier like this.
  2. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I think you could use every fruit as a ketchup incredient.

Biigoh likes this.
  3. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Potato ketchup.

Biigoh and Imabot like this.
  4. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Are potatoes a fruit?

Biigoh likes this.
  5. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Ketchup is just sauce made out of blended vegetables or fruits. My mom makes homemade ketchup out of zucchini.

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  6. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

I normally only encounter tomato ketchup in my day to day life, but I've tried a few others. <shrug> It's not that weird.

Biigoh likes this.
  7. Threadmarks: How to Add Rice to Chicken Soup - The Interwebs
    killyousweetie

killyousweetie Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Do you love and know how to cook? Even if you don’t know how, I want to give you an excellent soup recipe.

How To Add Rice To Chicken Soup
    The recipe on this page is quite simple and you will be satisfied.

[​IMG]

8. Threadmarks: Gordon Ramsey's Recipes for School Lunches - Youtube
    Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I think Gordon Ramsey in generally is an amazing guide... sure, there's no hard numbers... but he makes it look like an art to estimate proportions.

9. Threadmarks: extra crispy thai sweet and spicy wings - Student of Zelretch
    Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

Pollock? yeah, ketchup goes just fine with that. Also, I l'm going to try that fires sandwich, only with wings, tomorrow.

Edit: Tax
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/wing-week-extra-crispy-thai-sweet-and-spicy-w.html
    I like to add about 1 tbsp of garlic granules, double or triple the garlic (to taste), and change to about a quarter cup total of corn starch dissolved in half a cup of water to the sauce so it gets nice & thick. If you want to substitute port for the sherry or a 1:1 of white vinegar and sake for rice vinegar, it's fine, but otherwise i'd leave the liquids alone.

Then for the batter, make about 2.5 times as much dry as they say to mix up, and crack extra eggs as needed. This recipe has ruined most wing sauces for me, & the batter is crunchy without being too excessive.

Dinner tonight:[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Biigoh, Imabot, Sydonai and 2 others like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Asian braised Pork Belly + Steak Enhancers - Raven1138
    Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

May as well make a pair of contributions from my personal favorites:

First off, Asian braised Pork Belly from the website Pixilated Provisions

Ingredients
    • 2 lbs pork belly
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • 1 tbsp brown sugar
    • 1/3 cup water
    • 1 cup sake
    • 1 cup soy sauce
    • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    • 1 2-inch piece of ginger, sliced
    • 6 garlic cloves, crushed
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 2 star anise
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 2 dried chiles de arbol
    • 1 tbsp black peppercorn
    • 4 scallions
    Instructions
    1. Preheat an oven to 325°F. Place the pork belly in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Make sure to skim the foam.
    2. Remove the pork belly from the water and cut into 16 equal square pieces.
    3. In a dutch oven, mix the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Add the pork belly and coat.
    4. Add the sake, soy sauce, chicken broth, ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves, chiles de arbol, and black peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven.
    5. Bake for 30 minutes . Add the scallions. Cover again and bake for another 30 minutes.
    6. Increase the heat of the oven to 375°F. Remove the cover and bake for 40 minutes. Stir the contents every 10-15 minutes to help brown all sides of the pork.
    7. After the pork has cooked, take a cup of the sauce the pork cooked in and placing it in a saucepan. In a bowl, combine 2 tsp cornstarch with 1 tsp water. Add that to the saucepan and whisk until the sauce thickens.
    8. Serve the pork on top of rice and drizzle with the thickened sauce.

A pretty dead simple recipe that only really requires a good dutch oven and a free afternoon to let it braise. And the best part is that pork belly, while discovered, is pretty cheap unless you go nuts in trying to get an expensive quality of pork.

And on the topic of gourmet taste for bottom dollar, here’s something from Guga Foods on Youtube on how to elevate a steak with a compounded butter using smoked bone marrow.

And the recipe from the description is dirt simple.
    • 1 stick of salted butter, slightly at room temp for easier manipulation
    • 3 peeled cloves of garlic
    • 3 tbsp of smoked bone marrow (video has demos of how to prep the marrow and smoking techniques)
    • 2 tbsp of crispy bacon bits (smaller the better)
    • 1 tbsp of chopped parsley
    All you have to do combine the ingredients in a hand mixer cup, use said mixer to incorporate the ingredients to a fine paste then transfer the paste to a sheet of cling film. Use the film to roll it into a nice tight log and put in the fridge to firm up. And if you are not using it all up that evening, it keeps in the freezer like a champ.

