1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome back to QQ. The search function will be unavailable for some hours until the index has been rebuilt.
    Dismiss Notice

Walk on the Moon (Naruto SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by SixPerfections, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jade Isentry

Jade Isentry Unshakable

Haha. yeah. Henge is one of the most under-utilized, underappreciated jutsu in the series. The number of times the entire story would have gone COMPLETELY differently because any of the characters with a speck of brains would have just used henge in thus-and-such a way is mind-boggling.

That said, There are a few problems with it in this scenario. We already know that ninja can be restrained/tied-up somehow without them simply henging into a thinner shape and slipping out of the restraints. I assume that whatever is being done to make this possible would be used on captured kunoichi. For that matter, remember the handcuffs earlier on this story that kept Rei from using chakra? Any jutsu meant to punish would-be sexual assaulters would have to be something automatic that would work regardless of such obstacles, otherwise, the kunoichi would still need to be prepared for the possibility of abuse when captured if their captors were well equipped.

Heck, she might still have to be prepared for this, or even want it to happen if her technique took effect as a result of him sticking his stick in her, rather than stopping him from doing it in the first place. Anything to complete the mission right? A woman who can do what a man can't is hailed as a hero. Get the spy parasite into him!

2. Jade Isentry

Jade Isentry Unshakable

How is she going to actually use any of the jutsu that nobody outside of the Rock Village should know (like the fire armor or fire dragon jutsus) without this happening? Won't that be fun to explain? It seems she has gotten her cake, but can't eat it. Even the Sarutobi jutsu has this problem. I am kind of waiting to see how, not if, the hammer falls on her.

Ms. Yamanaka: "Honey, where did you learn a technique like that? Students your age don't have access to stuff like that."

Rei: "Uuuuuummm..."

Repeat scene with any teacher or local chunin/jounin.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    acerak likes this.
  3. Onmur

Onmur Getting some practice in, huh?

The hands would be restrained so they can't make hand seals.

It wouldn't be effective for long, though, since the ninja do training to escape from being tied up.

4. IvanDead

IvanDead Not too sore, are you?

The explanation of "The genius prodigio in jutsu reinvented the wheel out of boredom" works wonders as long as she doesn't confirm the alternative, i.e. "I didn't reinvent shit, I just stole from others. Probably from you too, btw."

5. Jade Isentry

Jade Isentry Unshakable

That only works if the jutsu is something very generic that anyone might need or follow a probable path to inventing. Lots of people might need and make a wheel, since that's almost the only real solution to a common problem. A lot, if not all of those jutsu described are very specialized and creative. More like making a wheel with a very specific and intricate crest emblazoned on it. "That's copyrighted!" the rock village cries out. "Off with her head!"

acerak likes this.
  6. Commonwealth1991

Commonwealth1991 Getting out there.

Somehow I doubt Rei would be caught red handed in the situation you're imagining. If her excursion into the summoning realm and her heated confrontation with a jounin level opponent have taught us anything, it's that Rei tends to overprepare for any potentially volatile situation. This could be through making up a series of convincing alibis, creating false evidence, or altering the jutsu to differentiate it from its initial form.

Lets not discount that it's also unanimously agreed within Konoha that Rei is a prodigy, a remarkable one at that. Being the youngest person in history to attain a summoning contract and recently creating a technique that neutralizes an entire branch of ninja arts. If you follow this train of logic it's not too much of a stretch to believe that she is capable of using a C - ranked fire jutsu, which is essentially a glorified flamethrower.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    IvanDead likes this.
  7. Zerul X

Zerul X Getting sticky.

Three things to keep in mind:

1) Stealing jutsu from enemies isn't going to make you popular with that specific enemy and it'll probably get you killed if you're caught in the act, but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would get everyone to come after you. By and large, even more direct and egregious attacks, like attempting to kidnap children with unique bloodlines, doesn't seem to earn concerted retaliation. Something like stealing knowledge that the enemy's supposed to be good at keeping secret might even earn you praise.

2) There's more than one way to steal a jutsu. Rei went with the direct approach of stealing the scrolls, but there's also the indirect approach of trying to reverse engineer it from observation or descriptions and there's no real way to tell the two apart from the end result. So, if anyone calls her on the origins of her jutsu, particularly the Sarutobi jutsu, she can claim she saw and/or heard about them and thought it would be interesting to reverse engineer how they worked. She already has a reputation for doing this with the summoning jutsu and it's hard to legitimately censure her for that type of theft (otherwise the Uchiha would have been in much worse shape).

3) Stealing jutsu is only an issue if a person who recognizes the jutsu and cares about its origin sees you use it. Seriously, with the number of fire using ninja and the strong link between dragons and fire, how many variants of "and then she created a blast of fire in the shape of a dragon" do you think their are? My guess is a lot. Similarly, why would a Mist-nin care if she has a couple of techniques a sand-nin clan uses (as an example), beyond it being another dangerous in her arsenal?

Zeus, IvanDead, Varano and 5 others like this.
  8. Jade Isentry

Jade Isentry Unshakable

Ok, yeah. I guess my concerns are fairly unfounded. Good points. She just needs to set up the right circumstances to give herself the proper excuses for having any given jutsu, and she's thorough about prep if anything.

