1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Styling requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by alethiophile, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Zedrt

Zedrt Getting sticky.

I'm pretty sure it's been asked already, UI.X doesn't show the tags.

evildice likes this.
  2. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Other than that, it's my preferred theme.

It'd be really cool if UI.X did show tags.

3. MyddynEmrys

MyddynEmrys Getting sticky.

Hello,
    I am making war with the xenforo/QQ fonts. Essentially I need to write things either with a handwriting/calligraphy font or with a blackletter/fraktur (those that looks like gothic writings), but every font I tried wasn't supported.

Then I noticed that Comic Sans is supported, even if it is not in the font list that appears when you make a post, and now I am wondering if there is a list of all fonts supported by xenforo/QQ.

Alternatively: what if I make an image with the text I want in the font I want, then put the image inside the text? Something like this:

Font I want - normal text
    Only with the first part made with an image

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  4. evildice

Your text isn't actually Comic Sans -- you can tell by the way it has serifs on it.

5. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

I have no idea what you're on about, I see neither serifs nor comic sans in that post.

6. evildice

Maybe it's theme dependent then.

Here's what it looks like on my screen:

[​IMG]

Note the serifs.

7. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

AFAICT, Xenforo doesn't have a limited list of supported fonts. When you use [font=foo], you can put anything in for 'foo' (modulo certain character restrictions) and it will dutifully be rendered to HTML as a <span style="font-family: 'foo'"> and what happens after that is up to your browser.

Fortunately, that means you can, in fact, produce cursive text quite easily, since Brush Script MT is a web-safe cursive font:
    Code:
    [font=Brush Script MT]Test: Brush Script MT[/font]
    Test: Brush Script MT
    (However, note that Brush Script MT isn't particularly readable; I wouldn't use it for anything longer than a single line.)

Edit: Here is the generally-accepted list of web-safe fonts; anything on that list ought to be safe to use. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any really gothic options.

Alternately, you can just specify 'cursive' and let the reader's browser decide what cursive font to use. Unfortunately, in the case of Google Chrome, the default 'cursive' font - at least on my machine - is Comic Sans. (Apparently Google is interpreting the 'cursive' font-family as 'looks like hand-written text' rather than 'looks like cursive handwriting'.):
    Code:
    [font=cursive]Test: cursive (any)[/font]
    Test: cursive (any)

Edit: Whoops. Turns out I missed a subtle but important detail: [font=cursive] renders to HTML as <span style="font-family: 'cursive'">. Unfortunately, there is an important difference between "font-family: cursive", which means 'find any font of the "cursive" type; I don't care which one', and "font-family: 'cursive'", which means 'look for a specific font with the name "cursive", and if you can't find it fall back to your global default'. (Or at least that's how Chrome handles the two.) So it's not actually possible to specify a generic font family at all in Xenforo.

The underlying HTML is:
    Code:
    Then I noticed that <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans'">Comic Sans</span> <b>is</b> supported,
    So if it's not actually displaying in Comic Sans, that's because your browser either doesn't recognise or doesn't support it. (Though, to be fair, 'Comic Sans' isn't on the web-safe fonts list, so the style ought to include a fallback to either a specific web-safe font or to the desired font family, i.e. 'sans-serif'. (On the gripping hand, in order to include such a fallback automatically, Xenforo would have to recognize 'Comic Sans' and identify it as a sans-serif font, and you can't include the fallback manually because comma isn't one of the characters allowed in a [font] tag.))

In my case - Google Chrome on Win10 - Comic Sans is supported, but the full name of the font is 'Comic Sans MS' and the short version is not recgonized:
    Code:
    [font=Comic Sans MS]Test: Comic Sans MS[/font]
    Test: Comic Sans MS

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  8. evildice

[​IMG]

That particular horror is correctly represented.

9. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

Another thing you guys should consider is that trying to force specific fonts instead of a family, like cursive, will only work on windows machines. Anyone using linux or mac, maybe android idk, won't see what you want them to since they won't have those fonts unless they go out of their way to install them. They will not be installed by default due to copyright.

10. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

That's a potential problem for Comic Sans MS, but not for Brush Script MT; the reason it is called a 'web-safe' font is that all major browsers on all major OSes support it.

11. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

That might be a different font? However, it looks substantially the same to me -- it's still displaying a pretty typical sans-serif font. Like, my clues are that it looks like a subtly different size, kind of thing.

Firefox on Android is not showing me the dramatic font switches other people are seeing, no. This might be specific to XF1, I recall reading a story on SV that used a particular font for all story posts that I think worked.

