1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sensing Marvels: QQ Version (A Marvel Quest)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by TheDivineDemon, Nov 23, 2015.

1. TheDivineDemon

TheDivineDemon Know what you're doing yet?

Meet Your Character!

[5] Karin Murphy
    [6] Female
    [5] Chicago
    [4] Chi/Ki User (tie with psychic broken by author preference... cause its Murphy!)
    [5] After the vision (miscount in previous post, my bad. Tie broken due to verity and because of the last post)

If there is complaints about the tie breaks let me know.

First snip within 3 days

kinglugia likes this.
  2. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

[X] Karrin Murphy
    [X] female
    [X] Chicago
    [X] Chi/Ki User
    [X] After the

EDIT: Ah, didn't see the vote close. Oh, well. Matches what I was swapping to, anyways.

3. Threadmarks: Tiny but Fierce is You
    TheDivineDemon

Tiny and Fierce is You
    Your name is Karrin Murphy and you were on your morning run when you saw something strange.

A man bleeding from his stomach and staring at you with horror filled eyes. You ran towards him, doing what came natural for a Murphy, and tried to help him. But he had disappeared as soon as you had reached him, not even leaving a drop of blood where he stood.

You looked around for a few moments longer, wondering what you had seen and what could have happen. So far your mind had come up with two prevalent theories, 1) You had just seen a teleporter who was on the run or 2) You were seeing things due to a lack of sleep. You internally chide yourself for how likely the latter theory was, life seemed to be piling up on you lately.

And even it wasn't there wasn't much you could do if it was a teleporter. There was literally nothing left behind to prove anyone was there. No body, no blood, there weren't even footprints in the gravel. You were torn from your thoughts and jumped about a foot into the air when you heard a car horn from behind you.

You twisted around to see who the hell had startled you, but there was no one there. No car, no ass with a air-horn, there wasn't even a random cat or dog there. There was nothing. Even when you stepped out of the alley and looked down the street you found the street to be mostly vacant except for a fellow jogger.

.... Maybe you were just feeling a bit too stressed and tired. It might be a good idea to head home early if you were seeing and hearing things.

The run home was largely uneventful outside your usual waves to your morning bird neighbors.

When you got home you weren't surprised to see your Dad sitting at the kitchen table, fresh from his overnight at the precinct and looking exhausted from it, while your Mom bustled in the kitchen to get ready for the day.

"Morning Dad, Mom." You said, placing your pepper spray on the kitchen counter as you always did. You didn't feel you needed it as you were confident in your skills but your parent insisted.

"Morning Honey/Hey Karrie." Your parents greeted in near unison, probably would have been too if your Dad didn't sound and look so exhausted. His eyes kept drifting to the coffee brewing but he knew he couldn't have any, your mother wouldn't allow it. After the night shift he needed his sleep and coffee would not get him that. As a way to distract himself he asked you,"You're back early, something happen?"

He sounded somewhere between concerned and stern, the usual tone of an over-protective father.

"Just felt weird, decided to call in early." You say waving off his concerns the best you could, but it set off your mother's own protective instincts.After suffering through a series of questions and a few quick home test your mother deemed you healthy enough, But she said that if you weren't feeling well enough after your shower they would talk about calling you out for the day.

Your shower was short, just like it was every morning. A quick scrub and rinse to ensure you don't smell horrible when you went to school, something you wish your brothers would learn. The cretins were starting to have that all too fresh teenage boy smell.

Drying and dressing yourseld you regarded yourself in the mirror and saw:
    Appearance aka what do you look like?:
    [] (Write in) Pictures acceptable
    -- [] How do you usually dress

You didn't look too bad today, if you do say so yourself. You certainly looked better than you did before your shower. Maybe you just needed a good wash down to feel better? Its been known to happen.

As you go through the rest of your morning hygiene there was a knock on the door. "Yeah?"

