1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Forging Ahead (GURPS Interstellar Wars/Celestial Forge)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by cliffc999, Nov 12, 2022.

1. ryune

ryune Experienced.

What about a Gua'old SI? You aren't even going to need any CYOA granted tinkering powers if you go that route given the snake's genetic memory and the Stargate universe is both big enough and power ramps quick enough after a certain point that even if you did take inspiration from other franchises, it would take a very long time to outrun their power scaling indeed.

Another option would be Star Trek, again as either a bog standard person in the setting or maybe with something like a specific tech base of maybe the Cyberpunk or Eclipse Phase variety that would... not be generally accepted.

On another note, I recently came across a story using the "videogame controller CYOA." The CYOA is generally pretty mediocre but some of the abilities used are really interesting in combination. One of them is the ability to summon a copy of an item from any game you've finished and the other gives you a blueprint for anything you use it on.

Given the problems with both ToF and ToI fics being power ramp... why not make a sort of combination of them that adds "skill issue" to limitations. The user can summon any object from a fictional property... but it's broken. Figuring out how to fix it and doing so will give a complete schematic for every part... but no native ability to tech up to it or special ability to make it without the required tools.

Crazylector likes this.
  2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I think a large and very enjoyable part of tech wank/uplift fics are the reactions of the people. When the protag comes along and upends centuries old beliefs and shatters their worldviews, that's when things get spicy :D

That isn't really possible in this fic do to genius patrol and military secrecy.

Maybe she should have done the jump drive first and then a time skip to unveiling it to the public? Then show that the Vilani learn of it only years later because the voyage takes a while, terran travellers have stopped visiting, it made it's way up the bearaucracy and then they refused to believe primitives could build such a thing.

Finally they get confirmation. Cue panic, but by then Terra has already expanded massively away from them.

In the mean time the Protag has already developed new stuff that is now freaking out her own people.

Crazylector and cliffc999 like this.
  3. LordMelvin

LordMelvin Alleged Melvin

The fickleness of muses is why techniques like the old pulp detective standby of 'when you get stuck, have a couple of goons (or just grandfather) rough up the main character and threaten further harm in a clue-and-motivation inducing fashion' work so well.
    Or as Chandler is credited with phrasing it, "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand." It may not work directly every single time, but it's usually at least a good way to kick your muse into figuring out who is showing up armed and which way they're pointing the gun...

Fredo, ltmauve, ryune and 2 others like this.
  4. litaispe

litaispe -

Instant mass-knowledge acquisition and retcon effects common in CYOA stuff is horribly toxic for story telling. It is ultra-hard mode for anything longer than a few thousand words.

Have you watched any of the Stargate tv series? It is 18 seasons of 20-22 episodes a season of basically what you are looking for.

Boiling it down to modern terms;
    A small team of explorers use a non-reproducible portal device to explorer strange new worlds, gather allies and exotic resources And then return to mostly safe home to 'end' an adventure, and have downtime while the technological progress meter ticks away.

The portal mechanic provides character agency, as they can choose when to use it and where to go. It also frees the author from needing to consider geography, since each of the set-pieces is distinct.

The safe-zone mechanic is an important, and it gives an area to have guarantied downtime without requiring to explain why one geographical area is magically safe and yet so close to sources of danger. Characters can still bring trouble home, which provides a reason they don't just loot everything and travel light.

The non-reproducible part of the portal device is something of a critical detail as it reduces the need to give clarke-tech to the protagonists or any antagonists.

Stargate wasn't without its fault, but it had a robust mechanic for telling a large set of somewhat disconnected stories that can also support larger story arcs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  5. drakensis

drakensis Versed in the lewd.

Thank you for writing what you have so far and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

6. Leafy503

Leafy503 Versed in the lewd.

Don't forget that said character has to be in the "Good alignment." Writing evil or even morally ambiguous MC's is.. well it's gonna be a rough time.

Maybe something that is episodic in nature? Buffy the Vampire Slayer perhaps? That way you can sorta limit how fast the tech is introduced by going by the eventual baddie introductions.

vinikyub, ryune, Gregory Crey and 2 others like this.
  7. Hidden One

Hidden One Not the Boss. Possibly a Playa.

