1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

In Flight ch. 38 is up.

Discussion in 'General' started by Vindictus, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Creticus

Creticus Know what you're doing yet?

I couldn't finish the skimming the chapter. I'm out. It's a rather odd, liberating feeling.

2. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Well, I am still reading it, so I guess ?

3. Bloodshifter

Bloodshifter The Bio-Armor Lover

Its okay I mean the entire thing is impossible to happen. Then again like someone says earlier its Lore dumps like a stupid amount of it. outside of that I really want this Arc to end to see how he would take the entire thing.

4. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

I want him to go back to his older fics, honestly.

He seems to do better with shorter stories, and is considerably better at horror then romance.

5. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

this one knows the feeling dude. This one found it very interesting in the beginning, in the middle This one's interests kind of fizzled out a bit but It pushed through, but towards the end in recent chapters Especially It just can't follow anymore. Even with Rin and Saber Now back in the picture It just seems like too little too late actually affect anything anymore. This one can't even work if the willpower to read the last two chapters it Barely even work if the willpower to read chapter 38.

6. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I dunno what any of you guys are talking about. I'm quite enjoying it; this latest chapter even had an explanation for why Shirou's been acting so OoC the whole story.

7. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

There's nothing that can justify that kind of behavior out over you UBW version of him. Mind of Steel maybe, but not UBW where the whole of Shirou's character growth was him acknowledging and accepting the flaws in his ideal of saving everyone.

8. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

As I said, my main problem with it isn't actually that Shirou's so OOC, but how the author doesn't seem to be accepting the fics flaws.
    You can't just have two paragraphs towards the end of the fic and use that to justify the main character being completely unlike his actual personality for the last 600k+ words.
    I accepted that this Shirou's nothing like the UBW one long ago and tried to enjoy the story by seperating those two into completely different character's in my head.
    That there's an "justification" for that stuff now just makes the author seem like a petulant child that doesn't want to admit he totally botched the canon characterization.

9. Disminded

Disminded Versed in the lewd.

In Flight is one of my favorite fics and Gabriel Blessing is one of my favorite authors.

It probably helps that I've never actually played through Fate/Stay Night and so am not bothered by the OOCness of Shirou. In fact, I first learned about Fate/Stay Night and Shirou from Hill of Swords, another of GB's fics, so his version of Shirou is as close to a "canon" one as I have in mind.

That said, I am looking forward to this fic ending. And the massive battle scene next chapter. That's going to be cool.

10. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Why not check out the Fate/Stay Night anime... there is a TV series, and an Unlimited Blades Works movie.

11. Disminded

Hmmm... Did not kmow that. Eh, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

12. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

The thing is that there are many "canon" versions of shirou. UBW version is stupid good and want to save everyone, not just the majority. FATE Shirou gave up his ideal to save Sakura rather than do the smart thing and kill her to stop her from killing everyone. HF shirou I know the least about. MoS Shirou though is the one most likely to act like how gb writes shirou, he hardened his heart and killed sakura and started down a similar path as his father, saving the most lives possible. The problem isn't shirou not acting like himself, its that gb didn't choose the right one and keeps trying to bullshit why rather than either accepting it or rewriting shirou to fit his canon background.

Gb also has problems with straying too far from canon which really defeats the purpose of replacing the MC with someone more capable. Shirou has never actually achieved much more than the Everyman character he replaces, sometimes even doing worse. There's all theexposition, most of which is unnesisary and nearly all of which is just awkward and clunky. It's only turned worse because his knowledge of the physic of nasu is lacking and he doesn't do much to fix it.

13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

...Fixed.

UBW understand his dream is only an ideal, but will still try to reach for it, even if it leads him to become a Counter Guardian. He decided he would never regret his path.

14. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

All this one knows is that ubw he still wants to save everyone but aknowledgs its impossible. And there, s the sakura one where he chooses the girl over the world. Haven't seen the last path. This ones knowledge comes from the movie, fics and discussion on fics.

15. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

The misinformation. It hurts. Please stop hurting me Himura.

16. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

People die when they are killed. Or don't, whichever...

17. Biigoh

New chapter from gabriel blessing,

Story: In Flight

Chapter 41 Title: Forty First Wing

Category 1: Fate/stay night
    Category 2: Sekirei
    Character(s): Shirō E.

Words: 16,989
    Genre(s): General
    Rating: Rated: M

Summary: Honestly, Shirou was beginning to think that he should be used to
    this; being unwittingly selected to take part in brutal tournament that he had
    no idea existed until he found himself in the middle of it. Then again,
    second times the charm, right?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6556187/41/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  18. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

...I can drop this fic now. I've never been able to do that with a still ongoing fic. Be it bad or good; I had to see it through to the end, or wherever it's writer left it to rot.

But this...I want to drop it, and I can. I have no hang-ups; no nagging urge to say 'finish it'.

I...I'm...free...

