1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh, very possible. It would also make the person who did it the enemy of just about everyone.

Xmaster3000, Bud-E, Vorian and 12 others like this.
  2. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Next villian plan: Ignite everything with this method.

3. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

Jade is 100% going to be in that group

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It would be interesting to see them interact more on the field.

5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Their last mission together changed the rulership and core driving principles of Hell. Making a bunch of trouble for the Reach, however inadvertently, should fit the pattern pretty well.

The above discussion about Lex makes me wonder, maybe Venus Sivana's economics skills could be put to good use in helping counter him somehow, connecting her to Kord or something. I don't think she needs a pardon or anything, right?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, she's clean.

However, while she may be highly intelligent, nothing has been mentioned of her being anything like the world's expert on economics or a super genius in the field.

Yeah she's smart, but not super smart, so Luthor may be able to cover his trails and make sure she can't do anything to him.

7. DrThoth

True; actually Georgia might be a better bet to direct against Lex, she has economic interests given her admiration of Ploutos, but I imagine she'll be caught up with anti-Reach efforts for now, as well as that sociological study Paragon asked her to do (I forget if there were any results she found).

Venus's involvement doesn't directly boost the chances of financial/corporate/economic warfare against Lex all that much, but she does come with the implicit promise that anyone targeting her in way will bring the Sivanas' collective attention and potential wrath upon them.

This is mostly just a new line for my constant pushing for someone to just finally take down Lexcorp (or fully rehabilitate it, since Lex himself is more of the issue) through non-superheroic / righteous face-punching means. I assume Batman does what he can on this front as Bruce Wayne, but given that Captain Cold only got job offers from Lexcorp and Alva, I don't have a lot of hope in him shaking up the status quo.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  8. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Good. Now that he knows how to turn a construct into a ring, it should be possible for him to reverse the process...

9. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, I'm expecting some magical supervillain to do it out of ignorance. As in, they simply don't know about the proliferation of many many weak wards across all the important documents and servers.

Or Constantine. "Burn ALL the important papers just to burn that specific one" sounds like a Constantine level of collateral

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be able to turn constructs into rings and potentially back into ordinary constructs, but I'm betting it's going to take a whole lot more to actually turn them back into people.

I can see him doing this.

11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

her name is Imp and she’s from Worm and she’s a treasure

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Like getting their souls out of whatever afterlife they're in.

14. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

24th August 2012
    15:55 GMT

"Oh."

Lantern Threllian's environmental shield cuts out completely as he hears the news. I expected something like that might happen, which is why I made sure to tell him on the surface of Maltus well away from obvious sources of danger.

Most of his species were believed dead at the hands of the Reach, and given their environmental requirements and the fact that the escapees aren't numerous enough to fill a small town they weren't prioritised for access to the newly terraformed planets. Most of them chose to enter suspended animation, but Threllian decided to join the Darkstars instead. Dox tapped him for our headquarters staff during his first wave of recruits in virtue of the fact that he was the second most intelligent non-Controller on Maltus.

There's nothing quite like knowing that the Reach conquered your people so they could use their brains in their computers to make you want them dead.

"I don't-." I shake my head. "They're almost certainly controlled to the point of being mindless-."

He shakes his head. "The biological samples alone are.. invaluable. Illustres, I.. beg you to let me accompany you."

"Try flying."

He twitches, as if expecting to rise off the ground.

"I-."

"I understand, and I'm sympathetic. But if you can't use your ring reliably I can't in good conscience bring you with us."

He closes his eye for a moment, then his environmental shield snaps back on.

"I will master myself. I was.. taken by surprise. It will not happen again"

I take a moment to look inside him. There's no questioning his commitment, but that news rekindled a hope he'd long buried. He'd decided in his own mind that his species were heading for extinction, and on the off-chance that they weren't that he wouldn't live to see their rebirth. Even after the founding of the Orange Lantern Corps he regarded it as such a long term endeavour that it didn't change his mindset beyond 'it's good that that will be dealt with'.

But if we get enough biological samples, it shouldn't be that hard to persuade a Controller with geomantic inclinations to build them a planet and set up the cloning systems they need for accelerated biogenesis. The hold up had been that there wasn't enough genetic variety and the Controller who took the job would have to create it artificially, but with that done there could be a functioning planet up and running inside ten years.

"I can't tell whether that's true or not."

"Illustres, I assure you, when faced with the enemy I will not deviate."

"And I'm sure that you believe that." I frown. "Take a moment to review my file on Lantern Koriand'r."

His eye glows for a second.

"The.. blue ring."

I shrug. "There's nothing wrong with feeling hopeful. Ordinarily I'd say that if you're feeling hopeful, feel hopeful. But I don't have a spare blue ring." I bow my head for a moment. "Your life is your own. If you choose to risk it in this fashion, I'll have you. But you're intelligent enough-."