It was your Mom, "Are you feeling any better Honey?"
    What do you do?:
    [] Go about your day normally, you didn't feel that off
    [] Be on the safe side and skip your after school things for the day
    [] Just skip everything in general, its not like you miss class often enough for it to matter anyway ​

assana73 and PauliExklusor like this.
  4. Neo-Chan

Neo-Chan Downtrodden college student

[x] [​IMG]
    --[x] Spunky clothes and vibrant colors
    [x] Go about your day normally, you didn't feel that off

I don't want to be a total Dredsen Files spoof so i figured we should go with something completely different.

5. TheDivineDemon

You guys have 2 days from the post to vote, just to let you know.

6. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

[X] Neo-Chan

7. TheDivineDemon

12 hours before voting closes!

8. mro123321

mro123321 Know what you're doing yet?

[X]Plan Neo-chan

9. TheDivineDemon

Voting Closed!

Winning Result!

[3] [​IMG]
    --[3] Spunky clothes and vibrant colors
    [3] Go about your day normally, you didn't feel that off

Will still accept votes up two hours from now.

mro123321 and kinglugia like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Family Talk
    TheDivineDemon

Family Talk​

"I'll be fine mom. I'm feeling better already." You do a quick spin as if it would show that everything was in working order. From the look in your mother's eye it didn't prove as much as you would have liked.

"Oh, Camila, just let her go to school. If she feels off she can just go to the nurse and have them call us." Your dad said through a mouthful of toast, "I'm going to be here anyway."

"*sigh* Fine." Your mother relented, "But if anything feels wrong you will go to the nurse, and then call me so I can make sure you don't need to go to the hospital."

"Honey, you're doing that thing where you turning little things into medical disasters."

"It's the 'nurses curse'." She said with a shrug, "She said she felt dizzy and light headed. It could be a mild concussion for all we know, again. I knew we should have stopped that sparring match the other night.God only knows why I keep letting you encourage her like this."

You rolled your eyes at your mother's words, more than use to her attitude on your favorite hobby at this point in your life.It wasn't like she disappointing of such a 'boyish' hobby so much as she didn't like the implications of fighting that comes with Martial Arts. So much so that she has repetitively tried to get you into a more non-violent, more feminine, hobby.

So far she has tried to get you into Ballet, Gymnastics and recently Yoga. None of them really grabbed your attention despite months of trying, they just didn't ... work for you. True there were bits from all three that you've worked into your routines but the activities as a whole bored you.

You just love Martial Arts.

You loved them ever since you were four and your dad brought yiu to your first lesson. It made you feel strong, like you could do or take in everything... Most things. When you got your first black belt you were so proud of yourself.

It was then that you sensei put the idea in your head, one that blossomed from the tale of how black belts of old Japan would earn their next dan. They had to go out and find another instructor or Martial Art and earn a new black belt.

You've recently gotten your third black belt.

What Martial arts do you know (1 for first style, pick from first four, 2 for second and 3 for third)
    [] Akido
    [] Jiujutsu
    [] Judo
    [] Karate
    -----
    [] Hapkido
    [] Muay Thai
    [] Kali/Eskrima
    [] Kung Fu
    [] Tai Chi
    [] Savate
    [] Krav Maga
    [] Other (Write in)

Though what you learned blended together when you practiced on your own.

"Cause I like it mom."

It was her turn to roll her eyes, "I'm going to make sure your brothers are awake, make sure you father doesn't drink any coffee."

"Yes ma'am"

After your mom left you dad sat up a bit straighter and gave you a big old smile,"So, birthday girl, you ready for our camping trip this weekend?"

How do you feel about the trip?
    [] Excited! You like going camping with the family!
    [] Meh, its something we do every year.
    [] See if you can't get out of it.

-0-0-0-0-
    The bus ride to school wasn't that bad, despite the guy who sat next to you for no reason. At least he was just studying and not trying to flirt, leaving you alone with your music.

Ooh! You love this song!

"Excuse me miss but could you turn down your music a bit?"