How about something silly? For example a crossover of two settings you like but were one has a lot less depth and basically would just add minimal plot, locations and characters to your options?
    Otherwise... I often come back to attempting to put something together for a tv-series box set or book series that I own and enjoy. Sadly, there is much fail in those attempts for me. :(

MissileTeatime likes this.
  8. blackshadow111

blackshadow111 Happy Helpful Grenade

... I was going to post something, but this is steadily turning into a Celestial Forge discussion thread and that doesn't seem appropriate.

Which reminds me of what would be nice, ie: a Celestial Forge discussion thread. Does anyone know one? Not BCF, just one for the concept.

Ame and ryune like this.
  9. ryune

ryune Experienced.

Well, there is the Celestial Forge Discord. But on the subject of a CF thread... I am not familiar with one specifically for it.

10. blackshadow111

blackshadow111 Happy Helpful Grenade

The discord is kinda monofocused on the worst of the CF stories, though. That was why I left it.

11. Tazered

Tazered wut...

cliffc999 just throwing ideas out but how about a mix of ideas and rather than an abduction have an Eminence in Shadow poke poke the Vilani or some other alien races into a hostile posture as a way to see what Sophia would do with her CF. Kind of a Tanya the Evil situation. Alternatively you could go the route of a not-so-accidental jump-9 accident stranding the character and a team in another setting, the future or the past of the current one?

12. Zerak

Zerak Well worn.

You could try your hand at writing a quest. Be it here or on https://fiction.live you don’t even need to make it with a lot of roles or even give the readers that many choices. Just allow readers to decide a few aspects of the story.

Alternatively you can write a new story with zero quest elements on fiction live and the live chat might help your muse. Or write a story where the audience only gets to roll rather than make choices. Up to you what you do.

Also all CF after v1 tend to be be too large and have things that ruin the whole point of being in another setting retuned than a jumpchain. Primarily the aspect of forge that gives you a lot of companions of the one that gives you in world recourses like factories. kind of defeats the point of building yourself up in a single world.

willk likes this.
  13. TroyX

TroyX Connoisseur.

Shame to hear, cliff :( But if you're stuck, then you're stuck.

Something that's worked for me is to deliberately write shorter stories. Either they cover a shorter span of narrative time, or I gloss over things to get to the end quickly. It might not be as good a story as otherwise, but it gets done.

Regardless, I hope you can find something that works for you. I know your difficulty with stories, particularly tech-wank stories, is frustrating to you, but I'm enjoying your explorations nonetheless.

willk, Poe Darkly and Gregory Crey like this.
  14. WaNoMatsuri

WaNoMatsuri Not too sore, are you?

There is also the option of doing something LordRoustabot termed “Trinkets and… Specialities(?)” where you can’t buy anything costing more than 200 cp. so it’s not as op.

15. Vrenze

Vrenze I trust you know where the happy button is?

Problem there is that a lot of sub 200 choices are broken as fuck because some people couldn't understand scaling while writing jump docs. Or some settings were THAT broken.

Fredo, wellis, Prince Chrom and 2 others like this.
  16. SemiSaneAuthor

SemiSaneAuthor Powered by Snark, Spite, and Tea!

I'm not going to suggest anything, Cliff. Because that's probably annoying you at this point.

Instead, I'm just going to take my hat off to you this New Years Eve, and thank you for what you have given us. If you want suggestions you can ask, and the infinite amount of monkeys at typewriters that is my Imagination can probably suggest some stupid and pointless ideas.

But, thanks for the ride. And whatever you do next year and in the beyond? I'll have fun reading it.

17. Vrenze

So small team of adventurers that allows for tech talk. Three properties jump out to me, one if which has already been mentioned: Stargate, X-Com, and Ghostbusters.

Stargate I think makes for an interesting mechanic to play with, that being the 'Gate itself. It could be used as the method of activating whatever ability you want to play with a la you previous CF MC actively having to meditate to access the CF gift giver. So maybe going through the gate triggers a 1 in X roll every so often to see if they trigger an II charge or connect to the forge or access some gamer/jumpchain menu. The setting already has high INT people like Carter and Rodney so your technobabble won't be too far out and the Ori are a sufficiently deity level threat to have as a late game antagonist to say nothing of what the Ancients would bitch and moan and "totes not interfere" about.