Much like the pork belly, more major supermarkets are starting to stock marrow bones. My best advice is to see if your butcher has packs of the long femur bones as those have the most marrow to extract. If you can get a canoe cut to them, then it will make your life even easier pulling out the Butter of the Gods

Ilikebob, Rakdos92, Imabot and 3 others like this.
  11. Student of Zelretch

So, I have something like 170 pounds of ground beef in my freezer. Anyone got hot idea other than burgers for me?

Biigoh likes this.
  12. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

That's a lot of beef. You must have a big freezer.

Ideas that come to mind include cottage pie, rissoles, authentic bolognese, lasagne, chilli, nachos, tacos, savory meat pie, old fashioned mincemeat pie, swedish meatballs (only if you can get lingonberry jam), scotch eggs... maybe meatloaf?

Biigoh likes this.
  13. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Mincemeat with rice or noodles.

Biigoh likes this.
  14. Threadmarks: Turkish Beef Pide - Youtube
    Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

15. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cook up a pound with carrots, ginger, and onions with a capful of Jamaican curry and throw it on some mashed potatoes.

Seriously though, that's a year of beef once a day.

Biigoh likes this.
  16. Student of Zelretch

Thanks for all the suggestions, will post results of what I make. Yeah, we bought half a cow, a bit less than half that was ground. Came out to about 5.50 a pound for grass fed beef after processing.

edit: Meat (roughly ~376 pounds of beef)
    [​IMG]
    2 layers of roasts, soup bones, & a couple steaks over ~ 170 pounds of ground
    [​IMG]
    >100 pounds of steak & other assorted cuts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  17. konamikode

konamikode Objectified SI

Good God.

Biigoh likes this.
  18. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Biigoh likes this.
  19. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Ice.

Biigoh likes this.
  20. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Ah, deep freeze then.

Biigoh likes this.
  21. Student of Zelretch

Those freezers are about 0 Fahrenheit, yeah. Might get a little texture damaged if it thaws slightly, but we have plenty of places nearby that we could rent a generator from if there was a power outage longer than 3 hours (unlikely in the extreme outside deepest winter, where we could stick it all on our 3 season porch.)

for reference, When I helped clean the standing freezer out to transport to my place from grandparents this past summer, there was fish labeled 2014 in there that we cooked that night. They have had several day long outages since then, and that fish was perfectly fine, no texture or taste loss noticeable.

22. sunandshadow

sunandshadow Impractical Fantasy Animal

Ground beef could be used for tacos/burritos, chili/sloppy joe, beef stroganoff, meatballs (bbq, swedish, or traditional), meatloaf (surprisingly good with sweet and sour glaze), shepherd's pie, lasagne, or really any kind of mac and cheese or goulash can have ground meat added.

Biigoh and Ilikebob like this.
  23. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

It's quite versatile.

Biigoh and Ilikebob like this.
  24. Stephen the barbarian

Stephen the barbarian I trust you know where the happy button is?

this is not uncommon where i live, a deep freeze like can keep meat near indefinitely as long as it's is good working order and the meat is tightly wrapped like what is shown or vacuum packed

where you have issues is when the meat is exposed to air or the freezer is getting older and the seals, insulation, or pump starts to conk out

and a well stocked and well maintained freezer can last several days without power so long as the door stays closed

now i also come from a family who considers anything a full freezer to be half a beef, a full pig, a lamb, 20 chickens, and 50 lb's of wild game

25. Threadmarks: Anime Meat - Konamikode
    konamikode

konamikode Objectified SI

26. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Got a question for the thread. Yesterday was my birthday and as a gift my folks gave me a IKich Sous Vide machine along with some vacuum bags. So does anyone else here do any sous vide cooking and if so any tips, recipes or recommend pieces of kit to grab?

Biigoh likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Sous Veve - Youtube
    Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Well, there's the channel Sous Veve on Youtube. But my impression was while they do cook meals, they have also an experimental bend.