19. Bloodshifter

Now this is a Nerco BUT

Ch 42 of In Flight
    Who thought Minaka was a Magus Really? As well as a Second Fucking Owner? I personally just thought he had connections to something Like the Enzberns or something NEVER this I mean fuck seems like Gab pulled this one out of his hat to End In Flight really.

Thoughts?

20. Biigoh

I thought it was kind of obvious ^_^;;;

I mean my omake for IF was going to imply that he was a magus and stuff...

21. Disminded

If it ends relatively quickly with a big ass fight scene (which I think Gabe is good at) then I have no complaints whatsoever. I didn't get that Minaka was a magus, but I can roll with that.

22. Bloodshifter

You did Bii? I mean I got that he Knew about magic but never was a Magus. But being. Second Owner? Now that is down right contrived!

23. Biigoh

Not really... he DOES own the city.

24. Bloodshifter

Bah in order to 'own' ANY city in Japan you'd have to literaly but out the Government. Business don't 'own' any land outside special trade zones and international 'land' (aka US Bases) even then it would take Billions and require to buy out Private Owners and every other business in the City. Effectively mening becoming a comglomerate and running HARD into International Laws stopping that very thing Minaka would NEED to be the Richest person on the Planet and then Bribe the UN and Japanese Government to overlook what is effectively the creation of a New Nation seeing as they 'know' about the sekirei and tht he has 'bought a city A Magus especially a Second Owner would never do something to be so bold the sheer anount of cash would bring in at least Lackeys of the Lords and Agents of the Church which one does not block if one wants to continue living judging from how many times Sekirei have passed near the border and how GOOD some Magus and Agents are? Minaka would have had a Sealing Designation and the Sekirei would be in the clocktower stored as test subjects.

Simply put

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

All Major points of Leylines have at least a Nominal member of the Church if only to report what is occuring in city. Unless Minaka burned every church or Bribed the Agent to ingore the Jumping never before seen Types. There is too much going against him to pull tht off for a Month much less 3.

25. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

No, actually, Minaka's Megacorp pretty much literally owns the city. As in, it's almost a single oversized piece of real estate with their name on the title.

At least, that's how I understood it. Sekerei isn't something I follow.

26. Biigoh

I believe that Minaka physically owns Shin Tokyo, having actually reclaimed the land from the sea and build on it... so it's literally, their property. At least if one goes by canon.

27. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I always assumed that he'd used his technology and the military power of the Sekirei to become the de facto shogun of Japan.

28. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

What I'm really having trouble buying is that he on top of all the other shit he somehow covered up kept the pseudo war of the original disciplinary squad secret.
    If he were totally unrelated to the Clocktower, you could maybe handwave it as them assuming it to not be worth any attention, but having a known magus sink battleships and not getting killed by enforcers for it?
    No way in hell that's going to work.

Basically what I'm tying to say is thatwhile the entire premise was always rather ridiculous you can't just slap a revelation on top of it and then act as if that explains everything, while it actually only creates even more plotholes.
    If he seriously wanted to account for those, he should have reworked the entire Sekirei part of the crossover and significantly toned down on it's over-the-top stuff instead of expecting more of that to lead to less plotholes.

29. Biigoh

The problem is HOW he did it.

Did he reveal magic? Or did he use "technology"? Or what appears to be "technology"?

Because if it's technology and it's seen as a battle over technology and using technology... all that just means is that he might have destroyed the battle force with magic and technology, but has disguised it as pure technology... in which case, he has done an excellent job.

Even if he's crazy enough to declare war on actual countries, as anyone with sufficiently advanced technology.

30. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

That doesn't really resolve the issue that some Asian guy put the secrecy of magecraft/the supernatural at significant risk for reasons he is not willing to explain or that he let things get that far when he could have just hypnotized the people he needed to into not ordering the attack.
    And that doesn't even go into the fact that he shouldn't even have let enough info get out to provoke the attack in the first place.
    Whether he succeeded or not in covering it up, he caused a major incident which he'd have to justify, because if he didn't there would be no reason whatsoever to keep him around instead of sending the Enforcers to eliminate this potential threat to the masquerade.
    And even if for some reason the Clocktower itself didn't investigate, that he also managed to cover up the very existence of the Sekirei means either that not a single magus bothered to hypnotize one of the officials who ordered the attack to find out what Minaka was willing to fight a war over or Minaka erased the memory of every official involved on his own.

Besides the entire thing is just one more incident that shows a major problem with the fic.
    When doing a crossover of something like Sekirei with a more serious work, you either have to do lots and lots of world building and changes to one or both settings to resolve all of the issues that come with it to the point where you are basically creating an AU of your own or you just roll with most of it, come up with a somewhat plausible handwave whenever you need one and get people to ignore the issues by making them focus on more interesting stuff like for example the actual story.
    Instead of doing either of those this fic comes up with crappy handwaves and then spends an entire chapter badly explaining why this is supposedly not a plothole and makes sense once you think about it.
    Basically, if you're not going to actually resolve the issues, don't draw attention to them and just get on with it.