1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    I'm afraid most of the New Reichsmen are still on Earth 10. What I meant was that he's inclined to try and get as many collectables as he can, regardless of whether that's an optimal strategy or not. In a game you can always generate more engineers, but in real life those engineers you've ordered to rush the Construction Yard have families.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it first showed up with Max Mercury.

Wally was able to absorb his speed in order to stop him when he was possessed.

I don't think he would have gone for that.

Ploutos is a god of wealth in this story and Paul doesn't really need wealth.

Actually I think before he chose Eris one of the Amazons mentioned him.

3. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

So those TV evangelicists were 100% correct!

The power of Christ compel ye!

//Slap a guy in the face!

Oh lordy I'm healed!

4. Mr Zoat

To be clear, it's an ability from the comics.

Didn't work on Hunter Zolomon because his speed comes from temporal distortion, but it works fine on everyone else and it's teachable.

5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Meh, Superman defeated a Kryptontian GODDESS once, by dunking her in Earth's sun.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but she didn't possess him and then use him to kill and corrupt his friends, as well destroy his home.

I'd say that this is much more traumatizing than that.

7. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

So, nobody else noticed the switch to demon font in the last paragraph?

Cuchulin, Ardy and Pez like this.
  8. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Good news no more Demon Superman.
    Bad news a completely mind broken and soul crushed superman.

Damn it lex stop doing the happy dance!

And an entire earth will need to rebuild.

No Lex we are not doing a GATE: Thus Lex corp exploited here.
    and Don't you you other guys get ideas either, GATE: and thus the Nazi's occupied here isn't going to be a thing either.

9. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Fairly sure that Paul is doing what might be called a virtuous lie. There have been powered source worshipers in DC that did all sorts of things. The faith seems more important than being correct.

Of course Paul is heading that of at the pass.

10. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

It looks the same to me.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Compare the g in "falling" from the last paragraph to the g in "thwarting" toward the end of the preceeding paragraph. It switches to the Demon!Paul font.

Galler and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

I had another look and they are exactly the same... on mobile.

I booted up my PC and yes the second to last paragraph is different to the rest of the text. Good spot! I never would have realised if you hadn't mentioned it.

Edit: The Demons speech is also in the other font too.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

I think that bit of demon speech was like a bit of influence from it’s death cry or something. It might be meaningful or not.

14. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I'm pretty sure the situation is that the super weak Kryptonian demon got some help possessing Superman from a more local Lord of Hell, who is now pissed at everyone.

15. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

He saw it coming because Rakkar was so unsubtle about what he was doing that we had a couple pages of heroes linked to various forces spontaneously going "He comes for you Superman!"

And then off panel presumably went "Huh. Should probably let Clark know something spooky is coming at him."

Pretty much.

The Lords of Hell supercharged Rakkar on the logic that a kryptonian demon would be better able to possess a kryptonian.

16. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Should be 'red beams'

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Darkseid did it.

19. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I remember her from the 90s. Cythonna. Kind of a Kryptonian goddess/yandere obsessive type.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Chad Rao.

[​IMG]

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And the damage he had Supes commit wasn't anywhere near this level.

Prince Charon likes this.
  21. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    23:21 GMT -5

"Mr Holt?"

His company Cyberwear is the tech company version of Image Comics. No actual technological development is done by its employees. Rather, it exists to handle sales, distribution and fabrication of its owner's creative vision.

It has very clearly seen better days.

Something smashed the front doors apart, the hinges holding on while the doors themselves lie in the foyer. Along with a great many neatly-stacked bodies in varying states of decay whose blood has been used to draw demonic sigils on the floor and walls. Mr. Holt is an omnidisciplinary genius and it appears that his genius extended itself to demon magic.

"Mr Holt?"

The intercom crackles.

"Lantern."

"I can't find you with all these wards up. Where are you?"

"Why?"

"So I can fix your arms and legs."

The lift doors clank open and Mr. Holt clunks out, supported by a bodged but solid looking mechanical frame.

"I'll say again." His mask makes it hard to tell what his exact expression is, but his voice sounds like a man who's been through the wringer. Which, obviously, he has. "Why?"

His wounds are bound with some sort of elasticised bandage, each of the spikes I saw go into him having either vanished back to hell or been physically removed.