"Oh, sure." You say, feeling a bit embarrassed for having your music so loud.

The rest of the trip passed in relative silence with you debating what to do after school:

What do you do once school ends?:
    [] Head home, get your homework done and try to work on blending the Martial Arts you know.
    [] Go to your last dojo/gym and ask for a Spar.
    [] See what your friends doing after school.

48 hrs to vote​

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  11. mro123321

We need one lethal style, one submission style, and one spiritual style.

EDIT: In other news, there is an unconfirmed SB crossover in last chapter.
    2ND EDIT: Careful, the Judo Wikipedia page has trolls.
    3RD EDIT: Is my understanding correct that the first choice has to come from the first four, and the second and third have to be chosen from the remainder?
    4TH EDIT: Aikido is best if we want a spiritual focus, Jujutsu is going to focus on submission, and Karate is going to be the most offensive and (hypothetically) damaging. Judo will be a balanced approach. Are we a mystic, a guardian, or an assassin?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  12. TheDivineDemon

The first choice needs to be from the first four after that it doesn't matter.

mro123321 likes this.
  13. Neo-Chan

[1] Akido
    [3] Kali/Eskrima
    [2] Krav Maga

[x] Excited! You like going camping with the family!
    [x] Head home, get your homework done and try to work on blending the Martial Arts you know

I figure we can use Akido as our soft fighting style for when were fighting big time bruisers with super strength and endurance like Rhino or the Abomination, we can use Krav Maga when we want to take out people like Black widow or Spider man, and we can use Kali for when ever we may need to use a weapon of some kind.

mro123321 likes this.
  14. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

[X] Judo

-----

[X] Muay Thai

[X] Other: Professional Wrestling!

[X] Excited! You like going camping with the family!
    [X] Go to your last dojo/gym and ask for a Spar.

(This is a comic book world. Pro wrestling is not only probably real, there's probably chi techniques based on it)

15. mro123321

Aikido because it disables and has a deeply spiritual side which will help us down a hypothetical Chi Wizard route, Kali because Neochan knows what he's talking about (I agree with Neochan far too often.), and Karate because it has the best non-armed knockout fighting style. I was in Karate for a little while. Got all the way to first-degree brown belt. I still remember some of the pressure points. Changed Karate to Krav Maga because Jeet Kun Do seems too focused on methodology which is the purpose of Aikido.

[1]Aikido
    [2]Kali
    [3]Krav Maga

[X]Excited! You like going camping with the family!
    [X]Head home, get your homework done and try to work on blending the Martial Arts you know.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  16. Sin of Sloth

Sin of Sloth Fickle lounger

Just in case you guys didn't know, our SB character is a British Brendan Urie look alike named Alexander whose a genius in an undecided field at the moment.

17. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

[1] Akido
    Spiritual style. Soft style, so we don't have to worry much about the body being trained. Philosophical. Can maybe eventually lead into Chi Warrior stuff.

[2] Kali
    Very practical style, the weapons focus means it can be used across all 3 bodies without issue. I figure most situations where we're swapping bodies will be when shit is bad., so I picked a style that reflects that.

[3] Jeet Kune Do
    Less an outright style, more a philosophy of fighting. Think of it as a well guided mix of MMA emphasizing mental flexibility in battle. Not quite the spiritual focus of aikido, but with Be Like Water we can possibly push into something like "One With the Universe". Not as practical as Kali (still being body rather than weapon focused) but it emphasizes combat realism, economy of motion, and (as said before) mental flexibility in battle.

It is a good style on it's own, and should serve as very good bridge between our other two styles. If this doesn't fuse well, I don't know what will.

[X] See what your friends doing after school.

