1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

'Peaceful' is a joke.

It started with threats of hanging; they erased the swastika that was drawn on the cenotaph in the first few days but left that one up for some time. Their Zello and Telegram accounts are absolutely stuffed with psychopaths gleefully fantasising about executing MPs. 'Protestors' are going around local businesses, flaunting requirements for vaccine passes or masks and barging their way in through intimidation; as well as interfering with the delivery of legitimate petitions to the Government.

In addition to filming himself calling on the NZ military to overthrow the Govt., Kevyn Alp of Counterspin Media also prepared a plan of action to storm the parliament ahead of time.

The imagery surrounding the organisation of other protests in the country looks like this.

I live here. This is in my backyard. We have a home-grown fascist movement being emboldened by foreign interference that is trying to repeal the very protections that have seen our country remain relatively unaffected by the pandemic.

This is fucking terrifying.

2. TotalAbsolutism

Also, for this alone I'm kicking you out of the thread, goodbye.

I refer back to my last warning as justification.

3. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

You have to hold your media accountable.

America didn't and just look at us.

Don't end up like us.

4. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Here's the thing, a lot of people think this video is true:

When the reality is far worse... as it only makes problems at the end. It isn't "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.", it's "Beware he who would allow you access to infinite information, for in his heart dreams himself your master.". Orwell is... frighteningly wrong when it comes to how one can control the masses, I'm afraid, although some of his predictions have come true.

I've been reading Transhuman Space's Toxic Memes supplement and... let's just say The Infographic Show isn't kidding when they said that the current situation is thanks in part by Transhuman Space-esque memetic ordinance...

bryanfran36 likes this.
  5. evildice

In cryptography, there are generally two ways to deny your attackers information:

- Encryption; disguising your signal as something else

- Chaffing; mixing up your signal with false or random or unrelated information so the attacker can't even start to decrypt it

VPNs work by doing both: you disguise what you're sending to the server, and then hide your request in the mass of outbound requests that the server makes.

Information is similar. Flooding someone with bad information is quite similar to chaffing, and is one way to deny the target access to good information. It's probably why you see disinformation sources change their topic so frequently.

[​IMG]

6. Aaron Fox

First, we've been getting VPN-defeating software for a while now, to the point that VPN tricks don't work on some forums now.

Second, there is the sad reality that we're now living in a world of memetic warfare, which adds a new 'fun' (in the most sarcastic way possible) to information warfare. I mean, what happens when you are facing misinformation that is specifically designed to propagate?
    ... to be honest, we're in for some pretty damn rough times.

MissileTeatime likes this.
  7. TotalAbsolutism

ANGRY PUFFBALL has been threadbanned and their post removed as per the thread's ongoing zero tolerance policy for posts promoting conspiracies that downplay the severity of the global pandemic.

8. evildice

9. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

So I go on youtube and look things up and I have to say this.

I am utterly pissed off people think Covid is just a conspiracy or whatever used for the government to control people, ignoring all the deaths it caused, and go on about freedom and shit like that. Just because suddenly the media is filled with invasion news instead of covid pandemic news. Like that's the holy grail of evidence that it's just a hoax and shit like that.

Tell that to the people who had family that died to covid you fucking jack offs.

10. TotalAbsolutism

Regrettably, in my experience I have found that often they do.

11. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Regrettably, in my experience, they often do to ER personnel as they themselves are dying of COVID.

The stories I've heard...

12. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

God damn it humanity.

13. Aaron Fox

Why do you think I believe that the 'pessimist' political philosophers are closer to the money than the 'optimistic' philosophers? Because people keep showing up and proving them right...

... I mean we had a test called DARK WINTER and what it revealed made the US overhaul its pandemic response structure... and the first stress test is a failure.

14. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

If mankind were THAT bad it'd have collapsed on itself long long ago. Vocal minorities and all of that, but that's no excuse for taking the edgy AAAAYYYYY WE'RE ALL SCUMMM! view about the world.

15. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

It's not a matter of being "bad". It's about being scared and latching onto anything that promises surcease of fear. That's how people get swept up into things and keep denying reality even as reality is killing them.

16. Aaron Fox

I mean, (use like for this), a show of hands for who thought that this entire situation is too fantastical to be real before the pandemic happened?

That, basically, we prove the zombie movies right?

I did... and that was before I looked up DARK WINTER...

Amazon Climber and bryanfran36 like this.
  17. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

There will always be people who are desperate to disbelieve things that scare them.

Aaron Fox likes this.
  18. TotalAbsolutism

It happened with Spanish Flu, it probably happened with the earlier plagues. People will always be people.

Grey Lantern and Prince Chrom like this.
  19. Aaron Fox

To be honest, those are out of 'living memory' and I've seen people look at me weird when I reference them... which can be a problem in some circles.

20. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

There are historical precedents for viral outbreaks like covid, but there is no precedent whatsoever for something like a zombie plague. There's no comparison. Even as a meme this one was never really funny and has long outlived any welcome it ever may have had.

GoodOldChap likes this.
  21. Aaron Fox

First, the majority of similar pandemics are literally out of living memory, and some are just within living memory.

Second, we all laughed at the idea that zombie movies are realistic, and yet here we are... as they get proven right in a way.

bryanfran36 likes this.
  22. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

No, at most a single aspect of zombie fiction may have proved to bear parallels to actual events starring a relative minority of very vocal people. Most people around the planet is not a screaming virus denier and the planet hasn't obviously collapsed yet the way it would in a Hollywood zombie apocalypse, despite having over two years to do so now.

Saying "we are living a zombie apocalypse situation" is an exaggeration from almost any angle because overall, while there have been lots of deaths across the planet, the fabric of society as a whole has endured remarkably so far. If one thinks this is as bad as a situation as it could get, then that person would surely collapse under an actual world war or something like that.

This is not to say the situation isn't serious but some perspective is necessary. Then again, maybe coming from a Third World country where often we can have several blackouts a week and lack running water for days have taught me to have a laxer perspective on what "really fucked up situation where the system and culture breaks down" actually means, when put next to people who have lived their whole life in the First World. Maybe for some of those the disruption of the status quo is a harsher blow perception-wise.

But overall, most people aren't vehement reality deniers who act like zombie fodder in a movie and they aren't about to bring the world down on your head if they can help it. Well, not them at least. I'm not answering for the few ones with nuke launching privileges but that's another matter altogether. Generally speaking, most people around the world will be fine with taking a shot and saying the virus is real when they or several relatives-friends have had it themselves.

I identify as a cynicist myself, but for God's sake.

GoodOldChap and me-meboi like this.
  23. evildice

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  24. Aaron Fox

bryanfran36 likes this.
  25. The-Lewd-Dude

The-Lewd-Dude Experienced.

So guess who got the fucking Vid. Figues this would happen right at what im hoping is the tail end of this whole mess.

26. Zyr0TruthExists

Zyr0TruthExists Welp, that happened

Hope you end up okay mate, drink plenty of water, get as much rest as you can, if symptoms continue to get worse don't hesitate to get help.

Prince Chrom and The-Lewd-Dude like this.
  27. The-Lewd-Dude

The-Lewd-Dude Experienced.

So far it's mostly like a shitty cold so that's something, I got my folks looking after me so getting help won't be too much of a issue.
    Main worry is getting them infected too then we're all screwed.

28. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

Don’t worry, if they don’t get it from you the fucking death cult is going to make sure they get it from somewhere else.

29. evildice

[​IMG]

30. evildice

fireball900, Xicree, litaispe and 8 others like this.