X-com is similar -ish in that it allows for a reasoned escalation of threat. Psi-chambered could be a one off power up/recharge. For example you start with the usual 10 charges of Inspired Inventor but they don't recharge at all until roughly "mid-late game" where the MC undergoes psi testing where they get 10 more, never to recharge again and "psichambers have been tested to be 100% fatal on re-use as far as we can tell, we can't risk you under current circumstances"

Ghostbusters is fun, monster of the week but easily scaled to big threats on arcs. Potential world spanning or just local team of OCs handling local legends and working with the tech.

All three allow for interesting, reasoned individuals to interact with each other.

Oh also Star Trek which until recently has been "reasonable mature people deal with things reasonably unless the other side really doesn't want to in which blow that MF up" the show. It practically codified if not invented the phrase "technobabble". Also let's say you went with an Insert with Inventor. 10 charges, outside spiking into a speciality, using the original(?) Non-worm interpretation of 1 charge being 1 year study/practical use, 7-10 charges would get you to just above baseline Fed education cadet. Granted you'd have to deal with issues like their phobia of "enhanced humans" and either pop into DS9 or VOY to not get immediately S31'd away. Even then VOY would have temptation to drop you on a "suitable world" with Q backed "this is a test of humanity, you cannot maroon this one and in reward I'll smooth/shorten your trip a touch"

Are you familiar with the well done xcom/Stargate cross XSGCOM , Cliff? One of the few well done and considered fusions I've seen.

18. SemiSaneAuthor

If we're really going to talk ideas that are never going to happen, of a setting that needs to be broken with tech powers?

Cliff, you can ignore this. But I need to get it out of my head.

X-Com/Nu-X-Com Fusion. That is, it's the World and Setting of the Original X-Com Games, but with the Characters and backstories of Nu-X-Com just moved back to the 90s. Because the original X-Com was a meatgrinder from hell due to a few programming oops on the hardness settings. While, if you use Nu-X-Com for characters?

Well, regardless of whether you used it for tech powers or not, say using some other power mechanic to break the sheer, "WE'RE SCREWED!" Chorus in Latin? An X-Com/Nu-X-Com Fusion allows for such a setting.

LoneFury likes this.
  19. cliffc999

cliffc999 Connoisseur.

There's a lot of settings I don't know well enough to write, and people are naming many of them.

Jason_Argo, Poe Darkly, Ovid and 4 others like this.
  20. Domino

Domino I trust you know where the happy button is?

Krogan Inspired Inventor mercenary in Mass Effect. Build yourself up a team of space misfits and explore the galaxy in an era before the reaper threat exists.

Or, you could write a human MC and set the story post-reaper war, letting you be instrumental in picking up the pieces of the galaxy and giving you largely a free hand when it comes to world building.

Edit - hell, you can just grab Atlas from Power Creator Xenon, I know you love that variant of Inspired Inventor

Jason_Argo likes this.
  21. Webzayne

Webzayne C̸̢̩̮̎͂̈́̃͐ò̷̞̫r̶̥̖͙̋͒̀r̴̟̱͍̭̹̈́̌u̷̲̪̠͛̃̿p̵̻͆ț̵͂

There's just something about these types of fics that don't want to be written, I suppose. Powerwanks will always eclipse the setting, and then it becomes about what's left. CFv2 is too powerful to make a cohesive story with, v3 did come and it cleaned up a bit... But, CF has serious scaling issues and only works with settings that also scale up. You're really only left with a handful of large settings, with Star Wars being the only one I haven't seen a CF tried in I believe. Empire building is nice in theory, but good luck juggling that with the instability something like CF offers, while trying to juggle sociopolitical affairs of foreign intergalactic civilizations(whilst giving the MC and gang enough screen time). One man isn't a mountain and all that. I wouldn't even say it's a failure of your 'muse', there's just little that can be done sufficiently without monumental planning, and even then it's a question of if it'd still be fun to write. A story like this isn't an exercise, I'd say it's a massive commitment that you definitely made a good choice in dropping.