"Because everyone's been through the same thing as you, and we need someone intelligent enough to put things back together." I raise my left hand slightly, hesitantly pointing my ring at him. "Lex Luthor is confirmed dead, and I haven't been able to find out what happened to Batman."

"Put a gun in his mouth when he started changing." He shakes his head. "I just assumed it was a telepathic attack. I shielded this place against-." He cuts himself off. "Yeah. It makes sense. It's going to have to be me." He looks at my ring. "Is it going to hurt?"

"No."

An orange beam connects us, his body showing the same signs of extreme stress as the various cultists I've patched up in addition to the Glasgow grin and puncture wounds. When the light fades he checks the movement of his hands and then triggers the 'unlock' mechanism on his frame.

"Parallel universe?"

"Two different parallel universes. Diana and Crusader are from this one, Superman and I from Universe Sixteen and the rest from Universe Ten."

"I recognized some of them from Axis Amerika. Is that a parallel where villains are heroes?"

"Um."

"Oh. So what the hell-?" He shudders at his own choice of words. "What are they doing here?"

"Wolf Krieger was trying to expand onto their Earth. They know nothing about magic or parallel universes. They're just here to fix the problem at its source."

"Nazis are playing nice?"

"It's…"

"You went with what you could get."

"In a decent civilisation, you can remain a reasonably moral individual by just doing what everyone around you is. For someone born in a world ruled by fascists, it takes… Effort, most people won't make, in order to become better than you were raised to be."

"True, but if they go right back-. We're in no condition to rehabilitate them here, even if they wanted to stay."

"I know." I shake my head. "I'm just here to dump information on you to get you up to speed. I'll be talking through our ongoing 'rehabilitation' efforts with their Superman."

"What happened with our Superman?"

"Hasn't regained consciousness since we got the demon possessing him out of him and destroyed it. Any idea what happened to him?"

Mr. Holt shakes his head. "It was an actual demon?" I transmit the recording to his mask. His stance changes slightly as he gets confirmation. "A parasite. All of this…"

"With my parallel it was time travellers." I give what I hope is a sympathetic shrug. "Not quite this bad, but we lost a few countries."

"What's the global picture?"

"Morgan le Fay now rules Britain, and she's got things somewhat under control. The Marked were attacking her fortifications but that's not an issue any longer and she probably doesn't need help. Zandia has some religious organisation who was able to keep everyone safe."

"What about everywhere..?" He realises. "Else."

"That's it. Everywhere else… The more urban, the worse things are. I'm sure-."

Alert.

"Ah. Mister Richard Swift has returned to Opal City. I was hoping that he'd recover. It appears that Crusader's spell worked on even individuals with unusual physiology."

"So all the supervillains who survived are back in action."

"Yes, but all of the ones who used their powers for theft just became irrelevant. There's no economy. Even superhuman warlordism-."

"Would actually stabilise things. And probably keep regular people out of the line of fire." He sighs. "I had to burn my T-Spheres to avoid memetic contamination."

"You can just say 'magic'."

"That's imprecise." He looks around. He's not just seeing the bodies for the first time, but he's showing me that he's looking. "I knew these people. When I cut them up, they were happy to be used like that. What did this, I can't think of anything more evil. And I'm not even going to be able to bury them. We don't have time. I'm going to have to drag them outside and cremate them."

"No. I'll handle that. You need to get started on your T-Spheres."

He stares for a few moments longer, then nods.

"How long can you stay for?"

"At the moment, the Nazis are still on-task, hunting down Wolf Krieger and other villains who might be able to make a portal to Earth Ten. But that won't remain the case for long, and I can't leave them unsupervised. Call it three days."

He nods. "Do you have a spare power ring?"

"I can make rings, but orange rings are memetic hazards too. I've gone crazy a few times using it, but-."

Alert! Will detected!

A green power ring flies in through the open door.

"But it looks like that's been taken care of."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Well that's just good timing, nice to hear the greenies are on the ball.

23. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

First time for everything. Is it the Lantern without his legs we saw earlier or someone the Guardians sent to check out non-hell Earth?

24. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Poor guy. The survivors have a lot of work to do. I don't envy them for it.

25. Uyurgezn

Uyurgezn Making the rounds.

I think it is just the ring. Holt was willing himself to be what earth needs at fullpower so a new ring came for him.

26. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fighting the demons was the easy part, its what comes afterwards that will be hard.