They tend to play around with various changes to details on how you can sous vede meat.

Biigoh likes this.
  28. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Already subbed to them, was also checking here for any additional tips and pitfalls to avoid.

Biigoh likes this.
  29. Threadmarks: Tomato Onion Vegetable Medley Soup - Ursatempest
    UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Tomato Onion Vegetable Medley Soup

The base recipe is here. It's actually good, I swear. Anyway, I like this recipe, because it doesn't take long. Should be done in thirty minutes to one hour - quick for homemade meal, which makes it great for breakfast. Hearty and savory. I use roughly 1 liter pot, and it makes two serving in reasonable condition, one serving if you're ravenous, and three serving with additional bulk staple (like if you eat it with rice, for example).

It should be noted there are no animal component of this recipe, but feel free to toss several meatballs and such if you want. Or boil an egg or a couple, too.

What You'll Need
    1. A pot (I'll assume you use 1 liter pot).
    2. A stove.
    3. A stiff spatula that won't bang your pot (I suggest wooden ones)

The core ingredients
    1. A quarter of onion (or half if it's a small onion)
    2. A scallion (probably replaceable with leek)
    NOTE: You can replace the above with anything onion-y, but those are the one I use the most.
    3. Two small tomatoes.
    4. One teaspoon of salt.
    5. Third teaspoon of MSG.
    6. Some cooking oil.
    7. Water.

The bulk ingredients
    The actual ingredients really depend on what's available on my fridge, see. But those are good overview.

1. A medium carrot, or two small ones.
    NOTE: Replaceable with other sweet roots, I think. Like sweet potato. Or sweet 'hard' things, like pumpkin.
    2. Two or three layer of small napa cabbage.
    NOTE: Any brassica will do.
    3. A handful of green beans.
    NOTE: Other peas should do. You'll want something young, though.
    4. Some greenies. I've used water spinach, bok choy, and others.
    5. Two to four cloves of garlic.

Making the vegetable stock
    1. Ready the ingredients within your reach.
    2. Chop the entire scallion, put 'em to pot.
    3. Cut the onion to half-moon shape, put 'em to pot.
    4. Half the tomatoes, but don't add them to pot yet.
    5. Add enough oil to the pot to coat the onion-y mix.
    6. Add salt to onion-y mix as well.
    7. Set your stove to high and try to caramelize your onion. Fail.
    8. I mean, you probably can do it but look this recipe assume 30 minutes to one hour cooking time.
    9. So just sautee 'em until they're a bit brown, then throw in the tomatoes.
    10. Use your spatula to soften and deform the tomatoes.
    11. It'll burn a bit, but that's alright. Keep sauteeing until it's just over the edge of burning.
    12. Turn the heat off, add water until it cover 2/3 of your pot.

Cooking the bulk ingredients
    The idea is pretty simple: you want to cook the hard part longer, soft part shorter. So, the first to go in are carrot and other root vegetable, or pumpkin. Then brassica, then beans, then leaf. Incidentally, if you find the above part questionable, you can just ignore it and add those ingredients here instead!

1. Peel and chop your carrot. Put 'em into the pot. And the MSG, too.
    2. Turn the stove on high.
    3. It'll take a while to boil, and even more time for the carrot to soften. Organize the ingredients. Take a quick shower. Shitpost on QQ. Whatever.
    4. When it boiled, calmly chop the napa cabbage and put them into the pot.
    5. Chop and clean the beans, and put them in as well.
    0. At any time, try tasting the broth. It should taste savory already. If not, make appropriate adjustment. It's better to salt early!
    6. Add greenies or herb or anything that required quick cooking if you have 'em. If not, proceed to the last step.
    7. Peel garlic, cut the root part. Then smash them. With all your might. Put them into the pot. Turn off the heat.
    8. Give a stir or two and taste the broth. Adjust as necessary. Maybe add some pepper, but in most case it's not really necessary.

kinglugia, Imabot, Biigoh and 2 others like this.
  30. Stephen the barbarian

Stephen the barbarian I trust you know where the happy button is?

so, i just steam juiced a small batch of apple juice, later this week i'm planning on doing the same with plums, and next weekend i'll break out the press for cider