1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Garlandknight

Garlandknight Happiest Arbites

Vega is great. My favorite moments with him is the moment where you fire the BFG10K, which is also a callback to the previous level where the Slayer keeps trying to fire a turret that was locked and Vega has to unlock it for him. It's short, but it really shows the Slayer and Vega's personalities, and does so without Doomguy having to say a word.

But personally, I felt the game's narration really picked up once Hayden took over the commentary. He's more eloquent, smugger and to me it seems like he takes a lot of pleasure in taunting the Slayer with his past failures and the horrors the Khan Maykr and Hell have unleashed.

The way he describes the ultimate edginess of Nekravol, especially, drives home the horrors of Hell in a way I doubt Vega could ever match.

2. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

So, I was listening to this again, and came up with an idea. Could do it like the song or on the good 'ol seven seas.

So, game opens up as you're patrolling for pirates or whatever, get to know your small crew- then the battle happens, very dramatic, your captain chewing the scenery to motivate the crew despite being outnumbered and outgunned, etc. Captain takes a shot to the gut after an explosion, but doesn't pay it any mind. Maybe a pan to reveal he's got a giant hole in his body and still operating despite that. Ignoring all the ship's warnings, even when they depressurize- motivated by the captain's grit, they ignore all the pain, focusing on taking the bastards with them. Then they're alone again in space. The celebration is interrupted as they all begin fading from sight, panicking of course. Then they're floating about in a void, a clamor of voices and feelings- until the captain brings them to order, and something that looks like reality forms around them.

Tl;dr: They realize they're dead, including the ship (the AI is talking but it's clear it's as dead as they,) but they're still... there, somehow. Timelapse happens as they all come to terms with it, a lot of screaming and crying. Then the demons attack, and the captain rallies their defense, fighting them off. He tells the navigator to chart a course right after, and they emerge into real space, right on top of a pirate attack- events proceed per the song. Their deed done, back in the void, they discuss what happened- and lay it out. They haven't gone where they were supposed to, and those demons wanted to get them there- it's probably nowhere nice, either. They can effect change in the world, saving people- but the ship somehow knows that if they reveal themselves in truth that they will be restricted and possibly sent on immediately. They cannot have a Legend, but may have a Myth- the more sailor's superstition they are, the more powerful their ship becomes, and the better they can fight off the demons, but should people at large believe in them... they may be forced on.

I'm not sure how to convey all of that exactly, but you get the idea. You play as a ghost ship, saving innocents from pirates to build a Myth, keep official word of you from being believed, and fend off spirits trying to force you onward. Maybe throw in a war in the real world. End it on a low note as they all finally give in and move on, or a high note where they decide to appear and turn the tide of a major battle, giving up the fight for one last hurrah.

Just an idea I had. Could pull it off with a good lead character, I think.

Rakdos92 and Velk like this.
  3. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

The ghost ship angle could be used for a respawn mechanic like Shadow of Mordor; lose a fight, some time passes and you respawn.
    Could also tie a morality/reputation mechanic into apearance... good actions result in overhearing NPC's tell stories where the PC and ship are seen as guardian angel-like figures like in the song, while evil actions result in them being seen as something more like the Black Pearl in Pirates of the Caribbean, with the PC, ship and crew changing appearance to match.

Anonnermus likes this.
  4. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  5. wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

Reinstalled Sid Meier's Colonization and man oh man is it hard.

I can easily com-stomp Alpha Centauri even when I'm playing the worst faction *coughMiriamcoughDataAngelscough* but Colonization stomp my ass hard. I've been playing every chance I get the past few days and the best I ever do is get my name on a parking lot.

6. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

I'm not going to go so far as to delete and uninstall all the games I've purchased from them, but I'm definitely giving them the side-eye and watching them carefully before I purchase any more of their products.

7. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Hell yeah, Evil Genius 2 finally has a release date and it's March 30th!

8. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

I really hope it doesn't go as badly as that Dungeon Keepers remake that was turned into a fucking mobile game.

Rakdos92 and Desalis like this.
  9. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Well considering that it is not an EA product, I'm slightly hopeful this won't be the case.

10. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Sad to say but I've been burned too many times to have any real faith till I see the actual product itself. Just too many grifters and shitty developers out there.

Velk and Desalis like this.
  11. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Hence the reason I said slightly.

12. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

The lack of a pre-order makes me even more hopeful. The trend seems to be to hype up pre-orders to get that easy burst of cash before people can realize it's shit.