Hopefully the GLC can help that along with Guardian support, especially given their newest member.

Man, Mr Holt with a Power Ring will be nuts strong.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Good job handing this Universe to Trigon by the way.

Cuchulin and Senevri like this.
  28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And with a multi-disciplinary super-genius like Holt, those ideas can be creative indeed. Not quite at 'Reed Richards is useless' levels, since some of his stuff probably does make it to general market releases... But I bet big, world-changing stuff was too expensive to get cleared for the public... Bet he has a line of smartphones called T-Phones or something like that. :p

...Ew. Thankfully nothing used the opportunity to come through... Yet. With Rakkar gone, I suspect the Lords of Hell are sorely tempted to make their own moves on a vulnerable Earth...

Oh, boy. He's awake... And hopefully clean, by the sounds of it.

Oh dear, is he suicidal... Again? Given his heroic career started after a visit from the Spectre last time he was this low... Who knows what he's going to do this time.

I see he's been busy. Not bad for under an hour's work. While dealing with multiple puncture wounds to all limbs.

Hopefully they weren't like a Gae Bolg's wounding effect... That would have been nasty. Though he's suffered worse in the comics, including surviving a trip to the Arctic with broken ribs...

...Wow, okay. That is not how I expected Batman to go out.

Surprised you didn't offer a Danner upgrade at the same time. Even at the peak of human capacity, and freshly rejuvenated to his physical peak of that... He's still only human.

Worth remembering, this is not Michael's first ride on the Parallel Universe party bus. 'Infinite Crisis', for a start...

:oops: Awkward. How to best explain it...

Right, smartest man on Earth right now. Of course he'd twig to their origin...

Plus, they'd already made contact with Earth-16, technically.

And they would see nothing to be rehabilitated from, having grown up in that world. As far as they're concerned, other Earths are aberrant. Though thankfully, they can't do anything about it. Not if Overman has any say in the matter.

Yes, do tell. Is he awake? Suicidal? How much did he experience of his possession?

Huh. Let's hope he does wake up. Who knows how Kryptonian souls and demons interact?

I suspect if the Sheeda looked at this period, they'd probably go 'Nope! Nopenopenope!' and pick another era.

..And? I'm sure there are other places that survived? Or are you just focusing on ones you bothered to find?

So, smaller tribes might have gotten off relatively scot-free... Traumatised, but not badly harmed? I bet the Accala made a bit of a mess in their part of the world...

If anything I suspect he's feeling a lot healthier than he ever has in a while... The problem comes down to his friends and allies, though...

Ah, yes, his atheism... No Heaven, no Hell... Just alternate worlds with unusual native lifeforms, huh? But... He's probably right about the warlord thing. Sure, some people might be hurt or killed as they take over, but those who play along... They'll be alive, if nothing else.

Though he's probably committed each and every name and face to memory. If their families are still alive, he'll want to make things right by them...

After all, the world needs heroes right now... And because of Rakkar's targetting Superman's friends and colleagues, they're in short supply, I bet.

After that, any problems are the Justice League's to deal with. Though I suspect Dox is going to have quite a headache after reading his report of his 'days off'...

I suspect Michael could handle it, if he can keep his goals in focus.

Oooh. The Guardians have no idea what they're unleashing... Or they want a firm hand watching over the Life Entity's holiday home...

Well. I wonder if discussion of what he could do with a Power Ring inspired that? Still, it's going to be very useful for him to rebuild Earth. And as long as he doesn't use it to seek political power (which I doubt he would,) it's completely within the Guardian's rule of conduct. We know he's smart enough to cheese it out like all hell, right down to mapping constructs in detail, so it should make things much easier...

His stance changes slightly as he gets confirmation.

That was a minor Green lantern character form the early Kyle Rayner period. Purgatory, an amputee who connected emotionally with Kayner in a chance meeting. Kyle empowered him with a little Will energy, which he used to create leg constructs... Ended up being tricked by Neron into selling his soul for more power.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  29. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

A Mr Terrific with magic knowhow and a Green Ring is a very strong champion. They will need it though.

LawWilk, Vorian, asparagus and 8 others like this.
  30. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

Was this the green ring that Kyle Rayner had when he died? I'm assuming that Purgatory murdered the previous GL and the ring just shut down and or escaped when it sensed the demonic corruption taking over.