1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice

SHINOBI: The RPG - New Game

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Fulcon, Jun 17, 2020.

1. MasMaud

MasMaud Know what you're doing yet?

I never said that you said it was impossible. I said that it had been done in canon, which I felt was relevant.

As for there being difficulties in implementing energy or mono blades... So what? Depending on where Daisuke spends his points, all these engineering issues are things that can be overcome.

Admittedly, spending too much time addressing them would rapidly get dull and we probably won't be seeing them but it was just an idle thought.

2. Edifier

Edifier Trusted within thoughts.

Chitori would most likely deflect a lightsaber all the same.
    But yeah, you're stuck in reality land. Because in fantasy land you've got wind chakra and lightning chakra that already do unstoppable cutting force.
    So rather than trying to turn a thing highly impractical to a weapon with the keenest edge, account for all the flaws trough super-advanced sealing arrays, you could take advantage of the rules of this universe and approach the problem from exploiting lightning and wind aspected chakra.

You know... super swords... they're pretty magical. Could you just, I dunno, seal the concept of cut anything onto the blade? Or however, the swords are made. I can't recall there ever being mentioned how these weapons are created.

Fulcon likes this.
  3. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Know what you're doing yet?

If you're talking about the legendary weapons each one has a different underlying network of seals, and is generally crafted from metal highly conductive to chakra.

The exploding sword, of the seven ninja swordsmen of the water village, Has two very simple functions. Regenerating endlessly a stock of high power explosive notes attached to the blade, and directing the explosive force of those notes towards the one being swung on instead of the wielder. Still requires immense durability not to get plastered. Reaction force recoil is still a thing.

Ultimately, every weapon in canon that is unique is based on seals, and has rules that should provide inspiration for the kinds of things which can be done.

Fulcon and NightmareWarden like this.
  4. demonitter

demonitter Making the rounds.

Sealing concepts is dumb, because if you can seal one thing, you can probably seal another. At which point why not just seal winning into whatever? Isn't winning better than cutting? Or erasing, disintegrating and so on...

Much better to not bring concepts and effects that use/affect/manipulate into stories, any use that does not win instantly marks the protag/user as dumb.

zarion and Fulcon like this.
  5. Galacticplumber

Most seals in canon that had things that could be called conceptual created rules that effect the battlefield, incur a heavy cost on the user, or both.

Sure, you can summon the god of death to eat the soul of your enemy, or force it into a seal. He's gonna take yours as payment though.

A sealing device that can seal anyone on the battlefield into it directly? It requires that they utter a targeting phrase based on rules. Janky as hell.

A converter that can change your chakra nature to any of the five for you? Sure, but it's an absolute chakra hog that requires kage level reserves to use safely.

This is why most sealwork is based on more straightforward uses. Even legendary stuff. Even the flying thunder god seals are just markers necessary to use a jutsu the Yondaime perfected. Just having the kunai they're commonly placed on does you no good.

zarion and Fulcon like this.
  6. demonitter

demonitter Making the rounds.

Speaking of having some of the Kunai, does the jutsu targeting aim at just the seals or seals + chakra? Because just having the kunai might not allow you to get the jutsu itself, but is sure as hell allows you to develop a disruptor or inhibitor, that either messes any similar signals to mush or spreads vague fake seals that can be detected but not teleported to by the jutsu or simply disables any such seals in a area.

As someone somewhere said at some point, "There are no strongest techniques, only strongest fighters."

Fulcon likes this.
  7. Galacticplumber

Over a decade after obito had a seal placed on him with a touch, including the death of the one who made the seal, the seal was still there for him to abuse for combat advantage when he revived.

All seals have chakra in them. Elsewise they're doodles and nothing more. You cannot fake a seal to fool the user, because the entire point of the beacon is that they can feel their chakra in it from any distance, and link to it.

Two people who know the jutsu, and cooperate, are capable of using each other's seals. This would be based on chakra sharing. This is only ever relevant when the two people in all of history who know it are brought back to life for the same fight. With the exception of the one on Obito's back no examples of the seal exist outside Konoha.

As for disruption, if you think you can do in an actionable time-frame what the leading living member of the most infamous criminal organization in the world couldn't in over a decade be my guest.

It's not that it's the strongest technique. It's that it's one of two signature techniques of the youngest hokage in history. He had this, Rasengan, got taught toads by Jiraya, a smattering of other teleportation fuinjutsu for attack redirection, the reaper death seal EVERY hokage knows, attempted sage mode he never managed while alive, Some wind style he barely uses, and high speed hand to hand with Kunai.

Using merely the two techs he made himself on that list, he single-handedly murdered half of the entire standing army of Iwagakure, earning him the first designation of flee on sight since they bothered with printing Bingo Books. Not unbeatable mind. He did die. Just don't even both unless you're kage level. The man quite literally set records for the most Jonin level ninja killed in one fight.

Willian, zarion and Fulcon like this.
  8. Anthony1967

Anthony1967 Know what you're doing yet?

mAh FiX! I neEd mAH fiX

Fulcon likes this.
  9. Fulcon

Fulcon Wim Hoff Method Initiate

I don't got a fix for you yet. D:

Anthony1967 likes this.
  10. Galacticplumber

Writer's block? Open invitation to PM me if you wanna talk about it. Second set of eyes, and a change in perspective is a time honored method for making stuff happen.

Fulcon likes this.
  11. Fulcon

Fulcon Wim Hoff Method Initiate

So...bad news everyone.

My Dad is in the hospital due to an infection in his leg. Next update might take a bit.

(I mean, I'll still try but...)

12. High Lord Rokland

High Lord Rokland Getting out there.

Best of luck man, hope he is ok.

Fulcon likes this.
  13. Galacticplumber

I can wait. An unhappy stressed author pushing themselves to force something rarely ends well. Some find writing to be a relaxation activity. Some don't. The story will continue when it continues.

Fulcon likes this.
  14. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Know what you're doing yet?

May the antibiotics be strong and effective!

Fulcon likes this.
  15. GamertagzFTW

GamertagzFTW Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

The story will continue when author morale improves! (Take care of yourself Fulcon!)

Fulcon likes this.