The only option I think to get anything out of these types of wank fics, is to prevent omni-capability(perfect generalist, ultra-capable nonsense), it's when that point is reached that most of these fics die because it's functionally impossible to write. Perhaps a tech specialization that can't be breached and only worked around, the conflict of circumstance would definitely make things more interesting. CYOAs and such forth are all workable, they just shouldn't be overestimated or treated as powerful as they are at face value. The OP protag fics that survive all have a gimmick or downside around to keep things interesting, whether it be a time limit, social incapability, an incompatible setting, etc. But on the other hand, I also can't remember if I've ever read a fic based on a Cyoa meet an actual conclusion that wasn't dropping, hiatus, or that was anywhere near 'satisfactory'. Actually, it's been a long time since I've read anything with a 'good' conclusion, or a conclusion at all. Ah well, whatever, well wishes and all that jazz, happy new year's.

22. Vrenze

I cannot for the life of me remember the 2-3 names of the ones I've read that concluded at least semi-decently but atleast one of those was almost purely from various outside perspectives.

Also SW not having been touched is a little weird because some of the stories told about the Great Old Empires like the Rakata Empire almost sound like an amped up, renegade SI's empire that went to shit.

23. Leafy503

That's to be expect since you don't have a definite list of settings put out that your are comfortable with doing.
    Heck, even I'm just going by your Jumpchain chapters. Which include Buffy, Harry Potter, Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights, Dahak Chronicles, Terminator, Fallout, Etc.

24. SemiSaneAuthor

You know, if you wanted to go with the classics? Halloween fic where someone dresses up as Tony Stark/Antonia Stark and we get a MCU Tony/Rule 63!MCU Tony.

That way you get tech wank, but not comic level bullshit, while you still have someone doing stuff. I mean, if you limited it to a point in the Early MCU for that Tony/Toni too? Like say Second Iron Man film, and the armour is the Briefcase armour that while cool is rather limited?

Then you can limit it. And depending on whether you want that version of The MCU to have it's own version of Buffy as a TV Program that a sick!Version of whatever Stark is picked who watched Buffy on a Episode Marathon? You can also have an outside point of view.

Say, if you want to be mean, Cordelia as Antonia Stark. While you can add in other tech and other threats from the Halloween Event just not being limited to empowering one person.

25. kartal

kartal Getting some practice in, huh?

Some pretty good ideas being thrown out for cliff's next fic, but does anyone know if anyone has done a Dresden/Gamer fic? Cliff does power creep really well and in a way that doesn't ruin my immersion into his fics. I just want to see him do a Harry Dresden that got the gamer ability at a young age, is low-key and (unknown to everyone) one of the absolutely most powerful beings in his reality. A story like that interspersed with a lot of other people's point of view like cliff did with the genius patrol meeting would be a very entertaining read I bet!

Poe Darkly likes this.
  26. Leafy503

The problem here is that your throwing out fandoms that cliffc999 has a surface understanding in, so doing a whole setting in it would be moot.

27. JKingSniper

JKingSniper Selfishness saves lives

Sad but understandable.
    Hope to see future tech wank fics though once you've prepared

28. Bananacue123

Bananacue123 Making the rounds.

This should have the "female protagonist" tag, what a waste of time

TakeoutViolet323 likes this.
  29. Vealie

Vealie Versed in the lewd.

For a techwank fic you could try The Glow, the Intelligence ability to get the answer to any question (you might not like the answer or ask the right questions) with the example of a new theory of gravity...

Well it lets you go techwank without hitting the ridiculous setting breaking stuff of Tinker of Fiction, Celestial Forge etc. but you'd need more of an R&D cycle to get from fiat power to propositional knowledge to engineering to manufacturing.

e.g. Star Wars where you can learn the principles underlying the Star Forge, how to design more useful & autonomous droids that wont rebel etc but for whatever reason supcom fabrication techniques, massfab & energy generation methods don't work.

wellis and Ramuthra like this.