Not a guarantee, but it's not acting like the worst offenders thus far.

awesomecow likes this.
  13. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Isn't there some kind of mobile Evil Genius game though?

14. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Maybe? I just know about the Dungeon Keeper one.

15. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

I think there was a Facebook game years ago that had its plug pulled sometime back.

daimahou likes this.
  16. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Not to my knowledge, there's just the one old PC game.

17. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Evil Genius Online

18. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Yup, that was the Facebook game in question.

19. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

The crossover we deserve:

20. Mistodon

Mistodon Invading the city of Alexandria

The extended version's also on youtube, if anyone's wondering.

That line about Doomguy cultivating carnations just tickles me.

21. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

And Nintendo is surprised that the most requested character for Smash Ultimate is the Doom Slayer, purely because of the reason above?

daimahou and Velk like this.
  22. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

So, I just finished watching this retrospective on the Half-Life & co. games. It was fun, and included a segment on Black Mesa which I'm now planning on playing the next time I replay the series.

But the big thing for me was the last segment, about Half-Life Alyx. He ended it with a talk about its ending, preceded with a spoiler warning which I ignored since lmao computer + VR set to play it isn't going to happen.

Holy shit that ending.

23. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I only played a little bit of the first game before my old XBox shit itself on me so I'll probably get this at some point.

Desalis likes this.
  24. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

My opinion on the ME Trilogy:

1 was the best RPG of the three, even if the shooter elements and some of the mechanics (both in and out of battle) had issues.

2 was trying to be the opposite of 1; whereas ME1 was an attempt to make a third person shooter version of KoToR 1, ME2 was an attempt to make a third person shooter with RPG elements. I generally think it was the worst of the trilogy. Also, the save data transfer from 1 was kinda screwy, but that's also partly the fault of 1's save routines being somewhat messed up to begin with.

(Basically, a couple decisions from the first game aren't read correctly by ME2, but a couple decisions also aren't properly saved by ME1 in the first place, and the last major decision of ME1 occurs after you've lost the ability to manually save and the game makes the "game cleared" save autosave. That last decision not being saved period was at least known, as a early mandatory conversation in ME2 basically asks you what choice you picked. Most of the other save screwups resulted in ME3 being programmed to ignore the affected results in imported ME2 save data.)

3 was basically 2, done mostly right; I don't like how they partly tied what version of your chosen ending you got to playing the mobile app or multiplayer, but overall I rather liked it (just don't ask me if I liked it more than ME1, because I don't have an answer for that). It's definitely the best shooter of the three.

Incidentally, I'm of the opinion that ME3's multiplayer was extremely good; then again, it's basically a slower-paced proto-Warframe, and given that Warframe has basically never left my Switch's home screen since it came out (outside of me needed to redownload everything because I upgraded the microSD card)... Yeah, if they split off the multiplayer and released it as a stand alone game, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

25. Desalis

Desalis Journey before desination

The Legendary Edition looks like a definite buy for me (eventually after I see how it runs). I loved Mass Effect before the ending of 3 soured me on it, but still have some very fond memories of it and the games look gorgeous in that trailer.

26. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Everything I have heard about this "Legendary Edition" makes me wary of buying it. For starters, it lacks one dlc (the station or whatever it was called), the gameplay will standardized across the individual entries which means they have to rework all the maps, and apparently they intend to drop several side-quests and maps. Overall, not what I'm interested in.

27. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

ME1 and 2 were two of the first games I bought on Steam ten years ago, but never got 3 because fuck Origin. I just hope there'll be a discount or freebie on this like there was on the Skyrim and Arkham rereleases.

28. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

To be fair, the thing with the DLC isn't really Bioware's fault. Besides if the reactions are anything to go by, not a lot of people are going to miss it.

SwiftRosenthal likes this.
  29. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I tried Pinnacle Station on the original. It's just a set of single-player arena maps with no substantial reward. The arenas in the Ratchet and Clank series are actually good. Pinnacle Station was not.

30. Hunter 1

Hunter 1 Know what you're doing yet?

Pinnacle Station allowed access to what are arguably the best armors in ME1. Otherwise, it contributes nothing to the core game.

It's also not the first time BioWare's put a vendor with some of the best stuff in the game on a otherwise pointless location added via update or DLC; I'm pretty sure they did the exact same thing in KoToR 1.

Rakdos92, Derek58 and daimahou like this.