1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

The thing that infuriates me is how so many people who were sanctimonious assholes about their decision to wear a mask turned out to be total hypocrites who will not give a fuck against forced to by law. It’s a slap in the face of all of us sanctimonious assholes who actually meant it.

2. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

... and meanwhile, two pneumonia deaths at my wife's work this month.

Because, yaknow, COVID's over.

/me continues living and working and trying to teach small children godforsaken English in the goddamn woods.

3. Amazon Climber

Oh, since I’m here - and the mods haven’t answered my question in appeals - I like to apologize for one specific part of the general bitching debacle. Specifically, that I inadvertently spread misinformation. Here I called the death toll a weekly 9/11; here I corrected myself. As it turns out, I was right the first time: I misread the weekly death average as a weekly average, not per day. At over 400 deaths per day, it’s still a weekly 9/11. I was wrong for correcting myself, and I’m sorry.

4. BastOfTheXV

BastOfTheXV Ave Imperator! Remember Prospero!

As someone who's had Covid: Get vaccinated. If I hadn't been vaccinated I would have been a lot worse off than I was.

5. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Two of my uncles died from it last year.

da3monh0st3d likes this.
  6. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

Well, you can't fix stupid.

:V

Aaron Fox likes this.
  7. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Some people only learn from personal experience.

They tend to serve as examples for the rest of us.

8. Zyr0TruthExists

Zyr0TruthExists Welp, that happened

Yeah, its quite annoying.

9. evildice

10. The-Lewd-Dude

The-Lewd-Dude Experienced.

I legitimately think there was a missed opportunity for cool custom facemasks, during this whole thing.
    get some celebs wearing them and we might have seen a few less infected from people following the trend

11. zup

zup Experienced.

Though the one pictured looks hot rather than cool.

Some model that would not make my jaw ache when worn would have been nice to have.

12. evildice

Well it is winter here.

Regarding jaw ache, the ball gag is technically optional.

da3monh0st3d likes this.
  13. Highlord

Highlord Versed in the lewd.

Hell, for most of the lockdown I wore a half-mask P100 respirator when in public. Same model I wear at work for hours on end, so it not like I'm not used to it. Once saw a guy in a full MOPP hood and gasmask, too.

I'd totally have gone for a full Mandalorian helmet if I could afford one.

14. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

Hey, I'd wear it. I definitely don't have the patience to make one, but if I could buy one and it uses replaceable filters I totally would.

Grey Lantern, Vorian and evildice like this.
  15. Arc-on-Fire

Arc-on-Fire I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well... long story short an irresponsible old woman coughed on me and now I have COVID. I am preparing for the worst: lots of water and rest and maybe a cold bath or two for the fever. The worst part about all this, is that I live alone. I have my industrial heaters running at full blast to keep my house warm since I ran out of wood for my woodbox. I hope to the lord that a blackout doesn't happen. Symptoms showed up around last night, feels just like a cold but I am expecting the worst since Cholera (yes, I caught cholera).

16. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

Mate, I'm sorry!

I can't believe some people can be really be selfish c#nts!

:eek:

17. Grey Lantern

Grey Lantern Versed in the lewd.

yeah people are just dicks sometimes, i was doing groceries the other day and this old dude just fucking coughed in the cashier's face, like fuck dude at least put your hand over your mouth or something.

Prince Chrom and Renko like this.
  18. Zyr0TruthExists

Zyr0TruthExists Welp, that happened

We once had a patient a few years back where we had to tell them they were AIDS positive; Their response was to rip out out the IV and start trying to get blood everywhere, including getting some on one of the nurse's face. Thankfully he didn't up actually swallowing or letting any of that blood into his body and so he didn't end up getting it, but dear fucking god was that a moment of terror and anger.

19. evildice

20. evildice

21. bryanfran36

bryanfran36 Experienced.

Rule number 1.

Goddamn rule number 1.

Aaron Fox and Autocorruptor like this.
  22. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

I would argue 9 has a general caveat of 'depending on constituency', but that's pretty much what we've learned.

Also, I would argue that there is an 11th lesson: conspiracy theories are mind plagues.

23. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

That's more like 5a.

IvanDead, Grey Lantern and evildice like this.
  24. Aaron Fox

To be honest, there is a very good argument for it being 5a, but when weighing in the fact that conspiracy theories have been a thing for far longer than social media... you could do both...

25. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

Conspiracy theory just means the idea that a group collaborated to cause something to occur. The fall of the Knights Templar was a conspiracy and later proven true. If something is a theory, then that just means it hasn't been definitively proven to be true, but that doesn't mean it's false.

Rule 3 is false. A vaccine is designed so your body fights a dead version of a virus and becomes immune to it. If you are taking something to reduce the severity of symptoms, then that's a therapeutic.

26. Aaron Fox

The thing is, they're pretty harmful memes in general. A memetic hazard of sorts, causing people to pull shit like ramming trains into hospital ships. Hence why people have been calling them mind plagues.
    3 is a yes and no answer. Vaccines have ratings against various versions of a disease. For example, a smallpox vaccine bestows an excellent chance of making one immune to various strains of smallpox... problem is that there are strains (specifically weaponized hemorrhagic variants) that literally go 'lolno' to the vaccines and kill you outright.

We're seeing a situation where vaccines -in an environment with a massive reservoir to mutate in- aren't entirely catching up.

IvanDead and Z3r0Sama like this.
  27. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

No. A more accurate statement would be that vaccines are meant to protect against a disease. Immunity is obviously ideal, but it doesn't always happen, and a reduction in disease severity is a nice consolation prize... especially with absurdly nasty diseases like COVID.

Also, not all vaccines use dead versions of the disease (see "attenuated vaccines" or the COVID vaccines, which are mRNA vaccines), not all vaccines protect against viruses (pertussis, tetanus, and diptheria are caused by bacteria, for instance), and some vaccines can be used after exposure to help prevent the resulting infection (e.g. post-exposure prophylaxis) or reduce its symptoms.

TL;DR: Medicine is complicated, yo.

28. Amazon Climber

4 is delusionally optimistic. You don’t need to push people far at all for them to drop not just the facades of tolerance and civility, but the facade of basic human decency. The vast majority of people, when given the choice between killing the people around them and inconveniencing themselves, will not even consider the latter unless literally forced to.

29. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

That's too cynical. Raising children and forming families involves a lot of personal inconveniences and sacrifices, if you were right most people would not bother with families at all.

If we were THAT bad we wouldn't have made it this far. You could say 'it's because we forced ourselves to' but that's also the point. We force ourselves to be good or at least decent enough because collectively we care enough to function as a society, at least to a degree.

We aren't perfect at all but we aren't ogres either.

30. da3monh0st3d

da3monh0st3d Эскапист

Old post is old but I figured you might be interested in knowing that powered respirators are also a thing.

Afaik most anthrax vaccines just protect against acute infection. Which granted is still much better than the alternative of not having them at all.

Last edited: May 22, 2023