18. Neo-Chan

Alright it seems like we agree overall that having Aikido and Kali is a good idea, its on the third option that we seem to have a problem. The reason I think Krav Maga is the better out of the options for the third choice is because it perfectly fills in the missing spot on our 3 styles. Akido fills in the spot for spiritual focus and soft takedowns, Kali fills in the spot for weapons use of just about any kind and Krav Maga is absolutely perfect at quick, efficient and hard takedowns. While Karate is a solid style it doesn't have the focus on real world situations like Krav Maga or Jeet Kune Do. I don't really have any major arguments against Jeet Kune Do, I can tell you from experience that both Krav Maga and Jeet Kune Do are just about equally effective in combat if you apply them the right way.

19. Tetsurō

Tetsurō Communist Penguin

[1] Aikido
    [2] Ninjutsu
    [3] Jeet Kun Do

Just short of anything goes

[X] See what your friends doing after school.

20. TheDivineDemon

Isn't JKD simply a series of philosophies about finding our works best for you, and mixing/refining what you already know while improving your fitness? Could be wrong. *goes off for research*

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  21. TheDivineDemon

12 hours until voting closed

22. mro123321

Changed vote. Jeet Kun Do seems interesting, but it really seems like it's essentially the collected practices of Bruce Lee. I don't know enough about Jeet Kun Do to make a good judgement. I don't really know enough about Krav Maga, either, but some basic research implied to me that Krav Maga is much more established. Not only that, but Krav Maga is taught to the military. Maybe it's petty to say that "everyone's doing it, so it's good." but in this case the fact that militaries have trusted themselves to Krav Maga and not Jeet Kun Do is what tipped my decision.

EDIT: I also thought that the balance principles that are central to Jeet Kune Do are also present in Aikido in lesser amounts. I figured that area is at least a little covered already.

23. TheDivineDemon

Voting close..... Wait a second... We have two ties!

[4]Aikido
    [3]Kali
    [2]Krav Maga
    [2] Jeet Kun Do

[5] Excited! You like going camping with the family!

[2] Head home, get your homework done and try to work on blending the Martial Arts you know
    [2] See what your friends doing after school

Things in italics need a tie breaker, otherwise I'm going to have to do it/get creative.

6hour extension

24. WanderingEye

WanderingEye Check me out! I'm a talking skull!

[X]Aikido
    [X]Kali
    [X] Jeet Kun Do
    [X] Head home, get your homework done and try to work on blending the Martial Arts you know

Wish granted.

25. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

I point you to:
    From the, admittedly little, I've read it's also helped form good bits of MMA. That said, I chose it because it was more framework and philosophy than a style. Trying to successfully fuse 3 different styles is going to be a bitch an a half, with JKD as a bridge It's more like two styles with a preexisting base to build off of.

Also, Kali covers the most important parts of Krav Maga (Vicious, practical fighting) and has more refinement behind it, even if it's less hand to hand. For the times we are without a weapon (and can't make one) Aikido will fill in.

26. Neo-Chan

The thing about that though is that with JKD we have a sever lack of a hard style which would severely limit what we an do against certain people. Besides if the vote to practice mixing them is anything to go by we should be able to figure out mixing them without JKD so really we would be giving up an entire 3rd style just to mix 2 styles a little faster.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  27. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Eh, we're going to be jumping bodies, so it's not worth getting a hard style since we won't always have the body to support it. Aikido, like judo, will let us redirect our opponents strength, so it isn't too much of an issue.

Unless you're worried about sheer physical strength? Ki enhancement and magic should take care of that. and it gives both characters something to work towards.

28. Neo-Chan

Im more worried about the fact that against certain types of opponents a soft fighting style just wont cut it, as for the whole not being strong enough thing that's what the ki enhancements for. Besides i think your Beverly underestimating how brutally effective Krav Maga is theirs a good reason that many military train their special forces in it. Akido just isn't practical in some situations theirs a good reason highly trained marital artist like having another style to fall back on, and when you get right down to it Kali's hand to hand stuff just doesn't cut it.

29. Dark Ness

Dark Ness I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X]Krav Maga

30. mro123321

Normally that would make sense, but...

It's implied we already have spent a significant amount of time blending styles.