"It might be a better use of resources for the Corps to not dispatch me. But as you yourself have said, we are not the Utilitarian Lantern Corps. I want this."

I nod, and pull my ring off my finger and put it in my equipment harness. Then I hold out my left hand.

"Pass me your ring."

He blinks, but complies. For a moment we're incapable of understanding each other, then the environmental shield re-engages as I lay his ring on my palm and hold it out.

"Prove it."

He nods, holding out his left hand. This whole thing's become a bit of a ritual amongst Orange Lanterns, but he gets it. If he can't call it back with a little added resistance, he'd be a fool to come along.

He settles himself, focusing on his desire to destroy the Reach-.

"Do you know if your homeworld was thaumically active?" The ring wobbles. "Because if it was, we might be able to-"

He works out where I'm going with that line of reasoning before I complete the sentence and his calling wobbles, but he bears down and suppresses the distracting impulse so quickly that if I wasn't looking at his thoughts as he did it I may not have noticed.

"-restore anyone we recover."

"Then-" There's a change in… Pressure within his emotional network. Oh, that's interesting. The impulse that was feeding his hope-thoughts is now… Feeding his avarice-related ones as well. "-I want to be there to see it."

The ring leaps from my palm onto his left ring finger, his environmental shield flaring for a moment before settling back down.

"Looks like you're in, then. We'll be hitting your people's fleet second, just in case there's an overt trap involved. I'll want you on analytics."

"Yes, Illustres."

He looks up and then metaphorically rockets into the sky towards our ship. I narrow my eyes… They're installing the bio-lab module now, and I can see the flickers of orange as Lanterns Natu and Nax work to get it connected up faster than Ranx's stevedore teams could on their own. Georgia's still with Dox, so that just leaves Thaddeus.

I

appear next to him in the workshop he's purloined from one of Kalmin's students. It looks like he's taking an inventory.

"Thaddeus-."

"I've never been in a duel before. Do I need to wear special clothes?"

"Depends on how seriously you're taking it. Qwardian duels between Weaponers are about demonstrating their best equipment so there's no restriction on weapons or other equipment. Maltus doesn't have a duelling code."

"Hm." He plugs three devices into each other and twists an activator, causing green energy to collect in a crackling ball. "I am a little surprised you dropped me in it like that. You know I had her, right?"

"I'm a little surprised you picked a fight on a planet that's actually quite important to me. Besides, I'm setting the rules of the fight. I aim to make it a learning experience for both of you."

"If she lasts more than five minutes."

"Then we have it fought in shorter rounds, with time for both of you to work on your equipment between them. This isn't about winning, Doctor Sivana. This is about what you can learn, even from an inferior opponent."

"Are you saying that you were acting in my interests?"

"I didn't honestly think you'd fight like that while you were here as my guest. I wanted you to stop, and I thought that was the best way to get you to do so."

"That's fair." He turns his device off with another twist. "And you have a point. I was treating it as a violent confrontation and not an opportunity. That was short sighted of me."

"If you want another opportunity, I'm going out to pick a fight with the Reach. Do you want to come along?"

"You know? I think that I do."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'the fact that'

maybe 'town, they weren't'

I think there was one female Darkstar that mentioned something like this happened to her people.

If they get enough then they can potentially clone them.

Or maybe they can even reverse the process done to his people.

You would if you killed Sinestro.

missing 'shield'

How would they be able to do it just by the planet being magically active?

Use a Lazarus Pit?

'as Lanterns'

'twists an'

He's a crazy psychopath Paul.

How long will it take you to learn this.

16. DrThoth

What species is Threllian? Is he/his species from the comics or an original invention? They seem to be pretty intelligent if Dox considers him somewhat worthwhile and the Reach is using their brains for computational purposes.

That reminds me of the G-Lusca a bit; I think the Genomorphs could add a lot to N.E.M.O. operations, actually, and could probably negotiate getting their own planet at some point. If that puffball collective can be a Green Lantern, then I don't see why the Genomorph Entire couldn't be an Orange Lantern at some point.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They already have a bunch of Martians for telepathy.

And the Genomorphs are accepted on Earth as sapient beings, so they may not want to leave the planet.

moralrelativity likes this.
  18. Pez

Pez Spaceman

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! The time traveling civilization vampires got the poppa. The mind controlling civilization vampires get the son.

There will be so much fear that it could create another Yellow Central Power Battery.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I think it's okay.
    Threllian.

Finerc, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 5 others like this.
  20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

And here we see two of the awesome features of SI fix it fics:

Bringing a species back from extinction and pointing villains at bigger threats

Nice.