Zerul X likes this.
  9. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

Do you think the rats wouldn't be keeping a copy of that stuff for themselves already?
    They don't think of her as a master, but rather an adoptive sibling who gives the family a unique 'in' to a whole other world of shit to take and people to shank, as well as potentially a strong fighter to help defend them.
    I have no doubt that they're volunteering resources to help her grow stronger on a priority mix similar to the following - 10% 'she's family, making her better and safer is good', 30% 'she's our future nuke, maybe', 60% 'Whatever knowledge we steal, we can use to strengthen the rest of the Family as much as it strengthens her'.

Or, put another way, Worm voiced the perspective that anything scroll-or-bookish belonging to a member of the family was reasonable for another family member to borrow without asking with no real consequences. That was the whole problem of perspective that led to stealing a Sarutobi jutsu.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    IvanDead, Izicata, GLH and 10 others like this.
  10. varoksa

varoksa Getting sticky.

SixPerfections you have any ideas about doing omakes again? i really enjoyed the few you did of grown up Rei Sensei and Rei in Worm.

11. SolipsistSerpent

SolipsistSerpent Endlessly Devouring

Honestly, I have to assume that it's another Jutsu that Naruto's high levels of chakra let him cheat at. Not that he's doing a special henge like some people have posited, that's silly, the Toad Boss wouldn't have expected him to be able to grow claws if he had some special ability no one had seen before, but that doing things like growing claws or turning into a shuriken or changing in any way out of your default human body shape take lots of energy (which the Toad Boss would know Naruto had because the kid could summon him). Kind of like no one else spams Shadow Clone, because most of them can't and the ones that can probably think they have better uses of energy. This would also explain why Kiba's clan have a special henge variant that gives them claws and heightens their senses, because doing that with the normal henge is tricky and inefficient.

That's not to say it isn't underutilized (it still is) but that probably part of the reason it is is that everyone's used to seeing it done with the limitations small amounts of chakra expenditure put on it and most of them learn it when they're starting out and have relatively low chakra, so they develop habits that stick with them later.

Izicata, IvanDead, Varano and 4 others like this.
  12. cezyou

cezyou Know what you're doing yet?

People act against this kind of logical incentive all the time IRL. Tons of laws about not murdering people and how you're gonna be in big trouble if you do, and yet people still murder. Likewise with rape. People don't do crimes because they're stupid (well, sometimes they do) they do them because they think they can get away with it.
    This is an Asian setting. Dragons are water-associated, not fire. That's not to say that Naruto's element system directly corresponds with the IRL Wu Xing (it clearly doesn't, two of the basic elements are completely different) but dragons being associated with fire would be unusual in this kind of setting.

edit: yes I know that there are dragon techs in all five elements. but dragons are not fire in asia at all, is what I want to say. western preconception

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    IvanDead likes this.
  13. SolipsistSerpent

I think people will use dragons for any elemental technique in Naruto. At the very least both water (Zabuza) and earth (Orochimaru) dragon shaped techniques are used and I imagine there's more I don't remember/haven't seen.

ItsComplicated and Prince Charon like this.
  14. Ayashi

Ayashi Experienced.

The game Naruto_Shippūden:_Dragon_Blade_Chronicles has dragons appear of each of the five elements.

15. siddharth1998m

siddharth1998m Making the rounds.

hey Six!!
    Since Rei will be training with Gai can we expect her to do the weighted clothes training because i am imagining her casually dropping weighted clothes like this https://imgur.com/JzOMJkX during the exams to show off.

16. SolipsistSerpent

17. siddharth1998m

Hey Six!!!!!
    when is the next update? As i can't wait to see Rei interact with Guy.

18. siddharth1998m

• Do not necro. This is against Rule 7.
    Soooooooooooooooo
    When can we expect an another update?

rkdesc likes this.
  19. Ayashi

Ayashi Experienced.

Every time you bug an author with whining like that the update gets pushed back a couple of months. Also, god kills a catgirl. Please think of the cat girls!

So in the famous immortal words: “Patience you must have my young Padawan.”

20. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Making the rounds.

• Once more, do not necro. This is against Rule 7.
    Hey Six, longtime fan here (I usually read ffnet and have just gotten into SB/SV/QQ), and can I just thank you for your decision to include all these cute girlcrushes in your story? It does my poor lesbian heart good.

On a more serious note, do you think there's any way for Rei and Hinata to have a relationship? The age difference is less of a factor because of how Rei's maturity scales with her physical age (so it's not like she's a 30 year old wearing a 12 year old's skin), but the complete and total dependence Hinata has on Rei, mixed with the growing dependence Rei has on Hinata, might cause some issues down the line.

Like, Rei's current plan, last time we heard it, seems to be leaving Hinata behind in the village as a way to maintain influence. Now obviously that would emotionally and psychologically destroy Hinata, but I think that Rei doesn't realize it would probably destroy her as well, given how much she seems to lean on Hinata as her one true confidant. I think the scene where Rei realizes she can't leave Hinata behind is going to be very interesting (and potentially extremely sweet and gay). Not gonna lie, I am heavily rooting for the pairing because the codependency and domme/sub vibes tickle pretty much every single kinky bone in my body.

Naberius and ItsComplicated like this.
  21. Cherico

Cherico Well worn.

I would like to not that Hannya is new and thus doesn't know about the no Necro rule.

I ask that as a new poster she receive leniency and mercy and just get a warning.

22. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

She get warned like everyone else. Also, thread locked.

SixPerfections
    Call us when you want it unlocked.

ItsComplicated, Cherico and Keksimus like this.