And all this back-and-forth about fonts isn't even touching on screen readers or downloads for e-readers. If I'm liking your story, and I use FicHub to download it for use on my old Kindle, there is a 100% chance that any clever font tricks or obscure Unicode code points will be lots on me. (It even mangles zalgo text into something actually readable! I just have to piece the words together out of the spread-out letters.) Please just use regular formatting codes (bold, italics, underline, strike-through).

12. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Hrm. If you were on desktop I'd suggest using element inspection to find out what font is actually being used, but it sounds like you're on mobile.

13. evildice

wasprider and macdjord like this.
  14. Konb

Konb My life is いぬのきもちいい vol.001

I'm pretty sure it's been asked already, UI.X doesn't show the tags is there any way to get around this?

evildice likes this.
  15. havefeith

havefeith Cute Haru is cute.

Can I request a setting somewhere that allows users to change the default text size? Something changed recently and all the text is hard to read. Or focus on in general. I'm honestly surprised QQ doesn't have that yet for all styles/UIs/Modes. SB/SV have it by default at the top.

fijiman483 and pendevin like this.
  16. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

That can only come with the new Xenforo version, to which updating to is a work in-progress.

In the meantime just use browser zoom, mine is at 170% for example.

Though nothing changed recently so check first if you don't have zoom at like 50% or something.

AraelStannis, pendevin and havefeith like this.
  17. havefeith

havefeith Cute Haru is cute.

Yeah, I think my zoom reset itself for no apparent reason. I usually have that at 150%. Edit: as in, I didn't touch the accessibility options until after it got changed. Was there a chrome update for android? Because that's the only reason I can see why the thing reset.

pendevin and evildice like this.
  18. Paladin Wulfen

Paladin Wulfen Not too sore, are you?

Hello. I have the problem that if I want to upload an image, if that image turns out to be huge and I try to make it small or less spacious, it ends up reverting to its original size and it is very annoying. Is there any way to fix it ? In other websites don't happen.

19. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

How exactly are you trying to 'make it small'?

20. Paladin Wulfen

When i gonna post the picture, you know give the option like make it more big or small, right ? Well with that way

21. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

I'm not aware of any such option in the editor interface. Can you explain exactly what you are doing? What buttons are you clicking?

22. Paladin Wulfen

I show you all process i do.

First.
    [​IMG]
    Second
    Enter the image url

Third
    [​IMG]

Fourth
    Upload.

Fifth.
    Suffer because the picture don't is the size you wanted put.

23. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Huh. I'd never noticed those size adjustment thingies before.

AFAIK, BBCode - or at least the version that QQ is currently running - doesn't even support resizing images, so the fact that the editor even displays those widgets is probably a bug (or at least a misfeature).

24. Some_Dick

Some_Dick Kansen Appreciator

I would like to request an option to always display exact date, rather than "Friday at 22:12" or "10 minutes ago", which become less and less helpful the longer a page stays loaded for, meaning I don't know *which* Friday or "yesterday" the relative date refers to.

Alternatively, I could imagine a locally dynamic date display object that has the timestamp and updates based on system time. The current "static timestamp relative to page load time" is at least at times not particularly useful to me.

evildice likes this.
  25. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

It changes to actual date past a week. Take a look at the post before yours.

26. evildice

Just FYI, the timestamp isn't static relative to page load time.

When I opened the thread, Biigoh's post above mine said "10 minutes ago", and then when I returned to the tab just now (not reloading it, just letting it stew in its own background tab and then returning to view the tab) now that same post right above mine says "Today at 11:22"

So I think the timestamps already do update themselves.

Some_Dick and macdjord like this.
  27. Some_Dick

Huh. I think I'd still rather have the option to disable relative timestamps

28. Some_Dick

Actually, I just had evidence to the contrary on that, I had the latest threadmark in Hard Enough opened from yesterday, and the post timer read "9 minutes ago" just now, until I reloaded the tab which is when it got an updated timestamp of "Yesterday at 22:05"

29. AztecCroc

AztecCroc Not too sore, are you?

That seems to be because you're using the 24 hour clock instead of the normal one. Cause it's working just fine for me.

30. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Not sure if this is the right place for this suggestion.

For every Xenforo forum, I have the same wish.

[​IMG]

If you are logged in and using the search pop up, I'd appreciate a button that automatically placed your own user name in the "Posted by Member" field.

Quite a lot of the time I use the search feature I'm looking for something I posted. Obviously it's not a huge hassle to type your own name in, but it would be convenient.

macdjord likes this.