21. DrThoth

There's an Orange Lantern Corps involved, why settle when you could have more?
    And do we really see evidence of Genomorphs integrating well with American/Earth society? They're not being enslaved or mistreated, but I wouldn't exactly call their situation ideal. Though with their focus on integrating magic into their evolution/biological development, Earth probably is the best place to remain for the time being (though they could in theory split up).
    I forget, are there any G-Goblins besides Dubbilex in the Paragon timeline? We haven't really seen them in a while.

Pretty different from what I was imagining.

moralrelativity likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just Dubbilex.

Io actually asked him why they didn't make more like him.

moralrelativity and DrThoth like this.
  23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oof. That's the drawback of focusing solely on one emotion. Any disruption breaks your control and functionality. I'm surprised environment suits or personal life-support fields aren't more popular equipment amongst the Corps. OL's use of powered armour ought to be more widespread. Darkstar Exo-mantles would make a useful backup if nothing else.

So, he's a member of the juluuni? Or of another race the Reach has tucked away for storage? Either way, I can't see him not insisting on coming along, then. (And ninja'd by Mr Zoat himself. Drawback of how long it takes to write this stuff up.)

Then you make a new generation, cleansed of any genetic-level mind-control technology. Which is the plan, after all. But without someone to teach them their people's ways, will they really be the same people?

Ah, yes... That could be a nasty issue. One you could work around if you'd do something about it, OL... Surely Kalmin isn't the only Weaponer trained with Spectrum technology? I mean, the Renegade found a student able to craft a Red ring...

Man, that'd sting. Having a chance to play a part in your people's rebirth, and you're benched because of the hope it brings you?

Really? Really really? This isn't going to be a Sunday stroll, friend.

And if it pays off, he actually can be there to witness it. The key part will be him staying on task, though... One hopeful daydream and... Well.

Careful there, Lantern. That's pushing dangerously close to Will, which can be just as bad in the field...

I mean, if you want to try crafting one yourself... As long as you don't mind spending months focusing on Hope...

Well... There's one good way to prove it...

I wonder... How often does this sort of thing happen amongst Lanterns? A sort of display of dedication, of desire to do the job... I wonder if it's found a name yet, informal or not?

Show him what you're made of, Lantern Threllian.

Wrong place to start. That's a rookie mistake. You should know better than that.

If his species has a blush response, he'd probably be displaying it now... ;) Whether from embarrassment or determination is up to you.

Even if OL is just throwing an implausible idea out there, pulling souls out of their afterlife... That'd be one hell of a feat. And I'm impressed at his ability to modify his thought processes so easily. Take note of that, OL...

Okay, not a juluuni, then. Though looking at Mr Zoat's link to the wiki... x3 Kind of an ugly-cute race.

...Wait, are you planning what I think you're planning?

Probably less advanced technology than he keeps at home, in some cases. He is a Sivana, after all. Also, impressive speed on that greediport. Unless that's just a measure of how mundane it's become for him that it barely rates a mention.

Well, you may want the best armour you've got, along with all the strongest defensive gear you can come up with...

Sure you did. Keep telling yourself that. Sooner or later, she'd have put together something to kick your ass so hard your ancestors would feel it (Not your descendents, of course. You wouldn't be having any...)

Remind me, who's the duelling virgin here? I rather doubt sibling tussles with your sister the Marvel family would have prepared you for a real woman... ( o_O And that metaphor initially came out oddly mixed.)

Well, that and keeping on his father's good side. I doubt Thaddeus senior would appreciate OL letting his son get into a sticky situation with an alien lady at his age... Not that Thaddeus himself hasn't had moments like that...

Indeed. So treat it as the learning opportunity it is. After all, facing off against the Marvels will only go so far for decent tests of your creations.

Ah, a prime new set of test subjects for his designs. Just don't forget your date, Tad.

And the crew continues to come together. Though hitting two of the fleets (at least?) seems optimistic. How do you know the Reach won't relocate or scuttle them once they realise what you're doing, OL? Counting too much on the idea that they might be too valuable to discard once they're at risk? Still, we'll be seeing soon enough...

Vorian, Cuchulin, Finerc and 8 others like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He does know Hades.

Maybe he can do something about that, like resurrecting some of them.

Assuming he can do it.

25. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

You might have dropped a word, ‘aren’t numerous enough’ flows better.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's nice that Paul is sorta friends with a family that has a few mad scientists he can get assistance from. Will there ever come a time when he needs the help of Thaddeus Sr, Jr, and Georgia to destroy something?

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Oh, I'm excited to think that one or more Sivana's might spend their time fighting the Reach. That could shorten the war by quite a bit. But, more importantly to me, I think there's going to be some cool fights coming up.

Vorian, Prince Charon and DrThoth like this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found a broken picture. Were Lex's parents abusive or something?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Depends on the continuity.

Edit: picture updated.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021